Photo

Reinstall Grand Prix Legends if you still have it

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#51 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:15

No, that was me telling you you were knowledgable, but once again youve returned with a majority of insults again.

adult, feeble, deflect? seriously have you got somethingwrong with your head? Im begging to wonder wehther I was right about your ego the first time, and this is your own free time right?

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#52 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:25

You cast aspersions on that comment and vaguely hinted you'd know better because your experience of sims was larger and you'd done a bit of motor-racing. I replied I'd done much the same and offered concrete reasons as to why I felt SCGT was a weak bit of software (poor tyre modelling, poor and inconsistant handling, poor AI, bad optimization

Utter Lies.

And the OP claimed it was "pathetic" that noone had come up with somethign better. I brushed on the fact that some had done some things better. Then you went off on one, after seemingly taking an ego hit... and still are.

Youve done nothing but try to score points and throw insults. The majority of your sentences are made up of insults, Thats f##g sad.
Couldnt give a sh#t how you and others read my posts and lack of sim knowledge, your insult thing has gone way beyond a reasonable poster.
As it turned out reading your reply to another poster, you are knowledagble on your sims, but why the feck do I need to respond to you with new found knowledge on sims? more point scoring on your part? or are there rules in this sim forum?

#53 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:31

Utter Lies.

No, an accurate potted history of your conduct in this thread so far I'm afraid. Of course you can deny it, but it's there for everyone to see . . .

And the OP claimed it was "pathetic" that noone had come up with somethign better. I brushed on the fact that some had done some things better. Then you went off on one, after seemingly taking an ego hit... and still are.

And you still cant tell us what those "some things" are can you? Despite being asked repeatedly to do so.

Youve done nothing but try to score points and throw insults. The majority of your sentences are made up of insults, Thats f##g sad.
Couldnt give a sh#t how you and others read my posts and lack of sim knowledge, your insult thing has gone way beyond a reasonable poster.

More meaningless nonsense designed to keep you from discussing the topic.

As it turned out reading your reply to another poster, you are knowledagble on your sims, but why the feck do I need to respond to you with new found knowledge on sims? more point scoring on your part? or are there rules in this sim forum?

Ok, if you don't think you can handle this discussion in an adult manner than feel free to leave the thread. It's entirely your choice. On current form you won't be missed will you? Come on son, shit or get off the pot, either you want to discuss the merits of what you feel the software you mentioned did better, in which case, produce your evidence (and I'll be a sportsman and ignore that fact that you've already claimed you've forgotten what caused you to dismiss GPL in the first place as it's utterly devastating to your initial, ridiculous, interjection in this thread) or you can **** off. Which is it?

Edited by BorderReiver, 21 October 2010 - 22:34.

#54 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:36

QUOTE (Mr2s @ Oct 21 2010, 23:09) *
once again, I never claimed SCGT was better. Is that 5 times Ive had to remind you now?

*sigh*

Sports car GT (1999), Ferrari F355 Challenge (1999 Arcade, 2000 Dreamcast), Metropolis Street Racer(2000) Those games all had a much better feel to me and did some things better than GPL .As much as I like GPL and know where you're coming from, theres no way it stands out as being the best racing game.

Bold is mine. The inference of your post is fairly clear. You can pretend otherwise all you like, but only at extreme risk to the tiny amount of credibility you have left now.

So, would you like to stop lying and tell us what exactly SCGT did better than GPL an why those titles you mentioned are better than it?

Perhaps this would be easier if you explained why no other game did anything better than GPL. And that why "those" games could not have possibly had a better feel for me. Thats a reword of exactly what I said.
Quoting me makes you look a complete cock again, youre going to have to edit it to make it look like I said SCGT was better.

Perhaps I shoudsl reiterate despite your lies, at no point have I claimed Im a sim expert or that my motorsport expereice was going to be significant to any potential argument.

#55 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:42

And you still cant tell us what those "some things" are can you? Despite being asked repeatedly to do so.

More meaningless nonsense designed to keep you from discussing the topic.

err please....ffs You didnt ask me to explain "some things"
Amoung your insults you repeatedly asked me to explain why I said SCGT was better, when I didnt say that. This is the first time youve even acknowledged what I really said. Up until now youve simply been a knowledgable time waster. Does that score you points? who cares!

and this pretty much answers my question if youre for real or not (at this stage you were still mis quoting me,) :rotfl:

Ok, if you don't think you can handle this discussion in an adult manner than feel free to leave the thread. It's entirely your choice. On current form you won't be missed will you? Come on son, shit or get off the pot,

Edited by Mr2s, 21 October 2010 - 22:48.

#56 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:48

Perhaps this would be easier if you explained why no other game did anything better than GPL.

Never claimed anything of the sort, perhaps you misunderstood, but in the case of SCGT and F355 they did absolutely nothing better than GPL. Zip, nada. For reasons I've already explained. Never played Metropolis Street Racer, but since apparently the best racing game that the Dreamcast came up with before it died on its' arse was that god-awful Le Mans thing . . . I imagine I didn't miss overly much there. GPL itself has been surpassed in many areas since it's release, notably by rfactor and iRacing, but it's still very respectable and still a wonderful sim. The titles you listed weren't. Not even remotely, again for reasons I've noted already.

