Photo

Record Bristols display at Filton

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:41

As part of yesterday’s celebration at Filton to mark 100 years of aviation prowess in Bristol since the foundation of the Bristol Aeroplane Company in 1910, the Bristol Owners Club organised a record gathering of Bristol cars from all over the world. Around 240 cars turned up, which is reckoned to be about 5% of all Bristols ever made.

Here’s a small selection of them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ancestor
Posted Image

Type 400
Posted Image

One of only two Type 400 Cabriolets
Posted Image

Type 400 engine
Posted Image

Pininfarina-bodied 401 – two of the six made were here
Posted Image

Beautiful 404 – my favourite
Posted Image

Zagato-bodied 406
Posted Image

Arnolt-Bristol
Posted Image

Posted Image

A few of the other interesting cars on display:

Riley Kestrel
Posted Image

Lotus Mk VI
Posted Image

Immaculate Lotus Elite
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:44

Not just any Riley Kestrel but a 16/4 (2443 c.c) one!
Good to know that a sense of history is still active at Filton where British and Colonial Aeroplane Company, Ltd (as I'm sure it said somewhere!) was founded in 1910 and where aeroplanes (or at least major components thereof) are still designed and made, unlike a lot of former British aeroplane-making sites.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 19 September 2010 - 10:45.

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:21

Fab pics Tim thanks for sharing :up:

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:46

Good to know that a sense of history is still active at Filton where British and Colonial Aeroplane Company, Ltd (as I'm sure it said somewhere!) was founded in 1910 ...

Spot on, Allan - my mistake. As part of the celebration there was an impressive flying display highlighted by an Airbus A380, a Mustang and Avro Vulcan XH558. The A380 was incredible - it appears to defy the laws of physics as it takes off and manoeuvres at such amazingly low speeds.

Art - I'm sorry you couldn't make it. Your impressive photographic skills would have done the Bristols far more justice than my poor efforts.

#5 cyrilmac

cyrilmac

• 439 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:19

Ah ! That explains the more interesting traffic than normal on the M5 yesterday evening.
I was impressed by the particularly low VC-10 which appeared to be trying to join me in my cab between Cribs Causeway and Avonmouth ! Wish I'd seen the A380 though.
Excellent photo's Tim

Edited by cyrilmac, 19 September 2010 - 15:21.

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 17:02

The A380 was incredible - it appears to defy the laws of physics as it takes off and manoeuvres at such amazingly low speeds.

In my experience big aeroplanes always seem to be moving slowly and I put it down to my (our) sense of scale being upset. That, too, is why a Pitts Special goes so fast!
In the 1950s I saw B36s moving slowly and when I first saw the Boeing 747 at Paris in 1969 it was pretty slow-looking. By then, of course, I was technically competant enough to know what the speed must have been, but it still looked slow. I retired before the A380 flew so I've not yet seen it.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 17:47

The last time I saw so many Bristols was on the beach in Nice last year!

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 17:51

In my experience big aeroplanes always seem to be moving slowly and I put it down to my (our) sense of scale being upset.

I'm sure you're right. At yesterday's display there was an early Antonov, described as the world's largest single-engined biplane, which could fly so slowly that at one point, flying into the wind, it was virtually stationary relative to the ground. I've also seen aircraft such as the Fieseler Storch apparently flying backwards. However, the sight of this enormous A380 flying (as it seemed) so slowly was much more mind-boggling.

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 17:58

I was impressed by the particularly low VC-10 which appeared to be trying to join me in my cab between Cribs Causeway and Avonmouth !

It was even lower when it got to us, Cyril - we could hear the noise but couldn't see it. Then it suddenly leapt out from behind the trees ...

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 18:09

The last time I saw so many Bristols was on the beach in Nice last year!

Heavens, Barry - all that sand. Won't have done their Enots one-shot hydraulic chassis lubrication systems (standard Bristol equipment) any good at all.

#11 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 18:14

Er.... what you said!

#12 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 19:55

TNF comes over all 'ooh err missus' !

On a point of order, the beach at Nice is very definitely not sand - it's big stones - make of that what you will !

#13 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:52

Beautiful 404 – my favourite
Posted Image

Zagato-bodied 406
Posted Image

Wow! What a lovely pair of Bristols! :blush:

#14 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 15:17

TNF comes over all 'ooh err missus' !

On a point of order, the beach at Nice is very definitely not sand - it's big stones - make of that what you will !

Big stones and Bristol's, if you and Barry are to be believed :smoking:

Edited by arttidesco, 20 September 2010 - 15:18.

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:17

Meanwhile, down at the Revival we had what was described to me as the ex Sir Peter Masefield, sp?, former Chairman of BAC, 1938 Pontiac 8 on show. It had been his at Filton for years where it was remodelled to his own particular taste, prior to beingleft in storage for some 40years. Most people probably missed it
Roger Lund

#16 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:36

Most of Bradley Stoke was stationary and watching the sky when the A380 flew around. It just doesn't look right when it is that low and then lowers its nose towards the ground further.....

Some of the things buzzing around the neighbourhood that afternoon:

http://www.facebook....mp;l=9e483ee20d

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:50

Most of Bradley Stoke was stationary and watching the sky when the A380 flew around. It just doesn't look right when it is that low and then lowers its nose towards the ground further.....

Some of the things buzzing around the neighbourhood that afternoon:

http://www.facebook....mp;l=9e483ee20d

A shame none of the made it as far as Cotham ! Thanks for sharing Darren :up: