Photo

Speedway: Italy-USSR. 1965, Lonigo

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 21:26

At the end of August – September 1965 in Italy took the unusual match automotorsport Italy – Soviet Union.

His program included three fights in motorsports and 3 match for motorsport.
Motor sports competition won the Soviet racers – 40:77, by motor racing – the Italian master – 87:20.
The total score of the match – 127:97 – in favor of Italian racers.

The program of motor sports competition included:
Motocross;
Speedway;
Highway-ring motorcycle races.

Here, the advantages of Soviet riders were in the first two types of motorsports.
Especially notable is turned into a speedway, where the expense of the race was devastating for the owners of the site (the race was held in Lonigo, in a city park, where at that time was the city track or race track) – 3:36!

I would like to see more detailed details of the meeting between the teams on a speedway in Italy and the Soviet Union, as well as the exact date of that race.

I hope that the experts of this forum will help with this!

Advertisement

#2 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 23:44

For the USSR national team in this race was:

Igor Plekhanov,
Gabdrakhman Kadyrov,
Yuriy Chekranov,
Gennadiy Kurylenko,
Vladimir Sokolov,
Viktor Trofimov,
Valentin Moiseyev.

#3 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:08

Igor Plekhanov,
Gabdrakhman Kadyrov,
Yuriy Chekranov,
Gennadiy Kurylenko,
Vladimir Sokolov,
Viktor Trofimov,
Valentin Moiseyev.

Hi Gorka, I have a book"1947-1997 MOTO CLUB LONIGO".It shows 3 pictures on page20 of the U.S.S.R./ITALY Speedway.It has no date,shows in the main picture Socolov,Trofimov and Plekanov seated on what were at the time leading edge ESO machines.The next shot is of Plekanov on bike with 3 officials,Ruggeri,Migliorini and Guerriero.The last one is a close up of an ESO.Amando Castangna who is now an FIM official for Italian track racing may be able to put you in touch with some Lonigo oldtimers who can help you further. I think Victor Trofimov is still around as I met his son when I rode in an old timer event in Zarnovica,Slovakia some years ago.He told me his dad was O.K. I hope this helps your research,In Sport,Rotrax.

Edited by rotrax, 08 November 2010 - 09:29.

#4 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:38

Hi Gorka, I have a book"1947-1997 MOTO CLUB LONIGO".It shows 3 pictures on page20 of the U.S.S.R./ITALY Speedway.It has no date,shows in the main picture Socolov,Trofimov and Plekanov seated on what were at the time leading edge ESO machines.The next shot is of Plekanov on bike with 3 officials,Ruggeri,Migliorini and Guerriero.The last one is a close up of an ESO.Amando Castanga who is now an FIM official for Italian track racing may be able to put you in touch with some Lonigo oldtimers who can help you further. I think Viktor Trofimov is still around as I met his son when I rode in an old timer event in Zarnovica,Slovakia some years ago.He told me his dad was O.K. I hope this helps your research,In Sport,Rotrax.

Hello, Rotrax!
I saw this book. All photos, which you mention are available on page 22.
I will try to connect with Armando Castagna!
Thanks for the info, Gorka!

Edited by Gorka, 17 February 2011 - 23:18.

#5 Tony L

Tony L

• 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 19:25

Igor Plekhanov,
Gabdrakhman Kadyrov,
Yuriy Chekranov,
Gennadiy Kurylenko,
Vladimir Sokolov,
Viktor Trofimov,
Valentin Moiseyev.

I watched a couple of Soviet era books about motorsport, but did not found date or more detailed description of the Speedway competition. Jüri Randla who himself compited in roadracing competition writes few words about all 3 different motorsport races.
Shortly about all 3.

Motocross.
Motocrossers were the first ones to compete with Italians.
Unfortunately, the World Champion V. Arbekov was injured in race in Bulgaria, because of that excluded from the contest. In addition, motocross team ran into a traffic accident when driving to Italy, and teams no. 1, I. Grigoryev was slightly injured as a result of that and motorcycles were damaged.
Motocross race was in 250-cc class.
There was a three races, of which two best results were taken into account.
Soviet team included I. Grigoryev, A. Yakovlev, G. Draugs, A. Zaveljev, I. Agejev and A. Dezinov.
Yakovlev on 250cc CZ won first 2 races, but crashed with Grigoryev on third, but still finished fourth(with broken legbone).
Yakolvlev won, Grigoryev second and only Italian, who put up stiff resistance was Cavallero, who was third. Rest of Italians had position 7-12.

Motocross score was 32:7.

Speedway.
Track was unusually on sand. Relatively little resistance from Italians.

