Photo

Women drivers!

• Please log in to reply
925 replies to this topic

#801 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:01

To which I added an appropriate response, which drew an unnecessary insult from you

Well that wasn't my intention David. I fully accept that certain people on the forum are somewhat more easily offended than others and should have remembered (Lord,, I have good reason to!) that you are amongst that number. My humble apologies........ :blush:

Advertisement

#802 barrykm

barrykm

• 432 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:33

http://www.janetguth...m/biography.htm ........More about this amazing women 73 y/o this month.

Judging by the reviews on Amazon US this looks like a great read.

#803 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 644 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 17:10

Lady Rally Drivers from the 1950's

Posted Image
1959 Calendar - All The Ladies - Named by Rally Pix, on Flickr

My guesses on the unknowns would be Nancy Mitchell, who was very active at the same time as these ladies, Patricia Ozanne and Anne (sp?) Neil, who drove a Standard with her sister Chrissie. She might be the blonde lady at the front. Cherry Osborn is another possibility.

The lady tentatively identified as Hazel Dunham looks quite a lot like Nancy Mitchell, actually.

Edited by LotusElise, 17 March 2011 - 17:12.

#804 threespires

threespires

• 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:25

My guesses on the unknowns would be Nancy Mitchell, who was very active at the same time as these ladies, Patricia Ozanne and Anne (sp?) Neil, who drove a Standard with her sister Chrissie. She might be the blonde lady at the front. Cherry Osborn is another possibility.

The lady tentatively identified as Hazel Dunham looks quite a lot like Nancy Mitchell, actually.

I'd tend to agree with you regarding Mancy Mitchell.
I knew Cherry and don't see her in the pic.
Patricia Ozanne would be a candidate for one of the hidden ladies.

My guess is that's the pic was taken at the Prizegiving after the 1958 Alpine Rally.

#805 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:17

After yesterday, Simona De Silvestra is a worthy member of an illustrious list.

#806 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:19

Sounds like a good idea. Bloggsworth can you give us more details on her career so far.

Cheers Eldougo

#807 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:14

Sounds like a good idea. Bloggsworth can you give us more details on her career so far.

Cheers Eldougo

From Wikipedia

#808 Dkipling1

Dkipling1

• 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:04

in a recent thread,helle-nice was referred to as the"top female driver of her times."..until her retirement with the tragic death of her husband,madam junek was, i thought,one of the best...has anyone here started a thread on early women drivers????i would hope there were a few who actually drove cars in earnst, not just as an ajunct to being a female dare-devil[typ. included aeronautics,mountain climbing,big game hunting,etc..]anyone???[who was the englishwoman who set the speed records with the front-drive miller??]

For some years here in the North West USA, I watched a young woman named Shawna Wilskey, who raced Sprint cars. She started with the 360 class: 360 cu.in. alky-burning V-8's, and then moved up to the 410 cu. in class, where you need 700bhp under your foot if you're going to do the job. Here's a link:
http://www.google.ca...=1t:429,r:0,s:0
That is her wingless tarmac car, but she flew the winged ones very well. At her home track of Skagit Speedway, which is a 3/10 mile clay oval, the 410 sprints can lap at under 11 seconds, which is an average of damn' near 100mph, with one gear and no clutch. You have to be tough.

Last year I was watching Danielle Huson tacke on the same races in her 410 Sprint: http://www.danielleh....com/photos.htm

In an altogether rougher form of racing, 30 years ago I also had the pleasure of seeing Jayne Bean from Cheshire, UK, using her steel bumpers to good effect in British stock car racing, [typically 400-500bhp Chevy V-8s] where she scored her way up to the premier rank: http://www.oldstox.c...s/jaynebean.jpg

Edited by Dkipling1, 29 March 2011 - 23:01.

#809 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:44

Anyone know why a lot of the photos originally posted on this thread no longer appear? All I get is a red cross :cry:

#810 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:50

Anyone know why a lot of the photos originally posted on this thread no longer appear? All I get is a red cross :cry:

Your browser is blocking them - Could be a security update has changed some of your settings; you need to go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Multimedia and check that the "Show pictures" option is still ticked - That's often the problem. Though it's a puzzle as to why some appear and some don't.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 30 March 2011 - 08:51.

#811 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:55

If pics have either not been accessed for 12 months or have been removed from the host site, then you get the red cross.

#812 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,395 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:00

Also, if people post photos hosted on their own websites, storage space limitations often force them to delete older photos to make room for new ones.

#813 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:39

If pics have either not been accessed for 12 months or have been removed from the host site, then you get the red cross.

Also, if people post photos hosted on their own websites, storage space limitations often force them to delete older photos to make room for new ones.

All these things happen on sites like this where direct posting is not possible.
Quite often following old links here leads to other photoless forums.

#814 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,842 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:19

For some years here in the North West USA, I watched a young woman named Shawna Wilskey, who raced Sprint cars. She started with the 360 class: 360 cu.in. alky-burning V-8's, and then moved up to the 410 cu. in class, where you need 700bhp under your foot if you're going to do the job. Here's a link:
That is her wingless tarmac car, but she flew the winged ones very well. At her home track of Skagit Speedway, which is a 3/10 mile clay oval, the 410 sprints can lap at under 11 seconds, which is an average of damn' near 100mph, with one gear and no clutch. You have to be tough.

Last year I was watching Danielle Huson tacke on the same races in her 410 Sprint: http://www.danielleh....com/photos.htm

In an altogether rougher form of racing, 30 years ago I also had the pleasure of seeing Jayne Bean from Cheshire, UK, using her steel bumpers to good effect in British stock car racing, [typically 400-500bhp Chevy V-8s] where she scored her way up to the premier rank: http://www.oldstox.c...s/jaynebean.jpg

There has been a good few women race various speedway classes in Oz. Kelly Linegan is a very honest current competitor, Melinda Moore was also very honest though doesnt race now, she married Max Dumnesny! And their son is now racing and I believe the daughter is stepping up too!
Their has been ladies race street stocks, Formula 500, V6 Sprints, plus Thunderdome in Auscar. And one is driving a Super Sedan on occasion now.
But most are second and third generation. It makes it a lot easier if the family has the equipment and expertise to run the cars. Most are competent competitors and worthy of a seat.
It will always be harder for a irl to get into motorsport, circuit racing is easier as a sedan based car is easier to run, or Formula Vee/Ford as you can buy a drive and learn from there.

#815 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:50

There was a "Women and Racing" panel at Legends of Riverside.

http://www.pe.com/mu...20110327_panel/

I think Paula Murphy was there too.

Vince H.

#816 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:26

Denise McCluggage on "To Tell the Truth":

Vince H.

#817 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:14

At this January's 'Wheels of Wellness' historic racing car show in Phoenix, Arizona, one of the discussion panels featured Desire Wilson, Danica Patrick, Denise McCluggae and Lyn St James - not a bad line up, I would venture to suggest..
http://femaleracingn...n-motor-sports/

#818 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 17:32

Long-serving Cooper T45 driver in HGPCA and VSCC events, the ever-cheerful Tania Pilkington.
Posted Image

#819 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 18:07

There is a great picture of Anita Taylor and her brother Trevor in Classic Sports Car magazine (April)...

Advertisement

#820 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 18:26

Nice pic, Alan
And she has been driving the Cooper for a long time - since 1998 :up:

#821 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 18:41

And she has been driving the Cooper for a long time - since 1998 :up:

I think her finest hour, probably, was beating Barrie Williams at Brands some years ago. I think the Autosport headline was "Pilkington's class" (in the days when they still indulged in witty headlines).

#822 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:57

Another pic of this lady racer. An a short history of her racing life...KayPetre raced with Aileen Ellison and Mrs Tolhurst in an all girl team at Brooklands 1935,she drove for a works Austin team 1937 did Le Mans same year then at Crystal Palace was coming second until a spark plug let her down. Set a time of 43.78 sec at Shelsey Walsh, then she got hit at Brooklands by Reg Parnell in a MG and ended up in Hospital.She did Monte Carlo rally 1939 got hit by a truck and then continued her career as a motoring writer and became the first member of the guild of motoring writers.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us,,,On FourWheels No 84.

Edited by eldougo, 24 April 2011 - 03:58.

#823 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:16

Born Gwenda Glubb. then Gwenda Stewart and followed by Gwenda Hawkes,she began her racing career on motor cycle 1922 raced at Brooklands double 12 race then lived in France and raced at Monthery at 1930 to 1937.Her most famous exploits were in the Derby fwd racer built by her Husband Mr Douglas Hawkes (seen in pic )and now is in the Wheatcroft Museum today.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us..On Four Wheels No45.

Edited by eldougo, 24 April 2011 - 04:17.

#824 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:35

Another Great Lady racer Elizaberth Junek .Born 1900 began racing 1922 in her country ,then followed more International races such as Monthery and the Targa Florio with great success finnish fifth after coming second at on time ,her best winning race was the 2liter class at the first Nurburgring race .And after her husband Cenek Junek was killed at the German GP she retired from racing.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us...On Four Wheels No56

Edited by eldougo, 24 April 2011 - 04:36.

#825 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:04

Born Gwenda Glubb. then Gwenda Stewart and followed by Gwenda Hawkes,she began her racing career on motor cycle ...

She seems first to have married (in 1920) to Sam Janson who appeared in the 1911 census as Departmental Manager (Motor Trade). Sam married again (and again) in 1923 and 1927 ... this suggests that Gwen would raced as Janson too.

Presumably, there was a divorce, as Gwenda married Robert N Stewart in 1924. In 1911 he had been a Soldier (awaiting commission).

EDIT: There was a divorce, on account of Gwenda's adultery with Col. Robert Stewart.

Sam's second wife died in 1924 in a motor accident. He was then named as co-respondent in a divorce case in 1926 - the woman was his second wife's sister, whom he married in 1927.

Quite a bit about Gwenda here http://www.historicr...amp;fromrow=780

Janson was at some time involved with Spyker cars.

Edited by Geoff E, 24 April 2011 - 18:43.

#826 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 00:48

Thanks Geoff E for that INFO . She was a busy girl in her prime days three Marriages.

#827 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:03

Eileen Ellison continues to interest me. From Cambridgeshire she is mentioned on various other threads, she may not have been quick but she raced widely and enthusiastically, her white Bugatti came to Australia postwar, she lived in South Africa postwar, her fiance Brian Lane died in WW2 though his Spitfire pilot reminiscences have been lately published, and she appears(unnamed) in a beaut Brooklands Society Website photo pit signalling. Whatever happened to the book about her that was to be published?

#828 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:53

This a short story re Eileen Ellison .
Thanks for the lead John ,now wait for some TNFer with info on the Bugatti. :up:

http://www.historicr...m?fullText=3242

Edited by eldougo, 25 April 2011 - 08:58.

#829 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:11

Thanks, Doug. Nice write up of EE. Does anyone know what happened to the book re her that was to be published?

John Cummins bought in early 1950s the engineless Bugatti in the UK , brought it back with him and put a Holden in it in Australia ie Cummo's then well known Bugatti Holden with LM Ballamy front end. The car is now with Andrew Cannon

#830 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:08

Thanks for that info on her Bugatti who have thought it turned out to be the Famous Cummo car. :up:

#831 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:11

Posted Image...The Oz & Italian connection.

. (From The Racing Ford, book .1980)

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 01 May 2011 - 11:06.

#832 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,092 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:24

Monique Proulx started racing in Quebec in the mid 1970's:

http://www.catamount...competitors.htm

She progressed to Formula Atlantic racing by the late 1970's.

She stopped racing in the late 1980's in order to support her son Stephane, who raced Formula 3000 cars in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

#833 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,204 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 20:54

On July 26 in 1931, 19-year-old Amelia de Mell won a 6-lap match race with Norval Delelys on the half-mile Canandaigua Fairgrounds dirt track in Western New York. De Mell (or, possibly, Demell), the "daughter of a farmer living between [Geneva] and Penn Yan", drove an 8-cylinder Duesenberg against Delelys's Miller. A repeat performance on the nearby Waterloo Speedway on September 5 was cancelled after several accidents in the main event that day. The Geneva Daily Times of July 27 goes on to report that "Miss DeMell has been working in Geneva for a number of months and at present is employed in the Appleton tea room on Seneca street. She does not expect to take up racing as a vocation but enjoys fast rides and seems competent to handle high powered cars equally well with the male aspirants for fame."

Delelys was certainly a competent driver to beat, having won three independent main events at Waterloo, Canandaigua and Ithaca in the preceding weeks, and with a number of top three finishes in AAA events over a period of five or six years. He may have done "the gentleman thing", however, as the slow average speed of de Mell's victory (43 mph) compares interstingly with his average of 55 mph over 50 laps in winning the main event at the same track three weeks earlier.

#834 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 644 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:23

I think her finest hour, probably, was beating Barrie Williams at Brands some years ago. I think the Autosport headline was "Pilkington's class" (in the days when they still indulged in witty headlines).

Tania's sister Erica also races. I've seen her in an FJ at Goodwood before.
Their mum, Trisha, was an early exponent of historic racing in the 60s.

#835 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 16:02

Tania's sister Erica also races. I've seen her in an FJ at Goodwood before.

As does her other sister Alex.

#836 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,842 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 23:18

That link is for a midget.Not a Sprinter.

#837 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:19

Suzy Dietrich - according to Denise McCluggage "enormously cute" - by her first race car, an MG TC
Posted Image
Unfortunately she is ill now and has to auction her racing memorabilia. (Source)

Edited by ReWind, 08 October 2011 - 07:26.

#838 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:33

ReWind:

Suzy's name sounds familiar but not sure why.... was she a Club racer?

The image appears as the Mojave Desert to me, did she race out of California?

Great Image.

Edited by E1pix, 08 October 2011 - 07:34.

#839 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:37

More about her:

Suzy Dietrich began her career by entering in what was known as "Ladies" class races, at the age of 26 in 1953. Driving an MG TC SC, she had her first of her many successes at Cumberland, when she finished 2nd in July, 1953, and again in May, 1954.
Suzy continued to run races in Chanute, Lockbourne, Janesville, Akron, and Brynfan Tyddyn. By May of 1955, with numerous entries under her belt, she had her first win at Cumberland driving #24, an MG TC SC. Suzy continued to race MG's until she entered the "Ladies Race" in Nassau, Bahamas in December, 1956, driving car #107; a Porsche 550 F4 2v DOHC, where she finished 3rd in one race, and 4th in another. The Porsche 550 also proved a successful choice for her back in Cumberland, when she finished 2nd, in May, 1957.
By September, 1957, Suzy began to race in an Elva, which resulted in a second place finish at her favorite racing venue, Watkins Glen. That year also brought Suzy's first serious accident on the track, which occurred when she returned to Nassau, Bahamas driving car #24, an Elva Mk II during the 4th International Bahamas Speed Week. Suzy was not injured, and in June of '58, she was the winner of the Watkins Glen Classic - Ladies race. She continued to race in many national and local races throughout the early 1960's, including Marlboro, Road America, Indianapolis, and VIR.
Suzy and her fellow female racers were competitive with one another, but also occasionally teamed up to race together. In June, 1966, Suzy, Janet Guthrie, and Donna Mae Mims teamed up at 24 Hours of Daytona to race in a Sunbeam Alpine. Later, Suzy also teamed up with them as a part of the Ring Free Oil Racing Team driving a Shelby Ford Mustang at the 6th Annual Daytona Continental 24 Hours, in February, 1967. Donna Mae and Suzy also teamed up as a part of the Ring Free Oil Racing Team at the 12 Hours of Sebring in April, 1967, driving an ASA 411.
Suzy Dietrich is well known in racing circles, including notable names such as Carroll Shelby, Paul Newman, Carl Haas, and Stirling Moss. Suzy was a true racing pioneer. She and the women racers of the 50 and '60's led the way for the current racing headliners, such as Danica Patrick. Suzy has been quoted as saying, "I may not always win, but I'm hard to beat. Don't ever forget it."

(Source)

Advertisement

#840 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:50

Thank You, ReWind, appreciate that. Sounds like she was more in the Midwest, I was raised an hour from Janesville.

I have to ask, did she have any relationship to Chuck Dietrich? He was the longest holder of an SCCA license throughout my younger years, running Formula B to the end mainly, and if memory serves was from Sandusky, Ohio.

#841 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:57

She married Charles Henry "Chuck" Dietrich, Jr., but I think they are divorced.
Place of her birth is Toledo, Ohio. I don't know her maiden name, though.

#842 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,395 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:06

Here's what RA Historian posted about the Dietrichs in the Husband and wife racing drivers thread:

Chuck Dietrich was a two time SCCA class champion; GM in 1963, and FB in 1967. He drove well into the 1980s in a variety of cars. He started in the early 1950s, so he did hold a license for some 40 years, give or take. Don't know when he last raced so I can't give a definitive answer to the number of years that he held a license. There are many drivers around now who have exceeded that. One that comes to mind is James Place, who is still racing and who was racing in the mid 1950s. So Place has held a ticket for over 50 years.

Suzy Dietrich was a competent racer in a number of cars. She and Chuck split sometime in the 1960s, and she married John Marshall, for whom she was listed as an entrant when Marshall was racing FB in the late '60s, early '70s.

Tom

#843 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:43

Here's what RA Historian posted about the Dietrichs in the Husband and wife racing drivers thread:

Great info, Tim, Thanks for finding RA's post! :up:

My distant memories thought they might be related as I'd posted a few posts ago. Chuck Dietrich ran in dozens of races I'd attended and was darned fast for any age. He ran a Brabham BT38 in FB (F-Atlantic) for many years, and ex-Bill O'Connor pro car IIRC, and was an inspiration. He was well into his 60s in the '70s but drove like in his 20s. [get all that? ;) ]

Thanks Again.

#844 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:48

Chuck Dietrich ... was well into his 60s in the '70s but drove like in his 20s.

IMHO that is doubtful as he AFAIK was born in September 1924.

Edited by ReWind, 08 October 2011 - 08:54.

#845 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,489 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:02

IMHO that is doubtful as he AFAIK was born in September 1924.

Apologies, I was in my teens so 50s looked like 60s to me. :blush: That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Edited by E1pix, 08 October 2011 - 09:05.

#846 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 644 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:53

If anyone on this thread is the person who emailed me about Suzy Dietrich in my Speedqueens capacity, ages ago, please get back in touch.

I deleted your message by accident and couldn't reply.

#847 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 18:11

Posted Image

#848 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 534 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 20:37

Posted Image

sweet

#849 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 22:09

Desiré Wilson at Riverside

Posted Image

#850 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,204 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 17:00

Anyone ever heard of Helen Czapiewski? She was the sister of Frank and Eddie Czapiewski, who owned and raced a number of interesting cars in Wisconsin in the twenties, including the monocoque/ifs/irs Cornelian of Indy 500 fame. I don't know if Helen ever drove the Cornelian, but I have seen her listed for an exhibition in a Marmon in Oshkosh, 1923. No, it was not the "Wasp"...