Photo

Ralt connector

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 22:02

I am looking for a connector for my Ralt RT30 1986 with VW Brabham engine. It is the connector to the aluminum box with the ignition system (including Lumenition power module, rectifier, coil, relay, etc.). It is a 9-pin connector that have 6-pins used and it has a shape of a ship/boat. I have heard that this a connector "only" used by Ralt.

Is the connector avalible to get today? Someone that know where I can find such a connector that fits this in the alum. ignition box? What is the trade mark/number/manufactor of the connector?

I am also looking the connector/s for the Lumenition Optical Switches. The 3-pin red rectangular. Someone knows trademark/number/manufactor?

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 23:22

This could be a job for eldougo...

Though the RT30 came well after his time at the Rat Factory.

#3 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,353 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:57

Sure did RAY .I will ask Ron T he might know.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:49

He could do, couldn't he?

You see him often? I gather I'll be seeing him next week too, he'll be at Max's Warwick Farm 50th Anniversary dinner.

#5 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 21:21

Sure did RAY .I will ask Ron T he might know.

It would be great if you could ask and get some info about the Ralt connectors! Looking forward to some info! :D

#6 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:04

Hi,

I raised the issue of your connector with Ron T this morning. His response? 'No idea'!
Sorry about that.
One thing he did say was that there was absolutely no chance it was a connector peculiar to RALT. Ron didn't have such things.

Cheers

Pat

#7 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 18:18

You know, you'll probably have more success if you post a pic, even if it's only of the mating part.

#8 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 18:43

Hi,

I raised the issue of your connector with Ron T this morning. His response? 'No idea'!
Sorry about that.
One thing he did say was that there was absolutely no chance it was a connector peculiar to RALT. Ron didn't have such things.

Cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat for trying. I will continue to look, else I have to change the connector to another connector!

Tkanks, Lars

#9 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 18:53

You know, you'll probably have more success if you post a pic, even if it's only of the mating part.

I don't know how to post a picture. If someone can tell me I will post a picture!

I will try to describe the connector. It is a 9-pin connector, that have a shape as a ship/boat seen from above. The size is approx 10 mm x 40 mm. The pins are organized in 2 rows with 4 pins in each and the 9th pin at the end of the 2 rows, centered. I hope "readers" understand the layout out the design of the connector.

Edited by LB Racing, 09 December 2010 - 20:28.

#10 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 21:30

There's a "sticky" on the home page for the Nostalgia Forum which describes how to post images.

Another thought (though he might not thank me for suggesting it.....) Trevor Carlin ran the parts dept at Ralt when I was there in '86, so maybe he could remember where they came from....

#11 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 20:14

Some more news Lars,

I was talking about your connector with a group of friends yesterday afternoon. One remembered the diagnostic connector on his mid '70s Audi Fox was like that! That seemed a feasible thing, so I suggest you look at VW/Audis from 70s (Before the introduction of the standardised OBDII terminal)

I hope this helps

Cheers

Pat

#12 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 20:45

Some more news Lars,

I was talking about your connector with a group of friends yesterday afternoon. One remembered the diagnostic connector on his mid '70s Audi Fox was like that! That seemed a feasible thing, so I suggest you look at VW/Audis from 70s (Before the introduction of the standardised OBDII terminal)

I hope this helps

Cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat!
I will check with VAG/Audi/VW retailer!

Thanks, Lars!

#13 monoposto

monoposto

• 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 21:01

This sounds like a connector made by a company called Ampliversal and often referred to as an AMP connector. It was a very common connector on F1 cars of the late 70's and 80's and I would guess production cars of March and Ralt etc.

Sources now in UK could be Raceparts ( www.raceparts.co.uk ) or electrical distributors like RS Components and Farnell

#14 monoposto

monoposto

• 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 23:51

You may find what you want here :

http://www.tycoelect...576,17560,17698

in the FASTIN - FASTON range

#15 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:59

Monoposto, thanks a lot for the information. I shall look in to it. Wish me luck! :D

#16 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 19:56

Hi again,

I have now checked with the local Audi/VW supplier and looked for diagnostic connector from an Audi 70's and 80's but with no success.

Any suggestions on any more connectors to look for?

#17 TEDD

TEDD

• 46 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 23:28

Any suggestions on any more connectors to look for?
[/quote]

How about this place http://www.britishwiring.com/

here is a link to a catalog that has multi pin connectors, there is boat shaped conector at the top of the page, and they have 9 pins listed

http://www.britishwi...om/CAT26_27.PDF

#18 LB Racing

LB Racing

• 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:37

TEDD, it looks very good. I will order on at once.

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 13:24

Congratulations...

I'm glad something finally came through for you.