Photo

Mallala - South Australian circuit

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#301 ken devine

ken devine

• 815 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:35

Charlie Mitchell has restored the Elfin but i think it may still be waiting for the engine which was supposed to be fitted for the Tasman revival, the car was on display in the main marquee without the engine, i have posted a photo elsewhere showing Frank Matich and Charlie inspecting the car.

Advertisement

#302 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:35

These are lifts from the video....mainly to show my only shots of car 37.
He's not listed in the programme.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
John Medley

Posted Image
John Medley & Michael Shearer: the high wheeled Ford A was not enjoying the damp track.

The Vee is Don Grievson, a well known name from the past. I spoke too him briefly Sunday and he seemed quite enthusiastic.

#303 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:38

A tiny little snippet of the FJ
http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

I will have to tell Graham, though I think he lurks on here sometimes.

#304 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:44

Do we know anything more about this gorgeous device....Eastern States car? where can I see used in anger? :love:

Read the last 2 pages of the thread Mick, both the early Lola 5000s have had a fair mention.

#305 Everlieb10

Everlieb10

• 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 00:09

Do we know anything more about this gorgeous device....Eastern States car? where can I see used in anger? :love:

Not sure when John plans to run the car again, its for sale see the link below

http://www.my105.com...45/Default.aspx

#306 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 00:25

Read the last 2 pages of the thread Mick, both the early Lola 5000s have had a fair mention.

Did that...and (once again)...stuff did not jump out of the page! :confused:

#307 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 00:28

Many thanks, love you and your Brothers records man! :wave:

Hmmmm....maybe Lola5000 could scoop it up and run it in the East :p

#308 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:16

Great shots guys. Finally stopped for a breath after Easter. I enjoyed the racing from my vantage point, but have really enjoyed the photo graphs shared here. Just a little brag though. Dad had been trying to win the DG Fraser trophy forever, and we are proud to say Michael brought it home. Not too often I'm lost for words at the mike but this was one of those times.

Does anyone have pics of the amazing tribute to Glen Dix or have I missed a very deserved thread on the forum

Cheers
Annie

#309 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 22:42

Great shots guys. Finally stopped for a breath after Easter. I enjoyed the racing from my vantage point, but have really enjoyed the photo graphs shared here. Just a little brag though. Dad had been trying to win the DG Fraser trophy forever, and we are proud to say Michael brought it home. Not too often I'm lost for words at the mike but this was one of those times.

Does anyone have pics of the amazing tribute to Glen Dix or have I missed a very deserved thread on the forum

Cheers
Annie

Anne, I took some pics of Glen. BUT I did it with my phone [left my camera home Saturday] and I have to get someone to help me get them out of it!! I will try though I feel some others from this forum may have taken some too.

And congrats to Michael and the extended Shearer clan.

#310 timbo

timbo

• 414 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:40

I know John Bryant's Lola is old by F5000 standards, but having raced in the 1212-1213 Tasman Revival series? For Johns sake, I just hope its not a "one owner" car. :)

Fully rebuilt.Fresh engine,new LG600 gearbox.Restored to match its 1968 configuration as raced by Jerry Hansen.Only car to beat Dan Gurneys Eagles in 1968.Raced Tasman Revival Series 2011-2012 and 1212-1213.Spares package CAMS Logbook and COD

#311 Ericoz

Ericoz

• 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 14:43

I know John Bryant's Lola is old by F5000 standards, but having raced in the 1212-1213 Tasman Revival series? For Johns sake, I just hope its not a "one owner" car. :)

Fully rebuilt.Fresh engine,new LG600 gearbox.Restored to match its 1968 configuration as raced by Jerry Hansen.Only car to beat Dan Gurneys Eagles in 1968.Raced Tasman Revival Series 2011-2012 and 1212-1213.Spares package CAMS Logbook and COD

I sincerely hope that it's not a "One Owner"! Okay, John crashed it at Phillip Island but he gifted the car to us when he had it re-built and we owe him a lot! This is a very special car and to be able to say that you have driven it in anger, that's something special! Thank you John, it's really nice to see this Lola back on the track. I hope that one day we may see the ex- Trengove Lola T332 re-built again. I must admit that I saw the end of F5000 coming before many but I still admired anyone that could control these beasts! Ken Smith must be the master.

