• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:06

From ITV Press Office: http://www.itv.com/p...ld/default.html

Hunt and Sheene: When Playboys Ruled The World.
New ITV Sport documentary for ITV1

They were the sports stars who defined an era: the daredevil bravery they employed on the track taking them to the very top of world motorsport, and their hell-raising antics keeping them on the front and back pages of the world’s press.

ITV Sport is producing a new documentary looking at the lives of 1970s motorsport legends, James Hunt and Barry Sheene. When Playboys Ruled the World examines the close relationship between the two British world champions who, despite their different disciplines and backgrounds, became like brothers.

Formula One driver James Hunt, who won the 1976 world championship, and Barry Sheene, who won the motorcycle world championships in 1976 and 1977, were crowd favourites and national heroes. As famous for the party lifestyle they led away from the track as their achievements on it, they embraced the playboy tag given to them.

When Playboys Ruled the World contrasts public and media attitudes towards the private lives of Hunt and Sheene in comparison to the heavily scrutinised lifestyles of today’s multi-million pound sports stars.

Produced by the team behind ITV Sport’s Grierson nominated documentary Clough, When Playboys Ruled the World mixes original interviews with James Hunt and Barry Sheene with exceptional archive footage and new opinion from friends, family members and industry experts. Contributors include Barry’s widow, Stephanie Sheene, James’s brother, David Hunt, Sir Stirling Moss, Max Mosley, Murray Walker, Max Clifford and Kelvin MacKenzie.

Niall Sloane, ITV Controller of Sport said: “James Hunt and Barry Sheene were the last of a generation whose lifestyles, as much as their huge success on the track, made them sporting heroes.

“This new documentary tells the fascinating story of two of Britain’s greatest motorsport champions and looks at a way of life and a friendship which probably would not exist in the modern sporting and media world.”

When Playboys Ruled the World is an ITV Sport production and will be broadcast on ITV1 in November.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:17

Now why does the word Rubython slither to mind?

#3 Pushkin

Pushkin

• 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:46

Should we all pledge not to watch it on the basis that we'll only get annoyed? Or perhaps watch the pictures with the sound turned-off?

#4 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:58

Kelvin MacKenzie and Max Clifford. Need I say anymore?
Pete

#5 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:27

Should we all pledge not to watch it on the basis that we'll only get annoyed? Or perhaps watch the pictures with the sound turned-off?

No, I have a feeling it'll keep us going for quite some time!

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 13:12

Back in January I was contacted by producer Andrew Marriott and asked if I had any James Hunt footage in my collection. Unfortunately, I have very little. I do know that Andrew has been trawling the various archives for both Sheene and Hunt footage. I'm going to catch it, makes a change for a motorsport documentary to be shown on one of the main channels as opposed to ITV4, BBC3 or BBC4.

#7 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 17:11

Or perhaps watch the pictures with the sound turned-off?

That is what I shall be doing, the fact that it is on ITV1 says all you need to know about the quality of the 'journalism'.

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 17:29

If it was the sort of programme we'd enjoy it wouldn't be on one of the main terrestrial channels :well:

#9 Cargo

Cargo

• 244 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 18:26

Ordinarily would look forward to any kind of prog about these two characters, but after seeing the TV prog' made about Colin Chapman on UK Tv (last year?) that was SO terrible I'm not sure I will bother. The docu' I'm thinking about had a number of "reconstructions" of CC in the pits and whatnot. Just dire ... Is the same production Co' involved with this effort?

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 18:47

Nope.

#11 Pushkin

Pushkin

• 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:49

How about a documentary called: 'Hunt and Sheene: When Britain Ruled the Track"?

It's really sad that things need to be sensationalised and/or dumbed-down to get an audience these days. After all, their Ugandan exploits would be of no interest if it wasn't for what they achieved on the track....

#12 opplock

opplock

• 951 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 14:38

A UK retailer well known for selling diecast models is currently advertising the Rubython book. Their puff starts with the statement:

"Hunt is remembered more for his girlfriends and wild personal exploits than for his skills in a race car."

My response to this is - BS. Any off circuit activities are surely of marginal interest to those of us old enough to remember motor racing in the seventies or with sufficient interest in the sport to understand that motor racing existed before Senna. I am told that there are people currently watching F1 who have no idea who Senna was. Sad but apparently true.

Am I missing out on something and is there huge interest in James Hunt from people who couldn't tell the difference between a Ferrari 312T, a Hesketh, or an Andrea Moda?