But roadracing was different for Soviet team.
Race took part 19-th September in Monza track. 250, 350 and 500cc classes vere compited.
250cc- T.Provini(Benelli), R. Venturi(Benelli), V.Pylajev(Serpukhov S-259) and B.Judin(S-259)
350cc- S. Grassetti(Bianchi), R. Pasolini(Aermacchi), N. Sevostyanov(Vostok S-364) and E.Kiisa(Vostok S-364)
500cc-G. Milani(Honda), G. Mandolini(Moto Guzzi), B. Ivanov and J. Randla.
There was two 25 lap races and all classes started together. Provini won easily. Most Soviets had problems with their bikes. Sevostjanov retired his 4-cylinder Vostok allready on second lap, because of broken conrod. Kiisa had to make two stops, to fix his bike.

Some statistical info about Soviet Union speedway team members that I could find.

I.Plekhanov.
Results in speedway World Championship.
1961- 13-th
1962- 10-th
1964- second place
1965- second place
Soviet Union Champion in speedway- 1960, 1961, 1963, 1965, 1968
Second place- 1959, 1962, 1964, 1967

G.Kadyrov
He was more of an ice speedway racer.
Results in ice speedway World Championship.
World champion- 1966, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973
Second place- 1970
Third place- 1974
Soviet Union Championship in ice speedway.
1963- third in 175cc class
1964, 1969 and 1970- champion in 500cc class
1966 and 1967 second place.

Y. Chekranov.
Results in ice speedway World Championship.
1966- fourth place

G.Kurylenko
1964- 8-th place
1968- 4-th place
1970- 14-th place
Soviet Union Champion in speedway 1970 and second in 1965 and 1968.

V. Sokolov
Soviet Union Championship in speedway.
Third place in 1965 and 1966

V. Trofimov
1975- 8-th place
Soviet Union Champion in speedway 1967
1964 and 1969 third place

V. Moiseyev
Only result I could find on him, was third place in longtrack speedway 125cc class in 1959.

Edited by Tony L, 07 November 2010 - 19:35.

#6 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 22:21

I watched a couple of Soviet era books about motorsport, but did not found date or more detailed description of the Speedway competition. Juri Randla who himself compited in roadracing competition writes few words about all 3 different motorsport races.
Shortly about all 3.

Motocross.
Motocrossers were the first ones to compete with Italians.
Unfortunately, the World Champion V. Arbekov was injured in race in Bulgaria, because of that excluded from the contest. In addition, motocross team ran into a traffic accident when driving to Italy, and teams no. 1, I. Grigoryev was slightly injured as a result of that and motorcycles were damaged.
Motocross race was in 250-cc class.
There was a three races, of which two best results were taken into account.
Soviet team included I. Grigoryev, A. Yakovlev, G. Draugs, A. Zaveljev, I. Agejev and A. Dezinov.
Yakovlev on 250cc CZ won first 2 races, but crashed with Grigoryev on third, but still finished fourth(with broken legbone).
Yakolvlev won, Grigoryev second and only Italian, who put up stiff resistance was Cavallero, who was third. Rest of Italians had position 7-12.

Motocross score was 32:7.

Speedway.
Track was unusually on sand. Relatively little resistance from Italians.

But roadracing was different for Soviet team.
Race took part 19-th September in Monza track. 250, 350 and 500cc classes vere compited.
250cc- T.Provini(Benelli), R. Venturi(Benelli), V.Pylajev(Serpukhov S-259) and B.Judin(S-259)
350cc- S. Grassetti(Bianchi), R. Pasolini(Aermacchi), N. Sevostyanov(Vostok S-364) and E.Kiisa(Vostok S-364)
500cc-G. Milani(Honda), G. Mandolini(Moto Guzzi), B. Ivanov and J. Randla.
There was two 25 lap races and all classes started together. Provini won easily. Most Soviets had problems with their bikes. Sevostjanov retired his 4-cylinder Vostok allready on second lap, because of broken conrod. Kiisa had to make two stops, to fix his bike.

Some statistical info about Soviet Union speedway team members that I could find...

Thanks for the info, Tony!

#7 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:48

Hello, Rotrax!
I saw this book. All photos, which you mention are available on page 22.
I will try to connect with Armando Castagna!
Thanks for the info, Gorka!

Hi Gorka,Just checked my copy-PAGE 22 shows Fundin,Hoffmiester and my old mate Gunter Walla, as well as a couple of other pics. Page 20 in my copy shows the match you are interested in -perhaps they ammended the book and you have a more recent copy. In Sport, Rotrax.

