Abu Dhabi 2010: Post Qualifying Comments

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:09

Vettel and Hamilton. :up:

Good recovery by Fernando on last lap, after Ferrari once again released him in worst possible track space.

Webber choked today, hopefully he can recover tomorrow.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:19

Webber has made it no easier for himself, but, if Alonso must be WDC, I'd rather it were by more than 7 points. Suddenly things look a bit better for Vettel and Lewis remains with less than half a chance, but with the possibility of a strong showing to wrap up the season.

Imagine how tense it'll be the minutes before the start.

A firstcorner/lap crash can blow it wide open for Vettel. How agressive will Webber be? What does Button have in mind???

#3 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:20

A firstcorner/lap crash can blow it wide open for Vettel. How agressive will Webber be? What does Button have in mind???

Doubt we'll see a first corner crash, it's one of the worst first corners in F1. Very short run, tons of room on the exit, it's a bit dull really.

Can't wait though! :up:

#4 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:21

Fantastic battle between Seb and Hamilton ; Webber has just made this weekend very, very hard for himself.

#5 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:24

I reckon Webber will bin it tomorrow, even if he doesn't I think Alonso will take the WDC and well deserved it was too.

Why the hell couldn't McLaren get that wing working 3/4 races ago.

#6 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Good for RBR/Horner that they did not let themselves get caught up in the "what if Vettel needs to let Webber pass" discussions.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 13 November 2010 - 14:25.

#7 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Pretty good job by Vettel and Hamilton but Alonso with the traffic problem, with almost no time to heat the tyres, just amazing, 3rd and clean side.
Webber chocked a little but who can blame him?, the pressure on Mark's side for tomorrow is insane.

#8 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:25

Alonso could be webberized tomorrow. Vettel was cautious with his engine in qualifying.

#9 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:26

Very tense Q. For sure this years championship has been superb :up: Tomorrow it'll be over :(

Vettel great + he is in the best personal situation. He doesn't have to play the team game with the Mclarens in between him and Webber so he can just drive to victory and hope Alonso's car dies on him.

Alonso under presure a great lap. Ferrari messed up sending him out so late though, almost cost them dearly, quite amazing the drivers could make free space in that chaos :lol:

Webber pretty disapointing. It's only like 0.15 or so, but compared to Vettel this was too much. He'll go for it at the start, maybe kamikaze style like he does so well :p

#10 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:27

I am angry with the way that Mercedes Backmaker at the Q3 behaved between the two Ferraris.

Should FIA punish that car? I do hope so.

Edited by One, 13 November 2010 - 14:28.

#11 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:28

I am angry with the way that Mercedes Backmaker at the Q3 behaved between the two Ferraris.

Why???? had as much right to be there as any other??

#12 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:29

Very tense Q. For sure this years championship has been superb :up: Tomorrow it'll be over :(

Vettel great + he is in the best personal situation. He doesn't have to play the team game with the Mclarens in between him and Webber so he can just drive to victory and hope Alonso's car dies on him.

Alonso under presure a great lap. Ferrari messed up sending him out so late though, almost cost them dearly, quite amazing the drivers could make free space in that chaos :lol:

Webber pretty disapointing. It's only like 0.15 or so, but compared to Vettel this was too much. He'll go for it at the start, maybe kamikaze style like he does so well :p

0.15?

its more like 0.5, he's half a second down in the same car, Webber bottled it hugely.

#13 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,671 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:29

Uh, there aren't any backmarkers in Q3. They were all setting up a flying lap.

#14 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:30

Lay off the crack.

Rosberg was on a fast lap. Both Ferraris should be happy that they are not penalised.

#15 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

wasnt rosberg on a FAST lap?

the two ferraris should be punished and not the other way around, but I guess they had no choice seeing as alonso barely managed to cross the line before the clock gone to zero.

#16 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Webber really got beat today by team mate but Red Bull can now see what idiots they were not to let Webber get ahead of Vettel last race.

Also anyone find it funny Vettel is celebrating being cocky using his number one figure salute.

#17 SchumiP1

SchumiP1

• 92 posts

You just know Massa's going to get hit hard by the FIA for his incident with Hamilton. Because anyone who touches The Golden Boy is doomed!

#18 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Red Bull shot themselves in the foot big time in Brazil and have handed the title on a platter to Alonso.

idiots

#19 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:31

Actually, it was the other way around. The Ferraris were on out laps to my knowledge - or were winding up for a hot lap. Rosberg, on the other hand, was on a hot lap. If anything, it's the Ferraris who should be punished.

Advertisement

#20 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Mark Webber is 13th fastest in sector 2. Very strange.

#21 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

Hope springs eternal... :well:

#22 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:32

I was a little miffed with that too - (was it Schumi?). Still - the Mercedes HAD to be there - the ferrars and the Mercedes were backing each other up - and they did have traffic in fron to avoid - and you saw how close it was for Massa to get over the line....The Mercedes had no choice if he wanted a lap - and I expect that all the jockeying didn't improve his lap either.

#23 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Red Bull shot themselves in the foot big time in Brazil and have handed the title on a platter to Alonso.

idiots

how would a position swap would've helped them?
Webber would've to be infront of alonso in that case, but it looks like this is another singapore with webber beeing slow as ****.

#24 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Webber really got beat today by team mate but Red Bull can now see what idiots they were not to let Webber get ahead of Vettel last race.

Also anyone find it funny Vettel is celebrating being cocky using his number one figure salute.