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 19:23

TX date and time : ITV1 Monday, 15 November 2010, 10:35PM - 12:00AM.

#14 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 22:32

Thanks for the time check. Andy Marriot wasn't one of the bad guys back in the day. Has he changed that much?

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:48

Thanks for the time check. Andy Marriot wasn't one of the bad guys back in the day. Has he changed that much?

That's what I thought too. Maybe some here are a bit trigger happy with their critiques - a bit like Mary Whitehouse denouncing TV shows that she admitted she had never watched!

#16 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:01

I doubt the respected journalist & marketing man has changed, but in order to get a programme he's involved with, produced and sold to air, it has to have some greater, more widespread appeal. I'm sure a cheque from ITV1 is bigger than BBC4! Reading Mark Hughes words in Autosport about the Senna film, it seems that particular story is told from a point of view that serves only one opinion. We'll just have to wait and see what Monday brings...

#17 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:19

This is the description given by DigiGuide for the documentary:

When Playboys Ruled the World (Documentary)
ITV1 Central
Monday, November 15th, 2010
10:35pm to 12:00am

In the long hot summer of 1976, Formula One star James Hunt and motorcycling legend Barry Sheene conquered the world and captured the public imagination with their playboy lifestyles, but today they would be every agent's nightmare. Using archive footage, this programme tells the story of Hunt and Sheene against the backdrop of the 2010 sporting scandals surrounding Tiger Woods, John Terry and Wayne Rooney. Featuring interviews with Sheene's wife Stephanie, Hunt's brother David, motorsport guru Murray Walker and former Formula One chief Max Mosley.
Editor's Choice, New, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles

(If you're in Scotland, I'm afraid you'll have to retune to ITV1 London or wait until November 23rd at 10:40pm to see it)

Edited by D.M.N., 12 November 2010 - 16:20.

#18 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:37

And this from the ITV website:

They were the sports stars who defined an era: the daredevil bravery they employed on the track taking them to the very top of world motorsport, and their hell-raising antics keeping them on the front and back pages of the world’s press.

ITV Sport is producing a new documentary looking at the lives of 1970s motorsport legends, James Hunt and Barry Sheene. When Playboys Ruled the World examines the close relationship between the two British world champions who, despite their different disciplines and backgrounds, became like brothers.

Formula One driver James Hunt, who won the 1976 world championship, and Barry Sheene, who won the motorcycle world championships in 1976 and 1977, were crowd favourites and national heroes. As famous for the party lifestyle they led away from the track as their achievements on it, they embraced the playboy tag given to them.

Narrated by Rupert Penry-Jones, When Playboys Ruled the World contrasts public and media attitudes towards the private lives of Hunt and Sheene in comparison to the heavily scrutinised lifestyles of today’s multi-million pound sports stars.

Produced by the team behind ITV Sport’s Grierson nominated documentary Clough, When Playboys Ruled the World mixes original interviews with James Hunt and Barry Sheene with exceptional archive footage and new opinion from friends, family members and industry experts. Contributors include Barry’s widow, Stephanie Sheene, James’s brother, David Hunt, Sir Stirling Moss, Max Mosley, Murray Walker, Max Clifford and Kelvin MacKenzie.

Niall Sloane, ITV Controller of Sport said: “James Hunt and Barry Sheene were the last of a generation whose lifestyles, as much as their huge success on the track, made them sporting heroes.

“This new documentary tells the fascinating story of two of Britain’s greatest motorsport champions and looks at a way of life and a friendship which probably would not exist in the modern sporting and media world.”

How far into Stirl's piece will we go before he utters the word "crumpet"?

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:55

If the programme uses Hunt and Sheene to contrast public - OK, then, media - attitudes to "celebrities" then and now, it could be quite interesting

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 17:20

And this from the ITV website:

How far into Stirl's piece will we go before he utters the word "crumpet"?

I'll go for his third sentence!

Interestingly they haven't been able to include interviews with either of Master James's wives, Lord Hesketh, Bubbles Horsley (what is he up to nowadays?) or anybody else from Hesketh, Ron Dennis, Joe Ramirez or anybody else from McLaren, etc - maybe not celebrity enough to mention in the blurb?

#21 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 18:21

Interestingly they haven't been able to include interviews with either of Master James's wives, Lord Hesketh, Bubbles Horsley (what is he up to nowadays?) or anybody else from Hesketh, Ron Dennis, Joe Ramirez or anybody else from McLaren, etc - maybe not celebrity enough to mention in the blurb?

