Photo

Autosport International 2011; 13-16 January

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 16:42

Press release from the HSCC regarding their display at Autosport International, celebrating 2-litre sports cars

HSCC displays 2-litre sports-racing cars at the NEC
Seven 2-litre sports prototypes from the early 1970s will form a key display at Autosport International (13-16 January 2011) as the Historic Sports Car Club heads towards the re-birth of the category with a programme of races next season.

The golden era of 2-litre sports-racing cars will be brought back to life next season in a new series of races run by the HSCC. In 2011 the new series will take in four or five events in the UK and Europe, and will be for Group 6, open-cockpit, 2-litre sports-racing cars produced prior to the end of 1978. The first races for the new series will be at the Silverstone International Trophy (14/15 May).

On show at Autosport International will be seven cars from six different manufacturers, and the club is aiming to attract some former racers from the European 2-litre Sports Car Championship to the NEC during Friday 14 January. Visitors to the NEC across the show will have the chance to take a close look at these stunningly beautiful sports-racing cars.

The cars on display in Hall 6, stand number 6700, will be:

Lola T210 (1970) courtesy of Chris Fox. The Lola T210 won the first European title in 1970 with Jo Bonnier at the wheel.
Daren MkIII (1971) courtesy of Philip Froude. Martin Raymond enjoyed considerable success with the Daren MK11 and won the 1971 Motoring News GT Championship in the UK. For 1972 he bought the Mk111 and raced it internationally. This car comes to the NEC fresh from restoration.
Chevron B21/23 (1972) courtesy of Andrew Schryver. Chevron was one of the most prolific manufacturers of 2-litre sports cars and the B21 was the development of the classic B19.
Osella Abarth (1973) courtesy of Grant Tromans. In 1972 the Osella Abarth in the hands of Arturo Merzario dominated the 2-Litre Sports Car Championship. In 1973 the development car proved to be quick and this is one of the cars painstakingly rebuilt for Grant Tromans.
Chevron B26 (1974) courtesy of John Ruston. This car is one the most famous Chevrons, known as 'chocolate drop' due to its colours. In period it was raced for the works by Peter Gethin and Brian Redman, as well as John Watson, Ian Scheckter, John Lepp and Iain McLaren. It was restored in 2004.
TOJ SS02 (1974) courtesy of Frank Lyons and John Monson. This is the first of the Toj chassis, based around a Modus single-seater. In 1974 two of the chassis enjoyed some success, in the hands of Jorg Obermoser and Lotus Formula One driver Dave Walker.
March 75S (1975) courtesy of Doug Hart. The ex-Chris Skeaping car was taken to race wins by Hart during the historic racing 2010 season.

For more details about the HSCC, please visit www.hscc.org.uk

Edited by Alan Cox, 13 December 2010 - 16:42.

Advertisement

#2 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 15:11

I will be there and will look out for them. Have to go on the Saturday as work not permitting time off as too busy....

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:50

I've just has a circular from the organisers offering me (as an MSA licenced official) a £5 discount on the price of a General Admission ticket for the Racing Car Show which is thus reduced to £24.
Is it just a sign of age that I think that is still very expensive for what it is?

Had the same thing a month ago - again £5 off, but it seems to be £30 before discount this time.
Still looks expensive.

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 22:36

For those attending the show on Friday, Chairman Chris Sharples has just sent me this info re. period 2-litre sportscar drivers due on the HSCC stand @ 11.30am.........

'We have had positive replies and expect to have with us;

John Miles, Chris Craft and John Burton (the first two rows for the 1971 Martini Trophy at Silverstone were Elford/Miles/Hine/Craft and Hezemans/Burton/Larrousse)
Bob Marston of Lola and Paul Owens of Chevron.
Roger Heavens, Ian Skailes, Andrew Fletcher and Peter Smith.

A number of other drivers couldn’t make the Show but hope to visit races during the year.'

#5 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:58

For last years Autosport International I was very kindly lent a spare pass for the Saturday from Giraffe. I was very cheekly wondering if anoyone had such a pass again or was looking to purchase 2 tickets which when ordering with a particular voucher code gets a 3rd ticket free, I would be more than happy to pay towards cost of first 2 tickets.

A long shot so late in the day. But nothing ventured etc.

Many thanks

Roy

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:35

Someone please tell me that the Birmingham NEC haven't seen fit to raise the already extortionate car parking fees due to VAT/inflation etc. this year?

#7 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:43

Someone please tell me that the Birmingham NEC haven't seen fit to raise the already extortionate car parking fees due to VAT/inflation etc. this year?

£8.00 :well:

#8 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:51

Same as it has been for the past few years. Stupidly over-priced, considering there's no where else within reasonable distance to park up at.

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 19:56

I am attending two very large exhibitions for business purposes during January & February at the NEC, Interiors & the International Spring Fair. Parking for both these events is free.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 16:56

For those attending the show on Friday, Chairman Chris Sharples has just sent me this info re. period 2-litre sportscar drivers due on the HSCC stand @ 11.30am.........

'We have had positive replies and expect to have with us;

John Miles, Chris Craft and John Burton (the first two rows for the 1971 Martini Trophy at Silverstone were Elford/Miles/Hine/Craft and Hezemans/Burton/Larrousse)
Bob Marston of Lola and Paul Owens of Chevron.
Roger Heavens, Ian Skailes, Andrew Fletcher and Peter Smith.

A number of other drivers couldn’t make the Show but hope to visit races during the year.'

A little more regarding Friday morning on the HSCC stand.........

Grahame has asked Ian Titchmarsh to do a brief presentation with a Q&A with Miles, Craft and John Burton. Then we’ll try and organise a photo opportunity for the bunch of drivers and cars.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 20:28

an impromptu TNF meeting this lunch time was had over on the LAT Photographic stand ; Twinny, Mr.Allen Brown and I. And a jolly good time was had by all.

#12 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 18:11

Some familiar faces and cars were at the NEC today :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 22:51

The six period 2-litre sportscar drivers who appeared on the HSCC stand today, from L to R:

John Miles, Chris Craft, John Burton, Ian Skailes, Pete Smith & Roger Heavens.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-01-14

The 'proper' Chevron line-up; Helen & Vin Malkie with Paul Owens.

Posted Image

John Miles told us today that Colin Chapman paid him the princely sum of £10 per test session in the early days of the Lotus 72!

Posted Image

#14 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:07

Park one station away for free then get the train over.

#15 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:00

A few more....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#16 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:42

The show seemed considerably smaller than last year, and I would guess attendance on Friday was down around 20% approx. If it wasn't for the student groups, the place would have felt rather empty. I did spy Derek Warwick, Tim Parnell, Dave Richards and Antony Hamilton doing the rounds.
There was as much to interest the historic motorsport enthusiast, if not more than anything else! Phil Rainford & Chris Sharples apart, there was a distinct shortage of TNFers, Shadow DN1 being the only one I identified.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-01-15
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Giraffe, 17 January 2011 - 17:28.

#17 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 15:06

Just spent the Thursday and Friday at the show with work. Here's a selection of what I saw...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a Lotus...

Posted Image

But is this a Lotus?

Posted Image

Or is this a Lotus?

Posted Image

Edited by Hamish Robson, 15 January 2011 - 15:09.

#18 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 16:12

Even though we might like the idea of Lotus being back in F1 in all honesty neither car has anything to do with the real Lotus car company and they were not designed or manufactured at Hethel or any other wholely owned Lotus cars facility.
The car that has been masquerading as a Renault was Benetton which in reality was the design and manufacturing facility set up to make Tolemans. The Fernandez was built in the Racing Technologies Norfolk factory which was owned by Audi and used to build the Le Mans Audi Coupe and the subsequent Bentley badged Le Mans prototypes.

All that ugly junk hanging down under the nose of these current cars is aesthetically displeasing in comparison to earlier eras.

Edited by RTH, 15 January 2011 - 16:14.

#19 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 20:25

All that ugly junk hanging down under the nose of these current cars is aesthetically displeasing in comparison to earlier eras.

That's an understatement, Richard.

And whilst I may not have a degree in aerodynamics, I would also question the validity of all these "appendages" :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:04

Well I cant imagine they are installed for looks.

#21 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 18:59

Did anyone get any photos of the JPS Lotus F1 car on the Pirrelli stand?

#22 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:44

Phil Rainford may have one; he was on the stand. :wave:

#23 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:09

went up Saturday paid all the money and spent whole day talking about the advantages of technical illustration over cad and 3D solid works, was very interesting.

#24 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:41

Giraffe. Your eyesight must be failing since you had your haircut. You walked straight past my stand.

