Photo

Horner puzzled by Webber's frustration

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:57

"I think first of all we have to clearly understand what those frustrations are, because it is not at all evident to us," Horner told AUTOSPORT.

"The support that Mark has had, not just this year but for the four years he has been with the team – I cannot believe that there have been any better supported drivers in the pitlane than our drivers. It is even down to the most simple of things like the amount of media days, sponsor days and everything else they have to do. They both have absolutely awesome support from the whole of the group."

"We have provided him with a great car. Before he joined the team he had one podium to his name, and now he is a multiple grand prix winner and a world championship contender. I cannot believe that he would be better off anywhere in the pitlane, so I very much hope he will finish his career with Red Bull.

"Mark, as we all know over the years, can be a bit outspoken and sometimes he shoots from the hip. Unfortunately Thursday was one of those occasions but if that motivates him to achieve then great. The last time he did it he produced a very dominant performance at Silverstone, so let's see what he can do here."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/88023

Advertisement

#2 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:20

Really what can be achieved by Horner continuing to talk about this issue? Webber should learn to bite his lip but so should Horner. I can understand driver's occasionally saying things they shouldn't through frustration & many drivers have over the years. But why would a Team Principal keep stoking the fire?

I can't imagine Sir Frank or Brawn or Whitmarsh or Domenicali being so unprofessional. :well:

Edited by DILLIGAF, 07 November 2010 - 13:21.

#3 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:22

A lot of things puzzle Horner.

#4 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:29

I like Mark and would love him to win the WDC this year but he is a lot like Prost, blabbing to the press rather than speaking to the team.

#5 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:32

What a horrible interview. Not a single tough question.
How about points situation, championship scenarios, revealing reasons for Webber's words, constant talk about building team around Vettel while in the midst of championship fight, Turkey and team orders hypocrisy? Nothing? Reminds me Horner interview when he kept repeating "he should have left more room" mantra.

Only "feel good", let him speak questions.

And the result is headline about Webber's frustration, FFS? Good job.

It's almost as bad as Abu Dahbi is "established new grand prix" bit - (after one boring, insignificant race on awful track)

Might as well stick to so called "interviews" conducted by websites or press offices - meaning WRITTEN by press offices.

#6 sanjiro

sanjiro

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:36

And here it is

Q. Is your commitment for Mark for next year, and Dietrich's comment too, as strong today as it was before this weekend?

CH: Absolutely. Absolutely. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Thats about all we need to conclude that MW WILL NOT be with RBR in 2011.
:) pot stirred

#7 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 13:43

How about points situation, championship scenarios, revealing reasons for Webber's words, constant talk about building team around Vettel while in the midst of championship fight, Turkey and team orders hypocrisy? Nothing? Reminds me Horner interview when he kept repeating "he should have left more room" mantra.

It's almost as bad as Abu Dahbi is "established new grand prix" bit - (after one boring, insignificant race on awful track)

Might as well stick to so called "interviews" conducted by websites or press offices - meaning WRITTEN by press offices.

Agree iotar. He'd be better off saying nothing at all. What a dithering tool he is. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a politician. :lol:

#8 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:03

C'mon Cooper/Noble, ask Horner a few tougher questions.

#9 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:03

"So, he knows the kind of support that he has had and enjoyed from not just the team but from Austria, and from Dietrich Mateshitz, during the last four years.

Quoting before they change the typo :p

Edited by Sausage, 07 November 2010 - 14:03.

#10 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:07

Totally agree. That was wussy journalism.

#11 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:12

I suspect it has a lot to do with promises about priority for which driver was leading towards the end of the season and him not getting it. And no by priority I don't mean team orders ("move over Vettel") but being given the optimal pit time in a race, and the last run in quali v Vettel. There's no question in my mind that if the WDC standings were the other way around this "priority" would be being accorded to Vettel. But the team can't do that because Vettel currently has them over the barrel re: his contract (it expires at the end of next year and talks to extend it have failed).

#12 De Jokke

De Jokke

• 818 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:16

Horner is the dumbest team boss ever:

He said: Mclaren can't manage their drivers.

And what happened:

at the end of 2009: "we're building a car for vettel next year"

during 2010: "the team is build around vettel"

How would webber feel? And horner doens't understand where it comes from, yeah right? => Worst teamboss ever.

Now who can't manage their drivers???

#13 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:21

Horner is right. I also don't get why Mark seems to be complaining so much, Redbull for the last two seasons has given him a car that is capable of fighting for WDC and in the last two years, the Silverstone incident was the only one that he really got screwed over.

Before Redbull, Mark was spending his career in midfield, so in reality he should be grateful to Redbull.

#14 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:25

Horner is the dumbest team boss ever:

He said: Mclaren can't manage their drivers.

And what happened:

at the end of 2009: "we're building a car for vettel next year"

during 2010: "the team is build around vettel"

How would webber feel? And horner doens't understand where it comes from, yeah right? => Worst teamboss ever.

Now who can't manage their drivers???

I agree regarding his abilities in driver management. He criticises other teams managers when it's pretty clear he's sadly lacks in that department himself. Imho he couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I felt sorry for him when i believed he was hamstrung by Marko's influence, now i just think he's a spineless git.

#15 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:32

Horner is right. I also don't get why Mark seems to be complaining so much, Redbull for the last two seasons has given him a car that is capable of fighting for WDC and in the last two years, the Silverstone incident was the only one that he really got screwed over.

Before Redbull, Mark was spending his career in midfield, so in reality he should be grateful to Redbull.

Read Mark's comments about having the chance to drive the RB6, he is very grateful to Red Bull for the opportunities he's been given, he says so.

I'm amazed so many people pass judgement without even reading his interview.

I agree that he should say nothing & drive but this vilification of him is completely over the top imo.

#16 SK99

SK99

• 375 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:37

I suspect it has a lot to do with promises about priority for which driver was leading towards the end of the season and him not getting it. And no by priority I don't mean team orders ("move over Vettel") but being given the optimal pit time in a race, and the last run in quali v Vettel. There's no question in my mind that if the WDC standings were the other way around this "priority" would be being accorded to Vettel. But the team can't do that because Vettel currently has them over the barrel re: his contract (it expires at the end of next year and talks to extend it have failed).

I find this hard to believe.

Vettel may be a great talent, but they have a great designer which is worth much more, and a production line for drivers with some good talent coming through.

I don't think he's THAT great a talent to hold that sort of power - its just about them wanting the Red Bull programme driver winning the F1 title and all the PR waffle it carries - the stuff would be happening with Buemi or whoever else had got in the RB5 at the beginning of last year.

#17 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:47

I find this hard to believe.

Vettel may be a great talent, but they have a great designer which is worth much more, and a production line for drivers with some good talent coming through.

I don't think he's THAT great a talent to hold that sort of power - its just about them wanting the Red Bull programme driver winning the F1 title and all the PR waffle it carries - the stuff would be happening with Buemi or whoever else had got in the RB5 at the beginning of last year.

Agree. I doubt he'd have that much pull or would even threaten to walk. He doesn't seem the type to do that. It's more to do with Marko imo.

#18 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:18

Read Mark's comments about having the chance to drive the RB6, he is very grateful to Red Bull for the opportunities he's been given, he says so.

I'm amazed so many people pass judgement without even reading his interview.

I agree that he should say nothing & drive but this vilification of him is completely over the top imo.

It is pick&flame. Basically if somebody can be taken out of context and spun there will be be guys doing just that. But this doesn't just apply to Mark. Horner has become a lot more blander in his interviews, especially after Turkey and Silverstone, when the press twisted his opinions to get a chance to sell paper about a "war" inside the team. So now he is very defensive and you will hear only tranquil bla bla when asked about certain things.

H2H