Alonso Vs. Massa 2010 Retrospective

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:07

Got a chuckle after reading this! :)

"It's probably the biggest gap that I have ever had to a team-mate and that makes me happy because of the results that I've had over the past years," said Alonso.

"My level of driving is better than ever and I hope I can keep it up next year."

Now that the 2010 season is history, looks like the psychological wars for 2011 superiority at Ferrari have already begun. Fernando appears to be making sure that Felipe doesn't regain his footing. Alonso's commitment to exploiting ANy advantage truly marks him as a winner in my book.

Advertisement

#2 madrocker

madrocker

• 122 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 13:34

begun early it has[/yoda]

#3 dr funkenstein

dr funkenstein

• 80 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 13:39

This is going to turn into an Alonso-bashing thread in no time....

#4 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 13:47

This is going to turn into an Alonso-bashing thread in no time....

Too late. It started out that way. :cool:

#5 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 13:50

Found this on PF1
F1 Wikileaks :D

Fernando Alonso on Felipe
"I don't know if he can do anything on his own any more. Rob Smedley tells him to do this and do that in a race. It's embarrassing. If they didn't have that long line of girls on the way to the podium he probably wouldn't find his way there as he needs Rob to hold his hand."

Felipe Massa on Fernando
"I have cousins like Fernando who always need to get their own way. But they are six and seven. There's a joke at Ferrari that no-one will go to McDonalds with Fernando any more in case he gets the wrong toy in the Happy Meal..."

http://www.planetf1....y-Own-Wikileaks

#6 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:17

Found this on PF1
F1 Wikileaks :D

Fernando Alonso on Felipe
"I don't know if he can do anything on his own any more. Rob Smedley tells him to do this and do that in a race. It's embarrassing. If they didn't have that long line of girls on the way to the podium he probably wouldn't find his way there as he needs Rob to hold his hand."

Felipe Massa on Fernando
"I have cousins like Fernando who always need to get their own way. But they are six and seven. There's a joke at Ferrari that no-one will go to McDonalds with Fernando any more in case he gets the wrong toy in the Happy Meal..."

http://www.planetf1....y-Own-Wikileaks

LOL how many people will think they are serious and not read the post properly?

Fernandos just setting his stall out early, he wants Massa as his number 2 and hes trying to make sure the team see it that way from Bahrain.

#7 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:24

The softer Pirelli tyres should suit drivers like Massa and Button more next year, especially in qualifying. Alonso should be careful when counting all his chicks before the eggs have hatched.

#8 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:35

Alonso has seen the results of the Pirelli test, and realises Massa will be more of a challenge next year, so is getting his blows in early.

#9 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:40

These are spoof quotes :lol:

#10 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 575 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:40

I wouldn't trust Planetf1.

But Alonso is smart, it starts with the mind and then on the track. That I like.

#11 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:42

If Massa is more competitive next year then I'm curious to see how all the people who said that Massa wasn't the same after his accident will react.

#12 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 15:09

I don't get why he feels the need to do this but obviously he can and isn't bothered about bashing his teammate in the media so he's welcome to.

Obviously setting himself up for a big fall though if Massa is quicker than him next year.

#13 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 15:52

I wouldn't trust Planetf1.

Facepalm gif needed.

Anyways, I think y'all are reading too much into things. Seems to me that Alonso is just proud of beating a rated driver like Massa in his first season with the team and wants to continue performing to this level. There doesn't have to be hidden intentions behind something like this or anything, after all. Its not the most humble thing to say, but its ok to be a bit proud of yourself every once in a while. I wouldn't classify it as arrogant or anything, especially since you dont often hear Alonso bragging about how much he beat somebody else.

And it could very well be that the reporter asked him a question that would have led directly to an answer like this. I doubt its just Alonso coming out with a press release all on his own about how good he thinks he is.

I don't get why he feels the need to do this but obviously he can and isn't bothered about bashing his teammate in the media so he's welcome to.

Obviously setting himself up for a big fall though if Massa is quicker than him next year.

