Photo

Should wing mirrors be bigger in F1?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tstag

Tstag

• 321 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:55

There have been a few incidents this year where bigger wing mirrors could have stopped some accidents. Time for the FIA to demand larger winger mirrors?

Advertisement

#2 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:25

Yes, larger mirrors would be nice. They should aim to at least double the area from current spec.

#3 cairnsie13

cairnsie13

• 32 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:27

Yes, larger mirrors would be nice. They should aim to at least double the area from current spec.

To be honest i think with all the vibrations going on in the car due to the stiff stuspension you still will not see much.

#4 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:28

I don't think it is the size so much as the height. The rear tyres are always going to cause a huge blindspot.

#5 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,795 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:45

Time for the FIA to demand larger winger mirrors?

Sure, but the bigger issue is not just sheer size, but also something needs to be done about the huge blind spot. Mirrors only see directly behind, and the driver doesnt see much apart from forward.

Looking at the Hamilton / Massa incident today at Abu Dhabi, I think that there was only a small (half second) period of time when Massa was directly behind Hamilton, as Massa came flying around the corner.
After that he was in the blind spot and Hamilton simply didnt know he was there until they both entered the corner at the same time. Hamiltons fault, but an extra mirror next to the current mirror to show the blind spot would also be a good rule.

Edited by alfa1, 13 November 2010 - 15:45.

#6 Tstag

Tstag

• 321 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:56

I know a video screen would add weight and possible reliability issues, but maybe it's time for camera's and a video screen. Could also be a good way for the driver to receive telemetry.

#7 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:59

I know a video screen would add weight and possible reliability issues, but maybe it's time for camera's and a video screen. Could also be a good way for the driver to receive telemetry.

Some GT cars in sportscar racing have that instead of a central rear view mirror (mainly because the racing versions of some of the cars don't have rear windows) however their cockpit area is far bigger in those, so I can't see it working in F1

Edited by johnap, 13 November 2010 - 16:00.

#8 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:01

Small TFTs have been tried in F1 cars before, most drivers didn't like them mostly cause thy couldn't really see them. Keep in mind F1 cockpits are exposed, there is no "shaded" ared to stick a screen in so that it can be visible in bright sunlight.

Edited by engel, 13 November 2010 - 16:02.

#9 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,248 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:44

The drivers already have too much going on to use mini screens in the cockpit.

Might be better to have sensors on the rear wing that watch for cars and then if for example the car senses a car approaching from the left side the driver gets a tone in his left ear.

Kind of echo location for F1 drivers :p

#10 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:25

I'm going to get out my big drum and beat it.

I think they should use spotters.

*puts away his drum*

#11 teejay

teejay

• 3,670 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:28

Replace the mirror with larger lcd screens - mount two wide angle lenses in the rear of the car - negates the rear tyres blocking vision.

current hd technology should make these deliver decent quality pics

#12 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 17:32

Yes, but from the perspective of generating errors from extra psychological pressure.