It's actually the exact opposite. Had RedBull switched Vettel/Webber in Brazil they would have killed their championship chances. Webber is behind Alonso, Brazil switch wouldn't have given him a championship, he would still need to be ahead of Alonso

#25 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Things are suddenly looking so much better for Vettel IMO.

Button and Webber have nothing to lose and they know that Alonso has all to lose so they'll probably go very very aggressive on him. But then again - Alonso needs to finish either better than Button or Webber (if Vettel wins).

Alonso is still in best position, but probably somewhat worse than I expected him to be.

#26 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

???

If they'd used team orders then they'd have lost the WDC now. Instead, they actually have a hope.

#27 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,797 posts

Actually, it was the other way around. The Ferraris were on out laps to my knowledge - or were winding up for a hot lap. Rosberg, on the other hand, was on a hot lap. If anything, it's the Ferraris who should be punished.

Rosberg was NOT on a hot lap. Fact.

#28 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:33

LOL!!!! Ferrari is happy to avoid penalty, they'd probably get it if it isn't last race of season.

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:33

Pretty good job by Vettel and Hamilton but Alonso with the traffic problem, with almost no time to heat the tyres, just amazing, 3rd and clean side.
Webber chocked a little but who can blame him?, the pressure on Mark's side for tomorrow is insane.

I'm not sure they go over the 3rd grid spot when the cross the track after the last corner, so it shouldn't be perfectly clean and rubbered. But Webber (3rd) did have a better start than Vettel (2nd) last year.

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,621 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:34

Mark Webber is 13th fastest in sector 2. Very strange.

He was looking at his front left wheel when he pulled into parc ferme after qualy too - S2 is long straights and heavy braking, so perhaps looking at the brakes?

#31 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:35

Interesting. Source?

#32 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

None of them were, IIRC.
There should be no fuss over this, they were simply looking for some room after being sent out to late.

#33 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Neither were the Ferraris, so nothing doing. FACT

#34 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

idiots

what? mark webber ****ed it completely.

thx god they ddint hear forumers around the world.

go seb.

#35 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

It's actually the exact opposite. Had RedBull switched Vettel/Webber in Brazil they would have killed their championship chances. Webber is behind Alonso, Brazil switch wouldn't have given him a championship, he would still need to be ahead of Alonso

race pace Red Bull is faster then Ferrari. Now they have no hope in hell when Alonso can cruise around in third place knowing webber has to pass 3 cars to get WDC.

#36 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:36

RBR are (were?) idiots to not let the slower driver win, because today the slower driver qualified well behind his team-mate?

Okay. Whatever you say. :drunk:

Persnoally I think they have put themselves in the best possible position to win the WDC, given the kind of season both their drivers have had.

#37 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:36

Pretty sure I saw him jump up to 9th after that lap.

#38 SteF1an

SteF1an

• 893 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:37

So far looking good!
GO VETTEL!!! :up:

#39 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:38

yeah, I like that, some emotional discharge from him. Don't understand why it bothers so many people

Advertisement

#40 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:39

So far looking good!
GO VETTEL!!! :up:

Not a fan of his but with all bad luck this season he would deserve it.

#41 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Vettel did what I expected given that he has by far the best car. Hamilton and Alonso did an excellent job... Alonso must surely have a fantastic chance of collecting his third World Championship. Webber was very disappointing...looks like he was the one who was most affected by the pressure. I just have a feeling that something will happen to him in the race tomorrow...he is never at his best when he is not on the front row. I think Ferrari fans will be celebrating come tomorrow night...

#42 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Whats the lowest postion Alonso has to finish for Vettel to be champion and how many places ahead does Webber have to be,im in a rush can't look it up now...

#43 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:40

yeah, I like that, some emotional discharge from him. Don't understand why it bothers so many people

Neither do I. I'm not a fan of Vettel, but I have no problem with it. I don't recall this many people being upset with Schumacher's podium jumps.

#44 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Championship calculator.

#45 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Pretty sure I saw him jump up to 9th after that lap.

No, it wasn't on that lap...although he was on a hot lap, but hadn't set a personal best.

#46 HappyPhantom

HappyPhantom

• 273 posts

Championship calculator.

Thank you, I was looking for that :)

#47 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:43

Championship calculator.

Thx

#48 jigc

jigc

• 170 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:43

perfect job done of last lap, alonso :up: :clap:

#49 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:44

Tense, edge of the seat stuff! Great, great qualifying session, and congrats to Vettel and Hamilton, who as ever seems to eek out everything from their cars. Hamilton more than Vettel I suspect, but they certainly drove impressively today.
Alonso too looked fast, while Massa was just appaling today. Squeezing Hamilton and then tripped over himself towards the end and couldn't get the last lap in. Deserved.

Happy that Button managed a respectable lap, and he might jump Alonso at the start tomorrow, which means the main combatants, Webber and Alonso, should be together and racing hard.

Webber performed his worst Q3-session for a good while, very dissapointing but not running two sets of softs didn't help. But Vettel has been quicker all weekend and even extended the pace-advantage he enjoyed over Webber, in those last few laps in Q3.

What happened with Rosberg? He was always four to seven tenths faster than Schumacher but in the end lines up behind, and is on the board with a lap slower than he did in Q2....

Great job from Barrichello! Just wish it was 0.002 secs faster...

Petrov deserves the thumbs up and Kubica the thumbs down. He overdrove and looked really messy trying to beat Petrov.

Can't wait for the race!

#50 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,570 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:47

How the F@ck did Fonzo pull that lap on cold tyres?