Photo

Red and white kerbs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:48

The UBS ads in the kerbs at Yas Marina brought to my mind something I have sometimes wondered. Does the colour of the kerbs depend on sponsors and are red and white kerbs so common because of Marlboro? Marlboro-backed races used to have red and white kerbs as well as tyre barries. At Interlagos the kerbs were white, yellow, and green like the logo of Petrobras and IIRC RAC British GP had blue and white kerbs and tyre barriers.

Advertisement

#2 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:53

I think it is more an issue of contrast to show the edge of the track.

#3 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:02

Red and white is simply the perfect contrast between the usual black tarmac and green grass.

#4 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:04

The UBS ads in the kerbs at Yas Marina brought to my mind something I have sometimes wondered. Does the colour of the kerbs depend on sponsors and are red and white kerbs so common because of Marlboro? Marlboro-backed races used to have red and white kerbs as well as tyre barries. At Interlagos the kerbs were white, yellow, and green like the logo of Petrobras and IIRC RAC British GP had blue and white kerbs and tyre barriers.

In Valencia the colors are taken from the flag of Valencia Region.

#5 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:11

When did they start adding these kerbs (or is it curbs) and/or rumble strips to circuits anyway? And why did they do that, people say to show the edge of the track, but I still don't really get it.

#6 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:16

Red and white is simply the perfect contrast between the usual black tarmac and green grass.

Still, there are other colours in the kerbs. Red and yellow in Spain, yellow, green, and white in Brazil, red, blue, and white in Assen IIRC.

#7 Peppe

Peppe

• 205 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:20

I think it's not only to show the edge of the track but also to give the drivers a feel for when they are at the edge, like the tightly painted lines on the highway that makes the car vibrating and rumbling.

#8 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:27

Whatever the reason behind the preponderance of red and white kerbs it does make a rather effective form of subliminal advertising for Marlboro.

I rather miss the days when it was normal, not the exception, for the edge of the tarmac (in corners) to be where the grass started.

#9 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:30

I mean you can still watch rally if you want to see proper road racing and balls out inches-from-someones-house style racing. F1 is just too fast for that these days, just gonna have to accept it, even though it sucks but it makes sense, just like that girl that doesn't like me.

#10 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:36

Still, there are other colours in the kerbs. Red and yellow in Spain, yellow, green, and white in Brazil, red, blue, and white in Assen IIRC.

The national flag of Abu Dhabi is red and white..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Dhabi

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:00

Yeah ok, I guess it can have some national influences.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,758 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:51

Whatever the reason behind the preponderance of red and white kerbs it does make a rather effective form of subliminal advertising for Marlboro.

I rather miss the days when it was normal, not the exception, for the edge of the tarmac (in corners) to be where the grass started.

You must be an advertisers dream. I have never associated the colour of the kerbs in any way with any sponser.

#13 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 13:06

You must be an advertisers dream. I have never associated the colour of the kerbs in any way with any sponser.

At least I've always associated red and white kerbs and tyre barriers to the barcode brand. Or why the kerbs aren't always red and white.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,758 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 13:26

At least I've always associated red and white kerbs and tyre barriers to the barcode brand. Or why the kerbs aren't always red and white.

Advertiser will love people like you then if you make that association. I have never made that connection.

#15 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 13:35

are you struggling to quit smoking? kerbs...red and white.....marlboro! candy canes....red and white......fags! flag of monaco....red and white....quick roll it up and smoke it!

#16 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 13:58

The kerbs at Zandvoort used to be in the style of Marlboro cigarette packets -

Posted Image

Dunno if any other tracks had that but there presumably were a few more. I was going to start a thread about this a while ago, or about kerbs/rumble strips in general. What materials they're made of, why some tracks have both colored ones and faded brick ones (Nordschleife, for example), etc. Why a track like Oulton Park has several different kinds (kerbs that are just extensions of the circuit, kerbs that are jagged, kerbs that are red with little white balls on them, etc.).

#17 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:04

i guess the only reason they have them now is to stop the grass at the edge of the track getting chewed up over time.

#18 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:09

I've always assumed kerbs were just there in areas where you're likely to get a wheel off, and that they provide better traction than grass (which could spin you out), but they're bumpy enough to make sure you aren't likely to want to go off there lap after lap.

That, and they're pretty. It feels weird to see a circuit without a lot of kerbs, or a corner without kerbs where there should be some.

#19 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:12

I love red and white.  ;)

Advertisement

#20 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 15:51

That, and they're pretty.

I love red and white. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. The look of a "proper" circuit, a ribbon of asphalt through large areas of green grass with some brightly-painted curbs, is a beautiful thing.

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:04

I think at one time Imola had a red and white curb pattern that was actually the Marlboro shape*, rather than just red and white stripes. I think there is likely a sponsor interest. Silverstone always had blue and white curbs until Santander became the British GP sponsor. Now Silverstone has red and white curbs.

Interlagos has changed a lot over the years. When I started watching F1 in the mid 90's they had white and yellow ones. Then for a while they had green and yellow. That was followed by blue and white for a few years and then red and white for a bit, before the current colours.

I like it when circuits use different curb colours as it makes it easier to identify the circuit at a glance, and adds a bit of character.

*Edit. Andrew has provided a picture, though it is Zandvoort.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 12 November 2010 - 16:06.

#22 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:55

Character is the right word to use, it helps add some flavor to the circuit. I know it's a bit of an odd thing to dislike, but I can't help but feel my heart since a little whenever I see bland, white/grey/sand colored kerbs on a circuit, looks so ugly. No cosmetic value at all. Black, red and white would look pretty lush on an emerald-green grass background, blue and yellow looks better on tracks located in the desert, etc.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:57

Black, red and white would look pretty lush on an emerald-green grass background, blue and yellow looks better on tracks located in the desert, etc.

Melbourne had those colours for a few years (I think) in the late 90s.

#24 frp

frp

• 353 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 17:30

I think there is likely a sponsor interest. Silverstone always had blue and white curbs until Santander became the British GP sponsor. Now Silverstone has red and white curbs.

Yes, it's definitely sponsor driven. The Silverstone kerbs became blue and white when Fosters took over the GP sponsorship for 1990. Prior to that, they had been red and white in deference to Marlboro but, IIRC, they were just black and white during the Shell sponsorship period.

#25 6string

6string

• 294 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 17:42

Melbourne in recent years when sponsored by ING had orange and white kerbs. This year being sponosed by Qantas had red and white kerbs.

#26 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 19:22

It's interesting in Spain. They have white&blue kerbs at Jerez, white&red at Barcelona, yellow&orange at Valencia.

#27 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 19:34

If they go with sponsor, it should be gold and white at Abu Dhabi, looking at Etihad Airways logo.

I kind of like when they have some national (not sponsor) flavour. Also thinking about some tyre walls in different tracks: red-green-white at Suzuka, blue-green at Magny Cours turquoise-white in Sepang etc.

#28 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 19:55

It's interesting in Spain. They have white&blue kerbs at Jerez, white&red at Barcelona, yellow&orange at Valencia.

Posted Image Jerez

Posted Image Barcelona

Posted Image Valencia

#29 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 00:46

Posted Image

Point. Made.

Been watching F1 too long not to notice these things.

#30 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 00:51

CS Squared.... I love red and white as it's the Blades colours! Hence why I hate blue and white kerbs!

#31 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:06

I always thought that the red and white kerbs were due to Marlboro somewhere in the distant past sponsoring certain circuits, then other circuits adopted it unintentionally to imitate Grand Prix circuits.

No evidence for that but it made sense in my mind.