Photo

Mallala - South Australian circuit

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#101 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:15

The yellow Monaro behind Clem looks like Peter Finch. Could be one of the original Develco cars built by Peter, Simon Aram and Bernie Fitzner.

The yellow Monaro in that shot is the ex Peter Finch car dressed in the Gordon Stephenson colours from circa 1984 - 85. The car was sold into WA in the early '80s and was originally campaigned in WA by Jim Anderson before Stephenson bought the car. I could be wrong, but perhaps this image is from one of the 'Twin State' challenges that took place at Mallala and Wanneroo in the mid '80s.

Edited by haggis, 17 October 2010 - 01:16.

Advertisement

#102 Ken Herd

Ken Herd

• 25 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:35

The yellow Monaro in that shot is the ex Peter Finch car dressed in the Gordon Stephenson colours from circa 1984 - 85. The car was sold into WA in the early '80s and was originally campaigned in WA by Jim Anderson before Stephenson bought the car. I could be wrong, but perhaps this image is from one of the 'Twin State' challenges that took place at Mallala and Wanneroo in the mid '80s.

Not sure if any of the twin state challenges was at Mallala, I remember racing in one of them at AIR though. That was 1989.
That was a great idea, lots of quality cars from WA, Sa and Vic.

#103 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:36

That is Peter Finch before he and the car went to the west. It is one of the early Mallala meetings.
And yes it is a Develco car, as is a lot of Clems Charger.
From memory all the Twin State meetings were at AIR.

#104 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:54

I reckon that is the Elfin 815 it was chassis MR5-5724. It's either Mike Adams or Mike Trengrove at the wheel. Its ex John Walker, Stan Keen, Peter Midleton etc. Now back in original Elfin MR5 form in the hands of Max Floreani and race by son Tony...

Interesting that you mention that. The programme for the event does in fact show an entry for Reg Orr/Mike Trengove (Entrant/Driver) . The vehicle listed is "Elfin MR8C. However it does list it as bearing number "11" not the "6" as in the photo. It appeared to record a victory according to my note. Not unheard of to have discrepancies with vehicle numbers and programmes like this. May well explain this all away.

#105 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 21:11

Interesting that you mention that. The programme for the event does in fact show an entry for Reg Orr/Mike Trengove (Entrant/Driver) . The vehicle listed is "Elfin MR8C. However it does list it as bearing number "11" not the "6" as in the photo. It appeared to record a victory according to my note. Not unheard of to have discrepancies with vehicle numbers and programmes like this. May well explain this all away.

The No 6 may be the Mike Adams car as I remember that car looked far more contemporary than its age in the 1980 Arco series which discouraged airboxes. Though I honestly cannot remember that car at Mallala. I remember it as white when parked at Elfin.If it is the Adams car it is ex Stan Keen and Ford powered.
The Reg Orr car was red and was generally very quick and from my shakey memory had some good battles with Bob Minogue around that period. And looked like a MR8

#106 Bondy

Bondy

• 186 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 21:41

Different car, if it was the same meeting it would be Mike Adams, i think Mike Trengrove may have only raced it when it initially... I did ask Ran MacLurkin son of Ranald, he confirmed it was the car his father later raced.

#107 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 23:26

That is Peter Finch before he and the car went to the west. It is one of the early Mallala meetings.
And yes it is a Develco car, as is a lot of Clems Charger.
From memory all the Twin State meetings were at AIR.

I thought Peter Finch always carried number 16 on the Monaro. This car carries number 75, which is Gordon Stephenson's number. I still think it's Stephenson in the car.

Edited by haggis, 17 October 2010 - 23:27.

#108 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:39

Well, with all the chat here what are we going to do about the 50th Anniversary of Mallala in august next year. I am trying to make sure through Clem Smith and the SCC that we celebrate that date/event.
Also, don't want to age any of you but it will the 30th Anniversary of Historic Easters next year.
By the way John, somewhere in the Shearer archives is a great photo of a lost Nota appearing out of the mist on the top of a spectator mound at Mallala. Don't know how you managed to park it there!!! :lol:

#109 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:43

I would have thought that 'Historic Easters' went back more than 30 years...

