Photo

Pastor Maldonado Thread [Merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1360 replies to this topic

#1251 keiichi

keiichi

• 293 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:34

I was pretty impressed with him today. If he can stop being a moron on track he will probably be a top F1 driver in the future.

Advertisement

#1252 KavB

KavB

• 1,085 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:17

Very good job. I hope he finally ends his points draught!

#1253 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,893 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:23

if maldonado gets away from the start well, his tyre management skills will keep him out front in the race. this would be the perfect time for a skillful victory ahead of hamilton.
he's already put alonso in the shade in barcelona.

#1254 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:27

Will the hot head of Maldonado take out Hamilton again? Surely, Maldonado does not need to take a risk with Hamilton. Completing a race and acquiring points would make him a hero at Williams to secure his seat for next year?

Edited by rabbitleader, 22 September 2012 - 20:57.

#1255 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,013 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:29

Given FPs, I think Williams tire management are up there. A dry race with no SC would help his case a lot, I have high hopes for him on this race. Now if he loses a couple of spots on the start or after a SC all bets are off. He might as well crash or lose a wing, etc. If he is up there for a podium though, he will deliver it. GO MALDO!

#1256 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 746 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:36

Would be hilarious if someone can put Hamilton's and Perez' faces on this knife.;)

Yeah OK, I'll put it in the Photoshop thread though.

#1257 BRG

BRG

• 11,579 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:38

Surely, Maldonado does not need to take a risk with Hamilton.

But there is history there, is there not? Will Pastor be able to resist getting the jump on his old foe?

#1258 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:50

But there is history there, is there not? Will Pastor be able to resist getting the jump on his old foe?

If so, Pastor does not deserve a seat in the Williams if he is more focused on Lewis than running his own race. The team have bigger issues at stake than Maldonado's ego.....Where is William's share price these days?

#1259 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:56

Baddoer, what made you believe Williams would be so quick? Was it Maldonado's performance in Valencia?

Even in Jerez was evident how good FW34 under braking, it is very stable and well planted. That car is almost impossible to oversteer, opposite to Sauber. In that kind of tracks it is very crucial. Yes, Valencia was quite telling. God knows how Bruno was able to put that car into a wall. Fingers crossed for tomorrows race it just can't be third time in a row.

Edited by Baddoer, 22 September 2012 - 20:56.

Advertisement

#1260 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:58

Will the hot thead of Maldonado take out Hamilton again? Surely, Maldonado does not need to take a risk with Hamilton. Completing a race and acquiring points would make him a hero at Williams to secure his seat for next year?

In the other hand, Hamilton could not risk championship points and Pastor have nothing to lose. Surely Lewis have something to think about tonight.

Edited by Baddoer, 22 September 2012 - 20:59.

#1261 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:02

In the other hand, Hamilton could not risk championship points and Pastor have nothing to lose. Surely Lewis have something to think about tonight.

Pastor nothing to lose??? He is in a battle to keep his seat or his Senna that bad that he does not need to worry? A few points would help his cause rather than a stupid DNF.

And there is also the FIA who will jump on him if he even slightly steps out of line given recent warnings about the driving standards of some rookie drivers.

Edited by rabbitleader, 22 September 2012 - 21:03.

#1262 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,893 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:35

Will the hot head of Maldonado take out Hamilton again? Surely, Maldonado does not need to take a risk with Hamilton. Completing a race and acquiring points would make him a hero at Williams to secure his seat for next year?

the only people who think so much about poor hami are his fan boys. maldonado went out there to quali as best he could hustle the car, tomorrow he will manage his tyres better than any body else and bring home the win. he's not out there wondering about hamilton at all.

#1263 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:01

the only people who think so much about poor hami are his fan boys. maldonado went out there to quali as best he could hustle the car, tomorrow he will manage his tyres better than any body else and bring home the win. he's not out there wondering about hamilton at all.

LOL....you sound more like a fan boy of Pastor than perhaps the "poor hami fan boys" you are referring to.

#1264 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:11

Sebi is quite aggressive, isn't he, starting 3rd on the clean side...