And that why "those" games could not have possibly had a better feel for me. Thats a reword of exactly what I said

No, it's fundementally different to what you said, representing an attempt at a huge movement of the goalposts, like your belated talk of "exhileration". Sorry.

Quoting me makes you look a complete cock again, youre going to have to edit it to make it look like I said SCGT was better.

I don't have to edit it, its there for all to see. Let's let other people make up their minds shall we, or is trying to alter this history of this thread to support your case all you've got left in the tank?

Perhaps I shoudsl reiterate despite your lies, at no point have I claimed Im a sim expert or that my motorsport expereice was going to be significant to any potential argument.

Except of course that was exactly what you did do in your second post in this thread. Ah well . . . Better luck with your next post. You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common, they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Sadly I suspect you don't fall into the former camp . . .

#57 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:50

err please....ffs You didnt ask me to explain "some things"
Amoung your insults you repeatedly asked me to explain why I said SCGT was better, when I didnt say that. This is the first time youve even acknowledged what I really said. Up until now youve simply been a knowledgable time waster. Does that score you points? who cares!

and this pretty much answers my question if youre for real or not (at this stage you were still mis quoting me,) :rotfl:

So, you're still not going to elucidate what was better about it are you? Instead you're indulging in this rubbish and hoping none of us notice your lamentable lack of content?

So, come on, what did it do better than GPL? Menu Design? Music? Because it sure as hell wasn't in providing a consistantly entertaining and realistic racing sim.

#58 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 23:03

I don't have to edit it, its there for all to see. Let's let other people make up their minds shall we, or is trying to alter this history of this thread to support your case all you've got left in the tank?

post 54 shows the quotes, let them make their minds up indeed.

We're from totally different backgrounds by the looks of it (MAME PC rig ? ) So your one up-mans ship may look great to some posters, but your initial approach at least, still makes you look like a cock to me. Never seen anything like it TBH.

It really wouldnt be difficult to continue with this, given your quote below, but I think other people will make their minds up on that too.
Even if the continual insults are overlooked, a grown man going on to insult well thought of video games themselves, given my very brief comments and blatantly non expert opinion, is bizzare.

Never claimed anything of the sort, perhaps you misunderstood, but in the case of SCGT and F355 they did absolutely nothing better than GPL. Zip, nada. For reasons I've already explained. Never played Metropolis Street Racer, but since apparently the best racing game that the Dreamcast came up with before it died on its' arse was that god-awful Le Mans thing . . . I imagine I didn't miss overly much there. GPL itself has been surpassed in many areas since it's release, notably by rfactor and iRacing, but it's still very respectable and still a wonderful sim. The titles you listed weren't. Not even remotely, again for reasons I've noted already.

Edited by Mr2s, 21 October 2010 - 23:09.

#59 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 23:11

post 54 shows the quotes, let them make their minds up indeed.

We're from totally different backgrounds by the looks of it (MAME PC rig ? ) So your one up-mans ship may look great to some posters, but your initial approach at least, still makes you look like a cock to me. Never seen anything like it TBH.

It really wouldnt be difficult to continue with this, given your quote below, but I think other people will make their minds up on that too.
Even if the continual insults are overlooked, a grown man going on to insult well thought of video games themselves, given my very brief comments and blatantly non expert opinion, is bizzare.

This is growing tedious in the extreme.

Either answer the questions put to you or go away.

What did SCGT do better than GPL and why?

Advertisement

#60 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 23:24

In your opinion, given that GPL has been such a long lasting game, could time and hardware spec/periphals make a big diffrence to peoples feeling when playing the game?
The reason I ask is I played both back in 1999, on small screens, at work and at home, quickly moved up to a 19" screen and still found SCGT drew me in in terms of exhilaaration, Sounds silly today with the hardware and screen sizes available :confused:
I did brush on this with with the border guy but he went off on a tangent.

I got stuck into both very early on. I got my first wheel at the end of '99 which, of course, changed the way I played and felt amazingly. I was only on a 15" screen back then and GPL was still the one that really grabbed me. The sense of speed was crazy good. I followed through all the ISI games, all the F1 games, then the Simbin releases (which I beta tested for so got to know pretty well) and finally onto rFactor. I'd say it was only the advent of GTL and then GTR2 that really drove me away from GPL and a lot of the magic with Simbin was the sound. The aural experience from them topped everything and there's not much out there even today that will get close.

So, to answer your question, I'd say that screen size didn't make much difference to me but having a wheel brought GPL to life much more than any other game of the time.

Edited by Exar Kun, 21 October 2010 - 23:24.

#61 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 23:38

So, you're still not going to elucidate what was better about it are you? Instead you're indulging in this rubbish and hoping none of us notice your lamentable lack of content?

