Photo

Pastor Maldonado Thread [Merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1360 replies to this topic

#101 Oho

Oho

• 7,452 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 13:31

To be fair, although moron is a bit extreme, I think it's hard to disagree in this case. Maldonado is saying he actually chose to ignore the blue flags - that can't be allowed to happen.

Actually I think by far the worst stunt, and the one that could have put his license under review, by Maldonado or any one for that matter in years was what seemed like intentionally driving into Hamilton at Spa after the session was over.

Advertisement

#102 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 16:35

At the very least, he's going to be a good measure stick for Kimi. If Kimi starts beating him regularly on the second half of the season, I would say his return is a sucess.

Well, that will have to remain academic given that Raikkonnen is not coming back.

#103 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:31

All drivers are running their own races, they can't sacrifice it to make life easy for the front runners. Put Hamilton or Vettel or the like in a backmarking car at one of the hardest tracks to get out of the way on and see how they like it. And it's nice to see a driver sticking up for himself instead of all the PR talk.

When drivers are about to be lapped they have to ruin their own race for a moment, as they are obliged to let cars on lead lap through. Maybe it's not what they want, but that's what regulations say and they have to deal with oi, otherwise they will be penalised, as they were in Abu Dhabi.

Oh, and I remember in 2009 Lewis was lapped in few races and he was causing no problems, even when he was fighting with other drivers.

Typical blonde. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant typical troll. :wave:

:yawnface: :rolleyes:

He is a nutter. A fast nutter nonetheless!! And he's improving his consistency. Soon he'll be a fast consistent nutter.

The nutter part is not going away though. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Yep, but I'm afraid he can cause very nasty accident and we saw a glimpse of that at Spa. As Martin Haven said back in 2009. there are two versions of Pastor. Good version - fast and consistent, and bad one - making stupid mistakes, having brainfades and being very dangerous to other drivers.

Actually I think by far the worst stunt, and the one that could have put his license under review, by Maldonado or any one for that matter in years was what seemed like intentionally driving into Hamilton at Spa after the session was over.

This. Given his shameful history in lower categories, if I was steward, he wouldn't start Belgian GP and his license would be temporary for the rest of the season, in case he can pull it off again. But money rules the world, so...

#104 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:40

There are two versions of Pastor. Good version - fast and consistent, and bad one - making stupid mistakes, having brainfades and being very dangerous to other drivers.

I think this sums up Pastor's rookie season really...

#105 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 687 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 14:35

Well I think Pastor is one of the best 6 or 7 drivers in the grid this year, yeah I mean it. The guy got the speed and the FW34 is really suiting him.

And looking at how Hulkenberg is getting destroyed by Paul race after race I think it wasn't a bad choice to have Pastor, he brought a good amount of sponsorship and he's very brave on the track, clumsy some times but very exciting to watch! :)

#106 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,550 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:24

Well I think Pastor is one of the best 6 or 7 drivers in the grid this year, yeah I mean it.

That's it. :up:

He doesn't have too much luck this year and made several mistakes, but his pace is stunning. He's not only fast. He is consistently fast. Although his results aren't very impressive so far, I'm sure this will change soon and more people will realise how quick he can be. For me he is the Hamilton of the midfield. Maybe he could score more points on some ocassion if he wouldn't be so agressive, but he is very quick and almost unbeatable on his good day. I look forward to see what he can do on the tracks that suit more for both him and FW34 than Bahrain and China. With some luck, he will astonish those people who don't believe that he is good driver. He is going to make some mistakes for sure, but I'm sure he will have some more consistent weekends too. If he will mature a bit, may become a really top driver. Great deal for the team with his sponsorship.

I think you would have trouble to find more than 5-6 drivers who would drive FW34 consistently faster than him. Maybe he didn't deliver the best this season due to mistakes, but he proved earlier in his career that he can start driving consistent when get into a proper rhythm. I'm sure he won't be doing so much mistakes when become accustomed to fighting for big points. He haven't done a major mistake since he had missed the pit in Malaysia. Since then he had an engine failure, puncture and have suffered due to chaos on first lap in China which wasn't his mistake. His race in China was very good since then and he was stunning in Bahrain until he got a puncture. So lack of results was caused one time due to his mistake (Australia) and two times due to bad luck (failures in Malaysia and Bahrain). In China he could have a better result with better luck also. But bad luck won't last forever and he is going to have some great races this season and my bet is that he will score a podium position in 2012.

