Photo

Scam on the website

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 19:11

I like the advert on the main website were it fools you by thinking its a game. Actually its not. It doesn't even allow you the pleasure of shooting a few colored bubbles. Instead it takes you directly to the website where they claim to be #1 IQ test on the web (I'd like to see a website that gave them that award. It doesn't exist!!). They try to make it believeable by putting 5 stars out of five (by whom?) and adding false awards. They also determine your country by IP address and then make up names that are supposed to be from your country and again put false indorsements in there. I love how they completely missed with one Estonian family name. In Estonia there is no such name.

In fine print at the bottom it all becomes clear what they are really about. Behind the lies is a scam where they try to send you as many SMS's as possible. I bet its almost impossible and very costly to unregister. In Estonia we have news all the time about such scams where they trick people - especially kids - into such services and the parents have to pay for it. They also share you date with others who will endlessly start to spam you with other crap and sell your date to other websites aswell.

Nice choice of partners, Autosport! :up:

Advertisement

#2 JimFosterAutosport

JimFosterAutosport
  • Former digital product manager

• 73 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 22:09

I am sorry to hear about this... If you could get me a screen grab of the advert then we will absolutely get it banned from the site.

It will have originated from an agency that sells remnant advertising space on our behalf. We do our best to scan all the ads provided. 99% of the time material such as this is blocked, very occasionally something will slip through the net.

We will make sure it is removed and does not tun again.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention

Jim

#3 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 19:19

I'm sorry, haven't checked back here for a while. It looked like a game where you can shoot bubbles. It's not there anymore.

#4 ShawnMicheal

ShawnMicheal

• 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:34

I visit website and found no problem in it . Its working and all topics are good .
Keep doing it Man ! Have a Good Day !

#5 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 22:35

Just wondering if anyone has come across this while on the forums here.

All of a sudden a Windows style box pops up saying that certain files have been detected in critical areas of the computer and a scan needs to be run. The screen then changes to what looks like the 'My Computer' section of Windows with a supposed scan running indicating various viruses have been detected on the hard drive. But all of this is just a website that - I assume - will then try to get you to buy some kind of software to get rid of the 'viruses'.

I say assume because I haven't allowed it to go any further - I try to close it down fairly quickly. It has happened a couple of times but only while I've been on the Racing Comments forum - after each time I have run a scan and all is ok so it doesn't seem to dump any viruses in the time that it has been open on screen.

Both times it has also happened as I've opened a thread so I am thinking it is somehow coming from the banner ads? Not 100% sure so be interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience?

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,865 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 00:15

Just wondering if anyone has come across this while on the forums here.

All of a sudden a Windows style box pops up saying that certain files have been detected in critical areas of the computer and a scan needs to be run. The screen then changes to what looks like the 'My Computer' section of Windows with a supposed scan running indicating various viruses have been detected on the hard drive. But all of this is just a website that - I assume - will then try to get you to buy some kind of software to get rid of the 'viruses'.

I say assume because I haven't allowed it to go any further - I try to close it down fairly quickly. It has happened a couple of times but only while I've been on the Racing Comments forum - after each time I have run a scan and all is ok so it doesn't seem to dump any viruses in the time that it has been open on screen.

Both times it has also happened as I've opened a thread so I am thinking it is somehow coming from the banner ads? Not 100% sure so be interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience?

Don't get it myself because I use AdBlock Plus and never see adverts. But there's a new kind of malware attack which hides in adverts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-12608651

If you haven't already done so, I'd advise you to run a deep scan with something like SuperAntiSpyware, as some of this stuff can elude antivirus scans. Safest way to avoid these things is to crash your browser, cut your internet connection and then either restart in safe mode or use the browser startup to erase it when it can't connect.

#7 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:37

Don't get it myself because I use AdBlock Plus and never see adverts. But there's a new kind of malware attack which hides in adverts:

If you haven't already done so, I'd advise you to run a deep scan with something like SuperAntiSpyware, as some of this stuff can elude antivirus scans. Safest way to avoid these things is to crash your browser, cut your internet connection and then either restart in safe mode or use the browser startup to erase it when it can't connect.

I got that virus about 2 weeks ago, though I thought it was on the back of an adobe update request.
Since I only visit legit sites ( here and PH ) ...and this is my only trusted site, I was very surprised that I caught it.
I still don't know where it came from, but think it's more likely from elsewhere.

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:39

Thanks for the advice. :up:

Have run a deep scan with SAS and came up clean - so all good.

I got that virus about 2 weeks ago, though I thought it was on the back of an adobe update request.
Since I only visit legit sites ( here and PH ) ...and this is my only trusted site, I was very surprised that I caught it.
I still don't know where it came from, but think it's more likely from elsewhere.

I have picked up a virus before via a supposed Java update - so I am always a bit wary of software update requests these days...