Photo

DKW racing bike

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jap4b

jap4b

• 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 16:41

Hello. All the information present in the pictures bikes and the drivers is welcom. Pictures is taken propably Finland or sweden.
Husqwarna driver is Lars Rehn, but any information about the bike is wellcome.

Pictures are here--> http://picasaweb.google.fi/webvmpk and take old racing bikes

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 17:20

I believe the DKW was described by those who witnessed it as the loudest machine ever heard on the TT course.

If i've got the right bike I think it was a 3 cylinder 2 stroke but technically one cylinder acted only as a supercharger to pump fuel and air into the other two cylinders.

#3 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:06

Those pre-war DKWs were split-singles with a supercharging piston operated in front of the crankcase and induction controlled by a cylindrical rotary valve.
The Audi works takes a keen interest in their DKW and NSU heritage and paraded a couple of bikes in Schotten 6 weeks ago. One the riders was Ralf Waldmann

The noise they are producing is really quite nasty

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rennmax, 25 September 2010 - 18:17.

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:49

Lovely , Renn , :love: thanks for those :up:

#5 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 22:34

Nice bikes those, sound good if I remember right? :) Thanks Renn :wave:

Daisy

#6 Tony L

Tony L

• 20 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:33

There is few DKW-s on this 1939 Eläintarhaajo clip-
http://yle.fi/elavaa...m...;t=29&a=446

#7 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 16:54

In addition to my pics

#8 terryshep

terryshep

• 135 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 13:58

In addition to my pics

Gorgeous pictures, Renn, thinking very strongly of going to Schotten for next year! I heard a story about the Dekavees once, that when the wind was in the right direction they could be heard on the mainland when going down Bray Hill. It's about 40 miles away so it was probably a fisherman's tale, or maybe a golfer's. A bit before my time, I've never heard one in the flesh.

#9 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 17:26

Gorgeous pictures, Renn, thinking very strongly of going to Schotten for next year! I heard a story about the Dekavees once, that when the wind was in the right direction they could be heard on the mainland when going down Bray Hill. It's about 40 miles away so it was probably a fisherman's tale, or maybe a golfer's. A bit before my time, I've never heard one in the flesh.

Hi Terry, would be really great if you intend to include Schotten next year, please keep me informed in due time :up: :up:

Refering to the DKWs, they were, albeit 2 strokes, quite amazing with Ewald Kluge, Ernie Thomas, the great Stanley Woods, Heiner Fleischmann and Siggi Wünsche taking a fair share of success on the island and in the European championship. There was also a 500 cc version, which I think was a double piston twin, Kurt Mansfeld rode one when he was (or not) involved in Guthrie's crash at the Sachsenring in '37 and there was also a 600cc version for sidecar racing. I have just taken a look into Mick Walker's 'German racing motorcycles' book, which is regrettably to no avail for some in-depth information on the bigger Deeks.

Edit
Kurt Mansfeld on the 500 in '35
Posted Image

Edited by Rennmax, 27 September 2010 - 18:02.