• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cookie2508

cookie2508

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:42

Hi All,

I'm a university student working on my Dissertation based upon the idea of:

Will New Environmentally Positive Developments in the British Touring Car Championship Encourage Existing and Potential Sponsors to Associate themselves with the sport?

Any views or ideas from anyone would be excellent . . .

Advertisement

#2 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:20

No.

At the end of the day racing is still racing, a car running on lentil soup will still manage to offend the tree huggers one way or another

#3 JustinCider

JustinCider

• 836 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:22

No.

At the end of the day racing is still racing, a car running on lentil soup will still manage to offend the tree huggers one way or another

I couldn't have put it better myself.

:up:

#4 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 16:54

Hi All,

I'm a university student working on my Dissertation based upon the idea of:

Will New Environmentally Positive Developments in the British Touring Car Championship Encourage Existing and Potential Sponsors to Associate themselves with the sport?

Any views or ideas from anyone would be excellent . . .

Hi there,

Interesting subject and quite topical as, despite many still adhering to the unrealistic belief that motorsport should only be loud, gas-guzzling and shooting flames from exhausts, the way forward for the sport is with a greener image.

How to use such a more positive environmental image to a commercial advantage is something that has already begun with existing sponsors like oil companies or tyre manufacturers, where the essence of their motorsport marketing is focussed on saving fuel or less pollution.

Maybe FIA's seminar on sustainable motor sport next month might be of interest to you, sure it's mainly technical but the commercial opportunities of a greener image surely will be addressed.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 17:33

Welcome, I find it interesting you chosen the BTCC personally, being a national level championship I can't imagine many sponsors there are worried about environmental image.

For motorsport in general, yes companies are becoming increasingly environmentally conscious, and a "green" racing series will be of more interest to a wider range of sponsors than most present ones.

#6 cookie2508

cookie2508

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 21:55

It seems that in today's way of life, there is still a lot of hostility towards the impression of 'Racing Green'.

There are several reasons behind my decision to use the BTCC series as a case study, 1. Contact, obviously helpful 2. Although the BTCC is a national series, the idea a few years ago of a greener fuel being ran in a top level series very much seemed to be a massive joke, with several being tried and not really running to the competitiveness of a top level gas guzzling team. This season saw the development of LPG, and yes it was controversial with the other big players, but ultimately it worked, yes Team Aon didn't win the championships, but they won races, they pushed hard and saw the recognition of a successful LPG powered car. Serious money was put into developing the Ford Focus to achieve and surely its more than just a gimmick to see if it could be done. 3. BTCC is a national series, yes. However one of the most successful teams, RML have the huge link in to the world series, so surely developments can be made in a national series which could be replicated in to a world level, ???

#7 Graybearded

Graybearded

• 156 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 22:08

Be prepared to be attacked , called names, and accused of being a troll. That is what happened to be the last time green racing came up on this BB.

#8 cookie2508

cookie2508

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 22:15

I totally appreciate its not everybody's cup of tea, but we've got to be realistic, its happening either way, whether in a very up front way like changing the running fuel of a car to like I've used as an example already, LPG, or in more subtle ways like energy recovery systems, tyre developments, aerodynamics etc to make the existing cars more efficient.

#9 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,793 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:40

I read one survey from JD Power about hybrid vehicles and why people are reluctant to buy them, search for it and motorsport can do a lot to convince them to change their mind.