Lester-Bristol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander M

Alexander M

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 20:05

Hello!

This car has appeared at autopuzzles.com some time ago and after months of guessing was identified as a Lester-Bristol. There are some doubts about this, though, because no sources report any Bristol engined cars ever made by Harry Lester. The current owner is sure about the engine. Said to be built in mid-fifties, the car is seemingly captured here during one of the first editions of Wiscombe Park hillclimbs. Are there any thoughts on the identity of this special - maybe it's a further evolution of one of Mr.Lester's cars? Could anyone with entry lists for the early Wiscombe Park events say something about Bristol engined #29?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope I'm not the only one interested in this car.

Many thanks in advance :wave:

Advertisement

#2 jonnylayze

jonnylayze

• 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 21:10

I'm interested but I'm not sure I can help except to say that I've been going to Wiscombe for 30 years. I imagine this is thought to be the first corner after the start but if that is the case the topography and position of the photographer relative to the camber of the road just don't feel right to me.

I'm aware of the Lester MG although I don't recognise the bodywork in the photo above. (It is reminiscent of one of the later Allards with all enveloping bodywork) The Bristol engine is/was very tall and the proportions of the bodywork look like they would have accommodated the engine.

Do you have any present day pictures of the car?

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 21:10

I don't recall having heard of a Lester-Bristol
Most of course had MG power, though there were a couple with Climax FWAs, and at least one in the US powered by an Offy midget
A Bristol engine makes sense - compare Kieft and Lotus sportscars from the same period with MG and Bristol engine choices with (comparatively) little alteration

#4 Alexander M

Alexander M

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 21:55

Jonny, probably there are some more shots of the car, I believe the man who has posted this picture wanted to contact a present day owner, but the car needs a restoration, and I don't know how badly it does. There was an idea about a Rochdale C-Type body with a modified front end, however it can be just something similar in appearance.

David, that's the case - no one remembers anything about Lester-Bristol. The only place I could find this combination at was racingsportscars.com - it listed such car at one of 1957 races in the States. Although, to be honest, I think that car should have been Lister, as the driver (John Norwood) was seen in a Lister for several times during the same season.

Thank you for your replies so far!

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 22:36

Normally I'd join in, but I've been through most of what I think on Autopuzzles as Alexander knows, and most of the points I made have been covered. We covered a lot of ground in the Lester-Riley thread one of which looked like this:
Posted Image

#6 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:04

Allan
You beat me to it. I have now found a 50s entry for the Lester Riley in an old programme.
I will post details when I have finished my alloted mortning's digging. I'm just browsing whilst drinking my breakfast coffee
John

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:35

Said to be built in mid-fifties, the car is seemingly captured here during one of the first editions of Wiscombe Park hillclimbs. Are there any thoughts on the identity of this special - maybe it's a further evolution of one of Mr.Lester's cars? Could anyone with entry lists for the early Wiscombe Park events say something about Bristol engined #29?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm interested but I'm not sure I can help except to say that I've been going to Wiscombe for 30 years. I imagine this is thought to be the first corner after the start but if that is the case the topography and position of the photographer relative to the camber of the road just don't feel right to me.

I agree that this isn't the first corner at Wiscombe. Firstly there isn't room for that many cars on the outside of the first corner and secondly the firsat corner is more or less flat! I think this may have been taken at Firle.

:wave:

#8 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:49

I have now done my digging stint (she's a cruel taskmaster) and looked up the details of the(or should that be "a") LESTER RILEY, it was still in the hands of T.A. Bleasdale at the end of 1958. I have also re-read the entire Lester Riley thread, Dick Duncan who contributed info on the Climax car in the USA says that it arrived with an ASHLEY body. To my mind the car we are looking at in this thread is not "C" type Rochdale, it looks more like a chopped about ASHLEY; added to which it is not tall enough in the bonnet area to accomodate a Bristol Who has the old hill climb programmes.

#9 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:55

I would say the venue is Shelsley walsh.

#10 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:27

I would say the venue is Shelsley walsh.

Bottom Esse! Of course!