The year I competed at one was, I'm sure, 1977. That's a bit over 33 years, events on that week were Historic races at the AIR meeting, followed by a night at a pizza place. Wednesday there was a night at the SCC of SA clubrooms (great slide/photo session), then we visited four nice old car collections on Good Friday.

On Saturday we took some real old racing cars for laps of Nurioopta and Lobethal (when a certain Joan Shearer drove an A-Model Special into the main street of Angaston wondering where the circuit went!). Easter Sunday saw us finish the week off with a hillclimb at Collingrove.

I don't know that this was the first Easter so absorbed in the City of the Churches, and I recognise that there was no full-blown Historic race meeting involved.

But it was certainly a week of concentrated activity (and fun) for the Historics and it proved to me for ever more that John Medley is so right when he says, "The South Australians do it well!"

#110 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:02

John Cummins and John Medley went to Adelaide International Raceway Easter 1975 Historic racing( but it couldnt have been All Historic because that only came the following January at Amaroo) and had an absolutely disastrous time, spending almost all our time filthy and on the ground attending to a recalcitrant racing car. We were awarded the title of Team Crud that Easter, and received The Interstate Challenge Grovelling Mat at Amaroo Jan 1976. There had been historic racing at previous Easters, in (at least) 1969 and 1971.

AnnieOz, that was the photo I referred to earlier( my solicitors also have a copy), but I believe what you should do is raid the family archives and publish here if possible copies of The Annual Photograph which showed us all each Adelaide Easter enjoying old cars and good people over so many of those years.
And, if you walk into Cherryville's front room and turn left you will see(if it's still there) lowest pic in the corner showing me chasing your father around the AIR's banking-- one of my favourite photos, but I have lost my copy. Are you able to copy this for me?

#111 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 00:24

The easter Race Meeting was the Austin 7 Club of SA event.At both AIR and Mallala. I did not think the historics only meeting went back that far.Though historics had a greater representation than most meetings. I am sure I raced at Easter in a Sports Sedan in the 80s and flagged too in the mid to late 70s. Or am I showing my age?
In those days there was a hillclimb on the Easter weekend too, I think it still happens though personally I never did the double

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 21 October 2010 - 00:26.

#112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 13:21

As recounted above, the race meeting was the week prior to Easter...

The main race was a round of the Australian Sports Car Championship (one of the years it was contested by Prod Sports) and Historics were a secondary feature. This was all prior to the re-opening of Mallala, and the hillclimb was on the Easter Sunday. The race meeting was conducted by the management of AIR, not the Austin 7 Club.

The previous year (1976) had seen a race meeting that featured Historics at AIR on April 4 with Collingrove a fortnight later on April 19 (Monday? Easter?), while 1978 saw and Austin 7 Club meeting on Easter weekend with Historics featuring but not excluding others. As this was March 25, it's clear that April 19, 1976 was not Easter, there must be another public holiday in SA - or the date in the report is wrong. Collingrove, incidentally, was held the day after the A7 meeting.

There was either no meeting at all around that time of the year in '79 or there was nobody put a report into RCN. Nor in 1980 or '81, and no Collingroves either. Historic cars got a run at an Easter Austin 7 Club meeting in '82.

#113 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,572 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 19:48

Well, with all the chat here what are we going to do about the 50th Anniversary of Mallala in august next year. I am trying to make sure through Clem Smith and the SCC that we celebrate that date/event.
Also, don't want to age any of you but it will the 30th Anniversary of Historic Easters next year.
By the way John, somewhere in the Shearer archives is a great photo of a lost Nota appearing out of the mist on the top of a spectator mound at Mallala. Don't know how you managed to park it there!!! :lol:

With respect to the Historics I tend to have a one track approach, that is to throw Elfins at the problem!!

#114 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 21:07

There is no hope for you James. Your Elfin disease is clear to all of us here. We all know that your solution to every problem is to throw Elfins at it. I happen to know why: thank you for the lovely baby photo you sent me with your charming mother cradling you as a baby right next to the prototype Elfin 600 in the Elfin factory: clearly you were marked for life.

Not a Mallala but an early 1980s AIR recollection of Elfins: as I juggled and jiggled my front engined 1960 Nota with its unsophisticated suspension around the long tightening righthander up the"other end" of AIR's long circuit I was passed by Dean Hosking in far more sophisticated 1962 Elfin Catalina. I was using all the road, all the throttle, and all the lock that I had; he was smooth and efficient. In my 1960 mind set I recall thinking "There goes tomorrow"

#115 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 21:54

Please note edit to post #83 on this thread. Which I repeat here.