#312 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,059 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:40

More photos from the Easter Sunday 2013 Historics

Posted Image
Dick O'Keefe's Photon Special

Posted Image
At the west end of the pits

Posted Image
Lago Talbot

Posted Image
Stuart Krug's Austin seven & ?

Posted Image
Will Walker Lotus 7

#313 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,059 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:50

Posted Image
Nigel Tait's Matich SR4....going much slower than the last time I saw it at Warwick Farm in 1971.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Going to rain?
Posted Image
Elfin ME5....again utterly different to the Farm 1971

Posted Image
Pete FFrench's Elfin Clubman

Posted Image
Fred Sayers Leyland Clubman GT

#314 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 2,394 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 20:37

Garrie and Norm Butler with the Mk 2 Prototype Mono - gotta be at Mallala?

P1100701gcnb.jpg

#315 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 22:10

Clues would be from the gravel and the other background...

What's the bloke at the right up to and what are the wires or ropes attached to him?

#316 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 23:23

P1100701gcnb.jpg

It looks like the Mono has eaten someone! looks like a jacket hanging out of the front!

I feel there is probably a tent close that the chap is standing under the guy rope.

#317 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,254 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:14

The grass is the right colour for Mallala.

#318 2Bob

2Bob

• 452 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:37

See you all here for the Anzac weekend race meeting.

#319 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 2,297 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 21:04

P1100701gcnb.jpg

If there was a 'Caption' required, how about :- "Garrie, I think the electric fan was a bad idea".

Advertisement

#320 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 22:39

Or:

"Now she'll want me to buy her a new one for sure!"

The Namco is showing up well there...

#321 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 2,394 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:23

Close shave for the facility today....

image.jpg

#322 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:56

I trust Clem suffered no losses...

Though apparently this fire has claimed two lives.

Edited by Ray Bell, 25 November 2015 - 12:42.

#323 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 21:02

I trust Clem suffered no losses...

Though apparently this fire has claimed two lives.

Closer than I thought, the town is only a kilometre to the right of those flames. Aerodrome road is between the track and those flames and all the grass at the track has been slashed down too. Though the surrounding paddocks are all grain crops, a metre or so high. Which were looking quite good last weekend.

So some farmers have lost a years work. And some stock losses also. 211k fire perimiter

And yes two fatalaties a 69 y/o man from Pinery to the north where the fire started and a 56 y/o Hamley Bridge woman about 30 k east. Possibly a third also.

The big shed to the top right of the track is where Clem has his collection of classic cars, Hudsons, Jags, MGC, Chargers, Valiants in general [he was a Chrysler dealer] and quite a few others. I have yet to actually go in there. Though I have seen most of the cars in the workshop at his car yard on South Rd over the last 4 decades!

The black bit in front of it is a motorkhana area. The black bit inside turn 1 is a burnout pad and the area in the foreground in front of the northern hairpin  is /was used for dirt sprints too. I have competed there and for 35 years on and off on the track proper.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 26 November 2015 - 08:54.

#324 2Bob

2Bob

• 452 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 22:42

From Mallala facebook page about 14 hours ago:

Just to let everyone know Mallala Motorsport Park was very lucky today. The fire went across the back of the property and took out some outbuildings, toilets etc which we don't use. The track has been spared and Clem's prized car collection. Hopefully there will be no lives lost as it continues to burn out of control towards the Barossa Valley.

#325 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 22:43

I imagine the Terraplane would be there too...

Those crops look like they were just about to be harvested, very frustrating for the farmers who get a pretty rough trot even without fires.

#326 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:41

I imagine the Terraplane would be there too...

Those crops look like they were just about to be harvested, very frustrating for the farmers who get a pretty rough trot even without fires.

Several Hudsons these days..

And yes harvest would have been in the next few weeks so those poor buggers have lost a years income in some cases. And I very much doubt that it would be insureable either unlike homes and sheds.