#107 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 687 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:40

That's it. :up:

He doesn't have too much luck this year and made several mistakes, but his pace is stunning. He's not only fast. He is consistently fast. Although his results aren't very impressive so far, I'm sure this will change soon and more people will realise how quick he can be. For me he is the Hamilton of the midfield. Maybe he could score more points on some ocassion if he wouldn't be so agressive, but he is very quick and almost unbeatable on his good day. I look forward to see what he can do on the tracks that suit more for both him and FW34 than Bahrain and China. With some luck, he will astonish those people who don't believe that he is good driver. He is going to make some mistakes for sure, but I'm sure he will have some more consistent weekends too. If he will mature a bit, may become a really top driver. Great deal for the team with his sponsorship.

I think you would have trouble to find more than 5-6 drivers who would drive FW34 consistently faster than him. Maybe he didn't deliver the best this season due to mistakes, but he proved earlier in his career that he can start driving consistent when get into a proper rhythm. I'm sure he won't be doing so much mistakes when become accustomed to fighting for big points. He haven't done a major mistake since he had missed the pit in Malaysia. Since then he had an engine failure, puncture and have suffered due to chaos on first lap in China which wasn't his mistake. His race in China was very good since then and he was stunning in Bahrain until he got a puncture. So lack of results was caused one time due to his mistake (Australia) and two times due to bad luck (failures in Malaysia and Bahrain). In China he could have a better result with better luck also. But bad luck won't last forever and he is going to have some great races this season and my bet is that he will score a podium position in 2012.

You're very right! he had all the bad luck this season.

I can't blame him for his crash in Australie, I watched the onboard race and at the last lap Alonso started to struggle with his tires and made an error on turn 3, Pastor found himself in need to exploit that but BANG!!

In china he had to avoid Bruno's slide into Massa and lost 3 places.

In Bahrain Vergne sliced his front wing in Pastor's rear left...

I really hope his stock of bad luck will run out ASAP :p

#108 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:56

Not bad for an useless paydriver :up:

Kept his cool under great pressure made his tyres last, especially in the second and last stin. Top job.

#109 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,469 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:58

What a remarkable victory, no changeable conditions or safety car or chaos. A deserved pole and a controlled performance without a single error with Alonso behind him all race. Like Alonso holding Schumacher behind him at Imola 2005, this race could be a coming of age.

#110 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Very mature drive,very happy for him.

#111 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 576 posts

Either these tyres are a supreme equalizer(for the low) like MS says, or we are seeing that the super stars of the sport really arent much better than other drivers... We have seen perez very close, now maldonado wins.

#112 dav115

dav115

• 715 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 13:59

I thought he should have been DQ'd for that disgraceful hissy fit when he crashed into Hamilton after Spa qualy last year, but credit where it's due he's put in some solid performances since and he really impressed me today not losing his head.

#113 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:02

Humble pie is being served right now.

Go Pastor.

#114 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,356 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:02

Nobody will call him a pay driver anymore, congrats first victory in F1, a brillant victory. No we will see if this a one hit wonder more or less like Perez or if the car will be good in the coming tracks.

Edited by kosmos, 13 May 2012 - 14:02.

#115 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:07

Congrats to Pastor fantastic win :up:

#116 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 576 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:33

First F1 win, and this thread is THIS quiet? :o

#117 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:37

Humble pie is being served right now.

Go Pastor.

The criticism Pastor received at times last year was totally justified. The same way the praise he is now receiving is totally justified.

Great job this weekend. Never in a million years did i think it would happen but a flawless drive.

#118 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:39

Congratulations, Pastor! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not a fan, but I was so impressed with how calm and collected he was through the whole race - he didn't panic, he didn't get overwhelmed, he just got on with it.

Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

But oh god please could he lose the intense stare in the press conference, Pastor honey you already look enough like a serial killer without adding that to the mix... :kiss:

#119 anti

anti

• 377 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:39

Comparison of the drivers Pastor Maldonado VS Fernando Alonso Race Spanish GP 2012 (link)

Advertisement

#120 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:41

Posted Image

Wonderful moment!

Congratulations Pastor and Williams.