Edit 24/10/10;
On closer examination of the pictures in this post and the program for June 1984 I have to concluded the following pics are most likely from the August 1984 meeting and not June.
The simple reason being Clem's Charger is not listed in the programme at all , nor is he in the results I have recorded. On reflection I believe these pictures are from a later event, most likely August as those meetings usually featured Sports Sedans as one of the main attractions.

#116 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:33

Please note edit to post #83 on this thread. Which I repeat here.

Edit 24/10/10;
On closer examination of the pictures in this post and the program for June 1984 I have to concluded the following pics are most likely from the August 1984 meeting and not June.
The simple reason being Clem's Charger is not listed in the programme at all , nor is he in the results I have recorded. On reflection I believe these pictures are from a later event, most likely August as those meetings usually featured Sports Sedans as one of the main attractions.

In those days Sports Sedans were a staple of every meeting. That was before the proliferation of a multitude of new classes that would be cheaper than Sports Sedans. GpN, Club cars [Improved Production] Or in otherwords pre 64 [then] Sports sedans or Div 2 Sports sedans. Plus HQ etc. Most which struggle to fill a field these days.

Mallala was still there today as I Supersprinted my Div 2 Sports sedan! And will be next week for a State level racemeeting.

#117 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:32

The No6 Elfin is a modified MR5. Modified by Elfin and Doug Trengove into a ground effects car. It was driven by Mike Trengove and Mike Adams. Owned at that time by Mike Adams.
Personally I cannot remember seeing the car, except painted white at Elfin but I have just had someone in who knew the car and can remember seeing it race here.That is what happens when you are a competitor at those meetings, you do not see much racing!
Mike Trengove also drove the Reg Orr car with success

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 26 October 2010 - 04:35.

#118 timbo

timbo

• 314 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 21:15

From the April 1961 edition of Australian Motorsports and Automobiles magazine.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#119 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 22:01

A nice find...

Appropriately crediting Steve Tillett with the efforts and money he put in, though by this time he was only a second string racer.

But did they have to inaccurately name the 'National Council of the CAMS'?

Control freaks they might well be, but it wasn't written into their title!

Advertisement

#120 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:29

I thought Peter Finch always carried number 16 on the Monaro. This car carries number 75, which is Gordon Stephenson's number. I still think it's Stephenson in the car.

You are correct Rob, Finch was never number 75 from any documented results I could find, whereas Gordon Stephenson was always number 75, right from early Caversham days.... Regardless of what event it is, it is Stephenson as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Haggis 2, 31 October 2010 - 04:32.

#121 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:29

Is the yellow Monaro in this pic the one in question.Twin state challenge early 80s

URL=http://img202.imageshack.us/i/img0009copys.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

#122 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 13:05

Is the yellow Monaro in this pic the one in question.Twin state challenge early 80s

URL=http://img202.imageshack.us/i/img0009copys.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

Yes Ken, thats the car,running number 15 so still at that stage owned and run by Peter Finch.

Edited by Haggis 2, 31 October 2010 - 13:06.

#123 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 21:15

And the Commodore is the Tony Parkinson car that went to Bob Jolly in Victoria which raced in many guises up until the late 90s. I think Bob still has what is left after he built his new car, probably a complete near roller.
aAyear plus later the Commodore went to Darwin as a roller.
What happened to Finchys Monaro?

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 13 February 2011 - 10:21.

#124 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 21:17

I managed to find a few more random shots from the 1996 Easter Historics but unfortunately I have no programme so can't identify most of them. The MG TC special at that time was owned/driven by Peter Statton. You will have to excuse my son playing Colonel Light in the second of those pics.

The bike is a Norvin - Norton featherbed frame and Vincent engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#125 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,572 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:35

Thought this might be appropriate on this thread - it'a referring to the 1966 Gold Star rounds.

Anyone got shots?

One thing that stands out is the timing of the two Gold Star rounds run in October... 10th at Mallala (a Monday) and 16th at Sandown.

The cars had appeared (all of them except Spencer Martin's... I think Janey was in Europe at the time and Spencer went with him...) at Warwick Farm on September 15.