#8 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 13:52

Slightly OT, but I remember Igor Plekhanov competing in a speedway meeting at Abensberg, Germany which I watched as a kid in the mid-sixties and also Gabdrakhman Kadyrov, who was unbeatable in ice speedway then at Inzell, the only meeting of that kind which took place over here

#9 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 17:18

Slightly OT, but I remember Igor Plekhanov competing in a speedway meeting at Abensberg, Germany which I watched as a kid in the mid-sixties and also Gabdrakhman Kadyrov, who was unbeatable in ice speedway then at Inzell, the only meeting of that kind which took place over here

Hi Renmax, nice to know you have seen a bit of proper speedway, and ice racing. I have met with a couple of Czechs who put it about a bit on the ice-Antonin Svab and Milan Spinka. They seemed to be quite normal,not off their heads at all. When the Russians came to Wembley for a World Final the West Ham rider Tony Smith nicked their bikes-caused a dent in the old cold war relationship. I saw a film taken by Roy Oldacre of the Leatherhead Club which featured ice racing. It showed a lot of red dots in the ice after a rider got run over-very nasty! Currently the young Russians are showing a lot of Speedway potential.Its good to see. Best regards, Rotrax.

#10 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 18:03

Hi Renmax, nice to know you have seen a bit of proper speedway, and ice racing. I have met with a couple of Czechs who put it about a bit on the ice-Antonin Svab and Milan Spinka. They seemed to be quite normal,not off their heads at all. When the Russians came to Wembley for a World Final the West Ham rider Tony Smith nicked their bikes-caused a dent in the old cold war relationship. I saw a film taken by Roy Oldacre of the Leatherhead Club which featured ice racing. It showed a lot of red dots in the ice after a rider got run over-very nasty! Currently the young Russians are showing a lot of Speedway potential.Its good to see. Best regards, Rotrax.

Hi Mike, speedway and especially long tracks (1000 metre) used to be very popular then in the southern part of Germany, where guys like Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, John Louis, Don Godden, Ole Olsen etc. turned up regularly. I seem to remember Antonin Svab ( didn't he clinch a ice speedway worldchampionship ?) competing in a long track meeting at Straubing, he was on his own, not even a helper accompanied him. Refering to ice speedway, the cornering speed as long as the ice is not crushed is thrilling , at least when you see it for the first time. Those guys were the first riders with knees and sometimes elbows on the ground...

Edited by Rennmax, 08 November 2010 - 18:56.

#11 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:28

Hi Mike, speedway and especially long tracks (1000 metre) used to be very popular then in the southern part of Germany, where guys like Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, John Louis, Don Godden, Ole Olsen etc. turned up regularly. I seem to remember Antonin Svab ( didn't he clinch a ice speedway worldchampionship ?) competing in a long track meeting in Straubing, he was on his own, not even a helper accompanied him. Refering to ice speedway, the cornering speed as long as the ice is not crushed is thrilling , at least when you see it for the first time. Those guys were the first riders with knees and sometimes elbows on the ground...

Hi Renn, I think both Svab and Spinka were ice world champs. I spent two weeks in the Krankenhause in Muhldorf after "ich farhen links". My first visitor was Briggo and his lovely but sadly late wife June. Briggo said" you are a prat Coombesey!" He was, of course, correct. I rode many of the South German longtracks in the Oldtimer Euro Series. It was great untill the organising club got money in the bank and raised its profile. Riders started spending real dough and using top tuners.It was really serious for a time and guys got hurt-the sport went out of it . Instead of a lot of old mates having a blast it was like being 20 again with all the attendant risk. I would not have missed it but I am glad I stopped. In sport, Rotrax.

Edited by rotrax, 08 November 2010 - 19:31.

#12 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 19:41

And how did finish the race in Lonigo in 1965?

And who knows the exact date of its implementation?

Best regards, Gorka.

#13 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 19:35

And how did finish the race in Lonigo in 1965?

And who knows the exact date of its implementation?

Best regards, Gorka.

Hi Gorka, Sorry I have been reminising on your post. You must try Amando. Perhaps his close friend and Mentor Vito can help. Also Francesca Barbetta may have some details.I dont have any italian and Barbetta has no english. Good Luck. Rotrax.

Edited by rotrax, 09 November 2010 - 19:38.

#14 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 23:20

Hi Gorka, Sorry I have been reminising on your post. You must try Amando. Perhaps his close friend and Mentor Vito can help. Also Francesca Barbetta may have some details.I dont have any italian and Barbetta has no english. Good Luck. Rotrax.

Oh, Signor Vito Artosin!

He was with us in Rovno 1985 when Valentino Furlanetto represented in the semi-final European Junior Championship (speedway).

#15 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 21:09

Here, read this thread:

http://www.internati...co.uk/itvsu.htm

But nothing new yet on that distant meeting Lonigo ...

#16 Gorka

Gorka

• 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 16:46

Became known to date for the races in Lonigo: they held the first weekend of autumn - September 4-5, 1965.