Columbia River Classic, Portland, Oregon, Sept 4-6, 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:06

Posted Image Posted Image

First photo: nice cross-section of Formula 5000 cars...Bruce Leeson, ex-Prophet McLaren, Miles Jackson, ex-Pilette/VDS Chevron, etc. Jackson won two races that I saw. Some pretty evenly matched cars. Second photo: Jay Esterer, on the right, won the third race I saw in his ex-McRae McRae.

First photo: Jay Esterer also won some races with his ex-Drolsom/Dutton, etc. McLaren M8C. Second photo: Ike Smith works on a 1972 Lola T330, described as HU 14A, which is for sale. I have more info on this car. Also, David Isselhard has his McLaren M10A and Al Moore has his Surtees TS8 for sale.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 16 September 2010 - 06:37.

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 23:09

Ian Wood of Vancouver has purchased a McLaren M12. He hopes to be racing it next spring. In the photo on the left, he spent considerable time with Jay Esterer (left) and Ike Smith (right) discussing set-up and specs. In the photo on the right, he is talking with Tony Adamowicz, who raced an M12 for Lothar Motschenbacher in 1970. Unfortunately, Ian had an "off" with his Rawlson on the Sunday afternoon. Here is his description:

"...Third lap of the Sunday...race I was going into turn 4 [long right hander after festival turns] at my usual speed when something let go in the left front & I could not turn in. Out in the marbles, then the grass, the car felt like it was speeding up. The tire wall coming closer & closer------ I was on for the ride. I pulled my leg up on impact & entered the tire wall. I was fine, the body got pushed over my head, as I got out I could see a wrinkle in the tub just under my left heel. The tub is folded in quite badly, but I was just fine, even the next day. What happened is the left front tire had deflated & pushed off it's bead. So I have to completely strip the chassis & get it rebuilt..."

Posted Image

Pierre Phillips with his old Lola T140. In this car, Pierre apparently won the August, 1968 Nationals at Kent, Washington, was fourth in the runoffs, and also raced it in New Zealand. See post 208 on this webpage:

http://forums.autosp...w...3425&st=200

The car now belongs to Bruce Sevier of Sacramento. Phillips spent lots of time with Sevier and his crew on Sunday afternoon, and Pierre and I watched one of the Formula 5000 races.

Vince H.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 19:01

Posted Image

Ike Smith works on a 1972 Lola T330, described as HU 14A, which is for sale. I have more info on this car.

Vince H.

Great thread Vince - but somehow I didn't notice it.

Could you tell me more about "HU 14A". I only know what is says in the race-cars.com advert plus the comparison I can make with another car on my Lola T330 page.

If you prefer, my email is allen@oldracingcars.com.