Photo

Hamilton & Alonso teammates again?

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#1 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:47

Interesting comments from Lewis about the poosibility of teaming up with Alonso again at Ferrari.

Do you think it's a realistic possibility after 2007?

As an Alonso/Ferrari fan i think it would be great. Lewis has impressed me with his maturity & comments this year, i'm actually warming to him. :eek:

Meanwhile, Hamilton has not ruled out working alongside Alonso at Ferrari, even though the pair had a difficult relationship at McLaren in 2007, when the Spaniard was unsettled by the rookie brilliance of his team-mate.

Hamilton said: "I think we are so much stronger now to be able to deal with it. I have no problems having him as a team-mate. I am happy with the way I have things now. It's fantastic but I don't think it's impossible for us."

Hamilton is happy at McLaren. But that will only remain the case as long as the team continues to produce a competitive car. McLaren have won just three drivers' world championships in the two decades since the late Ayrton Senna's last title in 1991. Ferrari have picked up six in that time.

The chances of Hamilton and Alonso working alongside each other at Ferrari are still remote because Alonso runs the show at the Scuderia. He sees himself as the No1 driver in any team he drives for, and that is certainly the case now, as Felipe Massa takes a subservient role.

Hamilton added: "I wouldn't be the Massa side of the team and I wouldn't expect him to be the Massa side of the team either. I would want us to be equal as they are here [at McLaren]. At the end of the day Fernando has proved that he is one of the best drivers here. You say that we are all great drivers but he is one of the top, top drivers. One of the best.

"You are going to be very hard put to put someone next to him and find they beat him through raw talent. He definitely deserves it [a third world title]. He has come a long way. He drives for a great team and has achieved an incredible amount so you have to give him his dues."

Source: http://www.guardian....prix-qualifying

Advertisement

#2 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:48

Interesting comments from Lewis about the poosibility of teaming up with Alonso again at Ferrari.

As an Alonso/Ferrari fan i think it would be great. Lewis has impressed me with his maturity & comments this year, i'm actually warming to him. :eek:

Lewis wants to drive for Ferrari??? :confused:

#3 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:51

I think its possible they can be team mates again. Hamilton was immature in 2007, Alonso was immature as well. Both will have learnt from that experience fo sho. It wouldn't be the Jenson-Lewis love affair like it is this year but I can't see it exploding again.

#4 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:57

No chance of this happening, Alonso has proved he can't handle a competitive team mate, he is just lucky Massa is not the same driver anymore.

#5 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:01

Denis and Whitmarsh would get a heart attack

Edited by korzeniow, 07 November 2010 - 10:02.

#6 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:03

No chance of this happening, Alonso has proved he can't handle a competitive team mate, he is just lucky Massa is not the same driver anymore.

Yeah right. Massa was beaten by all his teammates in F1 until Raikkonen came along. Raikkonen was the exception, not the rule. Alonso is merely continuing where Schumacher (and even Fisichella, for goodness' sake) left off. Just Raikkonen's desperate fans always need to come along looking for excuses...Massa is no slower than he was before the accident (his very first laps back in the Ferrari last year are evidence of that...)

#7 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,605 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:07

So it's no longer "a number 2 driver" it's "the Massa side of the team". Ouch, Felipe.

#8 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:08

Yeah right. Massa was beaten by all his teammates in F1 until Raikkonen came along. Raikkonen was the exception, not the rule. Alonso is merely continuing where Schumacher (and even Fisichella, for goodness' sake) left off. Just Raikkonen's desperate fans always need to come along looking for excuses...Massa is no slower than he was before the accident (his very first laps back in the Ferrari last year are evidence of that...)

I'm not a Kimi fan.

#9 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:09

Yeah, if Alonso could mature as well.

#10 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:09

ok

#11 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:10

He's always been this way, but has had stupid, dishonest detractors smearing him and putting words in his mouth. You are just seeing the real Hamilton now that's always been there.

This is interesting. http://www.mirror.co...15875-22698346/ if it's true.

"When he comes to Zurich he texts me every now and then to meet up."

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:15

I think Hamilton/Alonso could work, largely because the problem in 2007 was that neither driver respected one another. But until such time as Alonso speaks of Hamilton in the same way Hamilton speaks of him, I think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. Hell, even if they do become actual friends like Barrichello and Massa, it's probably better to avoid re-opening old wounds.

#13 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:21

It would be interesting to see Hamilton as Alonso teammate in a completely different team to McLaren and without the shadow of Ron Dennis and his father. I would love see it but I higly doubt it. I can't see Hamilton and Alonso in the same team again, but you never know...

I just feel Kubica will go to Ferrari in 2012 or 2013 and will partner Alonso, then when Alonso decides to retire, Ferrari will replace him with Vettel in 2016.

#14 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:25

It would be interesting to see Hamilton as Alonso teammate in a completely different team to McLaren and without the shadow of Ron Dennis and his father. I would love see it but I higly doubt it. I can't see Hamilton and Alonso in the same team again, but you never know...

I just feel Kubica will go to Ferrari in 2012 or 2013 and will partner Alonso, then when Alonso decides to retire, Ferrari will replace him with Vettel in 2016.

I doubt it. I doubt Alonso will want a very competitive teammate such as Kubica, Hamilton or Vettel. I think they are happy with Massa, like Renault were happy with Piquet.

#15 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:27

I doubt it. I doubt Alonso will want a very competitive teammate such as Kubica, Hamilton or Vettel. I think they are happy with Massa, like Renault were happy with Piquet.

I guess time will tell :)

#16 RiDE

RiDE

• 1,027 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:32

I very much doubt Renault was happy with Piquet... even before crashgate.

#17 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:32

They weren't happy with Piquet. Afterall they fired him midseason, didn't they

#18 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:34

They weren't happy with Piquet. Afterall they fired him midseason, didn't they

But they kept him on for another season after a woeful one.

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:34

Webber would be Alonso's perfect Partner.

Friends.
Both managed by Flav.
He's an Austrailian Irvine.
And 'WHEN' Alonso blows him away it sends a message to Vettel who's struggled against Webber.

Advertisement

#20 TigersWood

TigersWood

• 132 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:38

Is this a joke?

Do you think Alonso is going to allow Hamilton in his team AGAIN?
Do you think Ferrai wants to repeat the horrendous results of 2007?

I thought Hamilton didn't want Alonso in his team, he said that in 2007. But I understand him, It is easy to miss the best :wave:

#21 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:39

It would be fantastic but Fernando would have to be mad, and he's not.

He's even on record saying he's not the fastest but succeeds by bringing his A game to every weekend, so he's not gonna team up with the guy who probably is the fastest.

The only way it would happen is if Ferrari insisted, for some reason like wanting an insane amount of publicity.

And since they barely let the BBC in the garage and have that blatantly unpleasant guy Colajanni as their PR head I doubt that would be enough of a reason.

#22 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:40

Don't see the chain between article and title

#23 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:43

Could happen but who knows.

McLaren definitely got publicity in 2007. despite losing titles, and publicity sells.

Depends on couple of things...
1. Does Ferrari want that or are they gonna try with strong #1 and good #2?
2. Does Hamilton want to leave McLaren?

I'd be happy to see them together in team, and have a repeat of 2007. season, that was bloody exciting :)

#24 nawz

nawz

• 474 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:43

Don't see the chain between article and title

#25 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:45

So it's no longer "a number 2 driver" it's "the Massa side of the team". Ouch, Felipe.

Yeah, i noticed that. A tad harsh but true.

#26 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:46

Webber would be Alonso's perfect Partner.

Friends.
Both managed by Flav.
He's an Austrailian Irvine.
And 'WHEN' Alonso blows him away it sends a message to Vettel who's struggled against Webber.

Agreed. Webber would work very good with Alonso especially because they get along very well.

Of course, the same could be said about Kubica and even Trulli too.

#27 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:47

This is interesting. http://www.mirror.co...15875-22698346/ if it's true.

"When he comes to Zurich he texts me every now and then to meet up."
:lol:

I think the scriptwriters at Mclaren had a little bit too much Caipirinha to drink. Do they think anybody is going to believe that?

#28 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:50

Alonso would not want that. He knows he got beaten in 2007 and Hamilton has only improved from there on and would be even harder to handle now.
Alonso would be stupid to want to team up with Hamilton, instead of a guy who suffered a brain injury and is far from the driver he once was.

#29 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:54

I don't think it's gonna happen, atleast not at Ferrari. I don't think Ferrari have any interest in Hamilton at the moment. Lewis just answered some questions there is no reason at all to think they could or want to be teammates. I also can't see Hamilton leaving Mclaren. Hamilton was just stating the obvious nothing more, what else should he say, we hate eachother and will never be teammates again?

And what's up with 'the Massa side of the team'? Oh Lewis what a crappy way of saying it.. You are going to be the 'Massa side of the team if you don't beat your teammate in the first half of the season, as simple as that.

Also "You are going to be very hard put to put someone next to him and find they beat him through raw talent. Exactly Lewis, there you said it.

'You say that we are all great drivers but he is one of the top, top drivers. One of the best' I wanna know who he thinks is one of the best also, himself?

"When he comes to Zurich he texts me every now and then to meet up." Seems like Fernando hasn't got anything against Lewis, as many might think. Funny thing to say, but I don't think it's made up at all. Fernando is very 'subtle' in the the things he does :p

Edited by Smile17, 07 November 2010 - 10:56.

#30 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:57

It's interesting that as soon this comes up, it's largely the Hamilton fans and/or Alonso detractors claiming it won't happen, whereas a large part of the Alonso supporters would look forward to it.

#31 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:57

If it ever happens it will be like in 2007. Fans of defeated driver will go on conspiracy rampage which will last for years :)

#32 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:59

It's interesting that as soon this comes up, it's largely the Hamilton fans and/or Alonso detractors claiming it won't happen, whereas a large part of the Alonso supporters would look forward to it.

This is completely not true, and from this thread at least I don't see Alonso supporters looking forward to it. But as Hamilton fan I would look forward to it.

#33 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:00

Alonso would not want that. He knows he got beaten in 2007 and Hamilton has only improved from there on and would be even harder to handle now.
Alonso would be stupid to want to team up with Hamilton, instead of a guy who suffered a brain injury and is far from the driver he once was.

Yeah I agree! No way that we will se these two together again! Yeah, nice way to add fuel to fire Guardian :rolleyes:

#34 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:02

This proves nothing, but keep trying.

#35 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:03

Agreed. Webber would work very good with Alonso especially because they get along very well...

Not sure about that. It's a bit like the saying 'never lend money to friends' - they may be friends now but that doesn't mean they wouldn't fall out.

#36 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:08

You could argue that Alonso is also a better driver than he was in 2007.

I sincerely think his experience at Mclaren in 2007 and his experience with a midfield team in 2008 and 2009 made him a better driver and a more mature person than he ever was...What I say is something that Fernando even admits it in his interviews!

#37 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:10

Agreed :up:

If it ever happens it will be like in 2007. Fans of defeated driver will go on conspiracy rampage which will last for years :)

Maybe that's what you will do...

This is completely not true, and from this thread at least I don't see Alonso supporters looking forward to it. But as Hamilton fan I would look forward to it.

Why wouldn't they look forward to it? Afraid of Hamilton and his fans crying out loud?

Yeah I agree! No way that we will se these two together again! Yeah, nice way to add fuel to fire Guardian :rolleyes:

We will never see these two together managed by uncle Dennis you mean..

#38 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:12

Not sure about that. It's a bit like the saying 'never lend money to friends' - they may be friends now but that doesn't mean they wouldn't fall out.

Very true.

#39 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:12

Also they are leading drivers in their teams, they are happy where they are, they have everything, both of them! So this "story" or should I say "wish" is pure BS!

Hamilton at McLaren vs Alonso in Ferrari, it's written in the stars! They will lead their teams to victories and championships just like the great rivalry between Schumacher and Hakkinen, and they were very good friends but never in the same team!  ;)

Advertisement

#40 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:13

You could argue that Alonso is also a better driver than he was in 2007.

I sincerely think his experience at Mclaren in 2007 and his experience with a midfield team in 2008 and 2009 made him a better driver and a more mature person than he ever was...What I say is something that Fernando even admits it in his interviews!

Surley you agree that for Hamilton since 2007 (when he was a rookie) there was far more development room, than for someone with the amount of experience like Alonso had?

#41 pRy

pRy

• 26,351 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:14

I don't think the problem at McLaren was ever Alonso - Hamilton but Alonso - Ron Dennis.

#42 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:16

:lol:
Nice try...

#43 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:18

I don't think the problem at McLaren was ever Alonso - Hamilton but Alonso - Ron Dennis.

The problem was that Hamilton was so quick that it unsettled Alonso, who was expecting to be treated like a princess. When Hamilton started kicking his ass, he threw his toys out and started crying about everything.

#44 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:18

I've always thought it was a shame that their partnership ended after only one year as we got robbed of what could have been an epic 'dueling' era between the two.

I'd like to see it happen again. In a way, I dont want the drama to be brought over to Ferrari, but I wouldn't complain at all, because it would surely lead to some incredibly great results for the team given the car was even half-way competitive.

So yea, bring it on. :up:

#45 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:20

Exactly, many things went wrong in 2007, drivers behavior was only one of them.

#46 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23

I don't see that at all in this topic, so perhpas your imagination is running wild! It would be great to see it happen again, without the tantrums, sulking and paranoia.

#47 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23

I always thought it was a pity the great 'anything you can do' video was killed off by them falling out almost as soon as it was released.

A rematch would be brilliant. Just unlikely.

#48 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:25

Surley you agree that for Hamilton since 2007 (when he was a rookie) there was far more development room, than for someone with the amount of experience like Alonso had?

To be fair, Hamilton MUST be a better driver due to his higher experience level. In 2007 he drove extremely well considering he was a rookie, but I really don't believe that he has improved - so much - in terms of raw speed and consistency.

#49 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:26

The problem was that Hamilton was so quick that it unsettled Alonso, who was expecting to be treated like a princess. When Hamilton started kicking his ass, he threw his toys out and started crying about everything.

Is that you, Byron Young???

What are you guys doing discussing an article from that clown???

#50 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:27

Yes and Ron Dennis and Mclaren had nothing to do with it... :rotfl: And by treated like a princess I guess you mean equal treatment?