Photo

Van der Garde to Virgin

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:10

It is being reported that Giedo van der Garde will sign a contract this weekend to drive alongside Timo Glock at Virgin Racing.

Will we really get a dutch racing driver again? :D

Advertisement

#2 Collective

Collective

• 1,110 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:16

The way he was obliterated by Perez, I thought he'd stay at GP2, but it's probably better for him to get the experience in a dog of a car hoping for a good future.

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,763 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:31

D'Ambrosio's also being "reported". I'd take him over VDG...

Though with VDG you never know, he seems very poor in some cars but very good in others.

#4 Anja

Anja

• 536 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:33

VDG apparently gathered more money from sponsors than Jerome.

Edited by Anja, 04 November 2010 - 15:42.

#5 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 15:43

A Belgian newspaper La Libre reported that D'Ambrosio has given-up on the Virgin seat and that van der Garde will sign asap.

Allegedly van der Garde has double the budget of D'Ambrosio, it probably did help that Guido's father in law is worth a cool €1,1 billion.

#6 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 16:22

1st see, then believe...

#7 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 16:34

If so, there is one less seat in auction.

#8 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 17:05

2 days ago, they were annoucing my countryman d'Ambrosio to still only need $ 2 Mio ???
This would pi** me off !

Edited by nomeg1, 04 November 2010 - 17:06.

#9 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 17:39

Van der Garde seems to be also still in talks with Lotus and Force India......

#10 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:07

Let's be honest- D'Ambrosio has shown little to nothing to say that he warrants a seat in F1, particularly over Di Grassi. Van der Garde has more to show for his lower category career at least, though honestly I wouldn't take either one of them. But D'Ambrosio has done little to argue for his seat, even if he's done fine in the Friday testing.

Honestly, though, if I were them I'd be trying to find a way to keep their current pair and find money elsewhere (unless one or both drivers want to leave).

#11 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:14

Let's be honest- D'Ambrosio has shown little to nothing to say that he warrants a seat in F1, particularly over Di Grassi. Van der Garde has more to show for his lower category career at least, though honestly I wouldn't take either one of them. But D'Ambrosio has done little to argue for his seat, even if he's done fine in the Friday testing.

Honestly, though, if I were them I'd be trying to find a way to keep their current pair and find money elsewhere (unless one or both drivers want to leave).

You have to admit that Jerome did pretty well in Singapore.
ESPN.fr is relating the fact that Di Grassi would not be a Virgin pilot anymore only on money issues. I think it's to deplore...

#12 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:21

Makes sense, since Mcgregor is leaving Williams to Virgin, and McGregor has been sponsoring Giedo for a long time.

#13 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:27

ESPN.fr is relating the fact that Di Grassi would not be a Virgin pilot anymore only on money issues. I think it's to deplore...

When interviewed yesterday, I guess, di Grassi said that the team was satisfied with his work and the only reason for looking for another driver was money.
He is trying to find sponsors for next year but this task has being really difficult for him.

Makes sense, since Mcgregor is leaving Williams to Virgin, and McGregor has been sponsoring Giedo for a long time.

Is McGregor realliy going to Virgin?
I know that they're leaving Williams, but were there any confirmation that they have already signed with Virgin?
If they have, it'll be Van der Garde alongside Glock.

Edited by highdownforce, 04 November 2010 - 18:31.

#14 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:31

http://www.giedovand...amp;article=804

Reaction on Giedo's website, is denial of Van der Garde has signed with Virgin and saying they're talking to more then 1 F1 team.

#15 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:35

http://www.giedovand...amp;article=804

Reaction on Giedo's website, is denial of Van der Garde has signed with Virgin and saying they're talking to more then 1 F1 team.

Thanks!

#16 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:37

You have to admit that Jerome did pretty well in Singapore.

Its a shame it comes down to drivers with money though

#17 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:39

As long as we get to see Van der Garde in F1, I don't mind who he drives for, although Force India would by my first choice.

