137 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:14

Latest press release from Race Retro organisers:

Race Retro Newsletter 1
Get in Pole Position!
As the 2010 motorsport season comes to a close, the Race Retro team is already way ahead with planning for our 2011 event which is at the earlier time of Fri 25th to Sun 27th February. We’ve got then most amazing line up of vehicles ever and are still working on getting a couple of blinders never seen in the UK before. Plus we’ve invited some of the biggest names in classic motorsport!
Tickets are on sale now! Why not book in advance and save a few quid or better still buy them as a Christmas present for your nearest and dearest. To book tickets, click here. Please quote code RREN when booking by phone or web.
Celebrate 50 years of the big cat!
Join us to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar E-Type’s illustrious career in motorsport. There will be an amazing display of competition E-Types, along with other competition Jaguars including an XK120, C-Type, D-Type, MkII saloons and an XJ12C. The guest list of well known Jaguar drivers is already being put together with invites offered to some of the greatest names in racing history. Both drivers and back room staff are expected to make appearances throughout the weekend.
We’re talking Italian
When it comes to two-wheels, we’re talking Italian at Race Retro 2011. Benelli, Ducati, Gilera, MV Agusta and Moto Guzzi have constantly wowed fans with their sound, their looks and their appearance. Along the way attracting the best riders, further cementing their place in the pantheons of motorcycle competition history. Establishing numerous records and winning key events, Italian motorcycles have consistently battled with bikes from other countries to establish two-wheeled supremacy, particularly in road racing: in 1957 a Gilera 500, in the hands of Bob McIntyre, became the first bike to post a 100mph Isle of Man TT lap.
Think Rally, Think Lancia
Think rallying, think Lancia! That’s why it will be our celebrated Rally marque for 2011. For decades the Italian car-maker, famous for its Fulvia, Stratos and 037 models, has been associated with one of the toughest forms of motor sport, which tests a car’s strength and durability to the max over many gruelling miles and hours.
There will be a magnificent static Lancia display in the Rally Hall (Hall 1) but it’s on the Live Rally Stage, sponsored by Hero, where the magic will come to life. The newly designed course proved a hit in 2010 with the drivers and visitors alike and the organisers are hoping to ‘up the ante’ once again with more modifications.

Don’t forget tickets are on sale and by booking in advance, you can save money. To book tickets, go to http://www.raceretro...c...5&ParentID=. Please quote code RREN when booking by phone or web.

Why not…
You can follow us on Twitter and Facebook and get the latest news and inside show gossip as it happens. You can also watch footage from previous years on our YouTube channel too. Race Retro would like to thank its sponsors and official partners.

Advertisement

#2 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 16:13

All this AND Ferret Fotographics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:38

Bump!

I'll be there on the Friday and maybe the Saturday. Anyone else going?

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:42

I'll be there on the Friday - I assume we'll be having our usual TNF get-together.

Edited by Tim Murray, 17 January 2011 - 16:43.

#5 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:54

I'll be there on Friday. It would be good to meet some TNFers!

#6 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 17:41

Friday for me too. :)

Edit: Saturday, actually; see later post........

Edited by elansprint72, 18 January 2011 - 15:30.

#7 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 18:00

Hopefully making my first visit to Retro on the friday :)

#8 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:18

Count me in on the Friday :)

PAR

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:37

Friday for me (assuming I can get a lift :) )

#10 IanG

IanG

• 57 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:38

I'll be there on Friday. It would be good to meet some TNFers!

Pete,
Friday has no live action. In that case I may be there Saturday/Sunday which includes Rallying with Group 'B'

#11 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:00

That'll be the venue for those unforgettable sites and sounds from the past then.

Websight here:

Race Retro info

Edited by Pullman99, 17 February 2011 - 06:45.

#12 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:11

Friday for me (assuming I can get a lift :) )

Usual time?

#13 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:11

Friday has no live action. In that case I may be there Saturday/Sunday which includes Rallying with Group 'B'

Had not noticed that; so I'll now be there Saturday!

#14 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:18

Had not noticed that; so I'll now be there Saturday!

I usually go on the Saturday - on the basis that it has live action on the rally stage, and they can't break all the interesting cars BEFORE they start playing - but this year seems to clash with the Pom, so may have to opt for the Sunday after all.

#15 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 22:55

Usual time?

Sounds good to me :up:

#16 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:21

Meeting point on my Stand as usual ???? P29 Hall 3

#17 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:30

What is the "usual" time - on Friday?

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:13

For the last couple of years (at least) the Friday rendezvous has been 1-00 pm at Ted's, so, unless anyone objects, shall we settle on that for this year?

#19 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:08

Dad and I are going on the Saturday, I think.

Advertisement

#20 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 14:46

Latest from the organisers:

Race Retro welcomes Johnny Herbert Motorsport legend Johnny Herbert will make his Race Retro debut on Sunday 27th February. Johnny will be interviewed on our main stage in Hall 3 as well as signing autographs and answering your questions. He’ll then appear at the wheel of an historic kart on the Live Rally Stage.

From winning the 1985 Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch in a single-seater to driving for some of the biggest names on Formula One, Johnny has seen it all. Even after his F1 career ended, Johnny has kept racing is various disciplines including karting. He is a truly a motorsport legend.

Moto Guzzi V8 makes rare UK appearance. A real piece of two wheeled exotica will make a rare UK appearance at this year’s Race Retro - the Moto Guzzi V8 motorcycle, a fire-breathing eight cylinder 500cc racing machine. Developed in the mid-1950s, the multi-cylinder racer had 80 horsepower, could best 180mph and revved to 12,500rpm! Despite varying success the bike enjoyed a cult status that continues to this day. Owner Giuseppe Todero will be running starting up this two-wheeled technical tour-de-force every day during the show’s new-for-2011 Fire Up Paddock, sponsored by Ace Cafe London, where it will come up close to bike enthusiasts of all ages.

Lancia Legend Biasion on Live Rally Stage. Rally driving legend Miki Biasion will be in action on the Live Rally Stage, sponsored by Hero, on Saturday and Sunday. The Italian driver will be driving one of his genuine ex-championship cars - a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v from early 1990s in Martini Racing colours. This is one of the original works cars he drove in period.

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 15:02

For the last couple of years (at least) the Friday rendezvous has been 1-00 pm at Ted's, so, unless anyone objects, shall we settle on that for this year?

I think it is traditional to fail to agree on a time and then to complain that nobody agreed on a time.

#22 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 19:22

And there's more :)

"The Monte Carlo Rally celebrates its centenary this year and Race Retro is marking this motoring milestone with a selection of cars from different decades that have competed in this tough event. From 25-27th February, enthusiasts will be able to admire these amazing marques at Stoneleigh Park, Coventry.

Cars that headed to Monte Carlo from different destinations will be displayed, and while some came first overall, some finished further down the table. They represent the way the rally changed – from gentlemen competitors in large pre-war grand tourers, as exemplified by a 1931 Invicta 4.5-litre driven by Donald Healey that started in Stavanger and finished first overall to a replica of the 1953 winning Ford Zephyr Six driven by Maurice Gatsonides.

Smaller family saloons that also took place on the Monte are represented – there’s the 1966 Morris Mini Cooper S, driven by Timo Makinen and Paul Easter that was first overall but then disqualified on a technical infringement - a judgement that caused uproar in the motoring press as it then ensured a Citroen placed first.

Three British sports cars that entered the Monte are also being shown. The 1962 MGA 1600 entered by East Anglian farmers Donald and Earle Morley takes a bow: The brothers started their MG from Oslo and came 28th overall, and first in class. The 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, crewed by Peter Harper and Ian Hall is proof it wasn’t just circuit racing in which the V8-powered sports car fared well: starting in London they came fourth overall and first in class.

And there’s another car driven by Maurice Gatsonides: a 1959 Triumph TR3A driven by the Dutchman started in Athens and finished 68th overall, giving the Coventry manufacturer a useful leg-up in the car-buying public’s perception.

Adult ticket prices start from just £20 for Friday and Saturday, £15 for Sunday when booking in advance. Children’s tickets are £5 on Friday or Saturday and free on Sunday. Parking is also free throughout. The show is open from 9.30am each day and closes at 5.30pm on Friday and Saturday and 4.30pm on Sunday. To book tickets and for the latest updates, visit www.raceretro.com"

PAR

#23 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 16:48

And there's more still..

There's a big tribute to the Birmingham Superprix, the event which saw racing cars take to the streets of Birmingham and pitted man and machine against the rigours of city roads. As well as three cars which actually competed in the event, there's a selection of posters and memorablia from the Superprix, which - to the dismay of fans - was canned after five years.

Good news for bigears :)

#24 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 19:19

I wonder why it's cheaper on Sunday? I would have thought that would be the main day for most folk.

#25 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 21:39

I wonder why it's cheaper on Sunday? I would have thought that would be the main day for most folk.

All the Group B rally cars will have broken down by then.

Steve

#26 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 14:06

And there's more still..

Good news for bigears :)

Indeed. :)

I am interested to go but I will have to speak to my missus first!

#27 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 17:46

I think it is traditional to fail to agree on a time and then to complain that nobody agreed on a time.

Oh well in that case I can be there then.

#28 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 18:00

I am interested to go but I will have to speak to my missus first!

Can you speak to mine while your at it, bigears??? :cat:

#29 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:35

Note for Press folks- there are different arrangements in place this year; you need to get your bracelet before the event, sent to your home address with parking ticket. If you pitch up without, you will have to pay.

#30 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:14

Well spotted Pete - I hadn't noticed that.

#31 driverider

driverider

• 179 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:48

As well as the glorious sound of the V8 Guzzi we will be firing up the Moto GP Desmosedici Ducati for those with a love for GP engines!

#32 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 23:03

Umm... mine is still to arrive... :confused:

#33 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 23:21

Umm... mine is still to arrive... :confused:

Had an e-mail today saying they'd had admin problems but the passes should be sent out very shortly. Fingers firmly crossed.

#34 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 16:57

As well as the glorious sound of the V8 Guzzi we will be firing up the Moto GP Desmosedici Ducati for those with a love for GP engines!

You'll have to speak up, I'm a trifle..... :smoking:

Any idea what time and where?

#35 driverider

driverider

• 179 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:11

You'll have to speak up, I'm a trifle..... :smoking:

Any idea what time and where?

I am sorry to say I dont know exactly but if you are not entirely 'mutton' you will definitely know when it happens!

I will try to find out where and post it

#36 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:31

Had an e-mail today saying they'd had admin problems but the passes should be sent out very shortly. Fingers firmly crossed.

Wristband and other paraphernalia arrived through my letterbox this morning.

#37 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:12

Mine too

#38 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 15:09

My fingers are crossed for tomorrow's post, then...

#39 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 19:45

They called me this afternoon to confirm my address, my pack will be in the post tomorrow, so no need to panic.

Advertisement

#40 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:36

I'll be there on the Sunday - will make sure I have my TNF badge on!!

#41 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:32

Anyone thinking of going, but who hasn't yet bought their ticket, last notice of discount for booking in advance....

Last chance to bag a bargain!

With less than a week until this year’s Race Retro roars into Stoneleigh Park, there’s still time to save a few quid by buying your ticket in advance!

You’ll save yourself £5 on an adult ticket - which you can then spend on a pint from the Fire Engine bar and still come away with change.

To book tickets, click here (link to booking site). Please quote code RREN when booking by phone or web.

