Photo

Gino Macaluso

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 23:19

Always sad to post news of a nice guy's death. Gino Macaluso, former sometime racing driver, Ferrari enthusiast, car nut, rally car collector and head of Girard-Perregaux watches suffered a fatal heart attack last week, aged only 61. A very impressive man.

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 15:02

Always sad to post news of a nice guy's death. Gino Macaluso, former sometime racing driver, Ferrari enthusiast, car nut, rally car collector and head of Girard-Perregaux watches suffered a fatal heart attack last week, aged only 61. A very impressive man.

DCN

Doug

That is really bad news. Gino was one of nature's gentlemen and with his late friend Count Vittorio Zanon they kept all their cars in a small industrial estate just outside Turin. Gino used to come on our Ecurie Ecosse Tour and not many people know that he was the European Rally Championship winning co-driver with Rafaele Pinto in, I think, 1972 in a factory Fiat 124 Spyder. He was also co-driver to Clay Regazzoni in the spectacular Abarth prepared Fiat X1/9 on the Giro d'Italia and has the car in his collection.

He was at University with Luca de Montezemolo which accounted for the long term link between Girard Perrigaux and Ferrari with a whole range of special watches. I remember spending two days with Gino photographing all his rally cars at the time : he was to buy many more. Every one of them was a works car.
In additon to Girard-Perregaux he was Italian distributor for Brietling.

Motor sport has lost a true Italian gentleman.

#3 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 16:58

Yes sad indeed, much too young. As you say a gentleman. I had first met him through Gughi Zanon, they all had an amazing car collection which they put to good use. He also brought some lovely cars to Goodwood over the years.
And put something back through his business too.

RIP

#4 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 13:57

Not only that, but Gino's wife was Monica, eldest daughter of Rudy Mailander, the great photographer and photojournalist of the 1950s. I've known Monica since she was a toddler and even taught her to drive!

Gino was a true gentleman and a successful entrepreneur. Such men are not easily replaced.