So, come on, what did it do better than GPL? Menu Design? Music? Because it sure as hell wasn't in providing a consistantly entertaining and realistic racing sim.

given my now heavily criticised intial comment about well thought of video games, are you seriosuly still seeking some kind of win in this thread?
is that why youve jabbered on and on, mis quoted me and lied? to score agaisnt someone youve already continually put down and insulted?
so youve proved youre more knowledge but still look a complete cock imo, nice going.

None of this has any affect on how 2 video games left an impression on me in 1999, I was there I played them, I felt the way I did, There are no rules, i owe you f#ck all. :confused:
Neither does my sheer lack of knowledge on Microprose F1 GP affect the hours and hours of fun I had with that game in 1992 and me giving my opinion of it doesnt require me to raise my game to your f#cking level, now seemingly rather sad level :rolleyes:
Thats probably the game Ive had the most hours on, continually played at work on modems for hours on end over a long period. the game overall thats had the biggest lasting impression on me, yet can I talk about what it did and didnt do well? no I cant. Did I enjoy it and get to think I was really in a race? yes I and many friedsn at that time did. So f#ck off with your continual quest for one up mans ship, it was never needed at any point. I gave you chance to show off your knowledge early on and you ignored that but forced an argumebnt over ego. sad.

So there is is, Microprose F1 GP, and I know **** all about it, you win right ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr2s, 21 October 2010 - 23:39.

#62 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 23:41

given my now heavily criticised intial comment about well thought of video games, are you seriosuly still seeking some kind of win in this thread?
is that why youve jabbered on and on, mis quoted me and lied? to score agaisnt someone youve already continually put down and insulted?
so youve proved youre more knowledge but still look a complete cock imo, nice going.

None of this has any affect on how 2 video games left an impression on me in 1999, I was there I played them, I felt the way I did, There are no rules, i owe you f#ck all. :confused:
Neither does my sheer lack of knowledge on Microprose F1 GP affect the hours and hours of fun I had with that game in 1992 and me giving my opinion of it doesnt require me to raise my game to your f#cking level, now seemingly rather sad level :rolleyes:
Thats probably the game Ive had the most hours on, continually played at work on modems for hours on end over a long period. the game overall thats had the biggest lasting impression on me, yet can I talk about what it did and didnt do well? no I cant. Did I enjoy it and get to think I was really in a race? yes I and many friedsn at that time did. So f#ck off with your continual quest for one up mans ship, it was never needed at any point. I gave you chance to show off your knowledge early on and you ignored that but forced an argumebnt over ego. sad.

So there is is, Microprose F1 GP, and I know **** all about it, you win right ? :rolleyes:

Without a doubt that was the most irrational and hysterical post I've ever read on this, or indeed any other forum. I'm sorry you've shown yourself utterly incapable of engaging in a debate and I suggest you go and calm down before you do yourself a mischief.

#63 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:05

Without a doubt that was the most irrational and hysterical post I've ever read on this, or indeed any other forum. I'm sorry you've shown yourself utterly incapable of engaging in a debate and I suggest you go and calm down before you do yourself a mischief.

And Im sorry that it still doesnt help you with regards to ignoring the main part of my second post and going off on one, and sorry about your mistunderstanding.
Im quite certain if i can dedicate any of my free time to post regulary on forums I'll get my point across better, but hey thats not really going to be important when you have stubbernly tried to show me up. Why an earht you feel the need to use words like hysterical and utterly incapable, in a social area that is pretty much nothing how we would treat each other in real life, is beyond me.
Again, Im at work (now into overtime) and youre carrying om like this, in your own free time? This really isnt what I aspire to. If the truth be known the later it gets the more I could rabble on (typos inc) and make less sense. Despite your claims, thats quite common across forums, not eevryone is highly strung enough to give a f##k. In fact from my real life expereicnes, know it alls like yourself would look out of place this time of night.
I think youve had your day, your opinion of me is obviously low enough for you to feel good about yourself. Well done.

#64 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:15

any chance we can get back on topic?
GPL was one of the first and if not the best racing game I've played. fingers crossed I still have a copy somewhere :)

#65 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:17

any chance we can get back on topic?
GPL was one of the first and if not the best racing game I've played. fingers crossed I still have a copy somewhere :)

If you can find one (ebay usually has a couple knocking about) I heartily recommend the 1965 and Thundercars mods. And the Sports Cars look excellent too, but we'll have to wait and see for now :).

#66 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:35

I got stuck into both very early on. I got my first wheel at the end of '99 which, of course, changed the way I played and felt amazingly. I was only on a 15" screen back then and GPL was still the one that really grabbed me. The sense of speed was crazy good. I followed through all the ISI games, all the F1 games, then the Simbin releases (which I beta tested for so got to know pretty well) and finally onto rFactor. I'd say it was only the advent of GTL and then GTR2 that really drove me away from GPL and a lot of the magic with Simbin was the sound. The aural experience from them topped everything and there's not much out there even today that will get close.

So, to answer your question, I'd say that screen size didn't make much difference to me but having a wheel brought GPL to life much more than any other game of the time.

One of the reasons I asked, is a mate has an old Colin McRae rally game (PC). He built a full on cabinet/pod with G25 wheel in his (cough) study. He stubbernly will not look at any other game, Ive mentioned R factor to him, liveforspeed etc, joining me on some consoles games., he wont have any of it, he's not a PC person though. This game is the be all and end all of games to him (sims if you like) I have to admit his setup was impressive and did leave me feeling, eer whast the word? put it this way I was grinning from ear to ear playing the game. However when firing the game up on the PC at home it just wasnt quite the same. You probably know whats coming next, but Ive toyed with the idea of building the driving cab and Id probably want to run a number of games on it, inc GPl :) . Not sure if the magic would wear off though, perhaps some of it is down to nostalgia from the arcades :confused:

#67 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:36

Well this thread went to hell.

Mr2s, please go start a SCGT and F355 thread. I'm sure it will be hugely popular....

On the other hand, its making me want to pull out GPL, GTL and GTR2 again! :)

#68 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:39

If he likes Colin McRae than Dirt 2 is the successor. (and a little better in my opinion)

Another Dirt is due out soon too I believe.

#69 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:44

If you can find one (ebay usually has a couple knocking about) I heartily recommend the 1965 and Thundercars mods. And the Sports Cars look excellent too, but we'll have to wait and see for now :).

not being picky but theres plenty on there as I d have expcted, but big box version only went for 99p (kept it all this time hoping it would be collectable :( )
looks like I'll be reinstalling it anyway after this thread, either that or smash my head with a hammer :well: .

#70 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 00:53

either that or smash my head with a hammer :well: .

You got a good doctor mate?

#71 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:01

You got a good doctor mate?

he would lock me up if i told him id smashed myself on the head because of online video game shenanigans?;)
Better dig that GPL box out sometime....

#72 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,584 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:52

Well this thread went to hell.

I hope I don't get in trouble for starting it.

#73 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:53

1 month ban! :rotfl:

#74 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:14

you repeatedly asked me to explain why I said SCGT was better, when I didnt say that.

Look what I've found! :rotfl:

Ferrari F355 Challenge Dreamcast/Arcade

Sportscar GT PC (slightly over 10 years but better than GPL from that era IMO )

When you've dug out that box you can use it as a base to write out "I must not tell lies" 100 times before you can go home.

You really are one of the most pathetic individuals I've ever seen on these boards. I'd ask for an apology but I don't think you're man enough to offer one.

#75 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:41

Look what I've found! :rotfl:

When you've dug out that box you can use it as a base to write out "I must not tell lies" 100 times before you can go home.

You really are one of the most pathetic individuals I've ever seen on these boards. I'd ask for an apology but I don't think you're man enough to offer one.

Let me give you some advice . When you drag yourself away from your computer long enough to have a real life debate with a group of people, never use phrases like "thats painfully embarrassing" especially when you misheard someone.

GPL was originally flawed out of the box and I defended my right to walk away from it and get a buzz elsewhere. There is enough evidence online to prove I wasnt the only one.

It should not have been difficult to see for anyone else not set on throwing insults, that SCGT with force feedback could have felt better than GPL without.

When most of us take to motorsport its because of the buzz and exhilaration. GPL was frustrating for many people. I know very few people who've stepped into racing vehicles looking for a buzz to find it frustrating. Any person with a stable mind would see where Im coming from, if not, no stable minded person would continually seek to insult misread what Ive said and go on to claim they were debating.

I defended my opinion of finding a buzz elsewhere. Not only did you insult that opinion, you insulted the likes of surround screens and force feedback that wasnt available at home in the same quality for 7 years after.

You're a sad case, who looking back at your totally outrageous remarks, will need to seek help at some point in the future. You've even gone looking to trip me up elsewhere which is pretty sad after first calling me "new" and later proving my debating skills online are poor. Making statements like "thats painfully embarrassing" and the continual insults are not part of a debate in my mind. I avoided being drawn in to criticize GPl because of your debating skills are outrageously pompous.
Do you honestly think everyone is impressed with 9,000 posts and 7 years work of forum activity?

After a good nights sleep your ego still seems to be hurting enough to trip me up. SCGT felt (there I said again) better for me. IMO was better experience for its force feedback out of the box.
GPL may have gone to to be fixed and have more drivable cars, that doesnt change my initial experiences.

Edited by Mr2s, 22 October 2010 - 12:04.

#76 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:04

Let me give you some advice . When you drag yourself away from your computer long enough to have a real life debate with a group of people, never use phrases like "thats painfully embarrassing" especially when you misheard someone.

Misheard? Sorry, it's down there in black and white, everyone can read it and make up their own mind and decide on the appalling level of mendacity you've employed in this debate so far. It is painfully embarrassing, I'm embarrassed for you. You've been definitivly pegged as a peddlar of falsehood. Facts are facts.

GPL was originally flawed out of the box and I defended my right to walk away from it and get a buzz elsewhere, I wasnt the only one.

Right then, a definitive statement, GPL was flawed, how was it flawed? Tell us. Present your evidence.

It should not have been difficult to see for anyone else not set on throwing insults, that SCGT with forcefeedback felt better than GPL without.

It seems virtually everyone disagrees with you though doesn't it? Anyway, I thought you said you couldn't remember what you disliked about GPL? It seems your story changes as soon as someone challenges you on it . . .

When most of us take to motorsport its because of the buzz and exhilaration. GPL was frustrating for many people. I defended my opinion of finding a buzz elsewhere. Not only did you insult that opinion, you insulted the likes of surround screens and force feedback that wasnt available at home in the same quality for 7 years after.

Surely this just contradicts what you just said about SCGT being better because it had force feeback (you are, I take it, aware that GPL always had force feedback options and you just had to enable it in the .ini file)? Suddenly one title is "better" (your words, undeniably) because it had Force Feedback in 1999, and GPL's wasn't apparently relevant until 2005? Is that your case now? Seriously? Feeble, utterly utterly feeble.

Edited by BorderReiver, 22 October 2010 - 12:04.

#77 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:04

You're a sad case

:rotfl: The man who has just been shown up for the petty little liar he is is lecturing others is he?

who looking back at your totally outrageous remarks will need to seek help at some point in the future.

Perhaps I will, but whatever I'll need help with it won't be in learning how to construct an consistant argument and not sulking when people take me to task for mendacity during it.

Youve even gone looking to trip me up elsewhere which is pretty sad

No, it's just utterly, utterly, devastating to what was left of your credibility, and your angry about it. That's alot closer to the truth I think.

after first calling me "new" and later proving my debating skills online are poor.

You are new, and your debating skills are below poor. They are farcical. Sorry to have to break it to you.

Making statements liek "thats painfully embarrassing" and the continual insults are not part of a debate in my mind.

Awww, do the big boys play rough? :rolleyes: Grow up. You spouted bullshit, lied when challenged on it, and are now in the bitter recrimination phase. Either start defending yourself properly or leave this discussion.

I avoided being drawn in to criticise GPl because of your debating skills are outrageously pompous.

Perhaps they are, they also cite evidence, are grounded in fact, are consistant and use concrete examples of what you actually said. You just obfuscate and then throw your rattle out of the pram when people pick up on it. I'm sorry if somehow not pulling my punches when dealing with someone who is now demonstrably mendacious is pompous . . . what can I say? I don't suffer fools gladly.

After a good nights sleep your ego still seems to be hurting enough to trip me up.

If by "trip you up" you mean "illustrate precisely and definately that your entire defence of yesterday evening was built on utter bullshit" then yes, I'm guilty as charged.

#78 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:08

GPL may have gone to to be fixed and have more drivable cars, that doesnt change my initial experiences.

Fixed how exactly? Come on. Tell us. How were the cars made more driveable? The physics model has basically remained exactly the same, so I'd be keen to know what you're prattling about now . . . Are you one of these clowns who left the ride-heigh set to one inch and wondered why you going straight on under breaking?

I'm starting to think you just weren't very good at it, thought you were being cheated because of your own lack of competance, and assumed everyone else gave up as easily as you did . . .

I'll remind you, you were the man who apparently played it only for a very short period of time in 1999, and felt confident enough to come into this forum 11 years later and slate it as worse than the pap you played . . . the burden of proof is on you here . . . Why is GPL worse than SCGT (because, despite your hideous attempts to wriggle out of it, that's precisely what you said and it's there for everyone to see)?

Edited by BorderReiver, 22 October 2010 - 12:13.

#79 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:30

:rotfl: The man who has just been shown up for the petty little liar he is is lecturing others is he?

Perhaps I will, but whatever I'll need help with it won't be in learning how to construct an consistant argument and not sulking when people take me to task for mendacity during it.

No, it's just utterly, utterly, devastating to what was left of your credibility, and your angry about it. That's alot closer to the truth I think.

You are new, and your debating skills are below poor. They are farcical. Sorry to have to break it to you.

Awww, do the big boys play rough? :rolleyes: Grow up. You spouted bullshit, lied when challenged on it, and are now in the bitter recrimination phase. Either start defending yourself properly or leave this discussion.

Perhaps they are, they also cite evidence, are grounded in fact, are consistant and use concrete examples of what you actually said. You just obfuscate and then throw your rattle out of the pram when people pick up on it. I'm sorry if somehow not pulling my punches when dealing with someone who is now demonstrably mendacious is pompous . . . what can I say? I don't suffer fools gladly.

If by "trip you up" you mean "illustrate precisely and definately that your entire defence of yesterday evening was built on utter bullshit" then yes, I'm guilty as charged.

You need to crawl down from your own arse, then sort your ego out. If you cant do that, look back at your posts in 10 years time or so.

To continually claim its me lying and say "its there for all to see" makes you nothing but a troll.

Its blatantly obvious by the few other replies, that you're the only one here interested in your own pompous argument.

