- - - - -

Josh Hill announces retirement from racing [edited title]

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:26

i haven't been following him but i caught his FFord race at Donnington today and he seems really racey, more aggressive than his dad and with a good cool head for racecraft.

Anyone following him? what do you think of his potential?

Edited by SophieB, 10 July 2013 - 12:03.
edited title from 'what's the call on Josh Hill?' in light of news.

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:53

Too early to say he'll turn into anything, too early to write him off.

#3 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 14:22

2 years in Formula Ford,
hasn't been bad at the moment,
a good progress from last year... so far.
But I can't see his name between stars... not yet anyway.

http://forix.com/dri...&...1010900&c=0

Edited by Jedi_F1, 19 September 2010 - 14:22.

#4 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:05

they mentioned the team was Damon racing, i presume that's his dad's team and not just a coincidence? he crashed out of the second race but his first was a cracking drive.

i'm not a subscriber jedi, can't access that unfortunately.

Edited by Boing 2, 19 September 2010 - 15:05.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:19

Should be Jamun racing, they run Mygales and have been very successful over the years.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:29

I saw him at Combe at the end of last year. He started from the back and made up positions nicely, and it was good seeing that helmet again. Josef Newgarden, now of GP3, was very very impressive though, and backed by Bryan Herta and Jeremy Shaw's Team USA racing scholarship.

Difficult to say whether either of them will 'make it', though, all racing's a learning process. I've always found Formula Ford pretty good to watch on its own merits though, unlike most other junior formulae.

#7 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:33

Should be Jamun racing, they run Mygales and have been very successful over the years.

right, cheers, just a pronounciation thing then.

#8 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:36

I saw him at Combe at the end of last year. He started from the back and made up positions nicely, and it was good seeing that helmet again. Josef Newgarden, now of GP3, was very very impressive though, and backed by Bryan Herta and Jeremy Shaw's Team USA racing scholarship.

Difficult to say whether either of them will 'make it', though, all racing's a learning process. I've always found Formula Ford pretty good to watch on its own merits though, unlike most other junior formulae.

haven't watched FFord for years, i did a bit of pre 85 in the mid 90's and it was great craic to see them live (formula vee was better though) never really followed much on tv though. I think i'll try to watch the rest of this season, it looks teriffic.

#9 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 15:57

Ross is correct....

But he had 2 wins at Donnington this weekend.

Formula Ford, no wings, great racing...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 19 September 2010 - 17:29.

#10 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 19:11

I don't think Josh has been running Formula Ford for 2 years ?

Can remember a couple of years ago he was running in Ginetta Juniors and was being interviewed on TV, they asked if his Dad helps with advice etc, the reply was "Sort of, but in qualifying I ignored what he said and went quicker" :lol:

In other news Dean Stoneman, an ex FFord racer won the F2 championship this year and gets a test with Williams.

#11 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 19:21

I don't think Josh has been running Formula Ford for 2 years ?

Crafty,
2009 & 2010 is kinda 2 years =

he was 11th last year in the 2009 Formula Ford UK with 2 podiums & 2 fastest laps

this year, until race 20 (without the results of this weekend at Donington)
he's 5th with 3 wins, 10 podiums, 3 pole positions & 1 fastest lap

http://www.forix.com...=...1010900&c=0

#12 HappySachs

HappySachs

• 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 19:51

Saw him at Brands hatch during the DTM round there, he pulled off some good overtaking to fight from 4th to 2nd. He pulled out what I thought was the best overtake of the day to retake 2nd place after losing the position after a failed move for 1st. At the end of the straight he faked to the outside, the guy in front moved to cover and he went up the inside at paddock hill, considering the nature of that corner it was very well judged.

I'd not seen the formula fords before, I got the impression that it's very much a learner series so probably way too early to judge him.

#13 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 20:45

Saw him at Brands hatch during the DTM round there, he pulled off some good overtaking to fight from 4th to 2nd. He pulled out what I thought was the best overtake of the day to retake 2nd place after losing the position after a failed move for 1st. At the end of the straight he faked to the outside, the guy in front moved to cover and he went up the inside at paddock hill, considering the nature of that corner it was very well judged.

I'd not seen the formula fords before, I got the impression that it's very much a learner series so probably way too early to judge him.

It's an indicator. The first time I saw Fittipaldi in an FF coming round Paddock, I turned to my friend and said "World Champion?". You can instantly see who has great car control. Remember, Josh only started racing at 15, he didn't do the karting thing, so he's probably 7 or 8 years short on experience compared to the others.

