Pastor Maldonado Thread [Merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1360 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:08

Pastor Maldonado.

Born in Maracay, Venezuela on March 9, 1985.

1993: Begins his racing career in karting winning several national championships.

2002: Winner of the winter championship for rookie drivers, Italian Formula Renault 2000.

2003: Winner of the winter championship, Italian Formula Renault 2000.

2004: Italian Formula Renault 2000 Champion(same championship won by Felipe Massa in 2000).

2006: Could have won the World Series by Renault(WSbR) championship with Draco Racing Team, but because of a controversial technical infringement lost his win and fastest lap at the Misano race(16 pts).Finished 3, 9 points behind the champion Alx Danielsson.

2007: Debuts in GP2 with team Trident Racing winning Monaco feature race(first driver to win back to back WSbR and GP2 races at Monaco). Was 5 in the standings when suffered an injury during his regular training program, breaking one of his collarbones when falling from his bicycle. Missed all the races from Turkey onwards.

2008: His first full season in GP2, this time with team Piquet Sports. Finished 5 in the standings with 60 points but only 4 points behind runner up Bruno Senna.

2010: GP2 Champion with team Rapax, setting a new record of six consecutive feature race wins(Turkey, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Hungary and Spa-Francorchamps).

Favorite tracks: Monza, Spa-Francorchamps and Monaco.

Complete Career Info here.

Has been signed by AT&T Williams F1 team to compete in the 2011 Formula 1 Championship.

Pastor Maldonado Official Web Page

Pastor Maldonado Twitter Account

Suerte Pastor!

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 19 December 2010 - 12:16.

Advertisement

#2 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,823 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:58

Pastor Maldonado.

Born in Maracay, Venezuela on March 9, 1985.

Suerte Pastor!

So next season Team Willie will have two South American drivers - a Brazillian and a Venezuelan. Off hand I can't think of a previous example of an F1 team having two South American drivers simultaneously - possibly the Fittipaldis with Copersucar or back in the days of Fangio & Gonzalez. Can anyone provide chapter & verse on this please.

#3 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,972 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 13:48

So next season Team Willie will have two South American drivers - a Brazillian and a Venezuelan. Off hand I can't think of a previous example of an F1 team having two South American drivers simultaneously - possibly the Fittipaldis with Copersucar or back in the days of Fangio & Gonzalez. Can anyone provide chapter & verse on this please.

Other examples out of my head:

Toleman: Ceccoto(VEN) x Senna(BRA)
Benetton: Piquet (BRA) x Moreno (BRA)
Williams: Montoya (COL) x Pizzonia(BRA)

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 13:48

Thanks for his racing backstory, interesting to know what he's done. :up:

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 14:08

2009 conveniently omitted!

Pastor's quick, and freakishly good at Monaco, but is still inconsistent. Even after winning an unprecedented 5 consecutive feature races in GP2, he suddenly faded away...

#6 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 14:21

Other examples out of my head:

Toleman: Ceccoto(VEN) x Senna(BRA)
Benetton: Piquet (BRA) x Moreno (BRA)
Williams: Montoya (COL) x Pizzonia(BRA)

Forti: Pedro Diniz (Brazil) & Roberto Moreno (Brazil)
Fittipaldi-Copersucar: Emerson Fittipaldi (Brazil) & Ingo Hoffmann (Brazil)/Alex Ribeiro (Brazil)
Theodore: Roberto Guerrero (Colombia) & Johnny Cecotto (Venezuela)
Brabham: Carlos Pace (Brazil)/Wilson Fittipaldi (Brazil) & Carlos Reutemann (Argentina)

Edited by midgrid, 17 December 2010 - 14:22.

#7 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 14:28

2009 conveniently omitted!

I knew someone would bring it up, so why bother. :kiss:

#8 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,972 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 14:30

Forti: Pedro Diniz (Brazil) & Roberto Moreno (Brazil)
Fittipaldi-Copersucar: Emerson Fittipaldi (Brazil) & Ingo Hoffmann (Brazil)/Alex Ribeiro (Brazil)
Theodore: Roberto Guerrero (Colombia) & Johnny Cecotto (Venezuela)
Brabham: Carlos Pace (Brazil)/Wilson Fittipaldi (Brazil) & Carlos Reutemann (Argentina)

Thanks for the other examples, I was thinking about it after Coopersuccar only, but I've forgoten the Fortis of course.

#9 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 15:58

Also conveniently omits him hitting the marshal in Monaco one year, though since I've not seen the incident, but he was given a ban.

Saying that he's obviously got some speed, but I don't think he's anything more than a midfielder.

#10 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,229 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:03

He is an unwelcome addition as far as I'm concerned.

#11 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:44

2002: Winter Series Renault Champion.

2003: Winter Series Renault Champion.

Which winter series? British? Or does Venezuela have a FR winter series?  ;)

#12 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,972 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:48

Your friend... http://en.wikipedia....aldonado#Career

#13 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:54

Also conveniently omits him hitting the marshal in Monaco one year, though since I've not seen the incident, but he was given a ban.

Saying that he's obviously got some speed, but I don't think he's anything more than a midfielder.

For those interested:
Maldonado Monaco incident

#14 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 17:07

2002: Winter Series Renault Champion.

2003: Winter Series Renault Champion.

Which winter series? British? Or does Venezuela have a FR winter series?;)

2002: Winner of the winter championship for rookie drivers, Italian Formula Renault.
2003: Winner of the Italian winter championship, Italian Formula Renault?.

More Info here.

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 17 December 2010 - 17:19.

#15 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 17:28

2009 may of been over looked, but its been said time and time again - success in GP2 does not promise F1 success.. nor does GP2 failure mean F1 failure.

#16 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 19:03

He is an unwelcome addition as far as I'm concerned.

Reminds me of a review of the latest Tron movie that pointed out that, unusually, it started off with a kind of reverse goodwill, or "badwill" because of the over-hyping of the original. I guess Pastor comes into F1 with a fair amount of this "badwill" because of the Hulkenberg thing, and I wonder how long (if ever) it'll take him to get over it....

#17 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,229 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:35

Reminds me of a review of the latest Tron movie that pointed out that, unusually, it started off with a kind of reverse goodwill, or "badwill" because of the over-hyping of the original. I guess Pastor comes into F1 with a fair amount of this "badwill" because of the Hulkenberg thing, and I wonder how long (if ever) it'll take him to get over it....

I'm more bitter because I support Hulkenberg. So until Hulkenberg doesn't get a drive, it's curses for Maldonado. :p

#18 DavidJoeF1

DavidJoeF1

• 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:18

Funny that, I remember similar comments about Nigel Mansell!

#19 DavidJoeF1

DavidJoeF1

• 100 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:21

I'm more bitter because I support Hulkenberg. So until Hulkenberg doesn't get a drive, it's curses for Maldonado. :p

I think The Hulk - he is tall enough - will find a seat at Force India. A driver of his calibre is gold for a team such as Veejay's.

Advertisement

#20 pkenny

pkenny

• 198 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 22:46

On the Monaco incident, I think he hit a marshal under waved yellow flags (though this was disputed). There was talk of him being banned for life from racing in Monaco by the ACM but this never happened. It would have been equivalent to banning him from open-wheel racing outside the US. Never heard how the marshal fared but hope he recovered. Being a marshal at Monaco is very dangerous, so requires absolute adherence to flag controls.

#21 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 23:00

I've found a video of a similar incident involving Maldonado on YouTube - did this happen before or after his crash in Monaco?

#22 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 23:27

On the Monaco incident, I think he hit a marshal under waved yellow flags (though this was disputed). There was talk of him being banned for life from racing in Monaco by the ACM but this never happened. It would have been equivalent to banning him from open-wheel racing outside the US. Never heard how the marshal fared but hope he recovered. Being a marshal at Monaco is very dangerous, so requires absolute adherence to flag controls.

This "life ban" was a mistake by autosport, it never happened and autosport apologized for it. See here(subscription required)

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 24 December 2010 - 06:50.

#23 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:47

How old is he now? 54? Hulkenburg is 4 x more talented and is young, but hey now Williams gets more money and that is apparently more important.

Hope Hulkenberg gets a seat somewhere and that he overtakes the Williams cars a lot, will be sweet to watch.

Edited by HAM, 21 December 2010 - 01:49.

#24 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:57

I'm starting to dislike Hulkenberg due to his fanboys polluting the forum. What did he do to deserve such loyalty?

I say welcome Pastor. Show us what you got.

#25 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:31

How old is he now? 54? Hulkenburg is 4 x more talented and is young, but hey now Williams gets more money and that is apparently more important.

Hope Hulkenberg gets a seat somewhere and that he overtakes the Williams cars a lot, will be sweet to watch.

Hulkenberg and overtaking? :lol: He passed only 6 cars from the established teams in a whole year! Even Timo Glock was attacking his position in terms of overtaking... :)

#26 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:08

F1's next Sato, Pastor Mcdonaldo.

2008: His first full season in GP2, this time with team Piquet Sports. Finished 5 in the standings with 60 points but only 4 points behind runner up Bruno Senna.

2010: GP2 Champion with team Rapax, setting a new record of six consecutive feature race wins(Turkey, Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Hungary and Spa-Francorchamps).

Posted Image

#27 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:22

He is 25. 26 next year.

#28 DavidJoeF1

DavidJoeF1

• 100 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:46

I'm starting to dislike Hulkenberg due to his fanboys polluting the forum. What did he do to deserve such loyalty?

I say welcome Pastor. Show us what you got.

Dont be so dismissive of Nico's fans. He has performed incredibly well and without being a menace at any point. He debuted in f1 with less than 500 miles of testing [compared to Hamilton's over 7,000]. His teammate was the most experienced driver in f1 who also finished third in the 2009 WDC.

Under such difficult circumstances to then win pole position at a track that is his teammate's backyard and his performance in the race so impressive. I'd say that Nico in a good car would be competitive with the best in f1 today and no wonder he has attracted a loyal fan base.

#29 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:04

He is 25. 26 next year.

and 27 the year after.

#30 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:57

This Just in!

Great News
Since i've already proved i'm willing to spend lots of daddys money to fulfill my dream and become an F1 driver, I've decided that the next step in my journey is to have lots of fans. So daddy has offered to pay €5 a week to everyone who follows me on twitter!
Surely if you can buy your way to the top, buying support shouldnt be too hard

Why didnt I think of that??????? :confused:

#31 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 13:04

Since i've already proved i'm willing to spend lots of daddys money to fulfill my dream and become an F1 driver...

It's not daddys, it's El Presidente's :p

#32 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 13:25

Dont be so dismissive of Nico's fans.

There's a big and important difference between a fan and a fanboy. I would regard myself as a fan of Hulkenberg but I'm not petty that I would 'hate' or dismiss Maldonado because he has taken his seat. Hopefully Hulkenberg will find his way into F1 next season or certainly in the next few years but the fact of the matter is that while Pastor comes in with some money, he DID actually win the GP2 series - not buy it - so he does come in on merit despite what some would have us believe. Good luck to Maldonado and good luck to Hulkenberg too.

#33 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 13:29

There's a big and important difference between a fan and a fanboy. I would regard myself as a fan of Hulkenberg but I'm not petty that I would 'hate' or dismiss Maldonado because he has taken his seat. Hopefully Hulkenberg will find his way into F1 next season or certainly in the next few years but the fact of the matter is that while Pastor comes in with some money, he DID actually win the GP2 series - not buy it - so he does come in on merit despite what some would have us believe. Good luck to Maldonado and good luck to Hulkenberg too.

:up:

#34 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 13:33

This Just in!

That's not the real maldonado twitter account, and no ammount of money will ever buy Ricardo Rosset a F1 seat.

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 21 December 2010 - 13:37.

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 13:53

That's not the real maldonado twitter account

:eek:

#36 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 14:13

:eek:

What i am saying is that @pastormaldonado do exist as a twitter account but it is a "fake" one, you smart arse.

#37 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 14:57

That's not the real maldonado twitter account, and no ammount of money will ever buy Ricardo Rosset a F1 seat.

But it already did - he competed in 33 (I think) GP's in the late 90's

Obviously thats not a real post from Pass Moremoney, sorry, Patsor Maldonados twitter......

#38 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 16:42

But it already did - he competed in 33 (I think) GP's in the late 90's

Obviously thats not a real post from Pass Moremoney, sorry, Patsor Maldonados twitter......

I didn't know that, but it is interesting that you have choosen a driver who drove for the Mastercard Lola F1 Team and could not even match Jos Verstapen for your joke.

81 days to go. :kiss:

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 21 December 2010 - 17:08.

#39 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 17:24

I didn't know that, but it is interesting that you have choosen a driver who drove for the Mastercard Lola F1 Team and could not even match Jos Verstapen for your joke.

81 days to go. :kiss:

Remember Rosset was second in F3000, so it's not that improbable a reference  ;)

Advertisement

#40 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 575 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:37

Ahh Rosset, funny guy.

Anyway I hope Pastor does really well and Williams actually gets a podium since Rosberg in Singapore 2008?

#41 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:31

Xevi Pujolar to be Pastor race engineer.

#42 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 17:49

Xevi Pujolar to be Pastor race engineer.

At Williams, he formerly worked with the likes of Mark Webber, Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher and most recently Kazuki Nakajima, and this year will engineer fellow Spanish speaker Pastor Maldonado, according to virutasf1.com.

Should come in handy since Pastor's English is a bit rubbish still...

#43 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 18:25

At Williams, he formerly worked with the likes of Mark Webber, Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher and most recently Kazuki Nakajima, and this year will engineer fellow Spanish speaker Pastor Maldonado, according to virutasf1.com.

Should come in handy since Pastor's English is a bit rubbish still...

I still think they'll encourage him to improve it though. If you think about the language levels of some of the F1 drivers (Alonso, Rosberg, Massa, even Schumacher are all polyglots), then Pastor, along with people like Petrov and Kobayashi (it's harder for these two however seeing as their native language doesn't use the Latin alphabet), is lagging behind.

#44 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 14:37

Winter testing is over and Pastor seems quite confident that he can do well:

I feel more than ready to start my first season in Formula One. I have never been to Melbourne before but we’ve done a good amount of testing which will add to the time I have spent learning the circuit in our simulator. I am now just looking forward to going racing. It will be a very exciting moment. My aim this weekend is to get a solid finish, and to score some points.

With about a race weekend worth of testing(750 Km) due mainly to reliability issues with the FW33 before his first race, i don't understand how he can say he is more than ready to go racing. Any way good luck to him, i think he is going to need it.

#45 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:31

With about a race weekend worth of testing(750 Km) due mainly to reliability issues with the FW33 before his first race, i don't understand how he can say he is more than ready to go racing. Any way good luck to him, i think he is going to need it.

Well, he's a racing driver. Overconfidence comes with the territory  ;)

#46 Levike

Levike

• 1,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 19:37

Well, he's a racing driver. Overconfidence comes with the territory ;)

:up:

#47 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 21:27

I think that this thread finally deserves to be reinvigorated now that we are at Pastor's favourite track. He finally looks to be getting the hang of F1 now.

#48 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:02

I think that this thread finally deserves to be reinvigorated now that we are at Pastor's favourite track. He finally looks to be getting the hang of F1 now.

He had terrible luck in his first two races, a dismal race pace in the next two, and once again a dismal race pace in Barcelona, but his great Q2 session helped him save face.

The Williams looks fast over one lap, which will help them in qualifying. The fact that Pastor eats this track for breakfast will put him in Q3, you heard it here first. The problem is the race pace, but since the tyres are not degrading that much and the circuit is tight, overtaking will be next to impossible, so they have an advantage there. It all depends in qualifying. I predict points for Maldonado here.

#49 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:17

Hopefully he will improve his showing at this race, considering his experience with it.

Edited by Bunchies, 26 May 2011 - 22:41.

#50 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 16:43

Pastor's Q2 lap in Barcelona was very flamboyant.

This guys is fast and doing better than the overated Hulkenberg, imo