Photo

Jim Clark driving gloves

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

• 129 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:49

Does anyone know if replica Jim Clark Driving Gloves are made, and if so, the source?

ms

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:52

If you watch this video of Dario Franchitti driving the Clark Lotus 38, posted by B Squared on the Lotus 38 thread, you will see that he is wearing what appear to be Jim Clark gloves - perhaps you could contact him to enquire
http://www.roadandtr...t/dario-s-dream

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:14

If you watch this video of Dario Franchitti driving the Clark Lotus 38, posted by B Squared on the Lotus 38 thread, you will see that he is wearing what appear to be Jim Clark gloves - perhaps you could contact him to enquire
http://www.roadandtr...t/dario-s-dream

They cost 3 guineas in period (£3 3 shillings or 63 shillings or £3 15p in modern currency).

I bought a pair in 1965 in black and I seem to recall that they also did them in brown.

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:34

They cost 3 guineas in period (£3 3 shillings or 63 shillings or £3 15p in modern currency).

I bought a pair in 1965 in black and I seem to recall that they also did them in brown.

The pair I bought were the right size for my hand but were short in the finger & soon burst the stiching! I seem to recall that they were now available on-line possibly the site selling the Jochen Rindt stuff?

:wave:

#5 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:40

Classic Team Lotus were looking into the possibility of having some made for their clothing range. May be worth a call.

#6 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:30

I remember when Jim agreed to have the gloves produced. He was very keen to see that the quality was good. He also did a deal with the Westover company to produce lightweight driving shoes. I have attached a photo I took of him showing off the shoes in the garden at Edington mains. I wonder if anyone has a pair of the shoes left. My ones wore out years ago and someone pinched the pair of gloves he gave me years ago.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:46

Posted Image

Posted Image

'JC' gloves photographed in period by Geoff Goddard. Jack Brabham subsequently put his name to a driving glove, made - inevitably - out of green-dyed kangaroo-skin leather. I was given a pair and wore them to hoon around in my Cortina...until I realised what a young prat I looked. :blush:

Both photos strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 25 November 2010 - 12:46.

#8 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 13:13

Doug, Graham

Lovely, lovely photographs, thank you, quite warmed me through on a cold day.

Never seen the shoe photo before, it could be a 2010 image. Hard to think he'd be in his mid-70s now...

Doug, is the smiling image from Spa, when he's just learned he's won?

Best wishes to you both.

Paul

#9 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 15:57

Interesting thing about the gloves as I'm awaiting a response from my dad regarding Clark and if he ever talked to Jimmy about trying their line of gloves. Back in '67 he worked as a sales manager for an industrial glove firm EDMONT and IIRC they were starting to branch out into the sports arena. All this is from memory so please forgive, but my dad parlayed his love of motor racing and photography into convincing the CEO of the company to let him give a try at marketing some of their golf/sport gloves to the drivers. He took the trip down to Daytona and hence the following photos. I know one of my brothers had a used pair of Andretti's gloves and I probably had a used pair of Amon's gloves, but they've since been lost again to the ages as were all of the autographs that my dad faithfully got, pen and paper always in hand. Anyhew, here's the pics (the last one is from SCHLEGELMILCH PHOTOGRAPHY and apologies if I've breeched any copyright infringements, but the photo shows Bandini at Monaco 1967 wearing the EDMONT gloves that dad had given him).

This is the rep that went to Daytona with my dad showing the Porsche drivers some of the gloves
Posted Image

The following are my dad and some of the drivers that we all know.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

COPYRIGHT SCHLEGELMILCH PHOTOGRAPHY:
Posted Image

#10 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 16:57

Good photos those JJ..............either you are very big or Mario is very little !

#11 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 19:00

A look through some of my old catalogs shows gloves endorsed by Jim Clark ("Made in England by Taran Tella"), John Surtees, Pat Moss/Eric Carlson, Jack Brabham, and Graham Hill.

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 19:09

Doug, Graham

Lovely, lovely photographs, thank you, quite warmed me through on a cold day.

Never seen the shoe photo before, it could be a 2010 image. Hard to think he'd be in his mid-70s now...

Doug, is the smiling image from Spa, when he's just heard he has won?

Paul

Exactly - 1964 Belgian GP, Geoff was at Stavelot when first Gurney coasted to a stop there, out of fuel, and then Jimmy sighed to a halt with the same problem. They were laughing at each other when the PA announcement was made explaining that Jimmy had just won, and Geoff caught the moment that Jimmy heard the news, shooting both black and white and colour, which means he must have been shuffling cameras like lightning...

He wasn't a man who made much fuss about any of his photos but he did always confess to "quite liking" the sequence captured that day. He was always the first to protest he'd just been lucky - standing in the right place at the right time. If I recall correctly, Laurie Morton of 'Motoring News' was also there at the time, and probably two or three others as well...

By the way, isn't Schleg's shot of Bandini simply SUPERB!!!

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 25 November 2010 - 19:23.

#13 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 19:43

Exactly - 1964 Belgian GP, Geoff was at Stavelot when first Gurney coasted to a stop there, out of fuel, and then Jimmy sighed to a halt with the same problem. They were laughing at each other when the PA announcement was made explaining that Jimmy had just won, and Geoff caught the moment that Jimmy heard the news, shooting both black and white and colour, which means he must have been shuffling cameras like lightning...

He wasn't a man who made much fuss about any of his photos but he did always confess to "quite liking" the sequence captured that day. He was always the first to protest he'd just been lucky - standing in the right place at the right time. If I recall correctly, Laurie Morton of 'Motoring News' was also there at the time, and probably two or three others as well...

By the way, isn't Schleg's shot of Bandini simply SUPERB!!!

DCN

Absolutely, the best shot of Bandini I have ever seen.

#14 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 20:42

Absolutely, the best shot of Bandini I have ever seen.

Thirded. Poignant too. Thank you JJ.

#15 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

• 129 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 22:08

My search of the internet for the gloves was a wash. I did send a request to Franchitti's management group. I will let you all know when and if I get a response.

ms

#16 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 22:19

In Jan, 1967, I foolishly traded my '66 Ford Mustang, which I truly loved, in on a '66 Lotus Cortina. Short version of story: Mustang worked, Cortina didn't. Cortina was gone in six months. But that is another story.

The point is that once I explained to my Dad what a Lotus was and what it had in common with Jim Clark (also had to explain who Clark was), Dad surprised me greatly by sending away for a pair of Jim Clark driving gloves for my use in driving the Lotus. Black, supple leather, snap back, etc. I must have had those for ten or 15 years until they finally disintegrated. Good gloves.

Tom

#17 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 22:27

I had (may still have somewhere) a pair of "Jackie Stewart" driving gloves. They must have been no later than about 67 vintage and featured velcro fastening... and large ventillation holes in the back, so were not much of a safety asset.

#18 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 23:04

Aside from the glove discussion there are some technically-superb photographs here: Graham's shoe picture, with limited depth of field (yet we can still recognise JC), the "sales rep" shot, the "hand-over product shot" (with cowboys and mechanic in background) and the the Lorenzo image. I'm astounded by the quality of the photos which crop up on this forum.

Amazing. :clap:

#19 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:22

Does anyone know if replica Jim Clark Driving Gloves are made, and if so, the source?

ms

The US catalog company Griot's Garage made replica JC gloves as a limited edition a couple of years back, see the link below for more info. I searched their site and it doesn't look like they're still carrying them though.

http://www.thegentle...gift-guide.html

Advertisement

#20 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:34

Classic Team Lotus are actively looking into making JC driving gloves. I have supplied them with in period photos.

#21 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:08

The US catalog company Griot's Garage made replica JC gloves as a limited edition a couple of years back, see the link below for more info. I searched their site and it doesn't look like they're still carrying them though.

http://www.thegentle...gift-guide.html

Just giving this a bump since I noticed these are available again...

http://www.griotsgar...rPicks&refType=