#14 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 23:25

Formula Ford is not the class it once was, so it's hard to judge really. The quality really isn't there to compare him against. It's very rare you'll even see top flight karters move into FF nowadays. it's usually Formula Renault or F3 or BMW.

Edited by rhukkas, 19 September 2010 - 23:26.

#15 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:54

Given that he's getting an above average amount of attention because of his name, I think he's doing a fairly good job. In the Ginettas he was doing well, even though he'd not done karting like the others had.

I'm just enjoying seeing the London Rowing Club colours out there once again.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:06

Wouldn't the above average attention mean he's being talked about more than the results would normally suggest?

#17 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:26

Given that he's getting an above average amount of attention because of his name, I think he's doing a fairly good job. In the Ginettas he was doing well, even though he'd not done karting like the others had.

I'm just enjoying seeing the London Rowing Club colours out there once again.

Josh did do a bit of karting with Club100 for a year or two I am pretty sure.

Edited by rhukkas, 20 September 2010 - 11:27.

#18 schtix

schtix

• 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:34

Everyone is completely on the fence then.

I'll stick my neck out and say he will be a three times Formula One world champion, but his first season in F1 will be sometime between 2013-2015 and it will be the first full season of the post Bernie era.

#19 jumpeyspyder

jumpeyspyder

• 64 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:49

Interesting thread as I caught the race - the last FF race I saw his dad was racing a Van Diemen :blush:

I thought josh did well. It's is early to tell his full potential but I rekon he might have a chance, it would be really interesting to see if he can make it to F1

Advertisement

#20 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 18:49

Crafty,
2009 & 2010 is kinda 2 years =

he was 11th last year in the 2009 Formula Ford UK with 2 podiums & 2 fastest laps

this year, until race 20 (without the results of this weekend at Donington)
he's 5th with 3 wins, 10 podiums, 3 pole positions & 1 fastest lap

http://www.forix.com...=...1010900&c=0

Bah, okay 3 or 4 years ago :p

#21 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 20:00

I'm on the fence too, his name might work in favour though and shift him into the right circles for success if he does his part on track.

#22 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 20:05

Josh did do a bit of karting with Club100 for a year or two I am pretty sure.

I gave a comparative. Some of those he is competing against have been Karting for over 10 years. He, like his father and grandfather was a late starter.

#23 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,050 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 23:32

Saw him pull off a great win at Silverstone under immense pressure from 3-4 other squabbling cars.

#24 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:14

Wouldn't the above average attention mean he's being talked about more than the results would normally suggest?

Of course; but then, so was his father, whose results were also nothing special in FF and F3, and look how he turned out...............

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:17

Damon raced in Formula Ford when it was a much stronger series and had much better results, even if we only take their first year, than Josh had.

#26 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:24

Saw him pull off a great win at Silverstone under immense pressure from 3-4 other squabbling cars.

yeah, that's the reason i started the thread, don't automatically get excited about second/third generation drivers but he seemed to cope with the pressure well and drove very intelligently. Having said that he did run up someones arse in race two....

#27 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:09

Damon raced in Formula Ford when it was a much stronger series and had much better results, even if we only take their first year, than Josh had.

Damon was a bike racer before he went to cars. It's not the same as racing a car, but he had experience of racing. Josh was completely green going into his Formula Ford career.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:29

Except for Ginettas, karting, etc.

#29 sherer

sherer

• 145 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 13:55

too early to say. As we have seen time and again with others some drivers just seem to work in one formula and not others. Maybe he will be average all the way to F1 and then just really gel with a car. He might have a stand out year on the way up and not able to progress to the next series beyond that.

Hope he does well this could be the British version of the Andretti's, Unsers and Foyts

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:58

Anyone following Josh's career might want to watch the documentary on Sky Sports this week. See link for broadcast times.

http://www.facebook....150960615335128

#31 jonnoj

jonnoj

• 1,114 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 13:09

Anyone following Josh's career might want to watch the documentary on Sky Sports this week. See link for broadcast times.

Sky Sports ! From what I've read, there are only about 6 here who pay for that.

#32 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:27

Wow he really has his grandad's chin!

#33 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:49

He's been doing okay, steady progress in the main FRenault series but changed teams for the winter series and had 6 poles out of 6! only picked up a couple of wins though after a fair bit of bad luck, but it showed some promise, perhaps next year he can kick on but i think he'll have is work cut out with oliver rowland around.

