• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NeilSimpson

NeilSimpson

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 19:42

Hi,
What a fantastic site !!!
I came across this website recently and have found it riviting and amazing.
I've just completed reading all entries ... what stories, photos. It truly is nostalgia.
I'm interested in this period, particularly late 50s and 60s. My father Don Simpson raced sidecars, and passengered both Jim Bollington
and Bill Beevers.
He's not into IT at all, but I've been telling him about some of the stories on here which he is really is interested in. Mainly the sidecars, but I told him about the thread run a few months ago about Degner, and he was telling about 1960 at the Czech GP when he met Walter Kadaan. I printed a few pictures off recently, and when I next saw him, he had added loads of notes to them, whcih is what he tends to do.
I was wondering if anyone on here knew of my father, and if they had any yarns or photos to post. There were a few pictures posted on here of the 1960 Sidecar TT at Signpost recently. Were any taken of no. 28. My father passengered Jim Bollington on a Triumph and finished 12th ... after falling off at Bradden Bridge on the first lap.
Sheffield and around locally was quite hot bed for talent in the 1950s/60s, and my father knew the lot including Charlie Freeman (who always called him 'youth'), Barry Dungworth.
and Ernie Walker. Ernie was a good racer (and engineer) in his time, and my dad told me an occasaion where one racer (may have been Pip Harris?), who had a works Norton and wanted some assistance / help from Ernie. The story goes, PH got what he wanted and Ernie took drawings or copies of the cams. He was a clever old s*d.
I'm taking him to his annual 'day out' to Mallory on 31 Oct for the Sdiecar Festival. Although he's not really bothered about the modern stuff, he still enjoys the old 'uns. Is anyone on here off to Mallory ?

Advertisement

#2 NeilSimpson

NeilSimpson

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 19:53

IGNORE THIS POST - ADDED INCORRECTLY AS A NEW TOPIC - I HAVE RE-ADDED UNDER 1949 - 1968 TOPIC.

Edited by NeilSimpson, 08 October 2010 - 19:54.

#3 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 14:01

Hi,
What a fantastic site !!!
I came across this website recently and have found it riviting and amazing.
I've just completed reading all entries ... what stories, photos. It truly is nostalgia.
I'm interested in this period, particularly late 50s and 60s. My father Don Simpson raced sidecars, and passengered both Jim Bollington
and Bill Beevers.
He's not into IT at all, but I've been telling him about some of the stories on here which he is really is interested in. Mainly the sidecars, but I told him about the thread run a few months ago about Degner, and he was telling about 1960 at the Czech GP when he met Walter Kadaan. I printed a few pictures off recently, and when I next saw him, he had added loads of notes to them, whcih is what he tends to do.
I was wondering if anyone on here knew of my father, and if they had any yarns or photos to post. There were a few pictures posted on here of the 1960 Sidecar TT at Signpost recently. Were any taken of no. 28. My father passengered Jim Bollington on a Triumph and finished 12th ... after falling off at Bradden Bridge on the first lap.
Sheffield and around locally was quite hot bed for talent in the 1950s/60s, and my father knew the lot including Charlie Freeman (who always called him 'youth'), Barry Dungworth.
and Ernie Walker. Ernie was a good racer (and engineer) in his time, and my dad told me an occasaion where one racer (may have been Pip Harris?), who had a works Norton and wanted some assistance / help from Ernie. The story goes, PH got what he wanted and Ernie took drawings or copies of the cams. He was a clever old s*d.
I'm taking him to his annual 'day out' to Mallory on 31 Oct for the Sdiecar Festival. Although he's not really bothered about the modern stuff, he still enjoys the old 'uns. Is anyone on here off to Mallory ?

Hi Neil,
It is great to have you on here. I know your dad very well. You might remeber my dad (Shaun Waters) who raced the 4 Valve Velocette. I remeber meeting you once at Cadwell when Don and Eric Stanbra raced the BMW sidecar. You dad is the most lovely chap and me and dad think he is a real treasure. It goes without saying that we also have a few of your dad's paintings (I got one for my birthday earlier this year). Don has so many fantastic stories from the continental circus days and we always like cathcing up with him.

Regards,

Ben W

#4 Defender90

Defender90

• 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:06

Hi Neil,
It is great to have you on here. I know your dad very well. You might remeber my dad (Shaun Waters) who raced the 4 Valve Velocette. I remeber meeting you once at Cadwell when Don and Eric Stanbra raced the BMW sidecar. You dad is the most lovely chap and me and dad think he is a real treasure. It goes without saying that we also have a few of your dad's paintings (I got one for my birthday earlier this year). Don has so many fantastic stories from the continental circus days and we always like cathcing up with him.

Regards,

Ben W

My Uncle was big mates with Eric Stanbra all through his life. I met him quite a few times when I was young, the last time being about 10 years ago. He and my Uncle were firmly part of the Velocette mafia and my Uncle still owns an ex-racing velocette.

#5 billbomann

billbomann

• 87 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:31

Hi Neil

I have a couple of shots of you Dad with Jim in 1960, this is one lap where he held on round Braddan!
Would he have known Frank Fox in his early days? Frank was a riding mate with Jim who also rode solo at the TT.

Posted Image

#6 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:37

My Uncle was big mates with Eric Stanbra all through his life. I met him quite a few times when I was young, the last time being about 10 years ago. He and my Uncle were firmly part of the Velocette mafia and my Uncle still owns an ex-racing velocette.

Who is your Uncle and did he race? I knew Eric very well. Here is picture of Eric's 'baby':
Posted Image
By joepotts7 at 2009-06-18

Ben

#7 Defender90

Defender90

• 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:19

Who is your Uncle and did he race? I knew Eric very well. Here is picture of Eric's 'baby':
Posted Image
By joepotts7 at 2009-06-18

Ben

My uncle is Bob Fenn. I used to see Eric a lot when I was a lad but the last time was about 15 years ago. Unfortunately Eric died abot 4 years ago but I know my Uncle has one of his bikes. I try and get some piccies.

#8 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 14:22

My uncle is Bob Fenn. I used to see Eric a lot when I was a lad but the last time was about 15 years ago. Unfortunately Eric died abot 4 years ago but I know my Uncle has one of his bikes. I try and get some piccies.

I know your uncle very well. His Velo belonged to us, then Eric before going to Bob.