#18 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:41

D'Ambrosio was International Formula Master Champion in 2007 (could be compared as GP3) and Belgian F.Renault Champion in 2003, he also was 2nd in the one of the 2008 GP2 Asia series!
http://forix.com/dri...&...5122700&c=0

Van Der Garde was F.Renault 3.5 (World Series by Renault) Champion in 2008 & was 2nd in F3 Masters, he only won 2 more races then D'Ambrosio in GP2.
http://forix.com/dri...&...amp;s=0&b=0

I had to choose that would be a difficult choise as they have a CV that's in balance...

Euhm... and the Castrol Rankings give Van der Garde the Advantage over the past 12 months.

#19 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:53

When interviewed yesterday, I guess, di Grassi said that the team was satisfied with his work and the only reason for looking for another driver was money.
He is trying to find sponsors for next year but this task has being really difficult for him.
Is McGregor realliy going to Virgin?
I know that they're leaving Williams, but were there any confirmation that they have already signed with Virgin?
If they have, it'll be Van der Garde alongside Glock.

I read that Guido's father is one of the biggest stock holder of McGregor, and his father-in-law one of the big boss. Or vice-versa...?
This means, I suppose, that McGregor will be the sponsor of the team where he lands...

Advertisement

#20 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,678 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 19:14

This means, I suppose, that McGregor will be the sponsor of the team where he lands...

Exactly, that's why I've asked about it.

#21 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 19:16

I first thought this was a typo... or a joke. And it is so funny to read for me. (My name is...)

#22 Lights

Lights

• 9,654 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:00

What a joke. But well, let him have it. Doubt he will last a season.

#23 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:13

I don't find a particularly big difference between all 3 drivers. All shined 1 year and then had a low key year, some very inconsistent performances. D'Ambrosio may have excuses because of DAMS & his under funded career before, but Giedo and Lucas don't.
Also I believe Lucas brings $$$ to Virgin as well, Clear shampoo ;)

#24 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 20:22

Van der Garde seems to be also still in talks with Lotus and Force India......

You might be right Frans, this is not so much a case of van der Garde signing for Virgin but it is D'Ambrosio explaining that he doesn't have the budget to race in 2011.

If Giedo has a healthy budget (and from the looks of things he does) he'd do wise to hold on and see if he can land a better seat for that money. Maybe a Force India seat costs a few million more but it might be worth it also don't forget that Michiel Mol still owns a substantial part of FI.

#25 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:23

If Giedo has a healthy budget (and from the looks of things he does) he'd do wise to hold on and see if he can land a better seat for that money. Maybe a Force India seat costs a few million more but it might be worth it also don't forget that Michiel Mol still owns a substantial part of FI.

If we must have pay drivers then so be it. If you want to pay a few million to pootle round at the back in a Virgin or Lotus rather than earn your place via GP2 that's one thing, but keep your hands off the half decent seats like Force India :mad:

#26 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:34

Couple of seasons in GP2 = 2x2mln EU.
Exposure = 1% of F1.
If you have a backer who's going to give you the budget for GP2, it gets more likely that you'll convince him to put 2-3 mil more and get an F1 seat.
Btw, talking of Virgin. Their tester Luiz Razia, who's also not short of $$$, recently did some Super Aguri(Honda chassis) testing in preparation for F1 ;)

#27 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:35

If we must have pay drivers then so be it. If you want to pay a few million to pootle round at the back in a Virgin or Lotus rather than earn your place via GP2 that's one thing, but keep your hands off the half decent seats like Force India :mad:

Why is it really that much of a difference to see Liuzzi or van der Garde drive that Force India around?

#28 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:37

vd. Garde might just be a decent F1 driver, who knows. Kobayashi wasn't really fast in GP2 either. It'll be interesting, and good for the Netherlands if it goes through, but first see, then believe. So many rumours and driver managers saying it's ALMOST done deal, to get more sponsors.

#29 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,306 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:38

Why is it really that much of a difference to see Liuzzi or van der Garde drive that Force India around?

The Force India is now a solid midfield runner, competing with Williams.

#30 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 21:40

The Force India is now a solid midfield runner, competing with Williams.

So what, does it really make that much of a difference if Liuzzi or van der Garde is driving that car?

#31 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,958 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:03

Quick comparision:
Maldonaldo - GP2 champion, 10 wins at this level
Liuzzi - F3000 champion, 7 wins
Kobayashi - GP2 Asia Champion, 5 wins
Petrov - 5 wins (Best main championship position, 2nd)
Van der Garde - 3 wins (7th)
Razia - 2 wins (12th)
D'Ambrosio - 1 win (9th but 2nd in Asia)

D'Ambrosio and van der Garde ain't rubbish, they're obviously not in the Yamamoto class, but when the likes of Petrov and Maldonaldo are seriously talked about as 'pay drivers', I don't think anyone can say they've done enough to make F1 on talent and achievements yet.

#32 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:28

D'Ambrosio and van der Garde ain't rubbish, they're obviously not in the Yamamoto class, but when the likes of Petrov and Maldonaldo are seriously talked about as 'pay drivers', I don't think anyone can say they've done enough to make F1 on talent and achievements yet.

LOL Maldonado, he's making GP2 into something like a career isn't he. :lol:

Anyway I'm not much of a Giedo van der Garde fan but really will it make that much of a difference him or Liuzzi in that Force India?

#33 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,793 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:32

LOL Maldonado, he's making GP2 into something like a career isn't he. :lol:

Interestingly, Maldonado holds the records for the highest number of wins and fastest laps in the main GP2 Series. He's sixth in the pole position standings and total race entries, and third in both podium finishes and total points scored (behind Pantano and Di Grassi in both cases).

#34 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,306 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:34

So what, does it really make that much of a difference if Liuzzi or van der Garde is driving that car?

Which is why Luizzi really should be out as well.

#35 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 22:49

Interestingly, Maldonado holds the records for the highest number of wins and fastest laps in the main GP2 Series. He's sixth in the pole position standings and total race entries, and third in both podium finishes and total points scored (behind Pantano and Di Grassi in both cases).

Well with 4 years of GP2 you get to set some records don't you. Still I hope (and think) Maldonado will find a place in 2011, he has the sponsor to make that happen.

Which is why Luizzi really should be out as well.

Why because then some unknown talent will drive that Force India to podium positions? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's time for you to get some realism going, Force India (and most teams currently placed below FI) need to make ends meet and one way of doing that is running drivers with healthy budgets. Enter Maldonado, van der Garde etcetera..........

#36 Les

Les

• 2,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:04

Well I feel Di Resta would be more deserving of the Force India drive but money talks sadly, I know if I was a team leader or owner of a struggling team it would mean balancing between a (possible) quality driver and a paying one. The wad of cash would be difficult to turn down and its nothing new as Tyrell once dropped Alboreto as he was sponsored by a different cigarette brand than they were. The fact that Sutil is likely to be the perceived 'quality' driver at Force India next season says a lot about his career not progressing beyond the same team.

#37 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:27

It is being reported that Giedo van der Garde will sign a contract this weekend to drive alongside Timo Glock at Virgin Racing.

It's also been reported that Jerome d'Ambrosio will sign with them.

#38 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 23:37

We can't know that until we've seen it

#39 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 00:05

Van der Garde is certainly not a bad driver, this was a former world champion karting and he did win the World Series title but up until his succes in the World Series he was very disspointing, in F3 he was simply not competitive, his results in GP2 are not good enough to deserve a seat in my opinion because he was totally trashed by his team mate Perez and it is never good for a driver too be dominated by a team mate like van der Garde was this year.

d'Ambrosio is another story, he was always struggling for money until Gravity (Genii) started investing in his carreer after he won the Formula Masters title and this gave him that seat at DAMS.