Any one of us can google what was wrong with GPL on release. But you're continually reposting making yourself look a bigger cock each time.
Ive contumnually defended my right to walk away from a flawed game, which you throw insults back and challenge my manliness, and you call me childish?

I still cant believe someone would be "painfully embarrassed" in an online social area, after misreading to think I said there would be no force feed back at alll if it wasnt for arcade. When I talked about "advances".
Painfully embarrassed? :lol: what the f#ck are you on?
I could sit here all day cutting and pasting your statements, statements that in real life groups of people would be considered socially challenged. Im guessing that the vast amount of time you've blatantly spent online polishing your ability to put people down, would make you look a complete and utter cock with a group of regular friends down the pub. In the unlikely event you have those type of friends, are they by chance impressed by your 9,000 posts over 7 years? are they impressed with you PC rig ? etc
Or do you indeed realize those topics and the many areas in which you've tried to put me down, really wouldnt cut it in person?

At any point during last nights argument I could have quoted numerous reviews and forum posts in the late 90s, ealry 00's for some substance to back me up over GPL being frustrating and SCGT being a good buzz. Once again Im not the only one. Instead I chose to try to defend myself over constant insults and put downs, which Im confident would not have arose in real life. Youre still wasting time trying to trip me up .

"Painfully embarrassed" Get a life ffs.

Edited by Mr2s, 22 October 2010 - 12:39.

Advertisement

#80 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:47

You need to crawl down from your own arse, then sort your ego out. If you cant do that, look back at your posts in 10 years time or so.

To continually claim its me lying and say "its there for all to see" makes you nothing but a troll.

Its blatantly obvious by the few other replies, that you're the only one here interested in your own pompous argument.

Any one of us can google what was wrong with GPL on release. But you're continually reposting making yourself look a bigger cock each time.
Ive contumnually defended my right to walk away from a flawed game, which you throw insults back and challenge my manliness, and you call me childish?

I still cant believe someone would be "painfully embarrassed" in an online social area, after misreading to think I said there would be no force feed back at alll if it wasnt for arcade. When I talked about "advances".
Painfully embarrassed? :lol: what the f#ck are you on?
I could sit here all day cutting and pasting your statements, statements that in real life groups of people would be considered socially challenged. Im guessing that the vast amount of time you've blatantly spent online polishing your ability to put people down, would make you look a complete and utter cock with a group of regular friends down the pub. In the unlikely event you have those type of friends, are they by chance impressed by your 9,000 posts over 7 years? are they impressed with you PC rig ? etc
Or do you indeed realize those topics and the many areas in which you've tried to put me down, really wouldnt cut it in person?

At any point during last nights argument I could have quoted numerous reviews and forum posts in the late 90s, ealry 00's for some substance to back me up over GPL being frustrating and SCGT being a good buzz. Once again Im not the only one. Instead I chose to try to defend myself over constant insults and put downs, which Im confident would not have arose in real life. Youre still wasting time trying to trip me up . "Painfully embarrassed" Get a life ffs.

Is that a no, you can't tell us what was wrong with GPL then? All you've got left it seems is the playground insult of "Yeh, but you've got no friends". Which is no less innacurate or grounded in reality than the rest of the drivel you've posted on this thread . . . so it comes as no surprise. Of course, for the sake of argument, let's say you're right and perhaps I have absolutely no friends whatsoever and am loathed as an individual in my own private life. You can beleive that if it will stop you sobbing with the frustration of where your own myriad of flaws have led you to in this discussion . . . It still doesn't change the fact that you've demonstrably lied and arsed this thread up epically badly with a performance as a human being, apparently capable of reason, so inept it defies belief. I don't have to "trip you up" (as you're so fond of stampping your feet and wailing) you did it yourself by being an immature, mendacious, whining, inconsistant, cretin. If you had a halfway decent argument born of consistancy with evidence to back it up, it would be impossible for me to point to the numerous examples in this thread where you've been found utterly and pathetically wanting wouldn't it?

I'm afraid I had to dissapoint you, I'll look back on this thread in ten years and still think you're a mendacious, intellecutally redundant and personally vapid individual who instead of trying to defend his argument like an intelligent primate, when repeatedly asked to do so, found himself utterly incapable of such and so resorted to playground whining my 5 year old neice would be embarrassed to employ.

Of course, you might like to redeem yourself and answer the question which has now been put you over and over, and over, and over again.

What were GPL's flaws? What made SCGT better than it?

Edited by BorderReiver, 22 October 2010 - 12:51.

#81 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 15:02

Is that a no, you can't tell us what was wrong with GPL then? All you've got left it seems is the playground insult of "Yeh, but you've got no friends". Which is no less innacurate or grounded in reality than the rest of the drivel you've posted on this thread . . . so it comes as no surprise. Of course, for the sake of argument, let's say you're right and perhaps I have absolutely no friends whatsoever and am loathed as an individual in my own private life. You can beleive that if it will stop you sobbing with the frustration of where your own myriad of flaws have led you to in this discussion . . . It still doesn't change the fact that you've demonstrably lied and arsed this thread up epically badly with a performance as a human being, apparently capable of reason, so inept it defies belief. I don't have to "trip you up" (as you're so fond of stampping your feet and wailing) you did it yourself by being an immature, mendacious, whining, inconsistant, cretin. If you had a halfway decent argument born of consistancy with evidence to back it up, it would be impossible for me to point to the numerous examples in this thread where you've been found utterly and pathetically wanting wouldn't it?