Quite possibly because none of the names you mentioned are likely to say anything bad about James, so not controversial or sensational enough tor the programme makers. In my experience, most exercises of this kind are constructed around a preconceived theme of some kind, and they'll never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Most people who knew James rather liked the bloke, and wouldn't say anything bad about him.

#22 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 21:28

Seeing reference to Barry Shene's wife Stephanie above reminds me that, at the time, the driver I co-drove on the RAC Rally 75/76 (see current photos on that subject on "Rally photos" thread here) was their next door neighbour. The Sheenes were at Charlwood Manor, near Gatwick Airport, and my driver was at the considerably less impressive Old Police House. I got the distinct impression that my man was a very great admirer from not so afar, who lived only for the times he got to talk to Mrs Sheene over the fence or in the village shop!

#23 arm

arm

• 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 13:13

The programme was my original idea but has been made by the ITV team who made the highly rated Clough programme. Petrolheads have to remember that there is a wider audience out there and this documentary caters to that wider audience. Yes there is some sex in it but there are also some great racing shots and I hope enthusiasts will enjoy it. It is untrue to say that no McLaren personnel are interviewed, there is a major contribution by Alister Caldwell, who has never spoken publicly about his relationship with James before. There are also contributions from Gerhard Berger and Max Mosley. I tried very hard to get Lord Hesketh to participate, sadly without success although there are some older quotes from him in the film. I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks. But as my old employer Mr Wesley Tee once told me when I complained about some aspect of working for Motoring News." Two men looked through prison bars - one saw mud, the other saw stars!"

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 13:54

Welcome, Mr Marriott! I - and I'm sure many others here - used to avidly devour your Motoring News reports "back in the day". Thanks for your reassurances. :up:

#25 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:48

Yes, welcome Andrew :wave:

I'm looking forward to the programme

Hope you can contribute to future discussions on the "good old days"

#26 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:53

The programme was my original idea but has been made by the ITV team who made the highly rated Clough programme. Petrolheads have to remember that there is a wider audience out there and this documentary caters to that wider audience...as my old employer Mr Wesley Tee once told me when I complained about some aspect of working for Motoring News." Two men looked through prison bars - one saw mud, the other saw stars!"

As I wrote earlier, but as an aside, surely there is enough material for a programme about the aforementioned Mr.T?

Incidentally I was present when you did the voice over commentary sections, only loosely scripted, but all done in one take for the Space Riders film. :up:

Edited by mfd, 13 November 2010 - 15:54.

#27 arm

arm

• 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:27

The Space Riders film - I kind of wish I had a copy of it, terrible though it was. I think I tried to get them to change some of the script with little success. Any way fun to finally join the forum. Am off next week to Shanghai DTM mystery race for ESPN and others.

At one time at Standard House when I was News Editor of MN, Mr Tee made us line up outside his office with a chit to be sigtned if we wanted to make a phone call out of London. It didn't last long but was pretty frustrating. There is almost certainly a book in him, has anyone on the Formum said what a lunatic but lucky driver he was? No one at MN ever wanted to ride alongside him - rather similar to travelling to races when his son Michael was learning to fly. I survived several airborne scares.

#28 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:56

I think I tried to get them to change some of the script with little success.

I did a little of the same, because at the time, I felt it would be watched by people who knew & cared. There was one bit filmed at Mallory, where they show testing around the circuit and then arriving in the pits from the wrong direction! If one thing in particular stood out, it was my distaste for the grotesque crash sequence at the beginning. It was very low budget though, which reminds me after the "premiere" I overheard one of the Suzuki or could have been, Honda team bosses, saying he was disappointed the beginning wasn't more like a James Bond film, ten minutes long & full of action.

All of which comes back to where the thread started. As you mentioned..."mud & stars"

#29 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:26

As I wrote earlier, but as an aside, surely there is enough material for a programme about the aforementioned Mr.T?

Let's have the whole family in there. It could be rather like The Osbournes, but perhaps without any bats (though I am uncertain about that).

#30 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 18:02

Space Riders trailer http://www.videodete...r/P00002281.htm

and links to several other "bike" films below.

#31 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:42

tonight!

#32 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 582 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:47

yeah, looking forward to it even though the timming is a bit late :)

Edited by tyrrellp346wheels, 15 November 2010 - 14:47.