If Bob is right about Mallala losing toilets etc it must have been very close the the main amenities unless it was the ones at the back of the circuit. Which I cannot even remember. I doubt I have been over there this century! I have always been a competitor in one respect or another.

The toilet/ shower blocks in the  main spectator area date back to the war. Some have been extensively rebuilt though a LOT of the infrastructure in that place is still the original military stuff.

#327 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 898 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:11

Mallala, well  saved !

#328 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:23

Watching tonights ABC news, a public meeting in Mallala and a chap in a Mallala Motorsport  hat. Barry Frost chief timekeeper for CAMS and the  SA A7 club too.

The report on the fire was quite distressing though,,  2 lives lost, 87 homes lost, a hundred or so cars, dozens of sheds and haysheds, dozens of trucks and tractors. Plus many millions in crops and huge stock losses, sheep, pigs, chooks primarily.

#329 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 22:12

Looking at Adelaide Now this morning, the track was very lucky. The Northern side of the facility is all burnt,inc the spectator mounds from the Southern hairpin all the way around the kink, the dirt sprint area, right around the sweeper to the last hairpin and a section near the road to the old main entrance gate near where the ticket box now is. It got within 100m of Clems house near clubhouse corner.

Lucky some of those tyre walls did not catch alight, though the grass  would  only have been stubble as the grass is all slashed down short on the entire property.

Looking at James above pic the foreground is all burnt from right to left and all the way around to the last hairpin.  and behind the road frontage to a line with the start finish straight. The track runs clockwise

#330 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 2,394 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 23:01

I wonder how many major blazes have gone through that area in the past fifty years?

#331 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:46

I wonder how many major blazes have gone through that area in the past fifty years?

Reputedly this is by far the biggest. 

#332 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:02

I've never heard of one before...

#333 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 21:44

I've never heard of one before...

You only hear about the big ones.  Literally hundreds of small fires all over the country. There was one being put out early in the year on my way out to mallala. probably burnt an acre and probably started from the road. Between the Wasleys crossing and the town.

Decades ago in my EFS [now CFS] days we watched the fires being lit as we were mopping up the first on top of a hill for about 5 miles. Seven and a gusty night too. Had units from about 3 brigades putting them out and others on standby.

#334 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 23:49

But James only asked about 'major blazes'...

Like you say, I would only have heard about big ones. And they would certainly have done some damage if they'd got into Mallala, think about those timber-covered drains, for instance.

#335 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:39

But James only asked about 'major blazes'...

Like you say, I would only have heard about big ones. And they would certainly have done some damage if they'd got into Mallala, think about those timber-covered drains, for instance.

Timber is long gone. all rotted. That is why the drain is open and enlarged near the southern hairpin.

Honestly it was that old I doubt it would have burnt anyway. Petrified!! it was 50 years old when removed. Late 90s or so.

There has been little grass fires there  few times from hot exhausts but to my knowledge never anything substansial at the track itself.

#336 E1pix

E1pix

• 11,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:18

Sorry to see your country dealing with fires again.

Geez, you're not even into summer yet... have you had a dry winter, has it been like this historically, or just in the past decade or two?

#337 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 2,297 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:36

Eric, have a read of this poem...it says a lot about this place 'Down Under' :-

http://www.dorotheam...e/mycountry.htm

#338 E1pix

E1pix

• 11,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:47

Very nice -- Thanks, Greg.

Is that a brilliantly-cadenced way of saying the fires are normal? ;-)

#339 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 274 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:37

"Drought is the normal condition of the inland, alternated with brief periods of heavy rains" (WJ Lines and, in similar phraseology, many others).

A hundred and fifty years ago, Mr Surveyor-General Goyder drew a line on a map; he thought that, south of that line, rainfall was adequate for farming, north of that line, it was not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goyder's_Line

This is Goyder's Line; I have marked the approximate position of Mallala;

Goyders_Line.png

Goyder was ignored and land north of Goyder's Line was settled; that settlement proved disastrous.