Then the Geoghegan car had its engine on the dyno after Warwick Farm and overheating caused it to require a rebuild. In all probability that absorbed a lot of time leading up to Mallala and with Sandown only a few days later they've decided to skip it.

The Mildren team had only just put KB into the 2.5, so they never bothered. Little to gain (on first appearances... but perhaps in hindsight they were very wrong!) and maybe lots to lose as well as the cost.

Cusack... well, Greg had just had the Brabham-type front suspension fitted and the car still wasn't behaving all that well. And Bruce Burr, his chief mechanic, took a trip to America and Japan after Warwick Farm. Greg had nothing to gain either, it seemed.

For Martin, probably having a 12-point lead in the series at that time, combined with the quick turnaround required for the much more important Sandown made the decision easy.

So Harvey had a win and leapfrogged to second place in the pointscore.

I think that probably the only collusion was with the Jane team. With none of their rivals going, they would have rested on their laurels.

All of these clues are in RCN... in the Down Tools column principally, while Bits & Pieces also mentions that the circuit was freshly surfaced for this event.

#126 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:31

The RCN report for the Mallala has a photo of the start of the Sports Car Trophy race with Martin on the front row in Jane's E-Type Lightweight, so Bob Jane Racing were definitely there. I wonder if the no-show by the ANF1 cars may have been more to do with a protest against the timing of the meeting, or even appearance/prize money?

#127 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 00:30

Been busy - that thing called working for a living.
Yes, we will be having an event very close to the August opening in 1961, so hopefully there will be a special celebration.

Easter 2011 does clelbrate 30 years of All Historic meetings in Adelaide with the first of those being held at AIR. You are right in that the Austin 7 Club ran the Easter meetings for a long time and as was part of SA tadition included Vintage and PVT events (we still say we had Historic racing before anyone else - its just that we had kept on including these categories!) As Historic classes grew the numbers included at Easter AIR event gew. When the A7 club decided to no longer run the Easter meeting the HRR/SCC took it over as an all Historic event. Ray, you are right about Speed Week's being a big event. We are hoping to return to something like that this year with a Hillclimb on the Wednesday prior to Easter. I have found one of Dad's famous Hillclimb tours so that will be a socail event on the Tghursday, private practice Friday, Race Meeting Saturday and Sunday, observing ANZAC Day Monday morning with the dinner being held in the evening and then to take advantage of the national public holiday we will hold a sprint meeting at Tailem bend so that people can have a run on the way home.

As for those photos John, I will do my best and see what I can come up with. But I'm not sure who all the young people are in them any more :lol:

#128 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 411 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:27

so........ Why did they shorten Mallala?

#129 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 20:00

Annie
Some of the older ones are unrecognizable too.
Thanks for photo checking
Festive season wishes to all you and yours
JM

#130 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 20:36

Originally posted by Quixotic
so........ Why did they shorten Mallala?

The surface on that part of the circuit was bad and deteriorating...

#131 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:46

Hi all

In reference to post 124 picture 6 is Neil Sullivan in his Daimler Special - Anyone know where that is now?

See you in April
Annie

#132 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:54

great news 100% BT31/1 is on her way back to Australia,I'm told her 1st meeting will be S.Aust at Easter.

Sounds good Lola 5000 - Am I right in thinking that's the car that Sir Jack campaigned out here in the 69 Tasman Series? As featured in the Graham Howard penned article that appeared in Australian Autosportsman, May 1969, p36?

It would be quite a sight to see the first few rows of the grid with machines powered in a similar fashion!!

#133 WGTonkin

WGTonkin

• 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 13:46

G'day :) I saw my Dad's name here a few times, Ron Tonkin :) Anyways, I found a few pics of His Elfin @ Mallala... Cheers, Wayne Tonkin :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#134 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 19:19

Is that a Hillman engine, Wayne?

A very unusual Elfin, steel wheels and power other than Ford, and very nicely presented. What year would this be?

#135 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 21:18

Oh dear.

As I suspected....the Ron Tonkin car is listed in Gary Cooper's exercise book as having a Ford Consul ( not " Cortina") engine , so that is what you are looking at, Ray -- and on SUs indeed. The steel wheels are visible in the Catford/ Blanden book photo inside the Conmurra ave workshop, and this is one of several Catalinas that ran thus. Then again, the other "Catalina"in that photo has a Ford Cortina engine now and a Vincent back then There are others with different engines now to back then.