But when you compare the two than one must realize that van der Garde has always had the best equipment in virtually every series he drove and also in GP2 he was driving for one of the top teams, Perez results underline this. I was already woried when van der Garde has difficulties with keeping Diego Nunes, a driver that imho is not as talented as Guido, behind him but against Perez Guido was simply outclassed. He only delivered in the World Series but that is a series that is not as competitive as GP2. Like Albers, Guido also gives the impression of a spoiled kid with a lot of money from his family. His father-in-law (who is the director of McGregor, a clothes manufacturer) bought himself in to Spyker management when they were in F1 to give Guido a test seat there; McGregor also became a Spyker sponsor and stayed sponsoring Guido in GP2 and Spyker in sportscars after that. Sure, Guido is a fast driver but he's always had this reputation of a young driver with a huge amount of money to buy the best seats.

It's a pitty that some other Dutch drivers like Carlo van Dam (never got a chance in GP2 but German and Japanese F3 champion) and Yelmer Buurman (got sacked by Arden halfway through the season, should have at least have gotten the chance to complete that season) never got a chance to show what they can do in GP2. Especially Carlo van Dam was a driver that I rated very highly.

d'Ambrosio on the other hand never had the chance to drive for one of the best teams in his carreer. At DAMS he had the financial backing of Gravity but a mediocre team that often made big mistakes and he was haunted by technical problems. This year alone he lost a 2nd place in Hungary and a win in Belgium due to technical problems. Also remarkable is that when Ambrosio tested for other teams during past winters (for Racing Engineering for example) is that he was significantly faster than with his DAMS car, suggesting that there was something lacking with DAMS. But what's more important when you analyze d'Ambrosio's performance is that he always dominated his team mates in every series. He outclassed and outscored the now hyped Kamui Kobayashi, completely trashed Ho-Pin Tung (okay, not a serious comparison) and more imporant is that he also managed to keep the highly rated Romain Grosjean behind him. In a class like GP2 it is very important to drive for one of the top teams and if you drive for a midfield team then it's even more important to beat your team mate and that's exactly what he did.

I would pick d'Ambrosio over van der Garde anytime, I'm convinced that he is more talented and a more complete driver as van der Garde. Guido has a lot of raw speed and he's an agressive driver, d'Ambrosio is more technical and more a Button, Boutsen or Prost style driver, relying more on finding the ideal set-up. His style is much more suitable for F1 than for GP2 exactly because he relies on his technical knowledge in setting up a car, at least this is what I've heard Thierry Boutsen say in an interview, Boutsen claims that d'Ambrosio driving style is a copy of his style. During his friday tests for Virgin d'Ambrosio was immediately on the pace, during his first test he virtually matched Glock's times (2 tenths difference if I remember correctly but on a very long track that he didn't know, Singapore). It's a fact that his times on Friday were closer to Glock as di Grassi has been during the whole year, which suggests that di Grassi is not doing that great.

In my opinion a very talented driver can switch to a new discipline immediately adapt. In the past we have seen F3000 or GP2 drivers who were very succesful struggling a lot during their first F1 tests which means they have difficulties to adapt to a new situation. Van der Garde was very slow, seconds too slow even, when he first tested for Super Aguri and Spyker in F1. d'Ambrosio was immediately within tenths of an established driver like Glock and exactly for this reason alone I would pick him over van der Garde anyday. Because he adapted so fast. If you put both Guido and Jerôme in the same F1 car in the same condition, I'm sure Jerôme would easily come out as the better driver.

Back in 1989 when there were 39 cars I would have said: both have to be in F1 but now with less cars I really hope d'Ambrosio gets that car because van der Garde simply does not deserve it at this point because he was trashed by his team mate.

Edited by William Hunt, 05 November 2010 - 00:19.

Advertisement

#40 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:35

I expect no real decision on this untill a week or so after the last race this season...

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,572 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:37

Thank you for that exclusive insight.

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,763 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:45

Yeah strictly looking at the results you'd have to tip VDG for his World Series championship which is pretty good, but if we're going to consider how they did against team-mates, D'Ambrosio seems more talented.

Unfortunately it'll most likely come down to money above everything else. They've already got a solid driver in Glock and for a backmarker team the priorities are different. Notice things aren't looking very good for them, with Lotus announcing Renault engines and Red Bull tech, HRT announcing Williams tech (although only god knows what are their plans regarding the rest of the car), Virgin risk being left behind with their blind faith on CFD...

#43 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:04

Notice things aren't looking very good for them, with Lotus announcing Renault engines and Red Bull tech, HRT announcing Williams tech (although only god knows what are their plans regarding the rest of the car), Virgin risk being left behind with their blind faith on CFD...

You think it's some massive coincidence that Virgin are running Jerome d'Ambrosio as a third drive, a guy who has inherent connections to Renault? Of all the drivers they could have had - Perez, Maldonado, Bianchi; whoever - they take the one guy from the Renault Junior Team, the one guy who is managed by the guy who runs Renault F1. Lotus might be able to get a technical partnership based on their results, but Virgin have had a rough season so they're going to have to be a little sneakier about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Virgin have their eyes on being Renault's fourth and final customer team. If they pick up d'Ambrosio for 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if a Renault engine deal comes with it. Eric Boullier and Jan Paul ten Hooper might both be confident of getting their drivers into that final seat, but there can only be one and no manager in his right mind is going to admit that his driver doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell of getting into the sport.

And while Virgin might be relying entirely on CFD, they're proven it's possible to build a car that can keep up with everyone else (in this case, the other new teams). The big concern was that the software would not be sophisticated enough to maange it, or that Virgin would simply create a car that only produced drag. But they haven't done that. They've kept up with Lotus, and occasionally out-qualify them. Hell, Timo Glock finished within sigh of both Lotuses at Silverstone (Webber got him, but not Trulli or Kovalainen, on the last lap). With time, I expect them to be able to maintain the same pace. And if they do screw up, they can rebuild faster than they normally might.

Also, I suspect Hispania's Williams deal is because Hispania intend to keep using Cosworth, but Virgin do not.

#44 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:24

You think it's some massive coincidence that Virgin are running Jerome d'Ambrosio as a third drive, a guy who has inherent connections to Renault? Of all the drivers they could have had - Perez, Maldonado, Bianchi; whoever - they take the one guy from the Renault Junior Team, the one guy who is managed by the guy who runs Renault F1. Lotus might be able to get a technical partnership based on their results, but Virgin have had a rough season so they're going to have to be a little sneakier about it. I wouldn't be surprised if Virgin have their eyes on being Renault's fourth and final customer team. If they pick up d'Ambrosio for 2011, I wouldn't be surprised if a Renault engine deal comes with it. Eric Boullier and Jan Paul ten Hooper might both be confident of getting their drivers into that final seat, but there can only be one and no manager in his right mind is going to admit that his driver doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell of getting into the sport.

And while Virgin might be relying entirely on CFD, they're proven it's possible to build a car that can keep up with everyone else (in this case, the other new teams). The big concern was that the software would not be sophisticated enough to maange it, or that Virgin would simply create a car that only produced drag. But they haven't done that. They've kept up with Lotus, and occasionally out-qualify them. Hell, Timo Glock finished within sigh of both Lotuses at Silverstone (Webber got him, but not Trulli or Kovalainen, on the last lap). With time, I expect them to be able to maintain the same pace. And if they do screw up, they can rebuild faster than they normally might.

Also, I suspect Hispania's Williams deal is because Hispania intend to keep using Cosworth, but Virgin do not.

Fail.

D'Ambrosio is managed by Gravity, like Ho-Pin Tung, etc, but the RDD is not the same thing as it used to be. The drivers are not connected with Renault so much as they are with Gravity, who happens to run Renault. That's why the dropped all previous RDD drivers for 2010 and took some curious choices (all of whom have money). To say, though, that he has some inherent connection to Renault itself is missing the point entirely.