#25 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:52

I saw your stand Ted but not you unfortunately - looked good and nice location next to that outer wall, I thought it was quite easy to miss the stalls in the middle without going round in ever-decreasing circles.
I took a few photos on the Wednesday night (we were setting up) and Thursday day-time but nothing stunningly good.
There was some nice cars there but not sure I'd go again unless there some specific bits I was after or a particular series/car launch but it was nice to catch up with some people and I managed to escape being led astray in the bar only for an hour - phew!!
I did see two TNFers but that was all unfortunately.

#26 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:53

Indeed :)

Posted Image

PAR

#27 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:58

I saw your stand Ted but not you unfortunately - looked good and nice location next to that outer wall, I thought it was quite easy to miss the stalls in the middle without going round in ever-decreasing circles.
I took a few photos on the Wednesday night (we were setting up) and Thursday day-time but nothing stunningly good.
There was some nice cars there but not sure I'd go again unless there some specific bits I was after or a particular series/car launch but it was nice to catch up with some people and I managed to escape being led astray in the bar only for an hour - phew!!

Gregor

Myself and Messers Cox and Arron came looking for you on Friday afternoon ....but I think you had departed by then :cry:

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 17 January 2011 - 13:07.

#28 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:43

Myself and Messers Cox and Arron came looking for you on Friday afternoon ....but I think he had departed by then :cry:

I was also told by Ted Walker that he had spied Giraffe, who had had a haircut. The disguise worked, Tony, because we never spotted you.
The McLaren display was quite impressive, but why, oh why, did they have to remove all Marlboro logos from their historic collection? Is it part of their heritage that they are embarassed about? I've never smoked but was always appreciative of the money that tobacco companies poured into motor sport for my entertainment.
Also, Clive Chapman and Classic Team Lotus mounted a fine display, including a discreet and tasteful tribute to Jim Endruweit alongside the Lotus 21.

#29 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:51

The McLaren display was quite impressive, but why, oh why, did they have to remove all Marlboro logos from their historic collection? Is it part of their heritage that they are embarassed about? I've never smoked but was always appreciative of the money that tobacco companies poured into motor sport for my entertainment.

If they are the cars from Donington then I believe the logos are being removed each time a car needs any restoration. It's all very silly really :(

#30 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:15

Well I suffered Thursday and Friday but didn't see a single TNFer. with or without a new haircut.
Not strictly true, as I did see Ted at his stand, but as I don't know him, I didn't stop to speak.

#31 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:21

Not strictly true, as I did see Ted at his stand, but as I don't know him, I didn't stop to speak.

You should have done, Ian, and spent a happy hour scanning through his Formula E pictures!

#32 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 13:21

Myself and Messers Cox and Arron came looking for you on Friday afternoon ....but I think you had departed by then :cry:

Hi Phil - do I owe the three of you money? :drunk:
Sorry, was only briefly there on Friday as had to come home but hope you all had a good time though.

#33 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:36

an impromptu TNF meeting this lunch time was had over on the LAT Photographic stand ; Twinny, Mr.Allen Brown and I. And a jolly good time was had by all.

Unfortunately, I could only make the Thursday as I had family over the weekend (and a jolly good time was had by all).

I hope to meet more people at Stoneleigh at the end of next month. Do we have a thread for that yet?

#34 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 18:02

I went on SUnday but I didn't stay for too long as I have been feeling ill lately.

Although I had a quick dose of go-karting and it was fun.

I was hoping there would be some magazine stalls but there was only two, Eltons and the one opposite the Eltons stand.

Also there was no sign-language interpreter at the Central Stage as they have done in the past few years.

I am thinking of not going next year. I might go to the Good Food Show or a Baby Show instead! :(

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:32

Posted Image

PAR

From what I gather from the other forum, this is Roger Will's winter project for which he swapped his Lotus Cortina & "a little bit of cash".;)
I believe Classic Team Lotus are doing it up for him.

Edited by Giraffe, 17 January 2011 - 19:51.

#36 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:53

From what I gather from the other forum, this is Roger Will's winter project for which he swapped his Lotus Cortina & "a little bit of cash".;) I believe Classic Team Lotus are doing it up for him.

OK. Is this the ex-Patrick Collection 92B?

#37 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:16

Has anybody been at the Coys auction ?
I am looking especially for the results of the Lotus 18 and the two front engined Formula Juniors.

Ralf

#38 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 23:08

Posted Image

PAR

Thanks a lot Phil, looks lovely!

#39 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:44

From what I gather from the other forum, this is Roger Will's winter project for which he swapped his Lotus Cortina & "a little bit of cash".;)
I believe Classic Team Lotus are doing it up for him.

Bit of further information from Roger:

This is the ex: Nick Rini car.

First build as 87/5 ground effect in 1981
Converted to 91/5 for 1982
Both with top rocker front suspension
In 1983 converted it into 92/5 with pull rod front suspension and a flat bottom. It also had active suspension.
It now has passive suspension, flat bottom & pull rod front suspension.

Chassis 5 started life as a 1981 Lotus 87 and was developed over two seasons up to a 92. As a development car, it was mainly used as a spare car (T car).
However it was driven regularly by Nigel Mansell and also in one race (the 1983 Brazilian Grand Prix) by Elio de Angelis. Engine problems on the warm-up lap for de Angelis' Renault turbo-engined Lotus 93T forced him into the spare 92, which eventually led to his disqualification, for changing from a Renault-engined car to a Cosworth-engined one.

The 92's best result was a 6th place for Mansell at the Detroit Grand Prix.

The 92 was the last non-turbo car designed and raced by Lotus until the turbo engines were banned from the 1989 season. It was also the last Lotus car to carry the Cosworth DFV V8 engine.
There are many photos of it in period running in qualifying / testing and then in the GP itself the Renault turbo car would be used. I guess they were doing a lot of work to compare the Renault powered car to the DFV car.

The race history of the car is:

Italian GP 1981- T car. E. De Angelis.

Canadian GP 1981- N.Mansell Q 5th R DNF crash.

US GP 1981- N.Mansell Q 9th R 4th

South African GP 1982- N.Mansell Q 18th R DNF Electrical

British GP 1982- T car. E. De Angelis

French GP 1982- T car. E. De Angelis

German GP 1982- T car. E. De Angelis

Austrian GP 1982- T car. E.De Angelis

Brazilian GP 1983- E.De Angelis Q 13th R DSQ

US GP 1983- T car. N.Mansell

Belgian GP 1983- T car. N.Mansell

Canadian GP 1983- T car. N.Mansell

Advertisement

#40 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 13:57

Bit of further information from Roger:This is the ex: Nick Rini car.

First build as 87/5 ground effect in 1981 Converted to 91/5 for 1982 Both with top rocker front suspension In 1983 converted it into 92/5 with pull rod front suspension and a flat bottom. It also had active suspension. It now has passive suspension, flat bottom & pull rod front suspension.

Chassis 5 started life as a 1981 Lotus 87 and was developed over two seasons up to a 92. As a development car, it was mainly used as a spare car (T car). However it was driven regularly by Nigel Mansell and also in one race (the 1983 Brazilian Grand Prix) by Elio de Angelis. Engine problems on the warm-up lap for de Angelis' Renault turbo-engined Lotus 93T forced him into the spare 92, which eventually led to his disqualification, for changing from a Renault-engined car to a Cosworth-engined one. The 92 was the last non-turbo car designed and raced by Lotus until the turbo engines were banned from the 1989 season. It was also the last Lotus car to carry the Cosworth DFV V8 engine.

Hi Giraffe!

Thanks to Roger and yourself for adding this information. Did Nick Rini purchase it directly from Team Lotus or was this also The Patrick Collection car? The Collection did purchase a 92 directly from the team. Not sure when this one was sold, however, and I am also not sure if their car was 92/5.

#41 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:22

Hi Giraffe!

Thanks to Roger and yourself for adding this information. Did Nick Rini purchase it directly from Team Lotus or was this also The Patrick Collection car? The Collection did purchase a 92 directly from the team. Not sure when this one was sold, however, and I am also not sure if their car was 92/5.

Ian,
The car was placed with Hall & Hall for sale..........

http://www.hallandha...sp?StockID=1315

I asked Roger Wills if the car had been with the Patrick Collection & he doesn't know, suggesting I ask Classic Team Lotus. However, the remains of the Patrick Collection (I'm told there's more than 50% left at the site) is on the route of one of my canal walks from my home, and I've only just discovered that whilst no longer open to the public, it is available by prior arrangement to motor clubs. I shall therefore try to find out what is still there and more about the Lotus.