This is chassis 629, about to reappear at Wakefield Park soon for the first time since its disastrous Morgan Park accident 2? years ago. Its recent rebuild makes it a thing of beauty, as it was before, in various hands in SA, WA, and NSW

I have owned several Elfin Catalinas( Chassis numbers 626 and 628), sister cars to 629, and we have a little Catalina fraternity that speaks its own language. These are Great Photos, showing " one of our cars" just the way it was. Are we able to see more, please?

#136 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 21:29

SUs with the strangest looking balance pipe I've ever seen...

Yes, I should have realised there were more engines out there than the Hillman that it could have been.

Nice to catch a glimpse, too, of Garrie's interchangeable (left to right) uprights, also undoubtedly also shared with the Mallala.

#137 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:03

Race tyres have evolved, those almost look lik truck tyres with the very quare shoulders. look nothing like thwe 'historic' tyres used these days. Pretty little car.

#138 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:15

Goodyear 'Blue Streaks'...

Quite unusual to see them on a racing car, they were mostly used on sedans.

#139 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:28

Goodyear 'Blue Streaks'...

Quite unusual to see them on a racing car, they were mostly used on sedans.

We used Blue Streaks on a speedway sedan in about 70 71 and they did not look like that. Though they were cast offs from a midget! From the sponsor, Doug Sunstrom, Sunstroms Sound Mart.

Advertisement

#140 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,826 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:36

Dig up some pics from '63 - '65 and you'll see them...

They cost Brian Muir the ATCC in 1963. Unlike the Dunsafes he was used to running, the Blue Streaks wore more quickly as the tread went down. He was forced to run them by some obscure ruling relating to tyres and rims... it can only happen in Queensland stuff... and the Tyre and Rim Association reckoned his regular Dunsafes weren't right on the rims he was running.

#141 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 22:46

Sounds good Lola 5000 - Am I right in thinking that's the car that Sir Jack campaigned out here in the 69 Tasman Series? As featured in the Graham Howard penned article that appeared in Australian Autosportsman, May 1969, p36?

It would be quite a sight to see the first few rows of the grid with machines powered in a similar fashion!!

thats the car.

#142 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 23:00

Dig up some pics from '63 - '65 and you'll see them...

They cost Brian Muir the ATCC in 1963. Unlike the Dunsafes he was used to running, the Blue Streaks wore more quickly as the tread went down. He was forced to run them by some obscure ruling relating to tyres and rims... it can only happen in Queensland stuff... and the Tyre and Rim Association reckoned his regular Dunsafes weren't right on the rims he was running.

That is a can of worms, so many people have raced on tyre rim combos supposedly not correct. The whole GpC days were like that, tyres that were supposed to be on a 12" rim on 10s and at a guess open wheelers were the same.
At one stage in the 90s with Club Cars for some reason the R spec type tyres were only S rated. 100mph tyres on cars that did 140mph plus. A scruiteneer picked it [rightly] on one car but on closer examination discovered the majority of the field were in the same boat, and after some swift talking from the tyre bloke they were allowed to race.
The Toyos I use now are W rated though the Bridgestones are only V rated [140mph] which the car would exceed on a fast circuit.

#143 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 23:13

Is that the ex Mike Tighe Elfin? That had chrome wheels.

#144 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 23:20

It is appropriate that these Elfin pics are at Mallala

629 looks like the work on it was done by several different people -- some nice( generally the " Elfin" bits) some otherwise, including what appear to be " just completed for the first time and raced" aspects ( the excessive understeer is one, that balance pipe one more...). Because of this, I would suggest the pics can be easily dated. I dont have access to all the info I need, but other considerations include
# 629 was the last car in the 1962 set ( does not necessarily mean much. My 626 was barely completed by start 1966. And Elfin registrar Brian Lear is confident 6214 did not exist)
# 629 existed as a complete car when 628 had its Vincent engine
# 61P and 623 hit one another Sandown November 1962 the screen of 61P slashing Andy Brown's face. According to 623 driver John McDonald, that is when and why Gary Cooper made up the internal cockpit panel visible in these 629 pics
# the grid positions probably tell us which Mallala meeting ( what car is that across and back from Ron Tonkin's car?)
# 629's drum brakes all round indicate either early car or Catalina model( not 375WR). Likewise those are early uprights, without the lug on the top of the casting to allow for top wishbone

While my guess is 1963/64, can anyone confirm the date? Perhaps Wayne?

