Pastor Maldonado Thread [Merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1360 replies to this topic

#1201 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,952 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:34

Here's the list, it's 13 depending how you count:
Chinese GP: 1) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Impeding Heikki Kovalainen during Q1, reprimand
Bahrain: -2) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Drops 5 places on the grid for taking a replacement gearbox
Monaco: 3) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Breach of Article 16.1 of the FIA's Sporting Code, 10 place grid drop
Canada: - 4) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Investigated for impeding Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus) during Q1, racing incident, no further action
- 5) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Drops 5 places on the grid for taking a replacement gearbox
Europe GP: - 6) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during FP3, 66.1 km/h fined € 1,400,
7) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Collision with Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) Drive through penalty post race, 20 seconds added to elapsed time
British: - 8) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Caused a collision with Sergio Perez (Sauber) Fined €10,000 and given a reprimand
German: -9) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Speeding in the pitlane during FP1 66.0 kmh, fined €1,200
Hungary: - 10) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) Caused a collision with car no 11 Paul di Resta, drive through penalty
Spa: - 11) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) The driver of Car 18 impeded Car 12 at Turns 18 and 19, drop of 3 grid places
- 12) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) The driver of Car 18 jump start, 5 grid drop penalty
13) Pastor Maldonado (Williams) causing a collision with cAR 24 on Lap Five. 5 grid drop penalty

I say it's time for Williams to show this crashaholic the door and put Valtteri Bottas in for the remainder of the season.

Advertisement

#1202 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:38

As a Williams fan I must admit to getting a bit tired of Pastors' behaviour. In their own right a jump start and a tangle with a backmarker are not the end of the world but looking back at the season so far and it is one incident after the next. The only weekend he hasn't seemed to go into brain fade mode was Spain and he won there!

I recall that when Williams take on a new driver they do some sort of aptitude test and have banged on about how each new driver has done better than the rest. Nothing when Pastor signed and he does seem to be a slow learner.

Somebody needs to get hold of him and calm him down a bit, be it Williams/Wolff/Gillan or Wurz. As it is he has a 10 place grid penalty for Monza, and with the pace of FI and Sauber at Spa they should go well there too I would think. Coupled with Senna's insistence on not trying to understand qualifying (best way I could word it) points look a remote possibility next weekend

Edited by Little Leaf, 03 September 2012 - 05:40.

#1203 dave34m

dave34m

• 434 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:06

grosjean pitched a car into the air at the start of the race that landed on the front of alonso's car.

Drama Queen?

#1204 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,053 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:20

.... I honestly don't care if he crashes into everybody on the grid....

Genuine question: Do you see yourself an F1 fan?

#1205 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:48

FI is ahead of Williams in WCC. And Williams has won the race actually where FI's best result is 4th, and mostly thanks to the crash in first corner in Spa.

Yes, Maldo is bloody fast, but Frank should be really pissed with the ammount of points/money lost due do Pastor's behaviour. I doubt that worth of PDVSA sponsorship - they've got their reputation damaged, haven't they?

#1206 GT Racing Online Magazine

GT Racing Online Magazine

• 824 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:25

Ah, okay then. On the feed I watched they showed a camera from behind him facing the lights and in slow-mo it still looked perfectly legitimate--my feed must've been missing a few frames. :p

Penalty aside, he had almost zero wheelspin on that start--even after watching it again and again I have no idea how he accelerated as fast as he did. :lol:

The framerate is not optimal but here - if you frame-by-frame it towards the end of 3 seconds, you can clearly see how the car is clearly on the move when the red lights are still on.

#1207 Oho

Oho

• 7,484 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:43

The framerate is not optimal but here - if you frame-by-frame it towards the end of 3 seconds, you can clearly see how the car is clearly on the move when the red lights are still on.

At some point BBC showed Charlie Whiting waving his head in disbelief in starters tower when he saw Maldonado launch, looked hilarious.

#1208 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:55

maldonado will be in the sport for a while yet and will win more races for williams and also allow them to remain profitble with their F1 business. I honestly don't care if he crashes into everybody on the grid. so you're rationalizing with the wrong person.

What you are clearly saying there is, 'I'm not a rational person, and I don't care about any other driver apart from my favourite one.' I suggest that Nascar is the sport that you should be watching, as it's more suited to your mentality.

#1209 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,633 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:01

1 spot in WCC chart ~10 million. How much does Maldonado's sponsor pay Williams for his seat?

No way it's ~10 million.

From what I've read some time ago it's about $3-7 millions per spot. 10 million may be between 1st and 2nd, or something like that. But being 5th instead of 8th gives you between $10-20 millions more.

PDVSA pay Williams about $45 million per year, and the amount is increasing year by year and can reach more than $50 million in 2015, as the deal is for 5 years.

To compare: the whole Williams' budget in 2011 was around $135 million.

And now you can clearly see: Williams can't afford of dropping PDVSA sponsorship. If Williams' budget would decrease from $135 million to $90 million it would be a disaster for them. They couldn't afford to keep their facilities and engineering on current level. They would need to fire many, many people. Or make a biiiig debt. They couldn't produce so many upgrades to the car and spend enough money for car development. They competitiveness falls even more than with the wrong drivers.
And money from WCC would come at the end of the year, not at the beginning. But probably would've been no difference as dropping PDVSA sponsorship would lead to make the team less competitve so even more competitive driver wouldn't score much more points.

Edited by Anderis, 03 September 2012 - 09:10.

#1210 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:20

So the best option was to save Maldonado but keep an expirienced mature driver in the line up as well. Don't care if it was Rubens or anybody else.

I was saying this winter - if Williams FW34 is crap then it doesn't matter who will drive it. BUT if the car is fine (and FW34 is really more than just "fine") two rookies can screw it up, underperforming in a spectacular way. I'm afraid that is the case.

#1211 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:23

No way it's ~10 million.

From what I've read some time ago it's about $3-7 millions per spot. 10 million may be between 1st and 2nd, or something like that. But being 5th instead of 8th gives you between $10-20 millions more.

PDVSA pay Williams about $45 million per year, and the amount is increasing year by year and can reach more than $50 million in 2015, as the deal is for 5 years.

To compare: the whole Williams' budget in 2011 was around $135 million.

And now you can clearly see: Williams can't afford of dropping PDVSA sponsorship. If Williams' budget would decrease from $135 million to $90 million it would be a disaster for them. They couldn't afford to keep their facilities and engineering on current level. They would need to fire many, many people. Or make a biiiig debt. They couldn't produce so many upgrades to the car and spend enough money for car development. They competitiveness falls even more than with the wrong drivers.
And money from WCC would come at the end of the year, not at the beginning. But probably would've been no difference as dropping PDVSA sponsorship would lead to make the team less competitve so even more competitive driver wouldn't score much more points.

So it seems nothing he'll do will stop him from driving that Williams. Apart from an official FIA ban (fingerscrossed). I hope the Venezuelans understand they're paying 45 million a year to see this monkey crash around in F1. Country seemed like a proper shithole from the demonstration lap video so they might want to spend that money on something more useful :well:

#1212 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:43

As a Williams fan I must admit to getting a bit tired of Pastors' behaviour. In their own right a jump start and a tangle with a backmarker are not the end of the world but looking back at the season so far and it is one incident after the next. The only weekend he hasn't seemed to go into brain fade mode was Spain and he won there!

I recall that when Williams take on a new driver they do some sort of aptitude test and have banged on about how each new driver has done better than the rest. Nothing when Pastor signed and he does seem to be a slow learner.

Somebody needs to get hold of him and calm him down a bit, be it Williams/Wolff/Gillan or Wurz. As it is he has a 10 place grid penalty for Monza, and with the pace of FI and Sauber at Spa they should go well there too I would think. Coupled with Senna's insistence on not trying to understand qualifying (best way I could word it) points look a remote possibility next weekend

Sadly, I think you're on the money here; I'm getting fed up with both of our drivers.

#1213 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 14:52

any footage of the glock - maldonado incident?

#1214 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 14:59

There are photos of it but there doesn't seem to be a video.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks like a typical Maldonado lunge.

Edited by TFLB, 03 September 2012 - 15:01.

#1215 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 921 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 14:37

Finally someone linked to it in the race thread

https://www.youtube....player_embedded

#1216 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 14:51

We need one of those 'face-palm' type emoticons for this

#1217 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 14:54

It's even more dumb than what Grosjean did but there isn't a whole field around to wreck..

