Photo

Lotus Renault

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 13:18

Am I reading too much into a throwaway comment, or was there a suggestion at the weekend of a Renault/Lotus merger of some sort?

Now that Renault F1 is operating at arms-length from the factory, and supplying Lotus with engines next year, could an argument be made for Lotus Renault to become the 'works' team?

'Air Asia Lotus Renault'. 'Air Asia Renault Lotus' perhaps.

No doubt independent teams would be their preferred option, but in these straightened times it might make financial sense. And it could give Lotus the kick towards the mid/front grid slots that they crave.

There again, maybe not!

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,572 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 16:04

Surely more at home in Racing Comments?

#3 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 17:04

Maybe there is a space for us to get all nostalgic here StephenW, there was something mentioned in this week`s magazine about Tony Fernandez taking the team one step further and the cars being raced in black and gold (like when sponsored by a certain cigarette brand) after the initial green & yellow colour scheme. It was also thought that maybe a black & gold Lotus/Renault could marry up with the Senna name in the future....hmmm nostalgia indeed!!!

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,937 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 17:24

Frankly, this whole row over who can use the Lotus name is sickening. Talk about vultures scuffling over the carcase of a great team. The real Team Lotus ended in the 1990s and shouldn't be exhumed like this.

As for why Renault want to hide their own distinguished GP record behind the name of Lotus, I am at a complete loss. Whatever happened to French pride?

#5 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 17:24

From what I've heard, the rumor was re-naming the current" Renault" team Lotus, and finding a new name for the current "Lotus"

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 17:32

Also discussed in this earlier thread:

Lotus articles 1994/1995

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 18:00

Frankly, this whole row over who can use the Lotus name is sickening. Talk about vultures scuffling over the carcase of a great team. The real Team Lotus ended in the 1990s and shouldn't be exhumed like this.

As for why Renault want to hide their own distinguished GP record behind the name of Lotus, I am at a complete loss. Whatever happened to French pride?

Agree with paragraph 1.

As for paragraph 2. Simple. If it wins it's a Lotus-Renault and if it loses it's a Lotus-Renault.

#8 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:41

Surely more at home in Racing Comments?

Yes, it is. I just can't bear to go there.