I am sure current owner of 629, Doug Anderson, would appreciate more pics of this car. If Wayne Tonkin and family would like current pics, I am sure that can be arranged

#145 WGTonkin

WGTonkin

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 00:47

Is that a Hillman engine, Wayne?

A very unusual Elfin, steel wheels and power other than Ford, and very nicely presented. What year would this be?

Mallala October 8th 1962
Elfin Catalina, Consul Motor

Posted Image

John & Ron

#146 WGTonkin

WGTonkin

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:03

Oh dear.

As I suspected....the Ron Tonkin car is listed in Gary Cooper's exercise book as having a Ford Consul ( not " Cortina") engine , so that is what you are looking at, Ray -- and on SUs indeed. The steel wheels are visible in the Catford/ Blanden book photo inside the Conmurra ave workshop, and this is one of several Catalinas that ran thus. Then again, the other "Catalina"in that photo has a Ford Cortina engine now and a Vincent back then There are others with different engines now to back then.

This is chassis 629, about to reappear at Wakefield Park soon for the first time since its disastrous Morgan Park accident 2? years ago. Its recent rebuild makes it a thing of beauty, as it was before, in various hands in SA, WA, and NSW

I have owned several Elfin Catalinas( Chassis numbers 626 and 628), sister cars to 629, and we have a little Catalina fraternity that speaks its own language. These are Great Photos, showing " one of our cars" just the way it was. Are we able to see more, please?

Elfin Catalina, Consul Motor

Another Good View Of The Steel Wheels, Calder Victoria February 24th 1963

Posted Image

Posted Image

Line Up Of Elfins, Catalina 2nd From Front

#147 WGTonkin

WGTonkin

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:12

thats the car.

Line Up In A Similar Fashion

Posted Image

#148 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:32

Line Up In A Similar Fashion

Posted Image

Interesting photograph - looks like the 1961 AGP meeting because we can see Bill Patterson's Cooper and what looks like Davison's also - plus Alan Jack's Cooper minus its bobtail.

But what is going on?

Is it practice or some sort of handicap?

Karl

#149 WGTonkin

WGTonkin

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:34

It is appropriate that these Elfin pics are at Mallala

629 looks like the work on it was done by several different people -- some nice( generally the " Elfin" bits) some otherwise, including what appear to be " just completed for the first time and raced" aspects ( the excessive understeer is one, that balance pipe one more...). Because of this, I would suggest the pics can be easily dated. I dont have access to all the info I need, but other considerations include
# 629 was the last car in the 1962 set ( does not necessarily mean much. My 626 was barely completed by start 1966. And Elfin registrar Brian Lear is confident 6214 did not exist)
# 629 existed as a complete car when 628 had its Vincent engine
# 61P and 623 hit one another Sandown November 1962 the screen of 61P slashing Andy Brown's face. According to 623 driver John McDonald, that is when and why Gary Cooper made up the internal cockpit panel visible in these 629 pics
# the grid positions probably tell us which Mallala meeting ( what car is that across and back from Ron Tonkin's car?)
# 629's drum brakes all round indicate either early car or Catalina model( not 375WR). Likewise those are early uprights, without the lug on the top of the casting to allow for top wishbone

While my guess is 1963/64, can anyone confirm the date? Perhaps Wayne?

I am sure current owner of 629, Doug Anderson, would appreciate more pics of this car. If Wayne Tonkin and family would like current pics, I am sure that can be arranged

1962 / 1963

& I Would Love To See Some Current Pics :)

Posted Image

On The Starting Grid @ Mallala

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mallala April 15th 1963

#150 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:37

Great pics, Wayne. Thanks again

Some indication too of Garry Cooper's strong influence on SA and Australian motor racing at that time

Yes, Ken, the Ron Tonkin car 629 became Mike Tighe's in WA, eventually to Peter Johnson in Sydney then Doug Anderson at Yamba in northern NSW
I hope to be a pitpest around this car in 2 weeks