Two wheeled legends Motorcycle legend Sammy Miller MBE is very kindly bringing two corking two wheeled legends to this year’s show from the Sammy Miller Museum, which houses one of the finest collection of fully-restored motorcycles in Europe including many extremely rare. The 1957 500cc Gilera 4 is one of the most World renowned four cylinder racers of the 1950s while the 1953 125cc Reynolds-Mondial went through extensive modifications prior to it being discovered and completely restored by Sammy in 2006. And the man himself is coming along too so he can keep an eye on them so you can meet Sammy and listen to his stories when he is interviewed on the live stage.

Big cats make an entrance! Two stunning E-Type Jaguars will grace the entrance hall the year. The ex-Peter Sutcliffe’s 1963 ‘Lightweight’ Jaguar E-Type Competition Coupe and Lofty England’s E-type Chassis Number 4 will be in the foyer waiting to greet you. This is part of our celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar E-Type and you’ll find more exquisite examples in Hall 2 along Speed Street.

Win a Supercar Track Day! You can still be in with a chance as our competition to win a track day doesn’t close until 23rd Feb. Supercar Lifestyle has five fantastic track driving experiences up for grabs. The only condition is that you are over 29 and love to go fast! Your full high octane day will include, driving the likes of an Oakley Design Porsche 997 GT3, TVR Sagaris 450 Super Sport & a Ferrari F430, to be held at a Midlands based tracks in 2011. The lucky winners will also experience two Incredible hot laps in a fully race prepared ASCARI KZR1 GT3. Follow the link below & enter your details.

Don’t forget tickets are on sale and by booking in advance, you can save money. To book tickets, click http://www2.seeticke...e...ro&filler3=. Please quote code RREN when booking by phone or web.

#42 chevronb37

chevronb37

• 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:42

Looking forward to the Pom on Saturday and Race Retro on Sunday. Great way to start the motor sporting year!

#43 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:27

Looking forward to the Pom on Saturday and Race Retro on Sunday. Great way to start the motor sporting year!

My programme too! Just hope it doesn't snow

#44 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:09

Me too. I don't mind the cold as long as the Pom is dry.

#45 chevronb37

chevronb37

• 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:50

I wholly agree, though I bought a smashing Goodwood Revival umbrella last September which I've been dying to sample out and about so maybe a shower might not be totally unwelcome.. ;)

My first time at the Pom though and really looking forward to seeing what it's all about. RR is more familiar and think we've been every year bar one. Always a more relaxed manner to commence the year than ASI.

#46 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 13:19

No rain please for Pom- made last year a nightmare :(

If you are in the paddock come and say hello

#1 1904 Rochet-Schneider - Tim
#33 MGB - Charlie
#43 Cortina - Adrian
#53 Vx Nova - Brian
#60 PBMW - Steve

You should find us all huddled in a garage somewhere near scutineering

Edited by LittleBertha, 22 February 2011 - 13:19.

#47 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 17:00

I'm assuming this is still the plan. I'm looking forward to meeting TNFers old and new.

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:09

Dad and I are going on the Saturday, I think.

I will be there Saturday with my old friend & fellow marshal from Oulton & Aintree 40 years ago, Mike Godfrey, so please say hi LotusElise. Ian Smith-Diz, will you be about??? :cat:

Edited by Giraffe, 24 February 2011 - 19:09.

#49 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 19:18

I will be there as media, for anyone interested, here is the Rally stage entry list that will be on Saturday and Sunday.

RALLYING WITH GROUP B
RACE RETRO 2011
START LIST

Year Car Driver Championship Colours Identity
~ ~ Porsche Panamera Steve Davies (M) Course Car - Porsche Chester ~