#34 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:59

A bit erratic at present, but then so were Graham & Damon when they started. Remember he is very inexperienced compared to those he is racing against, they've been doing it for about 10 years.

#35 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:02

Big decision @joshhillracing to stop motorsport. "I do not want to compete unless I am 100% devoted"

#36 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:30

It's suggested that he's got some opportunities outside of the sport. You never know, he might do a Stefan Bradl and return. Regardless, the best of luck to him.

#37 isthatglock?

isthatglock?

• 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:32

I've not seen him race, just heard the odd comment from his dad. Be dream if he made it. THREE generations! If he won the F1 tile that would be amazing. I hope he does! Must check him out.

#38 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:35

I've not seen him race, just heard the odd comment from his dad. Be dream if he made it. THREE generations! If he won the F1 tile that would be amazing. I hope he does! Must check him out.

Erm... a couple of posts above?

Anyway best of luck to Josh.

#39 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:48

Well, I think it's a good decision by him.
Would make an easier life, other than trying so hard and never getting what he'd want (F1). I doubt he's good enough.

Regardless, brave decision. I hope he can still have fun from racing as a hobby.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:14

Seems a bit of a shame but I'm sure he's being realistic about it all. To be a successful racing driver you need to be 100% committed. If his heart isn't in it he shouldn't be wasting his time. I'm sure he'll have no trouble competing at am amateur level if he still wants the racing buzz though, and I wish him all the best with his career, whatever it may be.

#41 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:02

I've raced with him in karts a few times, he enjoys his racing and is alright.

I never thought he would 'make it' in F1 but he could have been a half decent professional driver in the future. However, if your hearty's not 100% in it and the results aren't coming, justifying a EuroF3 budget becomes untenable.

Hope to see him out in a kart again sometime, cut loose and just enjoy racing. It's fun!

#42 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 180 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:48

Shame, I've been impressed by him. Does anyone know what his "other activities" are? Does he have another career lined up?....rock star?.....motorcycle messenger?

#43 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:49

The decision probably took a lot of guts. Good luck to him.

#44 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:59

He looked a decent peddler. If he would have been happy to be competitive in the upper echelons of the European single-seater scene until he got too old for consideration for an F1 chance, then perhaps graduate into GTs or touring cars, he could have forged a career in motor racing, though I doubt he'd have ever earned much, if any, money doing it. If on the other hand he wanted to be as successful as his father or grandfather, then in truth, given how competitive the field is these days, it was probably already too late for that when he started, and he's probably right to pursue an alternative career. He was virtually a grown man before he even started karting. It's amazing that he did as well as he did in car racing.

I have to say, though, I think it's poor form to leave your team in the lurch mid-season and to rely on your dad to ring the team boss to give him the news. He's not covered himself in glory there, and it would make things much harder for him in the event he were to change his mind later.

#45 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:27

The decision probably took a lot of guts. Good luck to him.

It can't of been easy to tell yourself that you're never going to make it as a racing driver. Fair play to him, some try vainly well into their thirties trying to reach the top, this way Josh gets to save a lot of time, stress and money, and hopefully find something he can enjoy.

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:31

The quote about devotion makes me wonder. Was it just that F3 was too demanding for him or all racing. It comes across as almost myopic because you could do GTs or something and have a less demanding lifestyle.

#47 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:03

Rather like the Mansell's junior and Alex Brundle he never really looked like F1 material, but then so few do. Competent but not spectacular, if you like. Could have had a perfectly reasonable career in sportscars or club racing if he wanted I imagine though. Surprised he gave it up while he could still afford it too, they mostly run out of money and options first. Seems like a nice bloke too, so I wish him well in whatever career he chooses.

Edited by billm99uk, 10 July 2013 - 13:04.

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 18:28

So it looks like he's quit to 'pursue music'. He hasn't been signed to a rock band or anything, he just wants to try it out. So rather than this amazingly brave decision, he just kinda got bored and wandered off to do something else.

I wonder how much more they can squeeze out of this non-story.

#49 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 18:50

Think he should just go to college like the rest of us kids his age. Daddy's money is only going to last so long before the music thing doesn't pan out and you get bored at that as well.

#50 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:57

I can't believe how much media attention this has got. Drivers at this level quit regularly when they know they won't make it, or more likely run out of funds. But apparently his surname makes it major news.

He's off to pursue drumming btw. :cool: