Photo

Any tips for attending the 24h Le Mans 2011, campings, seats etc..?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 18:20

Hi there :wave:

Me and 6 friends are planning a trips to to Le Mans in june... But none of us has ever been there.

We "prefer" a camping close to the track...

Anyone experience, tips... Do's, Don't-s.. :confused:

Thanks in advance :up:

Advertisement

#2 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 21:19

Enjoy it is the best advice I can give, there is a good campsite/motohome park around by the Porsche curves which is not too far from the main "life" of the circuit. If you can get a covered grandstand ticket - worth its weight in gold if it rains like it did in 2007/8 plus you can still explore the reat of the track, I have only been twice so i'm sure there will be more experienced posters to follow but from what I have found is that because the race is 24 hours after the first 3 or 4 you can get a good view pretty much anywhere, I am hoping to get back this year and if so I am intending to watch the first few hours in the grandstand - excellent atmosphere especially during the build up and the national anthems - we outsung the French in France in '07 they didn't like it! - and get some sleep at around 7-8pm till around 11-Midnight and then moving to Arnage back down to the Porsche curves and then over to the Dunlop Esses / Tetre Rouge before breakfast. Early morning can be a race decider so its worth trying to keep up with events, a radio le mans personal radio is almost essential and broadcasts in both French and English throughout the 24, get some rest and food/beer mid/late morning and then head back to grandstand for the finish usually the pace will calm down as the teams prepare to bring the cars home - unless there is a close fight in class and the atmosphere in the grandstands builds again. The final lap is basically a parade as the marshalls flag the cars and the drivers flash their lights and wave before taking the flag, will never forget the sign of Brabs DBR9 taking class victory lights flashing in the pouring rain - priceless.

In all have a great time there is no right and wrong way to do Le Mans really just maje sure you got enough beer but not so much that you miss too much action.

Hopefully i'll see you there!

#3 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 18:07

Hopefully i'll see you there!

I'll be there. Thanks for the advice!

Just got another E-mail from a friend about "crazy friday" at the Mulsanne straight...

Nice :smoking:

Thanks again :up:

#4 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 21:25

Our trip is booked, nice and cheap, very much looking forward to the free crate of beer from the campsite.

#5 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 15:59

http://www.clubarnag...caguide2010.pdf

The above may be of some use to you if your planning a trip to Le Mans.

#6 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:46

:up: :up: to what's been said about bringing a portable radio for Radio Le Mans. Essential if you don't speak French.

If you're going to try to sleep, bring earplugs, obviously.

For me at least, sleep deprivation + loud engines can equal headaches, so headache medicine was useful.

It was 11 years ago that I was there last, but at least then, for me, the food available at the track was terrible.

I don't think the weather really got all that cold, but I think my body stopped producing heat when it thought it was time to sleep, and I felt like I was freezing to death in the early morning hours. Made it very hard to sleep. I even wore thermal underwear but it didn't help because there was no heat from my body to trap. I don't know how to solve that problem :)

Schedule some time to visit the museum at the track.

I have such great memories from Le Mans (besides the freezing). Have a great time!

#7 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 17:22

:up: :up: to what's been said about bringing a portable radio for Radio Le Mans. Essential if you don't speak French.

My plan (and those I'm going with) involves Kangaroo TVs

#8 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:17

Walking boots.;you will walk miles, sun tan cream, Radio Le Mans, camera, water, Union Jack flag......... with regards to the comments relating to alcohol.

You have been warned :rotfl:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is why you need a camera :eek:

Posted Image

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 03 December 2010 - 20:36.

#9 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 22:22

Is there any possibly of staying in a hotel? Camping isn't really my thing but it's only option i've seen in threads like this. Are hotel rooms really hard to come by over the race weekend?

#10 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 22:41

Have been to the Lemans when Jos drove for Aston Martin, but I have to check up with the others how we managed all the **** over there... we took a lot of hand held BBQ thingy's, meat, and loads of beer with us... that's what i remember....

2011 again, better arranged hopefully. Amazing experiance....

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:02

Is there any possibly of staying in a hotel? Camping isn't really my thing but it's only option i've seen in threads like this. Are hotel rooms really hard to come by over the race weekend?

Hey ya domhnall...
I went back in the late 60's and early 70's, Dad put us in the Chateau de LaBarre
They weren't a 'tourist' hotel like it is now but I DO recall a large party going on there for about 2 days during the event.

Below are a list of hotels in the area
http://hotels.hotels...e...e&radius=40

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 11 March 2011 - 16:04.

#12 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:17

Good man cheers. Looks like there are more options than I was expecting. Only problem i have is i probably can;t commit to booking anything for another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it will all work out :) .

#13 sw6569

sw6569

• 74 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 21:42

Hi chaps,

looks like i'm going to le mans this year too - but I just wanted to confirm what i've heard elsewhere.

Can you get hold of tickets at the event itself?

Thanks!

#14 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 15:34

yes that's possible....

camping spots are pretty much sold out.... :eek:

Edited by Frans, 19 May 2011 - 13:36.