Photo

WDC or WCC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 17:46

What is more profitable for a F1 team? To win WDC or WCC and which championship should a team concentrate on? Of course the best result is WDC and WCC, hopefully with P2 in WDC too.

Anyway, let's have two alternative teams.

Team 1:
WCC is team's priority and they win it. They allow drivers race each other and they use no team orders. That's why they don't win WDC, but finish on P2 and P3 and take more wins than any other team. Also, having no team orders makes good for their brand.

Team 2:
WDC is their priority and they have a clear No1. The No2 is just a mediocre driver who the No1 usually beats. Still, a couple of times No2 is going to finish before No1 and the team uses team orders, which causes controversy and harm to team's image. Anyway, they manage to achive their goal, they win WDC. Still, they hardly finish 2nd in WCC 'coz they have only one good driver.

So which team makes more money, as it is money that matters in F1. Team 1 gets more money from FOM as they won WCC. Still, sponsors are more interested in sponsoring WDC and his team, so in that respect team 2 gets more money from sponsors. Anyway, controversial team orders made no good for team 2's image and team 1 won most races so maybe sponsors aren't more interested in sponsoring team 2.

My opinion is that both those scenarios are almost as profitable. Still, I think that after a tight two-team battle for both titles, the team that wins WDC gets more sponsorship money than WCC team. Anyway, what's your opinion?

Advertisement

#2 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:19

In short - WDC.

#3 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 478 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:24

Ferrari won the 82 and the 83 WCC. But everybody only remembers the 21 year gap since their 79 WDC.

#4 salamin

salamin

• 1,693 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:28

Ferrari won the 82 and the 83 WCC. But everybody only remembers the 21 year gap since their 79 WDC.

but it was worth the wait  ;)

#5 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:52

The driver's championhip is more desirable to a team and carries more marketing opportunity = money

But the WCC means the team get's more money from Bernie

Vanwall won the first construtor's championship in '58 but no one really cares about that

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:58

Drivers championship by far. Just look at 2008, it's not hard to see what Ferrari care about more.

(me laughs to myself at the memory of Lewis getting the championship at the last second  ;) :D )

#7 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:58

Many will say the WCC, but with the right course and so on the WDC can be even more profitable. If you look at marketing for example not many will know who won the WCC, they only remember the driver who won and the team he drove for. So in that perspective the WDC is a better investment. So the WCC gives you clear money, but the WDC gives you the popularity and status to attract even more money. It's different for every team.

#8 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 18:59

This sums it up well.

#9 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 19:04

Well go through the last 20 years and name the WDC
Then do the same for WCC
See which one takes longer...

#10 PompousJester

PompousJester

• 189 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 19:08

yep, it must be wdc.

#11 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 19:28

If the champ switches to another team then the team with which he won WDC, loses partly that WDC advantage. Of course people remember WDC was won with that car, but still the man who did it doesn't drive anymore for them. Anyway, if WCC team wins 11 races compared to WDC teams 6, which team attracts more sponsors. Every GP victory gives much exposure to the winning team. The champ and his team get much exposure once the title is secured and after the season, but once the new season is kicked off, it takes a few races and the team that takes most wins is the most followed team (after Ferrari).

Anyway, in the long run it's obvious that WDCs make the team legendary. People remember the great drivers and associate them with teams. Anyway if we think about the following two years, which title brings more money?

#12 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 20:02

What is more profitable for a F1 team?

It all depends of whom you are within or around the team.

If you are a driver it's simple unless you're the 2nd driver then WCC is more important/profitable. If you are the team's accountant then WCC might be more attractive where the marketing boys might prefer a WDC unless their WDC-winner is off to another team for the next season.

If you are the engine supplier (like Renault at Red Bull) WCC is of course the one to have.
Really can't say which one is more profitable, it all depends on the team and the situation they are in.

#13 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 22:41

WDC - it is as clear as crystal, if it would be the other way, there would be no Felipe in Ferrari, no Heikki in McLaren, no Fisi in Renault, and there wouldn't exist such term like "team-orders"

#14 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:36

The WDC = A marketing dream, especially for a team like Red Bull who are only really in it to sell cans of drink.

#15 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:44

I disagree. DM appears on all counts to be a genuine fan of motorsport. He's sold enough drinks already.

#16 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:04

I disagree. DM appears on all counts to be a genuine fan of motorsport. He's sold enough drinks already.

I don't doubt he's a motorsport fan, but i don't think he'll ever believe he's sold enough cans of Red Bull. RBR is not his toy, it's a marketing tool imho.

Edited by DILLIGAF, 03 November 2010 - 02:05.

#17 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:43

If I'm one of the thousands on the *team*, the WCC.
Surely I'd like to have both, but if I'm pitcrew, shock tuner,valve grinder or in he carbon fiber shop, I'd want both cars scoring, consistently.
Money, meh, I'm a grunt.
The trophy?
yup, that's *ours*

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 03 November 2010 - 02:44.