I'm afraid I had to dissapoint you, I'll look back on this thread in ten years and still think you're a mendacious, intellecutally redundant and personally vapid individual who instead of trying to defend his argument like an intelligent primate, when repeatedly asked to do so, found himself utterly incapable of such and so resorted to playground whining my 5 year old neice would be embarrassed to employ.

Of course, you might like to redeem yourself and answer the question which has now been put you over and over, and over, and over again.

What were GPL's flaws? What made SCGT better than it?

This is the first (although still insulting) reply from you that actually borders on debate. You're claims earlier that your rants, constant misquotes and insults were a debate are actually quite shameful to the genuine discussions on autosport and other forums. The one and only reason this thread turned into the mess it is. Accusing me lying and then exclaiming to the thread "look what I found!" and you call me childish?
As poor as I am at getting my point across, I far more regularly enjoy the genuine informative debaters on this forum who are able to approach threads without the aggression and touchyness you first and continued to show. Let alone the constant quest for superiority that followed.

Those millions of google users now likely to come across this thread looking for GPL info as it reaches the top of the search engine, Im sure will quite happily search for the earlier (yes minor) flaws of GPL that contributed to some gamers finding the cars "undrivable", and search for the fact that many people did not get on with the game and stated so on forums.
Also the fact the word "driving on ice" became synonymous with the game. It was pretty much that 'feeling' and my frustration with GPL that made me 'feel' (theres that word again that you based so much of your argument and abuse on) better with SCGT and its force feedback was the better game out of the box. It also became well known that professional drivers said the cars were harder to drive than the real thing ( not that I want to hold that as particularly relevant to me, before you base that on your next socially inept insult).

What you've actually done with your quest for superiority, getting on your high horse from the moment you entered the thread, in the touchy way that you did, is exposed some serious weaknesses. There was absolutely no need for any of it. You made that choice to take the thread where it is. The wording and accusations you've used really wernt fit for the purpose of my comments in trying to defend myself. And I dare say your reply and inevitable attacks to this one will come across as equally stuuning to any onlookers. lWibbling? whining? cretin? Hysterical? I had to go on to inform you my state of mind was more like a zombie as a shift worker approaching 3am, you couldt have been further from the truth.
Your state of mind through this whole thread appears to of someone living in an abusive perhaps violent environment taking it out on a computer. Thats not an accusation , and Im sorry if it's true.
Your style of argument may have been fit for newsgroups over a decade ago among like minded and argumentitive posters with a point to prove, but really doesn't cut it today when there are so many more genuine and interesting debaters.
That fact that you've tried to constantly technically shame over these video games totally misses the point that I had very little time to devote to racing games, but was still looking for a buzz.
I still have very little time to devote to games, but as I was initially drawn to this thread by a game I never put down in the fist place, I'm quite determined to give this new version a try.
Its blatantly obvious you're going to seek the last reply, so over to you....I'm finished with this now.

Edited by Mr2s, 22 October 2010 - 15:08.

#82 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:17

Why? What exactly happens?

Hello Simpson

thank you for you post, sorry it's taking me a wile to reply to you. When I load GPL it load for a few seconds before a window came up titled Grand Prix Legends has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it says as follows We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you where in the middle of some thing, or working on something the information.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have createrd error report, that you can send us. We will treat this report as confident an anonymous

To see what the error report contains click here. Then therfe is two buttons at the botton to the window the sead the error report or “don’t send”.

I run Windonws XP could that be the problem? It play ok untl a upgrade my pc a few years ago

Regards

Mouuserat159

#83 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:34

I haven't read through this whole thread so excuse me if this has been addressed before. I just installed the 1970 WSC mod and find the cars undriveable. The understeer is just incredible. I've never had trouble controlling cars in other mods for rfactor or GPL for that matter. Is there something I'm missing?

#84 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 18:21

To start, make sure that you have "Allow indexing service..." turned on. Right click on the drive that your GPL is in and you'll see this option at the bottom. "Allow indexing" must be enabled for GPL to run. Also make sure that "Compress contents or drive to save space" is not enabled.

#85 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:49

Hi Simpon
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did what you told me to do and the Allow Indexing was already inabled, the same mesage came up when I tried to reload the game. Have you got any other ideas?

Thank you
Mousurat159

To start, make sure that you have "Allow indexing service..." turned on. Right click on the drive that your GPL is in and you'll see this option at the bottom. "Allow indexing" must be enabled for GPL to run. Also make sure that "Compress contents or drive to save space" is not enabled.

#86 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,263 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:22

How did you install GPL on this new(er) computer? Straight from the disc with manual applies of the updates? Old GPL "2004 Demo" install with cars and tracks added afterwards? GPL-Secrets Installer?