Many Australian TNFers will have made the journey from the north to Mallala (or vice versa); I have, from Mallala to NSW via Broken Hill.

It's an instructive journey; the country north of Mallala looks reasonable but deteriorates quickly as you travel further north; the transition from "reasonable" to "dry" happens very quickly and Goyder's Line can almost be visualised at the transition.

Abandoned homesteads and almost-ghost towns are evident if you look.

Next time you travel to or from Mallala on that route, keep an eye out for Goyder's Line.

Advertisement

#340 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:58

Port Wakefield is up there, of course... It always looks as desolate as the northern part of New Mexico and Arizona or maybe bits of Utah. Utah might be appropriate as they're both getting closer to the salt flats (Bonneville and Lake Eyre).

#341 E1pix

E1pix

• 11,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:03

Thanks, Gents.

Wow, that farming strip looks narrow indeed. Glad the track got lucky on that fire!

#342 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,254 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:36

If it doesn't rain during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.
If it does rain during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.
It doesn't matter what happens during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.

The main reason we are seeing more fires is the arrival of the 24 hour news networks. They need to report something and a fire creates great footage.
Earlier in the year a fire that burned out an area of about 6 football fields kept the media happy for 3 days and just about killed the tourist industry in the Blue Mountains for a year.

#343 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 702 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:04

Can just remember in New Zealand during the late 1950's my mother complaining of the ash from OZ bush fires falling over her washing out on the clothes line! :eek:

#344 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,254 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:08

Can just remember in New Zealand during the late 1950's my mother complaining of the ash from OZ bush fires falling over her washing out on the clothes line! :eek:

That was probably the 1957 fires in the blue Mountains, you can still see the scars of that fire.

#345 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:18

"Drought is the normal condition of the inland, alternated with brief periods of heavy rains" (WJ Lines and, in similar phraseology, many others).

A hundred and fifty years ago, Mr Surveyor-General Goyder drew a line on a map; he thought that, south of that line, rainfall was adequate for farming, north of that line, it was not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goyder's_Line

This is Goyder's Line; I have marked the approximate position of Mallala;

Goyders_Line.png

Goyder was ignored and land north of Goyder's Line was settled; that settlement proved disastrous.

Many Australian TNFers will have made the journey from the north to Mallala (or vice versa); I have, from Mallala to NSW via Broken Hill.

It's an instructive journey; the country north of Mallala looks reasonable but deteriorates quickly as you travel further north; the transition from "reasonable" to "dry" happens very quickly and Goyder's Line can almost be visualised at the transition.

Abandoned homesteads and almost-ghost towns are evident if you look.

Next time you travel to or from Mallala on that route, keep an eye out for Goyder's Line.

Goyders line while a defenite indication is somewhat innacurate too. There is a lot of grain farming above it , all the way to the southern Flinders. and the Murray river provides a huge amount of vineyards, citrus etc etc along its entire length. The Riverland here in SA is all above Goyders line.

The grain above the line is more marginal, the river too has been over used, though a lot of that is water for the cities. Different states have different rules for water use, the governing body often is useless.

During the recent drought here in SA a lot of blockies went to the wall, the state in part became a desert with water restrictions. However Victoria and NSW were still worst practice with water use. fruit blocks with overhead sprinklers, towns watering gardens, etc with abandon.

And worse Victoria built a pipeline to Melbourne further stressing the river.

And ofcourse they were still growing rice in NSW and Qld!

Abandoned homesteads are rife all over the country, small farmers get pushed out and richer farmers take on more land but many homes all over the country get abandoned. I call them renovators delights!  The land above Quorn though is very marginal, it is cropped in good seasons and left fallow in the frequent bad seasons. There is still sheep grazing though not near as much, the land in parts is decidedly sheep sick. Though recovering.

100 years ago in good seasons Wilpena Pound was producing very high yields with grain but getting it out was a real challenge! The roads kept wshing out, still happens even now. that though was with good seasons. Later the government effectively forced leaseholders to over graze the area. 45 years ago when I went there on a school trip it was grazed totally bare. Now it is very well covered in lush trees and grasses. 

