Dudley Coram

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 15:16

Gentlemen,
Iam trying to find out more about Dudley Coram,in particular the connection with Hamblyn House in Rickinghall in Suffolk.
I have tried to uncover his involvement with this "club" where ,it is claimed ,the origins of snetterton heath racing circuit lie.
My curiosity was aroused by the exciting prospect of changes to snetterton,and the possible re-naming of some of the corners.Irealised that I knew about Riches,Sears and Russell,but next to nothing about Coram.
Can anyone/help advise me(Ihave tried the other forum but without response)
Look forward to your responses?
Regards,
Carrotcruncher.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,865 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 15:43

Some possible pointers:

Dudley Saville Gery Coram was an authority on Aston Martins, Executive President of AMOC and author of "Aston Martin: Portrait of a Sports Car", plus a workshop manual for early Astons and the Profile on the Aston 1½ International. I believe he worked in magazine publishing.

He died in 1976 at his home in Burgess Hill.

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 16:00

Vitesse2 has written most of what I would have been able to.
Snetterton corner names: Was Coram named after Dudley Coram?
Who was Sear (not Sears) named after

#4 mgtd

mgtd

• 143 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 16:34

Vitesse2 has written most of what I would have been able to.
Snetterton corner names: Was Coram named after Dudley Coram?
Who was Sear (not Sears) named after

Sear corner named after Oliver Sear,as per

http://www.motorraci...uits/Snetterton

NOT , as populary thought, Jack Sears, of whom we all know.

Sorry I had to resort to checking my facts on the internet. If he were not out of the country my friend Andrew Kitson would have given you chapter and verse within seconds!

Stephen

#5 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 17:15

Some possible pointers:

Dudley Saville Gery Coram was an authority on Aston Martins, Executive President of AMOC and author of "Aston Martin: Portrait of a Sports Car", plus a workshop manual for early Astons and the Profile on the Aston 1½ International. I believe he worked in magazine publishing.

He died in 1976 at his home in Burgess Hill.

Mr Coram was also the editor of 'Gardening News'. I used to deliver his post when I worked for Fleetway Publications after leaving school. He was very generous with his Christmas box!.

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 16 December 2010 - 17:10.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,865 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 18:24

Thanks for the confirmation on Fleetway, Eric. I'd found a couple of ads in The Times which indicated that he oversaw the launch of Fleetway's new magazine Woman's Mirror in 1960.

#7 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:07

Oliver Sear and Dudley Coram negotiated with the farmer, Fred Riches who had got his land back from the Air Ministry to use the site for racing. Mr Riches, a local churchwarden agreed providing there was no practice or racing on a Sunday between 10:45 and noon and racing had to finish before Evensong. There's three names from the original circuit.

The AMOC organised the first meeting there in October 1951

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:49

Was the corner after Coram and before the pit straight always called Russell? Assuming it was named after Jim of that ilk, I'd be surprised if it was

And who was Mr Bommole?

#9 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:03

Hamblyn House was a actually a Country Club that straddled the boundaries between the villages of Bottesdale and Rickinghall, this was also served as the boundary between the authorities of East and West Suffolk. Oliver Sear ran the establishment, one customer was Aston Martin driver St John “Jock” Horsfall who lived in the parish and another was local engineer Billy Walsingham who tuned racing cars. By 1951 it was the unofficial meeting place of various local members of the Eastern Counties Motor Club, which included local busnessmen John & Ben Wyatt.

Having seen the success of the three race meetings organised by the E.C.M.C. at Fersfield, John and Ben Wyatt decided to set up a more permanent venue with Oliver Sear as the manager. The Wyatt family farmed the land around Snetterton and knew Riches well, the story of how Sear stumbled across the airfield was nothing more than a fabrication put around at the time; albeit with the knowledge of the Wyatt brothers. For the first meeting John Wyatt put up a First Prize of £100, a considerable sum for 1951, apparently most of this was spent in the bar afterwards.

As an aside; before the war the land where the racetrack is was farmed by the West family from Brome which is about 3 miles east of Diss. The wartime Ministry of Agriculture decided that the Snetterton farm was too far from Diss to be farmed effectively and made the West family part with it, later the American airbase was built on it.