#1218 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:02

So it seems nothing he'll do will stop him from driving that Williams. Apart from an official FIA ban (fingerscrossed). I hope the Venezuelans understand they're paying 45 million a year to see this monkey crash around in F1. Country seemed like a proper shithole from the demonstration lap video so they might want to spend that money on something more useful :well:

The government in Venezuela don't seem to care about what goes on within the country, so long as they make lots of money for themselves and give the outward impression of a quickly developing country...

#1219 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:04

Doesn't the deal with PDVSA only stipulate a Venezuelan driver, not specifically Maldonado...

The way Pastor is currently 'driving', I even think a call to one Ernesto Viso wouldn't go amiss... He finishes a lot more races than Pastor, and isn't AS crash-happy as he used to be...

Advertisement

#1220 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,989 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:07

Doesn't the deal with PDVSA only stipulate a Venezuelan driver, not specifically Maldonado...

If that's true, I'm looking into how quickly you can get a Venezualen passport right now. I reckon I'd be an upgrade*.

*I am not very good.

#1221 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:10

this is formula junior stuff from pastor

#1222 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:13

If that's true, I'm looking into how quickly you can get a Venezualen passport right now. I reckon I'd be an upgrade*.

*I am not very good.

I might try and do the same thing.*

*I'm also not very good. Don't even have a driving licence...

#1223 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:20

I see his behaviour hasn't change one iota. He still refuses to take any responsibility for his mistakes.

"The clutch lever slid out of my hand and that's why I started before the lights went off," he said. I see he therefore blames it on the coefficient of friction between his gloves and the steering wheel.

"At the restart, I locked the fronts when I was far away from Timo and not trying to do anything against him.

"He was starting to turn in and I touched him in the rear right. There was nothing I could do. I tried to go up the inside, but he was turning at the same time." There was something you could do Pastor, not be there in the first place.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102293

#1224 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 801 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:39

I'm going to make a stupid prediction for the end of next season (2013).

Maldonado is going to calm down; he actually had a clean race in Monza!!! And if the Williams remains strong next season, then he will have multiple wins, will finish in the top six (trouncing his new teammate, Bottas) and probably be involved in 2 incidents caused by him.

Having said that, he'll probably go mental again at Singapore :well: .

#1225 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:28

Signaproe is a Street circuit - Pastor has to crash there.

#1226 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:31

Signaproe is a Street circuit - Pastor has to crash there.

Likely to rather than has to, but I get where you are coming from.

The only thing of interest now is what excuse he will use: blinded by the street lights? Raffles was in a different place last year?

#1227 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:51

Williams will be super quick in Singapore, expect another top3 qualy from Maldonado

#1228 joora

joora

• 329 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 18:05

Hoping Pastor will bring some serious points from Singapore, Williams really needs them.

#1229 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,606 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 18:38

im on the fence about the pdvsa thing, i mean theres shell, repsol, mobil 1 sponsoring motorsport forever, so its a normal thing that presumeably has some comercial merit for a oil company

there are a bunch of drivers in sportscars running around with venizalua sponsorship, which is :/ for me

the previous rulers where crooks

#1230 Junky

Junky

• 272 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:03

Not bad for a paydriver! :lol:

#1231 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:04

he's quick

just don't crash like a muppet at the start please

#1232 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,190 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:05

Ive said some horrible things about Pastor and some of them are quite deserved but damn ... What a can of whoopass he can open when hes ready.

#1233 bub

bub

• 1,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:19

Impressive today

#1234 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,430 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:20

Very good job, let's hope tomorrow he race as clean as possible and finish on the podium, the kid deserves a good result.

#1235 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 270 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:34

Williams will be super quick in Singapore, expect another top3 qualy from Maldonado

Nice one! What about the race? Can he do it?

#1236 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,633 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:39

Lol, I'm really starting to think that Pastor may be the best qualifier in current F1. It's another time when he did a stunning result in qualifying despite that in free practices and Q1 car didn't look like a rocketship.

I'm delighted how he performs in qualifying so far. :love: His decisive lap is usually much quicker than the rest of his laps earlier in the weekend which is very good thing.

Pity he usually can't maintain his performances in the races but I still believe he may start to do it more often than not at certain point.

Edited by Anderis, 22 September 2012 - 14:40.

#1237 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:59

:smoking:

#1238 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:00

Well called mate.

:up:

Its frustrating because the car is, for the first time in ages, both quick and reliable. Its the drivers that are the problem. The less said about Bruno today the better but as for Pastor, well, no one has ever really doubted he can be quick but its his tendency to succumb to the red mist when under pressure that has been his downfall. That he has scored no points since Barca is entirely down to some over ambitious moves and some down right stupid moves.

If he can keep a clear head tomorrow and avoid any nonsense into turn 1 then he should score a ton of points. I have all my fingers crossed!

#1239 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:02

Very good job, let's hope tomorrow he race as clean as possible and finish on the podium, the kid deserves a good result.

No, he doesn't.

Let's not suddenly get lovey-dovey just because he qualified well. He shouldn't even be in the car. If Grosjean got a race ban for the start at Spa, Maldonado should have been kicked for the rest of the season by now.

Advertisement

#1240 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,542 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:03

:smoking:

Credit to you sir. Probably more credit also as you haven't bothered to try and predict his race result, as frankly who knows which Pastor will wake up tomorrow.

#1241 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:05

Baddoer, what made you believe Williams would be so quick? Was it Maldonado's performance in Valencia?

#1242 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 784 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:10

Credit to you sir. Probably more credit also as you haven't bothered to try and predict his race result, as frankly who knows which Pastor will wake up tomorrow.

"Hello, Dr. Jekyll? Its Mr. Hyde here"
\
Posted Image

#1243 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,633 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:10

as for Pastor, well, no one has ever really doubted he can be quick

I'm not so sure. I think before this season many people would doubt that he has enough speed to score a race win in a not-dominant car.

#1244 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 270 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 15:29

No, he doesn't.

Let's not suddenly get lovey-dovey just because he qualified well. He shouldn't even be in the car. If Grosjean got a race ban for the start at Spa, Maldonado should have been kicked for the rest of the season by now.

He didn't just qualify "well" did he?

Speed that puts you with those at top table is a very rare and valuable commodity. Being a race winner on merit in a slower car confirms that.

Williams would be insane to jettison him. He's on the up, they are on the up. I'm a fairly impartial ABF (anyone but Ferrari) F1 fan. I think Williams comparative performance this year has been my highlight. I love it!! Mad Dog Pastor for the win!

#1245 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:44

Lol, I'm really starting to think that Pastor may be the best qualifier in current F1. It's another time when he did a stunning result in qualifying despite that in free practices and Q1 car didn't look like a rocketship.

I'm delighted how he performs in qualifying so far. :love: His decisive lap is usually much quicker than the rest of his laps earlier in the weekend which is very good thing.

Pity he usually can't maintain his performances in the races but I still believe he may start to do it more often than not at certain point.

I have been saying that for a while now.

No, he doesn't.

A lot of people thinks differently ;)

#1246 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:49

I'm not so sure. I think before this season many people would doubt that he has enough speed to score a race win in a not-dominant car.

He seems pretty quick no doubt. Reminds me of Montoya, though Montoya had the better personality... just a bit better. Maldonado always seems quite aggressive in appearance. I'm always off-put by that soft speaking voice behind those eyes that seem so aggressive. He's definitely quick, but he has issues and it's been demonstrated in his racing. Monty didn't get over his attitude and ended up out of F1. Let's see if Maldonado does better though I see him as having a greater attitudinal mountain to climb. Good luck to him since I'd love to see such talent fully expressed.

#1247 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 710 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:30

"Hello, Dr. Jekyll? Its Mr. Hyde here"
\
Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to follow quali on twitter today due to work and it not being on R5L so I haven't seen his lap yet... but I'm glad to see Pastor showing why he's in F1. Hope he has a good race.

Edited by SpartanChas, 22 September 2012 - 19:35.

#1248 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,788 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:31

Nice one Pastor :up:

#1249 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,633 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:34

Posted Image

Would be hilarious if someone can put Hamilton's and Perez' faces on this knife. ;)

#1250 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:34

Maldonado is amazing. His speed is making me a fan. Keep it up!