Photo

Taking the P4 around Spa (virtually)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 23:41

Now strictly speaking, this doesn't belong here but ...

If you don't visit the Stimulators Forum all that often, you may have missed the news that the long-awaited sports cars add-on for Grand Prix Legends is now available - and it's an absolute peach. The cars are based on the 1967 season (plus a year or two either side) - so as well as the Ferrari P4, Chaparral 2F, Lola T70 Mk 3 and GT40 Mk 2, you've the Chap 2D and first Mirage to play with (among others), at Le Mans, Brands, Sebring, etc, etc. And all free, amazingly (assuming you still have your original GPL disc somewhere).

Having lost the whole evening with it, I have to say it's remarkable. The cars are much less 'hair-trigger' in their responses than the F1 cars and drift beautifully - and the sounds are extraordinary. I've no idea how realistic the cars' responses are but since it's unlikely anyone will entrust me with their T70 for a few laps of Brands, I'm content to tootle around with this one, which behaves like a big pussycat despite having what sounds like a medium-size thunderstorm raging inside the cockpit with you. And the chance to go back to BOAC days and drive the P4 around Brands made my evening, tempered by the thought that the crowd at Druids probably includes a virtual teenage Odseybod making caustic comments about my progress (or lack of it). The 'proper' Spa circuit is next on the agenda ...

http://www.sportscar....net/index.html

Advertisement

#2 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 00:27

Thanks, I'll check it out.

#3 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:18

On the cover photo for the 1967 Daytona 24 hour race on the Sportscar legends isn't that Miles and Ruby the 1966 winnners?

#4 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:50

Nice to know people are still working on GPL, but sadly mine will no longer load, despite a fresh install :mad:

Edited by h4887, 18 November 2010 - 11:51.

#5 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:15

Nice to know people are still working on GPL, but sadly mine will no longer load, despite a fresh install :mad:

There's a very good 'all-in-one' installer around that will load and patch everything for you, provided you still have your GPL disc. Worked fine for me (on a 64-bit PC with Win 7). It's here:

http://gplps.org/wb/...l-installer.php

#6 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 20:33

That's what I used, but no luck. I may now be inspired to have another go.

#7 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:11

That's what I used, but no luck. I may now be inspired to have another go.

Good luck, Geoff. Without teaching Granny on how to extract birds in embryo, it's probably important to remove all traces of a previous GPL installation (I say probably because I installed it on a fresh compooter, with no danger of any conflicts with existing stuff).

#8 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:34

Thanks - I sometimes think bits of it hide in dark corners!
About the only racing sim I have which still works properly is NASCAR, and that's terminally tedious.