* * * * - 4 votes

Russian Grand Prix in Sochi from 2014

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#401 bogi

bogi

• 3,029 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:15

It looks like Valencia track minus Red Bull pool full of girls in bikinis.

At least it doesn't look 50 meters wide.

Advertisement

#402 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 388 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:21

I liked that corner where there was a patch of astroturf and a tarmac runoff with a concrete barrier next to the white-red kerb.

#403 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 918 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:31

looks dangerous, no run-off inmany places, indy car style fence crash would be horrible in F1

edit: they survived Valencia, Singapore and Koreao so they will do in RUS, but still a ´concrete steel cage they are racing in on a 

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 25 August 2014 - 21:36.

#404 Goron3

Goron3

• 602 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:35

I liked that corner where there was a patch of astroturf and a tarmac runoff with a concrete barrier next to the white-red kerb.

I thought you were describing Spa then until you mentioned the white-red kerb...

:(

#405 superden

superden

• 212 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:58

I skipped through that in 20 second intervals, and it looked like I was replaying the same corner.

An infant smearing it's dinner on the table could design something more interesting.

#406 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 435 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:01

I zoned out after a minute and a half.

Then again, despite it being a driver favourite, I was never a fan of the Istanbul Otodrom, maybe I just don't "get" circuits.

#407 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:28

It looks like shit, completely soulless, a carbon copy of Valencia with Olympic buildings around.

Might as well host it in a parking lot (yes yes I know, been done before, Caesars Palace)

#408 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,025 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:48

haha Seb seem to be enjoying :D

Usually they make this kind of video heavily edited by adding throbbing music and busy camera switching work and all those flashy effects, but this one is so stripped-down :lol:

#409 917k

• 2,573 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:53

Typically ridiculous bitch-fest.

I see a track with many sweeping bends, long straights, lots of passing areas and few 90 degree bends. The hyperbolic bitching is completely overdone IMO. The barriers are close so the sensation of speed is high as will be the punishment for errors.

The start ''straight'' looks interesting as well, as it looks long enough for someone to get a run - something rare on todays tracks.

Edited by 917k, 25 August 2014 - 22:53.

#410 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,927 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:59

Actually pretty wide for a concrete canyon. I predict a lot of controversy over corner-cutting.

#411 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,309 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 23:05

If Lewis beats Nico, it'll be everyone's new favourite track.

#412 Exb

Exb

• 1,224 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 00:00

I'm not going to judge it too harshly on 1 video of a road car going round - it looks like it will be quick with plenty of chance for an error leading to hitting the wall (I see safety cars a plenty). Add in the FOM cameras to give more of a view of the Olympic park (as opposed to a car-cam which just gives a view between concrete walls) and it may not look quite so soulless?(eg Singapore which always looks fantastic imo) As long as it produces good racing I will be happy and until there is a race there its difficult to know.  

#413 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 581 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:29

It looks like shit, completely soulless, a carbon copy of Valencia with Olympic buildings around.

Might as well host it in a parking lot (yes yes I know, been done before, Caesars Palace)

And Dallas.

Hard to believe the race is still going ahead.

F1 really has it's priorities ****ed up sometimes.

#414 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:43

Doesn't look that bad tbh

OMG ITS RUSSIA BETTER BAG IT OUT.

#415 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,262 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:17

In my opinion the track looks very dangerous

#416 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 684 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:15

All that concrete. I'm getting some Soviet vibes. 

#417 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:14

Also I can assume if you think all the corners look the same that you're new to motor racing and haven't picked up the skill of corner identification than comes with years of watching.

#418 Sash1

Sash1

• 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:37

I guess turn 11 will be the most interesting point to pass. On the map it looks interesting.

#419 Kristian

Kristian

• 523 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:00

Also I can assume if you think all the corners look the same that you're new to motor racing and haven't picked up the skill of corner identification than comes with years of watching.

Wow.., sorry i had to comment, that's one of the most arrogant-sounding posts I've read on here for a while!

Anyway, as for the circuit I do like the layout (apart from the fiddly final sector, again the prerequisite Mickey Mouse section that's purely designed to keep the average track speed within FIA-defined limits I guess), but currently it does look very dull and uninspiring on TV. However, I'm sure it will look a lot better once walls are coloured and advertising goes up, so fear not. Some trees would be nice!

For a modern circuit I think it could be OK, and I anticipate some good racing in these 2014 cars. 

Advertisement

#420 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:18

Wow.., sorry i had to comment, that's one of the most arrogant-sounding posts I've read on here for a while!

My smileys don't work in the office, but frankly I was being semi-serious. None of the corners are geometrically identical.

#421 Sash1

Sash1

• 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:40

Just had a look at the prices for this event: travel, hotel, transfers, tickets.... From my location America, Brazil, Abu Dabi, Italy, Singapore are cheaper to visit... And knowing Russian hotels and organisation skills as well as the absolute shiteness of the location for all other stuff you could do, no thanks. No Sochi for me. I am pretty sure a Russian would also rather fly to Italy or Abu Dhabi instead.

#422 Antonov

Antonov

• 567 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:58

I adore Russia and its rich history. Two observations from my point of view:

a) Sochi - although the history of this place stretches quite a long way back, the real development only started because Russia lost Crimea when the USSR broke up. Crimea used to be the real "bath place" in Russia, but after the USSR ceased to exist and Crimea was lost to the Ukraine, they had to find an alternative. Sochi has always been a bathing place as well, but the real development only started due to the loss of Crimea, which is quite ironic when you think of it.

b) I realise the thinking-process behind hosting F1 in Sochi: so as not to completely let go to waste the facilities created there for the Winter Games. The G8 was also hosted here (or was supposed to be) and Sochi will also host some world cup football games. Behind this all is the idea "if we show enough footage to our population of all these things going on here, they will surely want to travel here as well; and essentially, pay money". The funny thing now is that Russia is desperate to promote Crimea (Sevastopol in particular) as thé holiday destination. Sochi is still relevant, but Russia wants their residents to come home and visit their lost son, Crimea.

Anyway, I haven't yet reached point b. Why Sochi when Moscow city with its wide boulevards and epic scenery lends itself to a perfect location for a race?

#423 Sash1

Sash1

• 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:30

Why Sochi when Moscow city with its wide boulevards and epic scenery lends itself to a perfect location for a race?

Apart from the scenery, Moscow is a lot more interesting to make full use of your time away from the track as well. (And every villager -and his dog- all around the country has a family member in Moscow so easier to find a free place to sleep)

Why would a foreigner want to go to Sochi. And who, living in a distant region in Russia, wants to go to Sochi mid october when there is a chance of freezing in the night and a low average temperature making it totally uninteresting to enjoy any bathing. 

#424 Antonov

Antonov

• 567 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:44

totally agree on that.

Moscow is also a fantastic destination which  has many direct flights from most parts of the world. It could do with some extra visibility these days.

#425 loki

loki

• 2,001 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 18:56

Why Sochi when Moscow city with its wide boulevards and epic scenery lends itself to a perfect location for a race?

Because Putin fancies it as a vacation spot and is trying to build it into an international travel desitination.

#426 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,437 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:55

Vettel flew to Russia from SPA and drove the Sochi track.  He claims it has "an interesting layout with a good mix of high speed corners and technical sections." 

http://www.formula1....14/8/16263.html

#427 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 95 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:02

Doesn't look that bad tbh

OMG ITS RUSSIA BETTER BAG IT OUT.

It looks shit no matter what country its in.

#428 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:49

Vettel flew to Russia from SPA and drove the Sochi track.  He claims it has "an interesting layout with a good mix of high speed corners and technical sections." 

http://www.formula1....14/8/16263.html

When a driver describes a track as interesting with a good mix of corners it's usually quite bad  :rotfl:

#429 TF110

TF110

• 831 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 20:42

Or its just as he said?

#430 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,382 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 21:04

Concrete nightmare. No trees or green areas or gradients anywhere in sight. I have visions of cars aquaplaning all over the place when it rains.

#431 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,443 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 23:57

I won't be watching.

#432 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,108 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:30

I will be

#433 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:16

A few posts removed.

Just a reminder that if people want to discuss whether it is right if the race goes ahead or not, there's this thread: http://forums.autosp...-2#entry6811471

This one is more about actual updates on what's happening with the race preparations. Thanks!

#434 Anders Torp

Anders Torp

• 499 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 15:33

I won't be watching.

Me neither.

#435 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 16:37

https://www.youtube....h&filters=month

might race ok but id forget where i was ontrack...

#436 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,039 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 18:13

It'll be impossible to say much before the race actually happens. Some tracks are fantastic in qualifying, less so in the race. Some tracks have a great atmosphere, others don't. It's too early to tell how this Grand Prix will shape up. Turkey was a track a lot of people quite liked, but the atmosphere was a total dud. Suzuka is one of the better tracks according to a lot of drivers, but the narrowness and layout of the track not infrequently lead to rather stale races.

It's always good to see F1 trying new tracks, especially when it's not reluctant to dump the ones that don't work out (Valencia, Korea).

#437 BRG

BRG

• 11,517 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 18:18

No track should be used for Formula 1 until it has been used for some other racing to check it out and iron out any problem issues both with the track itself, the facilities and of course the organisation.

#438 Bleu

Bleu

• 753 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 18:33

No track should be used for Formula 1 until it has been used for some other racing to check it out and iron out any problem issues both with the track itself, the facilities and of course the organisation.

Wasn't it like this for a long time? Of the tracks introduced in last decade I remember only races in Valencia (some Spanish GT race was held there)

#439 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 466 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 22:28

Absolutely!!!!! F1 should take a page from the Olympic notebook, and have a pre-event of some sort ...... GP2 perhaps. The venue should be evaluated for all of the above criteria and I am sure there are more.

Advertisement

#440 loki

loki

• 2,001 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:06

No one would invest in new circuits or agree to stage an event unless they were guaranteed a date.  It's just not practical.  Using that same logic, Hungary should have been off the calendar years ago.  Monaco, while prestigious isn't a particularly good circuit for racing.  The issue isn't so much with the circuits or even the promoters, it's that the business model of FOM sacrifices long term stability over short term profits and revenue.

#441 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,864 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:24

No one would invest in new circuits or agree to stage an event unless they were guaranteed a date.  It's just not practical.  Using that same logic, Hungary should have been off the calendar years ago.  Monaco, while prestigious isn't a particularly good circuit for racing.  The issue isn't so much with the circuits or even the promoters, it's that the business model of FOM sacrifices long term stability over short term profits and revenue.

Yep, but the at the moment F1 is hot stuff and they can afford to go and find the best payers. If popularity falls they can always revert back to lower paying tracks.

#442 BRG

BRG

• 11,517 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 20:10

:confused:   What is stopping new tracks from putting on events prior to the F1 race that they have negotiated?.  They have to get an FIA inspection in advance after all (although that seems to be a rubber stamp and an excuse for a nice all-expenses paid overseas holiday for the FIA bureaucrats). And what have Hungary and Monaco got to do with it?  Both were used for other races before their first F1 race (in the case of Monaco several decades before...).

But you are right about FOM of course.  Not that that is any reason for not requiring a simple basic preparatory process for any new track.

#443 loki

loki

• 2,001 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:37

Yep, but the at the moment F1 is hot stuff and they can afford to go and find the best payers. If popularity falls they can always revert back to lower paying tracks.

I wouldn't say it's "hot stuff".  Most of the promoters have a difficult time making money and some historically established races have refused to pay and have been taken off the calendar. The TV revenue compared to NASCAR or the NFL (or FIFA) is abysmal.  The only reason there are new circuits coming in are because they wouldn't have been able to even get a date in earlier years and governments are funding the races as a promotional tool.  And for many if not most of them it doesn't work. Eventually they will run out of countries and/or promoters willing to pay.  The viewer numbers are falling, race attendance is falling and fans are not being replaced by younger fans.  The sport is not popular in the two single largest consumer markets in the world (US and China) and is not that popular in what will be the next emerging consumer market, India.  Long term prospects don't look near as good as they have been in years gone by.

:confused:   What is stopping new tracks from putting on events prior to the F1 race that they have negotiated?.  They have to get an FIA inspection in advance after all (although that seems to be a rubber stamp and an excuse for a nice all-expenses paid overseas holiday for the FIA bureaucrats). And what have Hungary and Monaco got to do with it?  Both were used for other races before their first F1 race (in the case of Monaco several decades before...).

But you are right about FOM of course.  Not that that is any reason for not requiring a simple basic preparatory process for any new track.

The requirement for circuit amenities from the FOM to even be considered for a date only make sense if they host an F1 event.  It's not that difficult to get a Grade 1 circuit homologation with the right design, safety, etc but the additional requirements for FOM with regards to hospitality, paddock and media amenities make it not cost effective for other motorsports. The cost for a circuit to add what only FOM require adds tens of millions of dollars.  It's not practical to build one and hope to get an event let alone a sanctioning fee and escalator one could afford.  Currently hosting an F1 race with only private money is a poor value proposition.

The issues that have come up at new tracks aren't going to be solved by having a smaller support race prior to the date.  Look at Austin, for example. All went well. That's because there is a strong motorsport culture in a market that has a strong motorsport history.  The issue is now that most of the people or entities  being awarded an F1 event have little motorsport experience and are in locations that have little to no motorsport history or culture.

The issue of having an event prior to a GP is a solution in search of a problem. The issue isn't so much how it's done, it's who and where they are doing it.  And that's not going to change anything by having a date prior to the GP.

#444 Brackets

Brackets

• 179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:58

An infant smearing it's dinner on the table could design something more interesting.

In the middle of an Olympic village?

It may or may not have been a good idea to design a track in the middle of an Olympic village (the alternative can be seen in Athens, BTW), but once that call was made, I think they most likely did a pretty good job. The racing may or may not suck (largely decided by who wins, as it always goes…), but seriously, when was for example the last dry race at Spa that didn’t suck?

(Okay, that’s a loaded question since it’s never dry in Spa)

I’m actually still in a state of shock (well, not really, but I do like my hyperboles hot and steamy) at what looks like many ‘unsafe’ spots, only to be given an FIA approval. This is ~nothing~ like a concrete jungle, even if it is all in concrete…

(And no, I can’t explain Valencia away…)

#445 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,454 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:13

I’m actually still in a state of shock (well, not really, but I do like my hyperboles hot and steamy) at what looks like many ‘unsafe’ spots, only to be given an FIA approval.

Hyperbole aside, which bits look unsafe to you?

#446 Brackets

Brackets

• 179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:40

Nothing looks unsafe. Which is why I said it looks ‘unsafe’.

OK, joking aside (and I had to bite my tongue on the obvious "but look how close Ukraine is! If that ain't unsafe, then..." angle), there are a lot of walls in close proximity to the outside of corners. Some of them fast. Canada – for example – has that too, but that’s an ‘old’ track which was already on the calendar. I’m surprised to see it accepted in new tracks (although t.b.h. I haven’t really paid any attention to how things stand at the other new ‘street courses’), especially when we take into account the quote from Tilke from some time ago where he said – paraphrasing - he’d love to draw another 130R in a new track, but FIA regulations would mandate a 1.6km wide runoff area if he did. The sad part is: I’m not even sure if ~he~ was being hyperbolic with the 1.6km number…

#447 Kristian

Kristian

• 523 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:05

Nothing looks unsafe. Which is why I said it looks ‘unsafe’.

OK, joking aside (and I had to bite my tongue on the obvious "but look how close Ukraine is! If that ain't unsafe, then..." angle), there are a lot of walls in close proximity to the outside of corners. Some of them fast. Canada – for example – has that too, but that’s an ‘old’ track which was already on the calendar. I’m surprised to see it accepted in new tracks (although t.b.h. I haven’t really paid any attention to how things stand at the other new ‘street courses’), especially when we take into account the quote from Tilke from some time ago where he said – paraphrasing - he’d love to draw another 130R in a new track, but FIA regulations would mandate a 1.6km wide runoff area if he did. The sad part is: I’m not even sure if ~he~ was being hyperbolic with the 1.6km number…

See this is what annoys me - OK I can accept the need for huge runoffs these days IF we get amazing corners to go with it. Despite having acres of run-off, the FIA requested some of the esses at Austin to be slowed down in the name of safety. 

At the corners there is enough run-off at Sochi I'd say, and the walls on the straights are close enough for the feeling of speed. It looks just like Korea TBH. In the wet though it could be chaotic as nothing will slow the cars down... (see the accidents in budapest on the asphalt runoffs). 

#448 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,437 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:04

Sochi Circuit has honored Daniil Kvyat by naming a grandstand in his honor.  The first of many accolades to come I imagine.  :D

http://www.formula1....14/9/16279.html

#449 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,454 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:39

Wow. What are they gonna name after him when he actually achieves something?

#450 Sash1

Sash1

• 87 posts

Posted Today, 06:28

The toilets are known as "grandstand Vitaly Petrov".