#33 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 15:34

Pour moi aussi

Guess that's what we have iPlayer for :lol:

#34 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 16:53

Unless it is repeated I'll never get to see it. No iPlayer, we are an hour further advanced than you lot and the Rotweiler start growling if i stay up pst her bedtime as she objects to me wakening her up! How times have changed :kiss:

#35 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 23:57

I thought it was a good programme.

#36 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 00:08

Agreed. Very well put together, although I could have done without the Roger Williamson crash film and with perhaps a little less Max Mosley. I noticed one error early in the voiceover, which stated that James attended Wellington - he was at Wellington College, which is not the same thing. It also might have been better to explain that Ronnie Peterson was rescued alive from his car and died later in hospital when it was thought he was out of danger.

Loved the outtakes between James and Stirling! And was that Brett Lunger getting hysterics with Emerson and James when he was doing the sound level test?

#37 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:21

I noticed one error early in the voiceover, which stated that James attended Wellington - he was at Wellington College, which is not the same thing.

That was not an error. Wellington College is the public school in Berkshire whose colours James carried on his helmet; Wellington School is the place in Somerset that Jeffrey Archer attended.

#38 Simpson RX1

Simpson RX1

• 300 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:55

Agreed. Very well put together, although I could have done without the Roger Williamson crash film and with perhaps a little less Max Mosley. I noticed one error early in the voiceover, which stated that James attended Wellington - he was at Wellington College, which is not the same thing. It also might have been better to explain that Ronnie Peterson was rescued alive from his car and died later in hospital when it was thought he was out of danger.

Loved the outtakes between James and Stirling! And was that Brett Lunger getting hysterics with Emerson and James when he was doing the sound level test?

Looked like Jochen Mass to me.

I enjoyed it, although I think the BBC would've done it better.

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:28

That was not an error. Wellington College is the public school in Berkshire whose colours James carried on his helmet; Wellington School is the place in Somerset that Jeffrey Archer attended.

That was what I meant. The voiceover said something like "He attended Wellingon, the prestigious public school ..." "College" was not mentioned: and having grown up in Crowthorne, I'm well aware where Wellington College is ...

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:01

The programme for me was simply a fascinating social document of just how much life has changed in the last 34 years. I can't begin to image what the next 34 years will bring but I would be very surprised if there is any trace of motor sport as we know it in 2044.

Edited by Giraffe, 16 November 2010 - 11:24.

#41 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:14

That was what I meant. The voiceover said something like "He attended Wellingon, the prestigious public school ..." "College" was not mentioned: and having grown up in Crowthorne, I'm well aware where Wellington College is ...

Then I'm surprised that you don't know that Wellingtonians refer to their school as "Wellington", just as Etonians and the rest of the world call Eton College "Eton", and Marlburians refer to plain "Marlborough".

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:25

I'm perfectly aware of that. But most people aren't and would assume he went to the one in Somerset. I'm not aware of where Mr Marriott was educated, but Rupert Penry-Jones, who did the narration, went to Dulwich College.

#43 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:59

All in all I didn't think it was a bad programme although Barry's wife seems to suck lemons for a pastime, Murray seemed to have wanted to say far more about James Hunt, and they tended to drift away from the main subject matter a few times. Not bad though.

#44 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:00

Pour moi aussi

Guess that's what we have iPlayer for :lol:

So....do the British media tend to leave young Freddie alone?? :rolleyes:

#45 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:11

I'm perfectly aware of that. But most people aren't and would assume he went to the one in Somerset. I'm not aware of where Mr Marriott was educated, but Rupert Penry-Jones, who did the narration, went to Dulwich College.

A strange assumption. Jeffery Archer tried to pass himself off as a product of the more prestigious establishment in Berkshire by saying he was educated at "Wellington".
I knew James in the late 60s and 70s. He, my brother-in-law and all our friends who were Wellingtonians called the place "Wellington". Those of us who are still alive still do. I think ARM was entitled to stick to that convention.

#46 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:19

& just FYI, apparently the Good Lord refused to be interviewed...that's why any new footage of him wasn't in the programme.

#47 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:26

So....do the British media tend to leave young Freddie alone?? :rolleyes:

Sorry can you explain?

#48 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:27

& just FYI, apparently the Good Lord refused to be interviewed...that's why any new footage of him wasn't in the programme.

Indeed. See post #23.

#49 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:45

Sorry can you explain?

http://www.timesonli...icle1558283.ece

Am I right in thinking that Freddie's racing career has rather petered out?

#50 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:00

Freddie Hunt decided to give up racing last year after competing in five rounds of the ADAC Formel Masters.