#1265 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:18

Pastor nothing to lose??? He is in a battle to keep his seat

LOL didn't you get the memo Pastor's seat is bought and paid for until 2014 with big bucks from Venezuela
The contract was out there for all to see

Lewis better think twice about dueling with him tomorrow if he wants to keep his championship hopes alive
Gonna be interesting

#1266 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:32

I think it's fair to say that Pastor has been the qualifying sensation of 2012, well done to him.
Perhaps tomorrow he can re-write some of his 2012 raceday history.
At the sharp end of the grid in a race that pretty much ALWAYS sees the safety car deployed.
A podium for Pastor would be a fair return for his speed and would show that racecraft was being added to his growing list of abilities.
But he'll need the mental toughness to keep his concentration sharp for the full race distance.
A good result here will be testimony to his ability to race fast and..............................................finish! :smoking:

#1267 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:48

Stunning lap in Singapore, this guy is fast. :up:

I see the haters on here finally got their whipping boy in Maldonado, must feel good in their small good guy/bad guy world to have someone to lash at. At least they are all revealed in this thread.

#1268 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,893 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:41

LOL....you sound more like a fan boy of Pastor than perhaps the "poor hami fan boys" you are referring to.

I'm not blaming any one but pastor for his mistakes. which have been legendary and disappointing to a williams fan who wants to see his team fulfill its potential.
on the other hand, I am a big fan of his approach.
hell for leather and let the chips fall where they may. he has been seriously fast all season and the only way he is going to stay out front is to push hard and take no quarter.
hamilton will think twice about chopping in front of maldonado and that is a card in maldonado's hand, not lewis's.

#1269 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,464 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:09

Sebi is quite aggressive, isn't he, starting 3rd on the clean side...

Certainly possible that both Pastor and Seb will be out with collision into each other at first corner. At least one must back off and give room...

I imagine it will be Seb that will take it easy into turn 1 as he needs to think of WDC and the RBR while improved, is still not one of the better starting cars.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 23 September 2012 - 02:10.

#1270 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,884 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:11

Certainly possible that both Pastor and Seb will be out with collision into each other at first corner. At least one must back off and give room...

I imagine it will be Seb that will take it easy into turn 1 as he needs to think of WDC and the RBR while improved, is still not one of the better starting cars.

Or perhaps before the first corner.  ;)

#1271 Techcheat

Techcheat

• 159 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:40

Absolutely FAB job done by Pastor. Reminds me of yester years Montoya. I know the English press and fans are out to get him, but you can only shut the talent by spinning to an extent. Pastor has made errors no doubt, but those same errors of judgement have been displayed many a times by Schumi, Hamilton and Grojsean. Folks are not out to get Grojsean because he doesnt fit the press narative of crash kid from south america, Maldanado does!

Here is hoping that Maldo gets off to a good start and hopefully wins or salvages a podium. Lets see how aggressive a start Seb makes, because its about time he pays for pushing other folks to the walls at the start by cutting across. Karma is a b****

Edited by Techcheat, 23 September 2012 - 07:41.

#1272 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 746 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:04

If he gets a launch like he got at Spa, but at the right time, he could definitely win.

#1273 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:12

I don't know how he pulled that lap out the bag but it was impressive. He could be a danger man for the win especially if that Williams handles its tyres better then the others, I just hope if he needs to do any overtaking he does it cleanly.

Edited by RedOne, 23 September 2012 - 08:13.

#1274 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:16

Absolutely FAB job done by Pastor. Reminds me of yester years Montoya. I know the English press and fans are out to get him, but you can only shut the talent by spinning to an extent. Pastor has made errors no doubt, but those same errors of judgement have been displayed many a times by Schumi, Hamilton and Grojsean. Folks are not out to get Grojsean because he doesnt fit the press narative of crash kid from south america, Maldanado does!

Here is hoping that Maldo gets off to a good start and hopefully wins or salvages a podium. Lets see how aggressive a start Seb makes, because its about time he pays for pushing other folks to the walls at the start by cutting across. Karma is a b****

Yawn. It's universally agreed that he is a liability. English press my arse! You even had webber jumping out the way of him!

#1275 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:18

I've criticised Pastor many times this season, but hats off to him for yesterday that was a truly stunning lap, best lap of the day. Clearly the lad is very fast, if he can compose himself more in races he could be something quite special.

#1276 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,941 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23

I've criticised Pastor many times this season, but hats off to him for yesterday that was a truly stunning lap, best lap of the day. Clearly the lad is very fast, if he can compose himself more in races he could be something quite special.

Well said.. :up:

#1277 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,394 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:40

Quoting this for truth. The guy has a very healthy dose of speed but needs to keep in check with reality and wisdom badly. Let's see if he can check that one of his list when (if) he's not ahead on the start.

#1278 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:44

I'm getting quite excited. I know I should want Lewis to win, but come on Pasta!

#1279 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,502 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:56

agreed :up:

Advertisement

#1280 travbrad

travbrad

• 620 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:13

Yep I think that's what is so frustrating about his crashes. He clearly has a tremendous amount of raw speed and talent, so when he has silly crashes it feels like a waste of that talent.

#1281 Techcheat

Techcheat

• 159 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:50

Yawn. It's universally agreed that he is a liability. English press my arse! You even had webber jumping out the way of him!

Didnt know when you were given "universal" rights to speak for the world. Grow up kiddo!

Edited by Techcheat, 23 September 2012 - 11:52.

#1282 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,643 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:02

Unlucky with the DNF, but the three-stop strategy looked like it had killed his race result already. Not sure those brakes would have lasted two hours though - that pass where he got crossed up through the kink and still got it stop with a Victorian mill's worth of smoke and dust was spectacular!

#1283 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:17

I don't even like the guy but I was sad to see his sensible approach to the race today being 'rewarded' with a DNF. Hope he keeps this up though and the results will come. :up:

Edited by Raifosa, 23 September 2012 - 15:18.

#1284 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,755 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:54

i've been very critic with his brain farts this year but today he was very very good
unfortunate but that's racing....

#1285 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 793 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:22

A bad day at the office for Williams but Pastor can hold his head up after a sustained mature and professional effort over the weekend as a whole

#1286 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 23:07

And in other news... Pastor doesn't do anything bone-headed. And drives quite well for once.

#1287 Collective

Collective

• 1,099 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:40

A bad day at the office for Williams but Pastor can hold his head up after a sustained mature and professional effort over the weekend as a whole

:up:

#1288 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:00

:up:
Good one Pastor. Keep it up!!

#1289 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:15

Pastor, very unlucky to DNF. He was superb during the quali and race, nice ballsy overtake :up: :up: .

If he can keep it this way, Williams will get couple of podiums and move them up the ladder.

#1290 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,360 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:22

Kudos to Pastor for an amazing drive today. Shame it had to end the way it did--don't give up. :up:

#1291 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:38

Both Williams drivers drove very well yesterday but unfortunately the car expired on both counts.

#1292 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:11

Indeed, kudos to Pastor, he drove well, not hot-headed and managed to drive a clean race.

It seems something might be getting through to him.

#1293 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04

Indeed, kudos to Pastor, he drove well, not hot-headed and managed to drive a clean race.

It seems something might be getting through to him.

Indeed, this would seem to be the case. Alonso took the racing to him and things were quite clean between them.

#1294 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:40

Wow. You would think that Pastor had come up with a cure for cancer by the way people are talking about him post-Singapore....

On that note, i see that he has declared that 'Singapore proves that i can race cleanly and at the front'. Sorry chap, it doesnt. You only did half the race.

He ran cleanly for a whole race at Valencia before binning it on the penultimate lap, afterall.

#1295 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,045 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:50

By that logic, if a driver raced the wrong way around the track for half the race and then crashed, it wouldn't prove he's ****ing nuts because he only did half the race.

#1296 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 232 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:32

Maldanado did OK in Singapore, the start was a bit messy but I wonder if this was simply a case of being over-careful and running himself off line in order to avoid contact.

This thread has been full of people saying he's got nothing to lose, pays for his seat, etc - but it's not nice in ANY profession to be looked down upon by your peers and it must be horrible to be known as the dangerous crashkid.

I think the opinion of the other drivers will be the main force behind PM cooling his head, rather than Williams or FIA discipline.

#1297 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:38

Nice to see you people giving Pastor the credit he deserved this weekend :up:

#1298 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:47

Nice to see you people giving Pastor the credit he deserved this weekend :up:

Maldonado's negative commentary hasn't come undeserved. So it's no surprise that he now gets praise when it's deserved.

#1299 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,502 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:10

I think he has potential. Afterall, you can take a young, fast guy and get him to slow down just a touch to quit crashing; but you can't take a slow guy and make him fast*. Pastor will mature, and improve. Hell, he might turn out to be pretty damn good.

*(I know this because I am the slow guy)

Advertisement

#1300 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:54

I think he has potential. Afterall, you can take a young, fast guy and get him to slow down just a touch to quit crashing; but you can't take a slow guy and make him fast*. Pastor will mature, and improve. Hell, he might turn out to be pretty damn good.[/size]

Hopefully he won't take too long or else he's become a national embarrassment in Venezuela and PDVSA cuts the umbilical cord.