I think that the Hamblyn House later became a pub (as opposed to a club) but now it is a private house.

#10 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:06

Was the corner after Coram and before the pit straight always called Russell? Assuming it was named after Jim of that ilk, I'd be surprised if it was

And who was Mr Bommole?

Yes it was always called Russell because it was a later addition to try to reduce speeds past the pits. It was named after Jim Russell.

Mr Bommole and Ms Esses are local legends, I understand :lol:

#11 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:43

I'm glad Mr Trevail has been flushed out, with some more information.

Legend has it that Bomb Hole was a corruption from the name given by motorcycle competitors who came off there and found themselves on their Bum Hole. :wave:

Edited by fuzzi, 22 November 2010 - 09:45.

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:18

Yes it was always called Russell because it was a later addition to try to reduce speeds past the pits. It was named after Jim Russell.

Excuse my iggerance, but in the original layout, you presumably rounded Coram and then had to kink left for the pit straight? Did that have a name pre-Russell? Or is my perspective askew?

And I'm sure I'd previously heard the Bomb-hole explanation given by Julian :)

Edited by David McKinney, 22 November 2010 - 11:19.

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:25

According to the map of the original layout in the entry on Snetterton on Darren Galpin's site, that corner was known as Paddock Bend.

#14 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:43

And the other map shows it as you will never see it again :cry: Being one of nature's pessimists I'm expecting an un-improvement, as most circuit changes seem to be. I can't help being a miserable old git...

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:44

....local busnessmen John & Ben Wyatt.... John and Ben Wyatt decided to set up a more permanent venue with Oliver Sear as the manager. The Wyatt family farmed the land around Snetterton

As a logical extension of their farming interests, the brothers Wyatt went on to operate a very large and successful international refrigerated transport fleet, Wyatts of Diss under the name of Fridge Freight. They enjoyed a very good, if at times controversial reputation , among their kind, as they had their own ideas about vehicle spec etc, not to mention operating weights at a time, as we all did in those days, when the gross weights "over there" were higher than ours "over here" but their trucks were always well up to doing the job at any weight. Before the arrival of F89 Volvos and 140 Scanias they ran 6 wheel AEC tractors converted as sleepercabs from large tipper chassis to ensure good axle weights etc at the weights which we ran, and the trucks always went very well. John, IRC, was wheelchair-bound. Perhaps Gentleman Jack recalls the family
Roger Lund

#16 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 13:04

And the other map shows it as you will never see it again :cry: Being one of nature's pessimists I'm expecting an un-improvement, as most circuit changes seem to be. I can't help being a miserable old git...

The current Snett layout makes it THE worst track in the country. The new Snett 300 looks to be a vast improvement over two long straights connected by a couple of bends.

DC

#17 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 14:24

Gentlemen all.
I thank you all most kindly for all your invaluable information,so generously provided and so quickly.I had found out a little about Dudley Coram's significant involvement with the A.M.O.C,and the fact that he held almost every office within this organisation,before his death in 1976.
They have an annual event called the Dudley Coram Lecture,where a prominent guest is invited to speak,I also knew about his publishing activity.
I am especially indebted to LT,for Iknew nothing about "Jock" Horsfall, or the West family,and the forced sale of the land that was to become Snetterton.
I am old enough to have been visiting snetterton since 1968,and recall the Bombhole naming. I can confirm that "Coram" IS named after Dudley, for it was he who became the first Clerk of Course,way back in 1951.
So, you have all given me some pointers to get my (research)teeth into,which I shall now do.
Thank you all once again,any further pointers most welcome.
Regards,
David.

#18 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 15:34

John Wyatt did indeed run Fridge Freight and Bradbury West summed the business quite well, however John was not wheelchair bound; but did walk with two sticks. Locally he was known as 'Sticks' although few dared call him that to his face. As a young boy he contracted polio which stunted his growth, but this did not stop him from driving (cars & trucks) or horse riding. I have been told that the brothers built a six wheeler AEC tractor unit before AEC did!

Ben ran his earth moving business from the other side of the A11 to the circuit, the water tower seen in many old photos was in his yard. His heavy machinery was used to form the spectators banking around the circuit and dig out what we now know as the Bomb Hole, this title owes nothing to the Luftwaffe.

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 16:28

According to the map of the original layout in the entry on Snetterton on Darren Galpin's site, that corner was known as Paddock Bend.

Thanks Tim

Makes sense

Advertisement

#20 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 18:14

I have been told that the brothers built a six wheeler AEC tractor unit before AEC did!

Based on a Marshall Major but with an AV760 engine IIRC. Regarding the wheelchair, I can only go on what drivers related to me. These were the early days of fresh hanging beef to Europe and the Wyatts had the first trailer which would take a full 7-rib pistola forequarter hanging and not touching the floor. This made it a problem "over there" with the 4 metre height regs and many of their bridges. John, like many of us in those days, invariably driven by customer demands, also had his own ideas about what a full load was.....especially as the equipment was by nature fairly heavy empty.
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 22 November 2010 - 18:14.

#21 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 19:32

The Old Hairpin with its gravel take-off ramp - I remember arriving there one morning to find myself sans freins, the only way to slow down was to use the RH rear wheel of Buzz Buzaglow's Mk10 Merlyn as a buffer, fortunately without damage to either car... The man from Girling explained to me that I had to braze a pig-tail made from brake piping to the reservoir cap, as on some cars a resonant rocking was set up in the reservoir which when it reached the vent hole siphoned off the brake fluid; did the needful, never suffered from it again.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 22 November 2010 - 19:33.

#22 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 15:58

John Wyatt did indeed run Fridge Freight and Bradbury West summed the business quite well, however John was not wheelchair bound; but did walk with two sticks. Locally he was known as 'Sticks' although few dared call him that to his face. As a young boy he contracted polio which stunted his growth, but this did not stop him from driving (cars & trucks) or horse riding. I have been told that the brothers built a six wheeler AEC tractor unit before AEC did!

Ben ran his earth moving business from the other side of the A11 to the circuit, the water tower seen in many old photos was in his yard. His heavy machinery was used to form the spectators banking around the circuit and dig out what we now know as the Bomb Hole, this title owes nothing to the Luftwaffe.

#23 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 16:05

Does your reference to Ben's earth moving business being located on thr other side of the A11 mean that these were the premises that became Van Dieman, or is my memory playing tricks again.?
Thanks for the other information,I am in the process of researching these further.
Regards
David.

#24 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:47

Does your reference to Ben's earth moving business being located on thr other side of the A11 mean that these were the premises that became Van Dieman, or is my memory playing tricks again.?
Thanks for the other information,I am in the process of researching these further.
Regards
David.
Sorry for my slip, my previous post was intended for LT,reason I ask is that in the eighties when I worked for a furnishing business in Bury St.Edmunds,we were asked to refurbish the office and reception area for a certain Mr.Ralph Firman.

#25 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 15:41

With the dueling of the A11 it is difficult to say what was where, and in truth I don't really know anyway. This is all in the general area of where Ben kept his earth movers, but as to who owned the site; I again don't really know!

#26 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 14:43

With the dueling of the A11 it is difficult to say what was where, and in truth I don't really know anyway. This is all in the general area of where Ben kept his earth movers, but as to who owned the site; I again don't really know!

Gentlemen,
as some may have noticed my "research "into Dudley Coram has not progressed greatly,though I have noticed some interest "at a tangent" about St.John Jock Horsfall which brought a fascinating insight from that fount of knowledge,Leigh Trevail,very informative.I did try to follow up the lead re Fridge Freight at Diss ,but this came to an abrupt halt when I found that their business was eventually swallowed up by Matthews Freight in Gt.Yarmouth!
Interestingly ,Hamblyn House is now known as Hamley House and has a training organisation based there called CTC.
I cannot find anything about Mr Walsingham,engine tuner from Rickinghall,so if anyone has any clues ,be grateful for any info.
Point of Etiquette:is it acceptable on this forum to PM to any other contributor, without first getting the moderators prior o.k?
Yours in anticipation of a re-modelled Snetterton,
Carrotcruncher.

#27 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 15:37

Point of Etiquette:is it acceptable on this forum to PM to any other contributor, without first getting the moderators prior o.k?

Yes indeed.

#28 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 17:00

No! No! No! Apparently Hamley House and Hamblyn House are two separate properties. The latter is the Street, on the right when heading towards Bury St. Edmunds.

The site of Walsingham's Garage was on the corner of the main road (The Street) and Garden House Lane, this is on the left when facing Bury. The houses there now are known as Walsingham Mews, this is where St. John Horsfall's Fordson van used in Operation Mincemeat was kept.

Wyatt's closed Fridge (sometimes Fridged) Freight for personal reasons. The Foreman there was a Mr. Moore who went on to start his own business; Moore's Refrigerated Container Transport better known as M.R.C.T.

Edited by Leigh Trevail, 16 December 2010 - 13:05.

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 19:11

Wyatt’s closed Fridge (sometimes Fridged) Freight for personal reasons. The Foreman there was a Mr. Moore who went on to start his own business; Moore’s Refrigerated Container Transport better known as M.R.C.T.

Over the years I was pleased to do a great deal of business with Mr Moore and his sons. Nice people, trustworthy in business.
Roger Lund

#30 ollychester

ollychester

• 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 20:44

Billy Walsingham had a Gullwing Mercedes in his garage for a while - I believe the story was that a USAF airman brought it in for repairs then was posted abroad and never returned to collect it.

I was born and brought up in Diss and Billy Walsingham was a good friend of the chap who started the business which dad worked for and then bought - so I've heard stories about him for years. I'm sure my dad will know something more about him, and the Wyatts. I'll ask when I'm back in Diss at christmas, weather permitting.

I was a Snetterton regular growing up - the chaps on the gate used to knock off at 4 so my dad and I used to drive over most Sundays and see the last two or three races of whatever meeting was on.

I'll have an ask around the family and see what I can add to the tales here.

#31 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 15:47

No! No! No! Apparently Hamley House and Hamblyn House are two separate properties. The latter is the Street, on the right when heading towards Bury St. Edmunds.

The site of Walsingham's Garage was on the corner of the main road (The Street) and Garden House Lane, this is on the left when facing Bury. The houses there now are known as Walsingham Mews, this is where St. John Horsfall's Fordson van used in Operation Mincemeat was kept.

Wyatt's closed Fridge (sometimes Fridged) Freight for personal reasons. The Foreman there was a Mr. Moore who went on to start his own business; Moore's Refrigerated Container Transport better known as M.R.C.T.

Thanks Leigh,
once again you have put me back on the right track.Trouble is ,I take what I am told/find out as Gospel truth.My grateful thanks as usual,
Regards and felicitations,
Carrotcruncher. :blush:

#32 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 15:54

Billy Walsingham had a Gullwing Mercedes in his garage for a while - I believe the story was that a USAF airman brought it in for repairs then was posted abroad and never returned to collect it.

I was born and brought up in Diss and Billy Walsingham was a good friend of the chap who started the business which dad worked for and then bought - so I've heard stories about him for years. I'm sure my dad will know something more about him, and the Wyatts. I'll ask when I'm back in Diss at christmas, weather permitting.

I was a Snetterton regular growing up - the chaps on the gate used to knock off at 4 so my dad and I used to drive over most Sundays and see the last two or three races of whatever meeting was on.

I'll have an ask around the family and see what I can add to the tales here.

Thank you ollychester,
all information gratefully recieved and appreciated.Look forward to hearing from you when and if you get back from Diss.When I was a lad I lusted after a Mercedes 300 SL gullwing,never managed to own one........surprise.
Regards to you and yours,
Carrotcruncher.

#33 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 20:41

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There were at least two Gullwings serviced at Walsingham's. My guess is that one of these belonged to local racing driver Peter Woozley.

#34 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 13:13

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There were at least two Gullwings serviced at Walsingham's. My guess is that one of these belonged to local racing driver Peter Woozley.

Thanks ,Leigh,
very informative, I note that the pic was on imageshack us,do you have to search for a specific person or occasion or is it best to be more general in searching? I ask because my previous searches have found some "unusual"if no offensive results,and as I like being married I try to be careful where I am searching!
Appreciate all your help/clues,
Regards,
Carrotcruncher.

#35 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 16:09

The photo comes from my own collection and I used imageshack to post it onto this forum. I have no knowledge of the other content of the imageshack site!

#36 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 19:08

I know several people who done this, the big attraction for them was the bar which was open when the local pubs were all closed!

#37 ollychester

ollychester

• 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 20:36

Just been chatting to my Dad who confirmed something I'd wondered - Walsingham and Riches were old friends of Mr Boggis (dad's former boss) through the local Masonic lodge. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rest of the group were Masons too.

South Norfolk was a very conservative area at the time where people didn't really have extended networks of contacts outside their village and a Masonic connection would explain how a pretty disparate bunch of people managed to find each other to get a circuit built, finding the right landowners and right people at the first attempt.

I know this tips it into bonkers internet theory group, but it does make sense of the beginnings of the group.

#38 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 14:10

Just been chatting to my Dad who confirmed something I'd wondered - Walsingham and Riches were old friends of Mr Boggis (dad's former boss) through the local Masonic lodge. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rest of the group were Masons too.

South Norfolk was a very conservative area at the time where people didn't really have extended networks of contacts outside their village and a Masonic connection would explain how a pretty disparate bunch of people managed to find each other to get a circuit built, finding the right landowners and right people at the first attempt.

I know this tips it into bonkers internet theory group, but it does make sense of the beginnings of the group.

Ollychester,
this well might make great sense ,Ihave a nephew who is a current Mason,AND a Marshal,often at Snetterton, he might be able to shed a little light on this.
Thanks for that line of thought,
Regards,
carrotcruncher.

#39 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 16:00

There maybe something in this Masonic Lodge theory. If you look at the original layout of Snettertons runways they do resemble the compasses of the masons symbol. But there again so did all the WW2 bases around here.

You two can follow that line of investigation if you wish; but I am not buying into it!

Advertisement

#40 ollychester

ollychester

• 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 16:48

There maybe something in this Masonic Lodge theory. If you look at the original layout of Snettertons runways they do resemble the compasses of the masons symbol. But there again so did all the WW2 bases around here.

You two can follow that line of investigation if you wish; but I am not buying into it!

Haha - I don't think there's anything masonic about the circuit - but I think that the Masonic connection between Mr Walsingham and Mr Riches could be why the circuit ended up at Snetterton and not any of the hundreds of other airfields in South Norfolk and North Suffolk.

Snetterton was no better or worse a location than, say, Metfield or Hardwick or Hethel or Eye or Fersfield or any of the others, but it was owned by a farmer who had a connection with Mr Walsingham and maybe other members of the group and hence the site was picked and a deal was struck - they just picked the airfield which was in the hands of someone who was in the same club as the people trying to get the circuit organised - "oh my friend Fred's got an airfield on his farm, he's on the square and will let us use it."

Edited by ollychester, 21 December 2010 - 16:49.

#41 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 17:44

You may well be right but this is how I see it.

John and Ben Wyatt were brothers in the true sense of the word, i.e. they shared the same parents, so no need for a Masonic introduction there. Their father John Wyatt Senior moved from Devon to farm at Quidenham which borders Snetterton Heath, so no need for a formal introduction to Mr. Riches either. John junior and brother Ben end up farming at Thrandeston; which is at the most 4 miles from Rickinghall / Bottesdale and the Hamblyn House. Engineer Billy Walsingham had a garage in Rickinghall a few hundred yards from the Hamblyn House, I doubt if he waited for a formal invite to go for a drink. Also in the parish were the Horsfall family, one of the sons happens to race Aston Martins. The proprietor of Hamblyn House is a racing enthusiast and through his connections with Aston Martins knew Dudley Coram. The Hamblyn House becomes the centre for those interested in fast cars and racing, many of these joined the E.C.M.C. during 1950/51 so the establishment became the clubs meeting place for the area.

After the war Snettertons runways were used to store foodstuff, beans and the like. John Wyatt (Junior) Haulage would have regularly pulled out of here, so reinforcing his link with Fred Riches. Unlike the other airfields you mentioned Snetterton had good access to a main road to London. Eye also was in the running as the Wyatt’s owned part of it but obviously not enough, as an aside Eye Town Council would have been favourable to racing as it included Cavendish Morton and ECMC member Dr. John Barnes.

Some of these men and others in the local racing scene might well have been Mason’s, I have no problem with that idea but they would have known each other anyway!

#42 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 15:25

You may well be right but this is how I see it.

John and Ben Wyatt were brothers in the true sense of the word, i.e. they shared the same parents, so no need for a Masonic introduction there. Their father John Wyatt Senior moved from Devon to farm at Quidenham which borders Snetterton Heath, so no need for a formal introduction to Mr. Riches either. John junior and brother Ben end up farming at Thrandeston; which is at the most 4 miles from Rickinghall / Bottesdale and the Hamblyn House. Engineer Billy Walsingham had a garage in Rickinghall a few hundred yards from the Hamblyn House, I doubt if he waited for a formal invite to go for a drink. Also in the parish were the Horsfall family, one of the sons happens to race Aston Martins. The proprietor of Hamblyn House is a racing enthusiast and through his connections with Aston Martins knew Dudley Coram. The Hamblyn House becomes the centre for those interested in fast cars and racing, many of these joined the E.C.M.C. during 1950/51 so the establishment became the clubs meeting place for the area.

After the war Snettertons runways were used to store foodstuff, beans and the like. John Wyatt (Junior) Haulage would have regularly pulled out of here, so reinforcing his link with Fred Riches. Unlike the other airfields you mentioned Snetterton had good access to a main road to London. Eye also was in the running as the Wyatt’s owned part of it but obviously not enough, as an aside Eye Town Council would have been favourable to racing as it included Cavendish Morton and ECMC member Dr. John Barnes.

Some of these men and others in the local racing scene might well have been Mason’s, I have no problem with that idea but they would have known each other anyway!

Leigh and Ollychester,
thank you both for your enlightening views and information,I do have to agree especially with Leigh about the "masonic" link and shape of snetterton airfield,having been a son of Norfolk for all my life,I would think that the practical aspects of knowing someone who knows someone etc. is much more likelt to be nearer the truth and the jigsaw seems to fit.But I have to say that this ongoing "saga" intrigues me more and more.You must have encyclopaedic knowledge to find such information,my minimal efforts are rather pathetic by comparison.
I remain grateful to you both,and loo k forward to the next episode!
And Ollychester,I do hope that you are able to to spend Christmas with your family,bearing the weather in mind,there are some insane drivers out there.
Please do take care and have a good time,
Regards
carrotcruncher. :clap:

#43 Nifty7

Nifty7

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 20:18

I happened across this forum thread when it was linked to from a thread regarding the naming of Snetterton's corners on the Lotus 7 Club website.
A fascinating read.

My family are not native to Norfolk, I moved here, from Staffordshire, for work back in 1990, so have no direct knowledge of the families and area prior to that date.
However, I live in Kenninghall just a couple of miles south of the track and work in agriculture and so know a number of the names mentioned.
In particular I am good friends with John Wyatt's son and grandsons and had the privilege of meeting Ben Wyatt, before he passed away, at the AMOC Snetterton 50th Anniversary.

I have been chatting tonight about the release of the new circuits corner names, where the Wyatts have once again been overlooked, and in our conversation discovered that in order to be granted a proper circuit race licence (te Fersfield races were only speed trials) Ben Wyatt used his earthworks machinery to build the required earth banks and that John Wyatt was responsible for putting up the money to acquire that first race licence.

I will forward this web address on to John Wyatts family and they may be able to add some further information about the origins of Snetterton as a race track and about Dudley Coram.

#44 Nifty7

Nifty7

• 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:12

I have spoken to Chris Wyatt, John's son and he would like to get in touch with Carrotcruncher. You can email your details to 'wyattengineering@aol.com' if you wish. Many thanks.

#45 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:33

To quote Nifty7 “ Fersfield races were only speed trials”.

To Nifty7. I fully understand your wish and need to remain anonymous if you make comments such as this. This forum is (or was) respected as a source of hard to find information; but is at risk of being devalued by statements such as yours. Do you realise how long it takes to research obscure subjects such as this, you could not even be bothered to use Google which would have put you onto Darrin Galpin’s site. The racing at Fersfield is also mentioned in ‘Archie and the Listers’ (Robert Edwards) and Peter Swinger’s ‘Motor Racing Circuits in England’.

Before you make any more ill informed comments please remember that someone else might be naive enough to believe you.