Advertisement

#2 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 14:58

Event now over three days in 2011 :up:

http://www.newspress...amp;pr_ref=2966

PAR

And clashes with British Superbikes at Oulton, so that's me not going this year!

#3 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 18:40

And clashes with British Superbikes at Oulton, so that's me not going this year!

Can I drive the Bentley instead then?

You did look comfortable :)

#4 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 19:13

Donington are scheduled to be bringing four Vanwalls, plus the Thinwall, and a class is planned for 'streamliners'...
Bentley are on board as sponsors for a further year.

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 22:03

As some of you will have read in the latest Motor Sport, a feature will be 'Four-Wheel Drive' Formula 1 cars, with cars from Donington's Collection scheduled to appear i.e. Lotus 63, McLaren M9A, Cosworth-DFV and BRM P67.Not all are runners at present, but Rick Hall hopes to have a number of them in action by the July date. No news yet on whether the Lotus 56B will be in the line-up. The Ferguson is also scheduled to appear, courtesy of its new owner, Stuart Rolt, 50 years on from its Gold Cup win.

#6 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 22:04

No news yet on whether the Lotus 56B will be in the line-up.

Does the 56B have a turbine these days?

Not the easiest car to drive around Cholmondeley.

#7 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 19:18

... and clashes with the VSCC Loton Park; so that's me not going this year!

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:50

Also due to be in attendance are the Rob Walker/Stirling Moss 1961 Lotus 18, 50 years on from its Monaco/Nurburgring victories, and a number of Tyrrells to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the marque's first world championship.

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:53

As the event is now over THREE days I will just be attending on the Friday whilst on the Sunday I will be at Cadwell Park for the Kart Grand Prix meeting.

:wave:

#10 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 22:34

Entry list for the sprint is now up on the POP website.......

http://www.cpop.co.u...track/star-cars

Some interesting cars debuting this year but also a number of very familiar cars there that have appeared too many times for my liking.

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:15

Entry list for the sprint is now up on the POP website.......

http://www.cpop.co.u...track/star-cars

Some interesting cars debuting this year but also a number of very familiar cars there that have appeared too many times for my liking.

Is it me or does that look a bit on the thin side? :well:

#12 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:36

Possibly but then there are also almost fifty bikes to add to the list ! There's also a rally stage this year with it's own seperate entry list ?

#13 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:42

Perhaps a case of trying to run before they can walk? The charges to get in will scare many folks away, I'm afraid.

#14 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 17:54

It does say " here are some of the car entries " ??

PAR

#15 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:07

Ticket prices:

Tickets

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:35

Juha Kankkunen is scheduled to appear with the Bentley Continental with which he recently set a world speed record on ice at 205.48 mph.

#17 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:52

Juha Kankkunen is scheduled to appear with the Bentley Continental with which he recently set a world speed record on ice at 205.48 mph.

This event is skating on thin ice if you ask me. :well:

#18 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 17:48

This event is skating on thin ice if you ask me. :well:

I suggest the Bentley record breaker is really aimed more at the Manufacturer Day on the Friday......

PAR

#19 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 18:30

Ticket prices:

Tickets

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've bought good cars for less than the cost of those tickets! :eek:

Advertisement

#20 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 20:25

I've bought good cars for less than the cost of those tickets! :eek:

I know it's not Goodwood, but £27 for a day out on the Saturday or Sunday doesn't sound unrealistic to me. Exactly half the price of a Festival of Speed ticket. I believe one can pay between £30 and £40 to watch a premiership football game which lasts only 90 minutes with no guarantee that you will see a goal. I rest my case.

#21 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 21:17

As someone/an absolute nobody who has not paid to get into a motor-racing event since Noah were a lad, by one means or another, I have to say that these folks are verging on taking the piss. No doubt they have been well advised by their accountants. :rolleyes:

Edited by elansprint72, 24 May 2011 - 21:18.

#22 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:30

I believe one can pay between £30 and £40 to watch a premiership football game which lasts only 90 minutes with no guarantee that you will see a goal.

And the rest. Chelsea is charging about £85 for 'big' games next season. You can still watch Altrincham for about £12, though, and - sadly - be fairly sure that the opposition will score at least once...

#23 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:00

Goodwood = Chelsea.

Cholmondeley = Altrincham.

Both teams I'm sure are worth watching in their own right but Cholmondeley's prices therefore need some adjustment.

A no frills day ticket for Friday at the FOS costs £37. A POP ticket with paddock access is £27.
I don't need to see Lewis or Jenson & the effone stuff so I needn't pay the premium for Saturday or Sunday at Goodwood.
Last year a kindly TNFer provided me with a pass for Cholmondeley and it was a memorable visit if only for my meeting with Kingsleyrob & Inspector Dreyfus.
If I'm visiting Cheshire, I'd rather save my money for the Gold Cup meeting at Oulton Park.

Edited by Giraffe, 25 May 2011 - 07:32.

#24 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:20

As someone/an absolute nobody who has not paid to get into a motor-racing event since Noah were a lad, by one means or another, I have to say that these folks are verging on taking the piss. No doubt they have been well advised by their accountants. :rolleyes:

Bean-counters - don't you just love 'em! At the moment Cholmondley appears from the outside to have delusions on grandeur and I suspect that they would make more money if they publicised a reduction in ticket prices. I would suggest a £15.00 price tag for Adult Admission with Children Under 15 being charged £5.00. Far easier to deal with on the day and if marketed correctly would see an increase in attendance!

Mind you if they want the "Right crowd and no crowding" maybe it should be £50.00!!!

;)

#25 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:37

I'm going again. I was also kindly given a complimentary ticket last year but I'm prepared to stump up £27 this time as I still think it's reasonable value.

#26 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:14

. I would suggest a £15.00 price tag for Adult Admission with Children Under 15 being charged £5.00.

Then I would consider going, but IMHO the year before last was better than last year, and I expect that trend to continue from the pre-publicity.

#27 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:35

Like Pete, I have been fortunate enough, over the years, to have gained free media access to events when taking pics and/or reporting meetings, but over the last few years I have taken to paying for admission to many events and I have to say that I don't think the paddock admission is unrealistic.
As an enthusiast, I like to think that by supporting an event such as this in the north-west it will help to secure its future - where else would I be able to see, and get close to, cars of the calibre of the Donington four-wheel collection, and all the Vanwalls plus Moss's Lotus 18 as well as cars such as Harry Leventis' P3 and DBR1, without trooping off to the far south and mixing with crowds so dense that you can't get near the cars in the paddock? Not to mention Chris Williams' multi-cylinder equipe and the ex-Roger Collings Mercedes-Maybach from Sinsheim, powered by a Zeppelin engine. What's more, the atmosphere is nicely relaxed and the backdrop hard to beat. Aside from the cars, the bikes on and off the track have always provided good value and the rally stage should afford some new photo opportunities. I look forward to meeting up with some TNFers there.

#28 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:10

A decent Wednesday morning at Mallory beats Cholmondeley on all levels. Exotica, accessability, viewing, photo opportunities, friendliness, catering and price. It's not unusual for there to be more cars at Mallory than there is on the entry list for the POP, and to the best of my knowledge you can't get either a full English breakfast, or a proper mug of decent coffee for £1.20 there either.
In a recession, there's only one choice.

Edited by Giraffe, 25 May 2011 - 14:15.

#29 "Shangry-La"

"Shangry-La"

• 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:22

A decent Wednesday morning at Mallory beats Cholmondeley on all levels.

No doubt the opportunities for incessant self-promotion, name-dropping and "card-dumping" are greater at Mallory on Wednesdays than at the Cholmondeley PoP.
Chacun à son goût.

#30 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:40

Chacun à son goût.

Et tu, Angry-La.

Edited by Giraffe, 26 May 2011 - 05:55.

#31 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 17:52

Like Pete, I have been fortunate enough, over the years, to have gained free media access to events when taking pics and/or reporting meetings, but over the last few years I have taken to paying for admission to many events and I have to say that I don't think the paddock admission is unrealistic.
As an enthusiast, I like to think that by supporting an event such as this in the north-west it will help to secure its future - where else would I be able to see, and get close to, cars of the calibre of the Donington four-wheel collection, and all the Vanwalls plus Moss's Lotus 18 as well as cars such as Harry Leventis' P3 and DBR1, without trooping off to the far south and mixing with crowds so dense that you can't get near the cars in the paddock? Not to mention Chris Williams' multi-cylinder equipe and the ex-Roger Collings Mercedes-Maybach from Sinsheim, powered by a Zeppelin engine. What's more, the atmosphere is nicely relaxed and the backdrop hard to beat. Aside from the cars, the bikes on and off the track have always provided good value and the rally stage should afford some new photo opportunities. I look forward to meeting up with some TNFers there.

Together with Neville Hay, I'll be commentating from the box near the start line. Commentary will be both on the PA and on mini-radios available with the programme, just like Goodwood.
TNFers are free to make rude signs from opposite the box for every factual mistake we make.
Chris

#32 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 18:00

I'm delighted to hear that you will be on duty again, Chris.

#33 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 18:49

Looking forward to my first visit. There to support the delightful Miss watts competing in the family Lotus 30.

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 21:54

Looking forward to my first visit. There to support the delightful Miss watts competing in the family Lotus 30.

Frankly, the delightful Ms.Watts wrestling with the 30 would be the biggest incentive for me to visit Cholmondeley. Tony Trimmer is shortly to share the car with Matthew Watts at Brands Hatch, and he is pretty apprehensive. After all, it was the fastest car through the speedtrap at last year's Goodwood Revival meeting.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-05-25

I have no problem with the POP; it's a good day out but it ain't user friendly and it's costly. I've spoken to several entrants from previous years who told me they wouldn't bother returning. However I've spoken to others who wouldn't return to Goodwood. I wasn't going to go to the Festival of Speed, but the Indycar feature really made me think again. Maybe Cholmondeley doesn't have much of a budget, but they don't seem to have much creativity either. The region has a great motor sport heritage that could be tapped into; Vin Malkie has five of the six Chevron B1 & 2s just down the road; two Red Rose Chevrons are currently racing in historics: Derek Walker is about with his Ladybirds. There appears to be nobody pulling in favours, driving the event forward. Lots of lovely people involved but nobody yet taking it to another level.
It's important to obtain feedback and that's what I'm giving. Oh and if you are who I think you are "Shangry-La", au revoir for the umpteenth time. :wave:

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:01

No doubt the opportunities for incessant self-promotion, name-dropping and "card-dumping" are greater at Mallory on Wednesdays than at the Cholmondeley PoP.
Chacun à son goût.

"Shangry-La" appears to have fallen on his sword yet agan. This man cannot be playing with a full deck.

I have to admit I'd forgotten that our esteemed Ted was exhibiting this year. Whether he returns the following year is the ultimate acid test for Cholmondeley. :smoking:

#36 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:02

Please can we try to restrict this thread to details about Cholmondeley and not about personal vendettas? Thank you.

Exactly what I said to the moderator Alan. Thank you too. :up:

#37 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:12

It grieves me greatly to see two such eminent TNFers conducting this silly campaign against each other. Please, chaps, can you not both adopt the philosophy of 'live and let live'. We all lost out in the earlier unpleasantness involving Buford. Please let us not repeat history.

#38 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:20

It grieves me greatly to see two such eminent TNFers conducting this silly campaign against each other. Please, chaps, can you not both adopt the philosophy of 'live and let live'. We all lost out in the earlier unpleasantness involving Buford. Please let us not repeat history.

Difficult one Tim. The chap formerly known as "Shangry-La" amongst a multitude of other aliases ( :confused: ) has been under a lifetime ban from the forum for some time now. I can't tell you what the moderator referred to him as yesterday here. (PS I've pm'd you Tim).

Back o/t, is there going to be a Liverpool preview like last year Alan? Seems it was very popular...... :love:

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=4369691

Edited by Giraffe, 26 May 2011 - 09:30.

#39 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:49

Exactly what I said to the moderator Alan. Thank you too. :up:

Where did that quote come from? I can't find it on this thread

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:55

Where did that quote come from? I can't find it on this thread

By e-mail David.

#41 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:58

Back o/t, is there going to be a Liverpool preview like last year Alan? Seems it was very popular...... :love:

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=4369691

No, the preview this time is the Friday at Lord Cholmondeley's week-end cottage (I understand that he lives in Norfolk most of the time, but I'm usually wrong).
I thought that the (free) Liverpool preview event was actually better than the "real thing", although maybe I'm biased because I got to blast along the streets in the Birkin Team blower.

#42 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:01

No, the preview this time is the Friday at Lord Cholmondeley's week-end cottage (I understand that he lives in Norfolk most of the time, but I'm usually wrong).
I thought that the (free) Liverpool preview event was actually better than the "real thing", although maybe I'm biased because I got to blast along the streets in the Birkin Team blower.

What a shame Pete, it really looked to be a blast & must have put considerable numbers on the gate. :well:

#43 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:08

What a shame Pete, it really looked to be a blast & must have put considerable numbers on the gate. :well:

I'm led to believe that it didn't.

#44 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:14

I'm led to believe that it didn't.

I thought you might say that Alan. Is that based on positive feedback or guesswork?

#45 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 14:25

The former, from someone well-connected with the event.

#46 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 14:29

Hopefully then they will all come to Cholmondeley when they realise that there is nothing happening in Liverpool this year, Alan? :cat:

#47 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 17:20

I know it's not Goodwood, but £27 for a day out on the Saturday or Sunday doesn't sound unrealistic to me. Exactly half the price of a Festival of Speed ticket. I believe one can pay between £30 and £40 to watch a premiership football game which lasts only 90 minutes with no guarantee that you will see a goal. I rest my case.

About £50 an adult at Man City and you try and get a child's ticket for any Premiere League match for £5 ! (cost of a childs POP ticket)

Yes Pageant Of Power is considerably more expensive than the Gold Cup or The Rally Show for example (well under twenty quid per adults for both events, kids free) but other than being outdoor (historic) motorsport events there's very little comparison in terms of the shear size of this event. However I'd also say they've missed a trick not offering a family ticket to POP as two adults with two kiddies will have to find a wopping £70 on the gate !!

It'll be interesting to see if the crowds do show up this year as happened last.

Any news of any well known faces driving this year ? Derek Bell has been mentioned to me, I'm not sure POP are that focused on attracting names though I have to say, I know one or two who have still to be officially invited back and it's the end of May ! :|

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:55

& the WTCC at Donington Park.

#49 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:56

& the WTCC at Donington Park.

While the Festival of Speed clashes with the HSCC Brands Hatch Superprix. 'Twas ever thus.

#50 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:06

While the Festival of Speed clashes with the HSCC Brands Hatch Superprix. 'Twas ever thus.

Indeed. Is the 4wd theme still on course for Cholmondeley, Alan? I thought that was a really good idea with a lot of potential? :cat:

Edited by Giraffe, 28 May 2011 - 09:08.