He's not saying Massa drove like crap, he's saying that he thinks he's on top of his own game. There's a difference.

And how is he setting himself up for a fall? He says very specifically that he HOPES he can perform to the same level next year, not that he DEFINITELY will. What you probably meant to say is that YOU'RE setting him up for a fall next year if Massa is quicker than him.  ;)

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 December 2010 - 15:54.

#14 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:10

If Massa is more competitive next year then I'm curious to see how all the people who said that Massa wasn't the same after his accident will react.

Gladness?

#15 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:15

And how is he setting himself up for a fall? He says very specifically that he HOPES he can perform to the same level next year, not that he DEFINITELY will. What you probably meant to say is that YOU'RE setting him up for a fall next year if Massa is quicker than him. ;)

Yeah and I'm sure no part of him was trying to rub Massa's face in the fact that he comprehensively outperformed him in the second half of the season...........

#16 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:24

Facepalm gif needed.

Anyways, I think y'all are reading too much into things. Seems to me that Alonso is just proud of beating a rated driver like Massa in his first season with the team and wants to continue performing to this level. There doesn't have to be hidden intentions behind something like this or anything, after all. Its not the most humble thing to say, but its ok to be a bit proud of yourself every once in a while. I wouldn't classify it as arrogant or anything, especially since you dont often hear Alonso bragging about how much he beat somebody else.

:rotfl: :up:

Nice one, man!

This is Alonso thumping his chest after he failed to deliver in the last race of the year. He is most definately arrogant as a person, IMHO, and he definately does not want a competitive teammate. The mind games have already begun. I hope Felipe can gain form, as it was he who struggeled, not Alonso whom improved this year. IMHO.  ;)

#17 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:27

Well if you look at the stats, Massa is actually one of Alonso's closest team-mates, so he has a short memory :p (although we already knew that when he said that Korea 2010 was his first wet win when he had won Nurburgring 2007)

Percentage of Alonso's Points:

2010 - Massa 57%
2009 - Piquet/Grosjean 0%
2007 - Hamilton 100%
2008 - Piquet 31%
2006 - Fisichella 54%
2005 - Fisichella 44%
2004 - Trulli 78%
2003 - Trulli 60%
2001 - Marques/Yoong n/a

Now that the 2010 season is history, looks like the psychological wars for 2011 superiority at Ferrari have already begun. Fernando appears to be making sure that Felipe doesn't regain his footing. Alonso's commitment to exploiting ANy advantage truly marks him as a winner in my book.

So if it turned out that Alonso was fully in on Singapore 2008, you wouldn't care?

#18 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:27

The softer Pirelli tyres should suit drivers like Massa and Button more next year, especially in qualifying. Alonso should be careful when counting all his chicks before the eggs have hatched.

James Allen was saying something different... The new Pirelli s should favour Hamilton, Schumacher, Alonso and also Massa, but Button could be in problems...

#19 e34

e34

• 762 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:42

Facepalm gif needed.

And it could very well be that the reporter asked him a question that would have led directly to an answer like this. I doubt its just Alonso coming out with a press release all on his own about how good he thinks he is.

He's not saying Massa drove like crap, he's saying that he thinks he's on top of his own game. There's a difference.

And how is he setting himself up for a fall? He says very specifically that he HOPES he can perform to the same level next year, not that he DEFINITELY will. What you probably meant to say is that YOU'RE setting him up for a fall next year if Massa is quicker than him. ;)

I copy here what I wrote at the Alonso's thread, because it may clear some things.

This is the quote appearing in Autosport.com

"It's probably the biggest gap that I have ever had to a team-mate and that makes me happy because of the results that I've had over the past years," said Alonso.
"My level of driving is better than ever and I hope I can keep it up next year."

It is taken, as they say, from an interview with Onda Cero radio. Alonso was asked about how Brazil 07 and Abu Dhabi 2010 were different, and he was saying that this year the bonding with the team is fantastic, that everytime he gets a win it is specially rewarding, thinking in the people back at Italy who work night and day, and that he is sure that there will many happy moments in the future.

Then the journalist asks:

But the feeling, at least among Spanish fans, is that the driver has been better than the machine.
No, I believe… we are a team, aren’t we? Probably the difference with my teammate this year has been big, maybe the biggest one I have enjoyed so far, and that makes me happy to some extent, because I came from two seasons, 2008 and 2009, in which my personal results had not been noteworthy, and in 2010 I felt great again and at ease with the car, and I think that my driving has been better than ever, and I wish I could remain at the same level next year.

But to put it in another way, it would have been very difficult to understand that Red Bull let the championship slip away... It is the same thing, but from another point of view...
Well they have dominated clearly this 2010 championship, there is no point in denying it. We acknowledged it, probably our car has not been as competitive in certain circuits as the Red Bull, but even so, many times, thanks to the effort of the team and to the way of approaching GPs we got good results and many points, and the challenge for next year is having a competitive car, at their level or above their level, because that is what should always be expected from Ferrari, and if we get that, with the team that we have, we will be able to challenge for the championship in an easier way.

IMO, he was trying to stress that, although he had good results through the year, the car and the team were also fantastic and that they were paramount in the results he got. When you hear the interview, you don't get the idea that he is out for Massa at all. As almost always in Spain, journalists try to big him up, constantly saying how good he is, and trying to stirr a little controversy with McLaren and Briatore. It is Alonso the one who downplays a little bit his role and stresses the importance the team has had to get to Abu Dhabi with chances to get the WDC.

IMHO, this is just another storm in a cup of tea.

Advertisement

#20 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:47

Pointless thread...

Let's compare some drivers who have an equal chance of racing  ;)

#21 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:19

Alonso is not stupid, highlighting the gap to Massa is either deliberate mind games or a clear sign of a lack of respect.

I actually read the comments differently. Coupled with the quotes attributed to Stefano recently, I see Alonso trying to goad Massa into a performance. Both he and Stefano know that for Fernando to win the WDC he needs a competitive team mate. A competitive team mate will take points of the competition and peg the gap to the rest.

It is definitely mind games. How Felipe reacts will be more telling. Will he up his game or withdraw into his shell?

Let's see :cat:

#22 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:28

I would think Alonso would want a teammate that is quicker and more consistant then post head prang Massa currently is. Someone at least quick enough to guard the back gate, perhaps M Schumacher would like the Massa / Rubens seat at Ferrari as he might just have enough speed left to fill the bill... nevermind he is to slow, so who should they get?
Could be any current driver as they are all #2's when compaired to Alonso.

Hamilton: No cannot play well with others, will not live up to inter team agreements. Big mouth
Massa: Too slow and inconsistant
Button : Could be OK
Schumacher M: To slow
Vettel: Happy where he is also too imature and error prone
Webber: Could be a good choice
RK: Quickest other then Alonso I feel he is the best option
Nick H: Would be a good choice
All the others are to slow or to eratic or both

#23 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:30

How can anyone be surprised anymore by what Alonso is spewing out?

He's arrogance and megalomania on two legs.

I swear, he wouldn't have anything against having a cult bearing his name. Oh wait...

#24 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:47

Oh, man, I can't stand Alonso, I really can't. Shut up and drive.

#25 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:50

Yeah and I'm sure no part of him was trying to rub Massa's face in the fact that he comprehensively outperformed him in the second half of the season...........

Yup. Some people see the 2 the plus sign another 2 the equal sign and are amazed others come up with a 4.

Edited by cardin, 01 December 2010 - 18:03.

#26 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:03

The more the haters hate Alonso the better i like Alonso. So pile on the drivel, every angst filled rant brings me pure joy.
Please, lets have more Alonso bashing it is a grey day here in Toronto and I could use a laugh or three

#27 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:17

Alonso could at least have deducted the 14 points he was handed in Germany from that difference.