0 1982 Porsche 911 SC Adrian Kermode (G) Porsche Chester ~
1 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale Mikki Biasion (G) WRC Martini UR
2 1985 Opel Manta 400 Russell Brookes (M) British Andrews Heat for Hire WS
3 1992 Subaru Legacy Jimmy McRae (M) WRC Works W
4 1996 Subaru 555 Ryan Champion (M) British 555 UR
5 1986 Austin Rover Metro 6R4 Ali Serpen (M) WRC Computervision W
6 1986 Austin Rover Metro 6R4 John Marwood (M) French Export 33 O
7 1986 Austin Rover Metro 6R4 Lloyd Tredell (M) British Rothmans O
8 1986 Austin Rover Vitesse Adam Keeler (M) European Servis W
9 1986 Ferrari 308 GTB Tony Worswick (M) European Team WS
10 1986 Ford RS 200 Terry Maynard (M) ~ Works W
11 1986 Ford RS 200 Keith Dickens (M) Belgium Belga O
12 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale Justin Law (M) WRC Martini UR
14 1986 Peugeot 205 T16 EVO Kevin Furber (M) American Works O
15 2001 Peugeot 106 Graham Butler (G) British Works O
16 1996 Peugeot 306 Conor Flynn (G) British ~ O
17 1986 Renault 5 Maxi Turbo Neil Brighton (M) WRC Diac R
18 1984 Audi Sport quattro Andy Krinks (M) WRC Works R
19 1984 Talbot Samba John Jarrett (M) WRC Works R
20 1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth Jimmy McRae (M) British Works W
21 1985 Opel Manta 400 Russell Brookes (M) British Andrews Heat for Hire WS
22 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale Mikki Biasion (G) WRC Martini UR
23 1988 Lancia Delta Integrale Rob Whitehouse (M) Italian Totip UR
24 ~ Lancia Fulvia HS Tony Graham (G) ~ ~ ~
25 1971 Alpine A110 Charles Reynolds (M) WRC Works W
26 1973 Chevrolet Firenza Will Sparrow (G) SA Works R
27 1977 Fiat 131 Abarth Tim Parker-Garner (M) WRC Olio Fiat O
28 1978 Vauxhall Chevette HS Stuart Anderson (M) British Works W
29 1978 Triumph TR7 V8 Paul Hunter (M) British Works O
30 1979 Triumph TR7 V8 Chris Brikbeck (M) British Works UR
31 1981 Ford Escort MKII Alan Watkins (M) British Rothmans WS
32 1979 Ford Escort MKII Kevin Vaites (M) British Andrews Heat for Hire WS
33 1977 Ford Escort MKII Tim Bloxham (M) WRC Works W
34 1978 Ford Escort MKII Darrell Taylor (M) British Eaton Yale WS
35 ~ Ford Escort MKII Jim Whelan (G) ~ ~ ~
36 1979 Fiat X19 Prototipo Philip Morton (M) ~ Works R
37 1980 Talbot Sunbeam Lotus Russell Brookes (M) British Andrews Heat for Hire WS
38 1982 Talbot Sunbeam Lotus Julian Burch (M) WRC Works R
39 1980 Talbot Sunbeam Lotus Mike Barratt (M) WRC Works R
40 1978 Vauxhall Chevette HS Jimmy McRae (M) British Works W
41 1979 Vauxhall Chevette HS John Wood (M) British Team W
42 1981 Vauxhall Chevette HSR Gary Gee (M) British Shell Oils R
43 1986 Nissan 240RS ET Tony Walker (M) WRC Marlboro O
44 1988 Ford Sierra Cosworth Jason Lepley (M) WRC Andrews Heat for Hire WS
45 1987 Mercedes 190E Cosworth Jeff Williamson (G) WRC Snowbeck Racing UR
46 ~ Ford Fiesta ST Louise Cook (G) ~ ~ ~
47 ~ Aston Martin V8 Dave Appleby (G) ~ ~ ~
48 1983 Audi quattro A2 John Hanlon (M) Tour de Corse Works W
49 1973 Chevrolet Firenza Mick Strafford (M) SA Works R

50 Reserved Place

M = Member RwB G = Guest
W = Works WS = Works Supported O = Original R = Replica UR = Under Research

#50 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 20:23

A proper list of exhibitors might have persuaded me to go - when there are no displays to attract too many people. A list and a lot of discussion about running cars of the type that destroyed rallying as we knew it won't.

Edited by RS2000, 24 February 2011 - 20:23.