Photo

1957 & 1962 GPs in colour

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:10

While looking for something else, I stumbled across this Spanish F1 site, with some fine colour pics in its Historic section:

http://clubf1.es/vie...php?f=8&t=13246

As well as capturing the atmosphere so well, they reminded me how good looking those last front-engined GP cars were. I was also pleased to see the rear-end of the paternal Wolseley 1500, parked outside the museum near Rouen that the teams visited in the run-up to the Grand Prix weekend - aopparently spontaneously, without needing any instruction to do so from sponsors or an earlier Ringmaster Bernie (how did they cope without such guidance?!).

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:19

Nice photos of the very old cars as well as the GP racers.
A few pix of Rouen 1962 would have been nice - I was there - but the museum photos of the drivers is good enough really.

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:33

While looking for something else, I stumbled across this Spanish F1 site, with some fine colour pics in its Historic section:

As well as capturing the atmosphere so well, they reminded me how good looking those last front-engined GP cars were. I was also pleased to see the rear-end of the paternal Wolseley 1500, parked outside the museum near Rouen that the teams visited in the run-up to the Grand Prix weekend - aopparently spontaneously, without needing any instruction to do so from sponsors or an earlier Ringmaster Bernie (how did they cope without such guidance?!).

.........Have you fished out those motor racing home movies yet Tony ? :wave:

#4 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:43

These appeared on 10/10th's last year, posted by the owner.

http://www.ten-tenth...ad.php?t=110352

It's worth having a look at some of the other threads he's started of other races :)

#5 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:49

.........Have you fished out those motor racing home movies yet Tony ? :wave:

Thanks for the reminder, Richard - still sitting in a box at the back of a very cold garage ...

#6 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 19:46

The Monza '57 shots, specifically the Vanwall ones (and perhaps the other ones too) were taken by Brian Joscelyne and appear in Ed McDonough's book Vanwall Green for Glory.

I wonder if he is aware of this.

#7 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 20:34

The Monza '57 shots, specifically the Vanwall ones (and perhaps the other ones too) were taken by Brian Joscelyne and appear in Ed McDonough's book Vanwall Green for Glory.

I wonder if he is aware of this.

As I read post #4, he is.

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 20:59

Posted Image
The young guy in the blue jacket with the camera is Jim Sitz:

The following comes from Willem Oosthoek:

Good to see my old friend Jim Sitz appear in various Monza photos. He is wearing a blue windbreaker and carries a Hasselblat camera.

After three days of picture taking he must have had some wonderful coverage. Alas, later on in Italy the rolls and camera were stolen.

photo site as viewed by Paul Parker

Courtesy of the Spanish F-1 site.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 01 December 2010 - 01:07.

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 21:06

...apparently spontaneously, without needing any instruction to do so from sponsors or an earlier Ringmaster Bernie (how did they cope without such guidance?!).

But do I spot Ringmaster Rivers Fletcher in a couple of shots?

#10 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 22:13

Posted Image
The young guy in the blue jacket with the camera is Jim Sitz:

The following comes from Willem Oosthoek:

Good to see my old friend Jim Sitz appear in various Monza photos. He is wearing a blue windbreaker and carries a Hasselblat camera.

After three days of picture taking he must have had some wonderful coverage. Alas, later on in Italy the rolls and camera were stolen.

photo as posted by Paul Parker:

Courtesy of the Spanish F-1 site.

I did not post any photo, nor did I open the 10/10ths link on post 4 before I sent in my post concerning Brian Joscelyne.

What a loss the Jim Sitz pictures are, I wonder if anybody has got them even now somewhere in the proverbial dusty drawer or desk.