#28 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:32

Yeah my first reaction was surely he had better gaps when he was with people like Piquet and all those other Renault failures, then I realised he wasn't really scoring much himself so the points gap in that sense wasn't much.

Then I was like, alright well at least take off 7 points for what happened in Germany.

Then I was also thinking how the new points system might be giving him some misleadings...

#29 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:38

I copy here what I wrote at the Alonso's thread, because it may clear some things.

This is the quote appearing in Autosport.com

It is taken, as they say, from an interview with Onda Cero radio. Alonso was asked about how Brazil 07 and Abu Dhabi 2010 were different, and he was saying that this year the bonding with the team is fantastic, that everytime he gets a win it is specially rewarding, thinking in the people back at Italy who work night and day, and that he is sure that there will many happy moments in the future.

Then the journalist asks:

But the feeling, at least among Spanish fans, is that the driver has been better than the machine.
No, I believe… we are a team, aren’t we? Probably the difference with my teammate this year has been big, maybe the biggest one I have enjoyed so far, and that makes me happy to some extent, because I came from two seasons, 2008 and 2009, in which my personal results had not been noteworthy, and in 2010 I felt great again and at ease with the car, and I think that my driving has been better than ever, and I wish I could remain at the same level next year.

But to put it in another way, it would have been very difficult to understand that Red Bull let the championship slip away... It is the same thing, but from another point of view...
Well they have dominated clearly this 2010 championship, there is no point in denying it. We acknowledged it, probably our car has not been as competitive in certain circuits as the Red Bull, but even so, many times, thanks to the effort of the team and to the way of approaching GPs we got good results and many points, and the challenge for next year is having a competitive car, at their level or above their level, because that is what should always be expected from Ferrari, and if we get that, with the team that we have, we will be able to challenge for the championship in an easier way.

IMO, he was trying to stress that, although he had good results through the year, the car and the team were also fantastic and that they were paramount in the results he got. When you hear the interview, you don't get the idea that he is out for Massa at all. As almost always in Spain, journalists try to big him up, constantly saying how good he is, and trying to stirr a little controversy with McLaren and Briatore. It is Alonso the one who downplays a little bit his role and stresses the importance the team has had to get to Abu Dhabi with chances to get the WDC.

IMHO, this is just another storm in a cup of tea.

Your opinion is spot-on, too.

Its a shame that your post has, and will continue to go completely unnoticed by the Massa fans/Alonso bashers. Thanks for posting. Alonso tends to be one of the more humble drivers in terms of what he says to the media from what I've seen. No doubt he KNOWS he's good, but he doesn't like to go bragging about it like some other drivers do.

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 December 2010 - 18:44.

#30 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:40

I would think Alonso would want a teammate that is quicker and more consistant then post head prang Massa currently is. Someone at least quick enough to guard the back gate, perhaps M Schumacher would like the Massa / Rubens seat at Ferrari as he might just have enough speed left to fill the bill... nevermind he is to slow, so who should they get?
Could be any current driver as they are all #2's when compaired to Alonso.

Hamilton: No cannot play well with others, will not live up to inter team agreements. Big mouth
Massa: Too slow and inconsistant
Button : Could be OK
Schumacher M: To slow
Vettel: Happy where he is also too imature and error prone
Webber: Could be a good choice
RK: Quickest other then Alonso I feel he is the best option
Nick H: Would be a good choice
All the others are to slow or to eratic or both

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#31 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:45

The more the haters hate Alonso the better i like Alonso. So pile on the drivel, every angst filled rant brings me pure joy.
Please, lets have more Alonso bashing it is a grey day here in Toronto and I could use a laugh or three

It is pretty enjoyable isn't it? It's like the gift that keeps giving. I guess the next thing will be is that Fernando didn't send out enough Christmas cards. :rotfl:

On a more serious note. I hope Massa returns to his old form. I really don't know what happened to him this year.

#32 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:47

I really don't know what happened to him this year.

He was paired with a better driver.

#33 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:49

He was paired with a better driver.

I can agree with that, but I still think Massa is more capable then he showed.

#34 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:56

Your opinion is spot-on, too.

Its a shame that your post has, and will continue to go completely unnoticed by the Massa fans/Alonso bashers. Thanks for posting. Alonso tends to be one of the more humble drivers in terms of what he says to the media from what I've seen. No doubt he KNOWS he's good, but he doesn't like to go bragging about it like some other drivers do.

But why does he have to bring Massa into the conversation? I've been watching F1 a very long yet cannot ever remember a driver making such a comment about his current team mate.

If you take the comments at face value, perhaps add in the radio feed where he was planning Massa's race in Abu Dhabi, then one could assume that he has little respect for Massa.

In my mind Massa is the fool. He should be out of there like a shot.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:56

I can agree with that, but I still think Massa is more capable then he showed.

I could say the same for Alonso.

#36 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:57

Gladness?

Or better yet: admit that Massa is the same as he was before the accident.

#37 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:00

It is pretty enjoyable isn't it? It's like the gift that keeps giving. I guess the next thing will be is that Fernando didn't send out enough Christmas cards. :rotfl:

On a more serious note. I hope Massa returns to his old form. I really don't know what happened to him this year.

"Alonso eats live babies"

I heard the story from a guy that heard the news form his friend's uncle who's best mate read it in the "News of the World" They quoted unnamed sources as saying that Alonso ... lol

I also wish Massa could get back to his pre prang self but I fear he has lost it and now only shows flashes of his former self, almost like he is starting again and is back to the days when he could “not even drive in a straight line.”

#38 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:01

But why does he have to bring Massa into the conversation? I've been watching F1 a very long yet cannot ever remember a driver making such a comment about his current team mate.

If you take the comments at face value, perhaps add in the radio feed where he was planning Massa's race in Abu Dhabi, then one could assume that he has little respect for Massa.

He doesn't HAVE to bring Massa into the conversation, but he did. It wasn't some premeditated, preplanned mindgame or anything, though. Read the whole interview as posted, and the context seems pretty obvious. If you want to continue reading more into it, then fine, but if you have an ounce of reasonableness in you, then hopefully you'll realize that the comments were taken a bit out of context and that the reactions here are a bit knee-jerk, including yours.

And you say you dont remember a driver talking about their performance compared to their teammate? Seriously? I could probably dig up half a dozen quotes just between the two Red Bull drivers this year.

#39 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:04

He will be very lucky not to get booted. No team other then Ferrari would employ him as an F1 driver in his current state and Ferrari are only doing so out of some misguided sense loyalty to the “good Lad” Just MHO

Advertisement

#40 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:05

It's an old and silly tactics, if you can't argue with what other people are saying just call them bashers and haters. Besides your post sounds maniacal.

#41 Flexa

Flexa

• 428 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:06

It'd be good if we could discuss in an unbiased and educated manner thus certainly productive. Unfortunately, I fear the thread will end up going down the hill as people get sarcastic/ironic at each other with that passive-agressive fashion, sadly. :(

Besides, dare I say, Massa has possibly more neutral forum members willing to discuss, develop, and argument here (this, of course, in case he achieves some success, to begin with) than his own fanbase itself (even if, for start anyways, it isn't comparable to the ones that for example: Fernando, Lewis, etc... do rightfully enjoy!) remarking at the moment, it seems. Altough, perhaps having more of both sides may mean a risk, it also surely would bring a better diversity in terms of points of views and information, what this thread could hopefully benefit from, even if at times tending to divert strictly subjective.

Edit: Excuses, fixing some typos!

Edited by Flexa, 01 December 2010 - 19:13.

#42 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:10

It's an old and silly tactics, if you can't argue with what other people are saying just call them bashers and haters. Besides your post sounds maniacal.

After a certain amount of arguing/debating, its hard to avoid the conclusion that some people just ARE bashers/haters and aren't worth debating with because of it. Its very hard to have any rational discussion with people who are so completely unwilling to be reasonable about things due to their obvious bias.

#43 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:18

After a certain amount of arguing/debating, its hard to avoid the conclusion that some people just ARE bashers/haters and aren't worth debating with because of it. Its very hard to have any rational discussion with people who are so completely unwilling to be reasonable about things due to their obvious bias.

After a certain amount of arguing/debating, its hard to avoid the conclusion that some people just ARE too blind and fanboish and aren't worth debating with because of it. Its very hard to have any rational discussion with people who are so completely unwilling to be reasonable about things due to their obvious bias.

#44 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:22

After a certain amount of arguing/debating, its hard to avoid the conclusion that some people just ARE too blind and fanboish and aren't worth debating with because of it. Its very hard to have any rational discussion with people who are so completely unwilling to be reasonable about things due to their obvious bias.

By all means bash his supporters as well, perhaps you could find out where he gets his hair cut and take umbrage with the barber.

#45 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:24

Exactly.  ;)

#46 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:29

No one is bashing Alonso, he has made the comment and the rest of us are discussing it. The Autosport main page carried the story as did the BBC. Alonso has said what he said and I for one am just taking it at face value - I'm not bashing.

What would you think for example if;

- Lewis said I was very pleased with my performance especially as I was able to add the current WDC to the last WDC that I beat in the classification. Jenson's despite a number of dnf's

- Or Rosberg said he was very pleased to join a new team with Ross as Michael's mentor and still be able to comfortably out perform him

- Or Vettel to say that he beat Webber despite the mind games rubbish

You would be right if you said it lacked class.

#47 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:35

No one is bashing Alonso, he has made the comment and the rest of us are discussing it. The Autosport main page carried the story as did the BBC. Alonso has said what he said and I for one am just taking it at face value - I'm not bashing.

- Lewis said I was very pleased with my performance especially as I was able to add the current WDC to the last WDC that I beat in the classification. Jenson's despite a number of dnf's

- Or Rosberg said he was very pleased to join a new team with Ross as Michael's mentor and still be able to comfortably out perform him

- Or Vettel to say that he beat Webber despite the mind games rubbish

You would be right if you said it lacked class.

Rosberg HAS talked about how he's happy to have beaten Schumacher this year like he did. Vettel HAS talked about how he beat Webber and vice versa.

And yes, plenty of people are bashing Alonso. You may not like it being called out like that, but thats pretty much what it is. People are trying to turn it into Alonso purposefully and intentionally bashing Massa, when the full interview posted(and ignored) shows that its not the case at all. I think it was obvious even without the added context, but then again, I dont villainize the guy like some of you do. Dont get me wrong, I dont like Alonso that much as a person. I think he whines too much and he tends to have a bit of a persecution complex at times, but this bashing in this thread is fairly uncalled for if you ask me.

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 December 2010 - 19:36.

#48 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:36

I honestly don't get it how Alonso can say this was his best year ever. He hasn't won the WDC, he has made more mistakes in his 2010 season than any other in his career. Sure he smashed Massa but it was more a case of Massa driving bad than Alonso driving good. I would like to know what he is smoking...

And I am pretty sure Massa will not have another repeat of 2010 in his next season. Alonso might have to eat his words next season.

#49 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:44

Ok, this is the question and answer;

Read into this answer whichever way you want, but the way I read it he is agreeing with the question, namely that he has out driven the car. But instead of batting with a straight bat he uses Massa's performance as a yardstick. In other words he is saying the gap to my team mate is huge, the biggest in my career - but we are a team bla blah - so if Massa is the performance of the car, he has out performed it.

Clever use of language, some might say he was being moddest, but he managed to answer the question and disrespected his team mate at the same time. Did he do it on purpose? probably not, but he managed to answer the question positively without coming across as arrogant - he failed!

You probably still don't get it, becuase I'm bashing him :rolleyes:

#50 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:51

That would be a nice 'what if' game. What would it take for some people here to start to see Alonso as the ahole he really is ? But if the crap that he has been doing and saying in the last four years is not enough, I pretty much doubt that there's anything offensive he can do or say that will change their minds.