Virgin aren't switching to Renault engines, or any sort of technical partnership. D'Ambrosio has money- that's it.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:38

D'Ambrosio is managed by Gravity, like Ho-Pin Tung, etc, but the RDD is not the same thing as it used to be. The drivers are not connected with Renault so much as they are with Gravity, who happens to run Renault. That's why the dropped all previous RDD drivers for 2010 and took some curious choices (all of whom have money). To say, though, that he has some inherent connection to Renault itself is missing the point entirely.

Virgin aren't switching to Renault engines, or any sort of technical partnership. D'Ambrosio has money- that's it.

Fail.

Virgin could have Pastor Maldonado if they wanted him. He does, after all, come armed with $15 million from PDVSA. Yet of all the drivers out there, they're looking at d'Ambrosio. Whether directly connected to Renault or indirectly (though Gravity), he still has a connection to the team and the engine supplier. So show me one reference that says Virgin have completely ruled out using Renault engines in the future.

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,572 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:45

Ever think Maldonado didn't want Virgin?

Show me us one reference that Virgin are more than above average likely to go with Renault. Afterall they've had di Grassi this year, and he was a genuine Renault fella.

#47 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:48

Ever think Maldonado didn't want Virgin?

Beggars can't be choosers. With a limited number of seats available and so many drivers wanting them, Maldonado can't exactly afford to turn his nose up at any of them. That's what Nick Heidfeld did this year, and look how that ended for him.

Show me us one reference that Virgin are more than above average likely to go with Renault. Afterall they've had di Grassi this year, and he was a genuine Renault fella.

I never said they would. I said they might. CWeil is the one who was dealing in absolutes here when he said "Virgin aren't switching to Renault engines, or any sort of technical partnership." Statements like that usually demand justification. All I'm doing is specualting, not trying to let on that I know more than I actually do.

#48 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,535 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 13:52

Fail.

Virgin could have Pastor Maldonado if they wanted him. He does, after all, come armed with $15 million from PDVSA. Yet of all the drivers out there, they're looking at d'Ambrosio. Whether directly connected to Renault or indirectly (though Gravity), he still has a connection to the team and the engine supplier. So show me one reference that says Virgin have completely ruled out using Renault engines in the future.

Maldonado is linked with Williams. Perez is already signed for Sauber. Bianchi is a Ferrari development driver, and the team will no doubt want him to stay in GP2 another year.

Sorry, but I dont think Virgin has(or had) any grasp on any of these guys.

#49 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 18:47

Fail.

Clever.

Maldonado has his sights set higher, and with that kind of money, he should. Virgin don't need $15m to give someone a seat, so that money would be a huge waste. It would also be a very poor career move when he has the leverage to give himself a better boost. D'Ambrosio doesn't have much leverage, either in results or money comparatively, so...Virgin it is. Maybe.

Just because a driver is managed by a company running a team with a specific engine supplier does not mean that that driver has direct connections with the engine supplier. You wouldn't say that Hulkenberg is a "Cosworth" driver. Renault isn't really Renault anymore, and likewise with the RDD. It's really just Gravity Management now.

Renault already released the names of the teams that they are supplying. And they are apparently intending on only being an engine supplier, so that rules out even further "Renault connections". Virgin aren't going to have Renault engines, and it certainly wouldn't be because of D'Ambrosio.

Speculation is really just mindless speculation if it is based upon an faulty assumption.

Edited by CWeil, 05 November 2010 - 18:48.

#50 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,390 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 19:48

Virgin don't need $15m to give someone a seat, so that money would be a huge waste.

Well that $15m figure that you mention there is the amount that is circulating that Van der Garde would have at his disposal. No wonder several teams are talking to him. If I was running an F1 team on a very tight budget I would probably be talking to any decent GP2 driver with that kind of budget, that's normal.

And it's not impossible that Maldonado could still end up at Virgin, there are rumours that he already signed with Williams but nothing is officially confirmed, if that deal falls through I don't see why Maldonado won't be talking to Virgin. And if Virgin is really looking for many there may be other options opening up: Esteban Guerriere, Mikhail Aleshin or maybe another driver from GP2 will suddenly pop-up with a big checque.

Edited by William Hunt, 05 November 2010 - 19:53.