#87 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 19:51

The next most likely problem:

Open the season.ini file that you're using to allow tracks to appear in the game. This is usually sierra\gpl\seasons\67season.ini

In the top tool bar, hit File > Save as... and make sure that the encoding is ANSI.

#88 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,584 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 22:52

I haven't read through this whole thread so excuse me if this has been addressed before. I just installed the 1970 WSC mod and find the cars undriveable. The understeer is just incredible. I've never had trouble controlling cars in other mods for rfactor or GPL for that matter. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm not familiar with a 1970 WSC Mod for GPL.

#89 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:39

Thanks Simpson, today I follow your instructon, it was save right but I did hit the "save As" when the note pad was opend up. Istill have the same masage coming up. The introduction video plays well. All the files seem to be in the corect folders.

Thanks

Mouserat159

The next most likely problem:

Open the season.ini file that you're using to allow tracks to appear in the game. This is usually sierra\gpl\seasons\67season.ini

In the top tool bar, hit File > Save as... and make sure that the encoding is ANSI.

Edited by mouserat159, 01 November 2010 - 01:39.

#90 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:26

Could you clarify? When you do "Save as..." what is the encoding shown at the bottom of that window?

#91 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:48

Hi Simpson

when I Save As It got Encoding & ANSI is selected. I can selecet Unicode, Unicode big endian or UTF-8. But yes ANSI is selected and then I pushed "Save AS"

Thank you

Mouserat159

#92 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 16:45

If you have an anti-virus program running, you might try turing it off.

It would also help to know the following:

How did you install GPL?
What graphics card are you using?
What Operating System do you have?

#93 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:31

hello Simpion Thank you once again for your help,it is appreciated. In awncer to you qustion. My Computer is a AMD Athlon(tm || X2 250 Processor, 3.01 GHz, 1.75 GB of Ram Physical Adderss Extension.

Windows XP home addition, Version 2002, Service 3 Pack
I tried turning of my visors Protector to no vale, the same window comes up.
I don't know how to check my ghaphics card but I amidgin in is up to date as I get mt pc's up dated ofen.

I have the game originally bought in 1998 it run fine when I had Windows 98 on my old PC

regards Mouserat159

If you have an anti-virus program running, you might try turing it off.

It would also help to know the following:

How did you install GPL?
What graphics card are you using?
What Operating System do you have?

#94 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:55

Is your graphics card good enough to run any other racing games? If so, I've run out of ideas.

#95 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:33

Hello Simpson
Thank you again for your reply to me. yes my grahics card most be ok, because my pc runs racing games like Need of Speed- Most Wanted, Need of Speed-Carbon,
V8 Supercars-Racedriver, V8 Supercar 3, GTR Fia GT racing game & The R Factor. They all play smoothly & are never a problm. So I can't see that my graphics card is the problem can you? All what I listed above should need reasonable graphics card, shouldn't they?

Thank you for all your help.

Regards, Mouserat159

Is your graphics card good enough to run any other racing games? If so, I've run out of ideas.

#96 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:15

hello Simpion Thank you once again for your help,it is appreciated. In awncer to you qustion. My Computer is a AMD Athlon(tm || X2 250 Processor, 3.01 GHz, 1.75 GB of Ram Physical Adderss Extension.

Windows XP home addition, Version 2002, Service 3 Pack
I tried turning of my visors Protector to no vale, the same window comes up.
I don't know how to check my ghaphics card but I amidgin in is up to date as I get mt pc's up dated ofen.

I have the game originally bought in 1998 it run fine when I had Windows 98 on my old PC

regards Mouserat159

I can't see from your answers if you're just putting the CD in to start the installation, or if you're using one of the GPL Installer utilities that are around?

#97 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 287 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:52

I can't see from your answers if you're just putting the CD in to start the installation, or if you're using one of the GPL Installer utilities that are around?

Hi Snap Matt

Yes, I am putting in my orignal Grad Prix Legends in my D:drive. I have a DVD burner drive, that I use for all my games & burning files to DVD+Rs and CDR's.

Thank you for your help

Mouserat159

#98 Snap Matt

Snap Matt

• 1,157 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 14:36

Hi Snap Matt

Yes, I am putting in my orignal Grad Prix Legends in my D:drive. I have a DVD burner drive, that I use for all my games & burning files to DVD+Rs and CDR's.

Thank you for your help

Mouserat159

http://gplps.org/wb/...r-downloads.php

Try getting the Installer from one of theses links then... it takes all the pain out of making sure you have the right versions of everything.

It ran first time on my PC, also running XP with an AMD processor and a graphics card too old to buy anything comparable these days but still more than was possible when GPL was first released!

#99 simpson

simpson

• 162 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:37

And a newer version of the GPLPS installer is at http://srmz.net/inde...topic=6100&st=0

I'd highly recommend renaming your old installlation and reinstalling with this new installer.

Advertisement

#100 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,584 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:59

The Mod is supposed to be released some time this week. :up: