Photo

Barry Sheene and James Hunt.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fatfreddie

fatfreddie

• 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 19:52

These are actual quotes from the new James Hunt biography I believe. Somehow I find them hard to believe.

"
His preparations were unconventional, to say the least. He had spent the two weeks leading up to the race on a round-the-clock alcohol, cannabis and cocaine binge with his friend Barry Sheene, who was world motorcycle champion that year.

[…]

In Japan, his playground of choice was the Tokyo Hilton, where every morning British Airways stewardesses were dropped off at reception for a 24-hour stopover.

Hunt unfailingly met them as they checked in and invited them to his suite for a party — they always said yes.

It wasn’t unusual for him and Sheene to have sex with all of the women, often together.

Now, I don´t claim to have known Barry Sheene very well, but I can´t recall him ever taking a drink, and I certainly never heard of anyone ever seeing him drunk. Of course he smoked like a chimney, and his weakness for the opposite sex is well documented, but I somehow doubt his smoking habits included cannabis, and I´m almost positive he never touched cocaine.
I could be wrong of course, but somehow I´d be very surprised if I was. There is no way he could have kept that sort of behaviour private, and I never heard even a suggestion of it during his racing days.
Any idea where the author got his information?

Advertisement

#2 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 21:10

Is that from the "new" recently released book by a certain Rubython ? If that's the case, the subject has been discussed at length recently in the car section of TNF and the following quotes represent the general opinion about this "book"

I skimmed over that Daily Mail article, and thought it an unpleasantly sensational character assassination job on a dead sporting hero who can't defend himself, and from what I know about James, he wouldn't have cared enough about it to even try. Tom Rubython has a poor reputation among racing fans, but he just happens to have a recently released book that he wants to publicise, hence this article in a popular newspaper, which was credited to Rubython himself, so a free advert. Anyone wanting to know more about James should read the Gerald Donaldson book, which though generally sympathetic, doesn't avoid the man's less attractive side, discussing it sensibly, and with fairness. Donaldson is a very competent writer, which is not something that Tom Rubython has often been accused of. James Hunt really was a sporting hero for a time, a great driver on his day, and a worthy World Champion. Although I don't think I met James, I've known many people who did, almost all liked him, and none had much to say against him as a man, it's a shame that things can't be left like that. Don't believe everything you read in the papers, especially when it's written by someone with a personal interest in a particular angle.

I have never read anything by Tom Rubython which warranted anything other than cutting up for use in the outside lavatory, surely that is all that needed to be said. Master James was a hero of mine and shall remain so, but even Gerald Donaldson on the dust jacket of his biography alludes to the drink, drugs and women.

Oh, and the link to the gutter-article in question from the Daily Mail is here, in case anyone cares
http://www.dailymail...esses-race.html

#3 fatfreddie

fatfreddie

• 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:59

Is that from the "new" recently released book by a certain Rubython ? If that's the case, the subject has been discussed at length recently in the car section of TNF and the following quotes represent the general opinion about this "book"

Sorry, I wasn´t aware of it having already been discussed.
Yes, a terrible bit of gutter journalism, isn´t it. :mad: :down:

#4 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:38

Sorry, I wasn´t aware of it having already been discussed.

Oh, no problem at all , your question to start off with was more specifically about Barry anyway . And while there is no doubt that the two of them were good mates, let's remember that at the time of those alleged Hunt-Sheene orgies that the Mail article relates to (1976) , Barry had been for a few years already in a solid and stable relationship with wife-to-be Stephanie, and although nobody can vouch about his level of loyalty to his girlfriend , I have difficulties imagining him, at that time of his life, taking part in the kind of group sex activities that Rubython describes .

I am actually quite disgusted that we even have to bring up this kind of, after all, rather private topic, only to defend the memory of another too early departed great sportsman such as Barry against the slander that the Rubythons of this world try to stirr up in order to sell more of their crappy books.

#5 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:42

Oh, no problem at all , your question to start off with was more specifically about Barry anyway . And while there is no doubt that the two of them were good mates, let's remember that at the time of those alleged Hunt-Sheene orgies that the Mail article relates to (1976) , Barry had been for a few years already in a solid and stable relationship with wife-to-be Stephanie, and although nobody can vouch about his level of loyalty to his girlfriend , I have difficulties imagining him, at that time of his life, taking part in the kind of group sex activities that Rubython describes .

I am actually quite disgusted that we even have to bring up this kind of, after all, rather private topic, only to defend the memory of another too early departed great sportsman such as Barry against the slander that the Rubythons of this world try to stirr up in order to sell more of their crappy books.

You mean my aspiration to be an orgy going road racing star was built on a myth....OMG :cry:

#6 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:18

You mean my aspiration to be an orgy going road racing star was built on a myth....OMG :cry:

Maybe next time around Russell :p ,and this article smacks of the old adage: 'Don't let the the truth get in the way of a good story'.Except this isn't a 'good' story'

HW

#7 SILVERDREAMRACER

SILVERDREAMRACER

• 116 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 13:16

Saint Bazzer? maybe we should get Lutonboy to fill in some gaps...they were best mates for a while,then they fell out big style ,
Lutonboy was a party animal alledgedly. :eek:

#8 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 19:53

Saint Bazzer? maybe we should get Lutonboy to fill in some gaps...they were best mates for a while,then they fell out big style ,
Lutonboy was a party animal alledgedly. :eek:

I do not intend to enter discussions on Barry's personnel life as i knew some of it in his younger days and like all young lads we enjoyed ourselves with smokes,drinks and the ladies and of cause bikes. But i can assure you drugs were not part of Barry's life neither anyones life in those hilerious days.
R.I.P BARRY

#9 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 20:03

I do not intend to enter discussions on Barry's personnel life as i knew some of it in his younger days and like all young lads we enjoyed ourselves with smokes,drinks and the ladies and of cause bikes. But i can assure you drugs were not part of Barry's life neither anyones life in those hilerious days.
R.I.P BARRY

Blimey, was it just me then :stoned:

#10 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 22:44

R.I.P BARRY

my thoughts entirely Arthur

Daisy

#11 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:24

[quote name='Coupe Kawasaki' date='Oct 23 2010, 22:44' post='4661065']
my thoughts entirely Arthur

Daisy
[/quoI Reckon I can put my two bobs worth as I was there. Stood back for a few days and did'nt want to comment but.............

In my opinion Barry did nothing to slander our sport but did enhance it, particularly in a contempary way, taking it from black n white to colour.

Before Steph I have no doubt he had a record that some would be proud of and some not so comfortable with.Many women wanted Barry and when he was free, he obliged along with all the mega stars of the time. It would seem obscene to some, others may be envious or ill, it was life in the 70's and 80's not odd.

He could light up a room!!!!!!!!!

Never saw him with drugs, as in never but my life has taught me that you never know....

Edited by stuavant, 24 October 2010 - 19:51.

#12 SILVERDREAMRACER

SILVERDREAMRACER

• 116 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 14:04

all depends on the definition of "party"

I'm so square I thought it meant lemonade , sausage rolls,jelly and ice-cream if you were lucky. :rotfl:

even to this day some of the surviving "party animals" from the 70s,80s and 90s seem to enjoy "stimulants"

each to their own.....

#13 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 21:55

I read Barry's book a couple of years ago and in the preface Stephanie says something along the lines of 'I thought I knew all about Barry's antics but after reading this book he's got some serious explaining to do when I get up there!'

#14 kevins

kevins

• 146 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 15:50

Just seen this:

ITV to air Hunt, Sheene documentary

http://www.itv-f1.co...e.aspx?id=49546

Does not say date/time apart from November.