* * * * - 4 votes

Russian Grand Prix in Sochi from 2014

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#501 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 573 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:32

Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria 100% depend on Russia...

No. Gas is a VERY small percentage of our energy usage. Out of 1.500.000 households only 35.000 uses gas. Thats about 2% and it's usually only for cooking, not heating. We can live without Russian gas.

Back OnT. Does anyone know of reliable news sources where we can follow the latest events regarding sanctions on Russia that could have an effect on the race in Sochi? AFAIK its green light right now, but i guess that can change. 

Edited by FredrikB, 10 September 2014 - 08:35.

Advertisement

#502 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:09

No. Gas is a VERY small percentage of our energy usage. Out of 1.500.000 households only 35.000 uses gas. Thats about 2% and it's usually only for cooking, not heating. We can live without Russian gas.

Back OnT. Does anyone know of reliable news sources where we can follow the latest events regarding sanctions on Russia that could have an effect on the race in Sochi? AFAIK its green light right now, but i guess that can change. 

Now i think there is zero chance a race could be cancelled as there is not much time left. More than that the latest sanctions doesn't touch race itself and looking at how 'quickly' they approve that i have doubt they will come up with next package in space of one month. Considering more and more small countries are finding it counter productive.

#503 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:11

Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria 100% depend on Russia, Poland, Slovenia, Czech, Slovakia, Austria and Greece depend for more than 50% on Russia. Not only a few Baltic states. And Ukraine of course. Not to mention the huge effect on pressure in the pipelines and systems. While there is some storage of gas, supplies will run out fast if they have to fill Russia's gap -and much industry would have to be shut down in Western Europe as well). There is no way that Norway, England, Holland etc can fill the supply gap. The winter is coming, night temperatures are already dropping, if by the end of September gas would be cut off, more than a hundred million of people will be without gas, rual areas without heat (assuming city supplies hot water based heating they will be less affected), without cooking and possibly without electricity. It will create social unrest. Cutting off the gas would bring Europe to its knees in a few weeks with irrepairable damage to the trust in the political European System and huge damage to industry, tax income etc.

Russia will never cut off gas by its own will but it could come as a consequence by transit restriction by Ukraine with what Russia could do nothing about.

#504 Kristian

Kristian

• 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 13:44

Here's a DC/Vettel feature driving round the track...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/29094820

(I'm guessing its only available to UK viewers)

Edited by Kristian, 11 September 2014 - 13:44.

#505 Kristian

Kristian

• 597 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:22

The first race has been held...

#506 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:13

Russia: Is Sochi Autodrom ready for F1 Grand Prix? See for yourself

So they can run Touring Car and Legends races on it, they run those at Croft, not sure that will be appearing on the F1 calendar any time soon...

#507 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,184 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 15:21

Looks ready to me.. Matter of fact, turn 5-6-7-8-9 looks quite fast and exciting

#508 Anja

Anja

• 510 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 15:36

Wow, so it's actually possible to have some racing take part on a new track before F1 hits it?

#509 BRG

BRG

• 11,581 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 15:36

The first race has been held...

Good, at least they have got that part right.

#510 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 602 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:47

Well that doesn't look tediously drab at all.

(Did I just hear DC doing a puff piece about the glory of Russia as the intro to thisd BBC clip? Now tell me politics and F1 aren't insidiously intertwined)

#511 dweller23

dweller23

• 627 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:03

There's a rumour going around that Russia will sanction importing cars to Russia from Europe and US. In such situation, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will have nothing to gain market-wise in Russia.

#512 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,912 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:06

There's a rumour going around that Russia will sanction importing cars to Russia from Europe and US. In such situation, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will have nothing to gain market-wise in Russia.

Putin's grandma is probably the only person in the world who believes that all the oligarchs will switch to fancy Lada's then.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Jovanotti, 16 September 2014 - 10:10.

#513 loki0420

loki0420

• 417 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:22

Mercedes and Renault have their own factories in Russia that won't be sanctioned anyway.