3 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:08

MONEY FOR NOTHING: FoSC threatens to take millions elsewhere
MIRIAM SIERS
25 Aug, 2010 05:00 AM
RED tape is threatening to rob Bathurst of millions of dollars each year, say organisers of the annual Shannons Celebration of Motor Sport run by the Festival of Sporting Cars. FoSC’s Charles Jardine yesterday said organisers were sick and tired of brick walls popping up during negotiations with Bathurst Regional Council regarding the use of Mount Panorama.
He said ever since Mercedes pulled out due to the Global Financial Crisis in 2009, FoSC had struggled to make the race financially viable. And most of the obstacles they have to overcome are regulations and conditions council put on using the track.
“When we first came to Bathurst in 2008 the council couldn’t have been more enthusiastic or co-operative,” Mr Jardine said.
“But in the years since then, our task has been made progressively more difficult to the point where, right at this moment, council has made it impossible for us to commit to 2011.”
Mr Jardine said unless organisers could get some straight answers from council about what sorts of activities could be held on the Mount, they will have to go elsewhere for next year’s event.
“Our problem has been in getting straight answers about our contractual obligations,” Mr Jardine said.
“To put it bluntly, we are going to have to find another venue for Easter 2011 unless council can give us the answers we’ve been waiting for.
“This event requires a great degree of forward planning and our deadline has passed.”
Mr Jardine said he feared litigation between another contractor and council was adversely affecting council’s decision-making for 2011.
In 2009 the Western Research Institute prepared the Economic Impact of Mount Panorama report, which estimated Shannons Celebration of Motor Sport generated total expenditure in Bathurst of about $3.9 million, contributing about $1.7 million in value-added and creating 20 full time equivalent jobs in the city.
But Mr Jardine said after surveying participants’ spending in the city over Easter, local businesses benefited to the tune of at least $5.5 million.
“In 2010, 840 drivers entered the Easter event and a further 300 volunteers attended to act as officials,” Mr Jardine said.
Bathurst Regional Council had no comment to make yesterday in response to FoSC’s threats to pull the event from Bathurst.
“Dealings between Bathurst Regional Council and FoSC are commercially in confidence on the matter,” a spokesman from council said.

Advertisement

#2 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:34

What a shame the Easter FOSC Bathurst meetings seem desined to have such a short life, just 3 years. FOSC were faced with enormous difficulties in running the event, funding the enormous track hire fee, finding enough flaggies to man the mulitude of flag points around the 6.2 km circuit being just two challenges and then, on race days recovering the multitude of over enthusiastic competitors who thought their cars would be stronger than Bathurst's concrete barriers.

I am extremely grateful that I was one of the many competitors who partook in the experience in 2008 and 2009, it is really the greatest circuit I have ever driven on with such a multitude of challenges but so rewarding in having conquered it by returning to the pits with the car unscathed. However I will never know why more of our competitors with "proper" historic sports cars did not avail themselves of the opportunity, now it is too late.

One who did run there last year was fellow TNFer, John Medley, who having written an outstanding book on the history of the circuit, had never raced on it. But, by courtesy of David Reid John was able to share David's C Type replica and fulfil a long held amition.

#3 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,645 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:11

Email dated 8 October:

we are not going to be conducting a FoSC Mount Panorama Easter event next year.

Looks like it will be EC instead.

I ran the first two, but not this year. It all came back as I was watching the Hardly Ferocious today, and I will be forever grateful to Charles and the FOSC team who made it happen.

I am not surprised, the financial risks must be enormous, and it seems the Council's hurdles have been the last straw. Lets hope 2012 sees a return of club motorsport to the Mountain.

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:49

Email dated 8 October:

Looks like it will be EC instead.

I ran the first two, but not this year. It all came back as I was watching the Hardly Ferocious today, and I will be forever grateful to Charles and the FOSC team who made it happen.

I am not surprised, the financial risks must be enormous, and it seems the Council's hurdles have been the last straw. Lets hope 2012 sees a return of club motorsport to the Mountain.

BIMF is GO...

http://bathurstmotorfestival.com.au/