I ramble  a bit here but I have spent some time well above Goyders line, and above the dog fence too.

#346 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 702 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:27

1957 was the year that Teretonga Park opened in Invercargill not unlike Mallala except a lot cooler! :cool:

#347 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 56,345 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 22:44

Originally posted by Catalina Park
If it doesn't rain during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.
If it does rain during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.
It doesn't matter what happens during winter the fire services will predict a bad fire season.

The main reason we are seeing more fires is the arrival of the 24 hour news networks. They need to report something and a fire creates great footage.
Earlier in the year a fire that burned out an area of about 6 football fields kept the media happy for 3 days and just about killed the tourist industry in the Blue Mountains for a year.

How true, though I don't know about the football fields...

The Blue Mountains has fires all the time. But it's a big area, there were the Leura fires, the Springwood fires, the Blackheath fires, the Mt Tomah fires, sometimes some of them join up and they're really huge. But the impression those reading the news would get is that the whole place burns out every two or three years, it becomes something more guided by emotion than fact.

The Sydney Water Board has control over a lot of Blue Mountains areas, they are (were?) somewhat autonomous and they had things under control, every August they'd burn off scrub and undergrowth to prevent summer catastrophes.

Most councils, working with volunteer fire brigades etc, did the same until greenies put a stop to it. Fire trails are now overgrown so firefighters have trouble getting to the fires early and the impact of this is seen in the devastation of some of those fires. But it's not all that way and they have been happening for years, when the 1983 'black Friday' fires were on, the media reflected on the similar fires (in Victoria and South Australia) in 1939.

While I drew that comparison earlier to New Mexico etc, the biggest difference between Australia and the USA is that America has heaps of water. Huge rivers flowing, even through those desolate areas like the Colorado and the Rio Grande, those rivers would be way bigger than even our biggest river in the southern part of the country. In fact, there isn't a significant river between the mouth of the Murray and nearly Albany in Western Australia, over half the width of the country!

Edited by Ray Bell, 30 November 2015 - 22:46.

#348 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 7,497 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:05

How true, though I don't know about the football fields...

The Blue Mountains has fires all the time. But it's a big area, there were the Leura fires, the Springwood fires, the Blackheath fires, the Mt Tomah fires, sometimes some of them join up and they're really huge. But the impression those reading the news would get is that the whole place burns out every two or three years, it becomes something more guided by emotion than fact.

The Sydney Water Board has control over a lot of Blue Mountains areas, they are (were?) somewhat autonomous and they had things under control, every August they'd burn off scrub and undergrowth to prevent summer catastrophes.

Most councils, working with volunteer fire brigades etc, did the same until greenies put a stop to it. Fire trails are now overgrown so firefighters have trouble getting to the fires early and the impact of this is seen in the devastation of some of those fires. But it's not all that way and they have been happening for years, when the 1983 'black Friday' fires were on, the media reflected on the similar fires (in Victoria and South Australia) in 1939.

While I drew that comparison earlier to New Mexico etc, the biggest difference between Australia and the USA is that America has heaps of water. Huge rivers flowing, even through those desolate areas like the Colorado and the Rio Grande, those rivers would be way bigger than even our biggest river in the southern part of the country. In fact, there isn't a significant river between the mouth of the Murray and nearly Albany in Western Australia, over half the width of the country!

Agreed. Th e Greenies and do gooders have one hell of a lot to answer for. Until the last few decades the undergrowth every where in Oz was burnt off and the undergrowth kept right down. The Aboriginals used fire for 'farming' for centuries.

Now it is so dreadfully overgrown that the fires cannot be controlled. 

The Greenies waffle about old growth forests in well settled areas, of which 99% was farmed until the last 40 years. Either to establish parks etc or was just uneconomical. In Oz there is very little areas that have not been farmed in some way, even the high country in NSW and Vic. The land has been either overgrazed or just over used. 

Bushfires  in well watered mountainous areas though have very little to do with fires on wide open plains like The Mallala fire. Though that was and is again in places low scrub before it was cleared.