Photo

Collecting race programmes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 15:04

Although mentioned in passing in other threads I thought that collecting motor racing programmes deserved one of its own (hill climbs and sprints included).

I have kept a copy of every race meeting I have ever attended - 1963 onwards. Not content with that though, largely thanks to Ebay, I have purchased many more over the past few years. So far I have limited myself to UK events and have concentrated predominantly on late 1950s/1960s meetings. I have tended to target the bigger meetings - Grand Prix, TTs, non-championship F1, F2 etc. although I am not immune to the odd club event or two.

One specific theme that has emerged is Crystal Palace programmes - mainly because I grew up nearby and attended most car meetings during the last 10 seasons of racing at the Palace. I need four more to complete my collection of post-war meetings.

I am not sure what particularly drew me to collecting programmes. Okay, I am a motor sport fan but the one doesn't necessarily follow the other. Also, they are not something that can easily be displayed. But, what I do distinctly remember is the sense of anticipation, as a youngster, arriving at Palace or Brands and purchasing a programme and eagerly scouring the schedule of events to see who and what was due to appear. I still find great enjoyment in pouring over old programmes and reviving memories of what are now long gone days.

It would be good to hear from any other programme enthusiasts/collectors and to know what you collect and why? Perhaps there are some elusive ones you are still trying to track down?

Below is a photo of just a small sample of my collection.
Peter

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#2 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 17:41

Hi. i collect programmes to mine are mainly 62 though to 71/72 at the moment, i do collect club racing as a norm as i find that some are expensive for what they are .

I am collating the entry lists from these programmes as the early ones only have the drivers initials and i have made it a quest to find the first names of them.

A lot are bought from ebay as my original collection was given away when we moved to a bungalow where there was not enough room anymore, much to my regret.

#3 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:14

I have a good number myself.

#4 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:26

I have a brother who has been collecting motor racing programmes for years, and when he dies, all those programmes will be passed on to me.
I will have to add another room onto my house to store them all.
Thats OK as his wife is threatening to burn the lot if I don't come and collect them.

#5 IanMH

IanMH

• 186 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 21:34

While doing a search for information on my local circuit Ingliston near Edinburgh, I came across a site selling racing memorabilia which was advertising a 1973 Ingliston programme for sale at £47.00 !!! . I have the same programme in my possession along with about another 200 covering Ingliston, Knockhill, Croft, Oulton Park , Mallory Park, Donington, Silverstone and Brands Hatch between 1972 and 1998. Some are from Grands Prix and World sportscars, some F2 including the first Donington and Rouen. What I would like to know is, are people buying programmes at these kind of prices?, and am I sitting on a fortune?!!!  ;) Cheers Ian