Edited by gm914, 13 May 2012 - 14:41.

#121 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,768 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:41

Congratulations, Pastor! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not a fan, but I was so impressed with how calm and collected he was through the whole race - he didn't panic, he didn't get overwhelmed, he just got on with it.

Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

But oh god please could he lose the intense stare in the press conference, Pastor honey you already look enough like a serial killer without adding that to the mix... :kiss:

He is a serial killer.

..of critics.

BAM!

#122 Peat

Peat

• 1,199 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:42

I have been one of Pastor's biggest detractors (justified) but his performance this weekend was supreme.

Good to see someone keeping the flag flying for ugly people now that Kubica has gone.

#123 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:44

I will judge his season after the season is finished.

The tyre situation and seeing which is car is good/bad/etc t ruin perhaps enjoying gp results, I just see Pirelli results. :wave:

There hasn't been enough races, 5 would be enough, but 5 winners from 5 races, it's the most odd start to a season ever. I can't get Pirelli's influence out of my head.

Edited by SeanValen, 13 May 2012 - 14:46.

#124 discover23

discover23

• 3,370 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:45

Never in a million years did i think it would happen but a flawless drive.

Humble pie.  ;)

#125 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:53

:clap: Congrats. Brilliant drive this race and the whole of the weekend.

#126 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:53

Humble pie. ;)

:lol: If thats what humble pie looks like i'll take it every week! :D Was cheering Pastor all the way. A great story for him, Williams and F1.

#127 Gyan

Gyan

• 829 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 14:56

Congrats Mad Mal, you deserved it today.

#128 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:05

He's shown great pace, tenacity and his fair share of poor decisions in his first 1.25 seasons in F1 but this weekend he was supreme and flawless as were his Williams team! Well done Pastor and Williams! :clap:

#129 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:18

Well done Jaws, excellent performance. This has been such a crazy start to the season, with setup appearing to be king, that I am not quite convinced by Maldonado yet. Nevertheless, a superb maiden win.

#130 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,007 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:19

Incredible drive. It is awesome to see Williams back on the top step.

#131 Collective

Collective

• 1,074 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 15:57

Let's not forget that Monaco is next. Pastor eats that track for breakfast.

#132 August

August

• 2,002 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 18:21

As Checo's P2 in Malaysia sparkled somewhat the speculations, I wonder if there could be Gran Premio de Venezuela PDVSA.

Anyway, a brilliant performance by Pastor today. :clap:

#133 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 18:39

Over the moon with that.

Pastor was really impressive. Not even carried away. Almost like 'yeah I won..so? That's why we're here'

Bruno has a tough act to follow

#134 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 19:37

Awesome results! Mad props!

#135 bogi

bogi

• 2,973 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 19:40

Never been fan of Pastor, congrats :up:

Now you need to get rid of ''pay driver'' title.

#136 chrisj

chrisj

• 576 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:01

Well done to him. I never thought he'd get a podium, much less a win.

#137 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,136 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:08

Great win for Pastor, brilliant job all weekend by him. :clap:

#138 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 687 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:10

Pastor Maldonado ? Hahahahahahaha! Dear oh dear he's awful, and for Pete's sake take Liuzzi with you on the way out.

*Cough*
:drunk:

#139 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,892 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:11

Wonderful and excellent.

Hope to see another strong showing at Monaco in two weeks time. Pastor, it's your own fault, you've raised our expectations now! :D

Advertisement

#140 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,927 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:14

Posted Image

Wonderful moment!

Congratulations Pastor and Williams.

Great pic, great drive. A star in the making?

#141 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:16

I defended Williams choice to keep Maldonado over the winter and today perhaps it explains why: this kid is fantastic. Bit ragged sometimes but overal ultra quick. And next comes his specialty: Monaco :)

Well done Pastor!!

Ps: Montezemolo: are you watching?

#142 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,855 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:20

It's paydriver payday today. What a stark contrast from last year's erratic behaviour at Spa.

#143 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,616 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 20:48

Well done Pastor. An almost perfect race, making the most of what turned out to be a very competitive car this weekend.

#144 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 687 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:07

Ps: Montezemolo: are you watching?

tut tut tut :p that's our driver for life :)

#145 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:17

tut tut tut :p that's our driver for life :)

Ah, dont worry. As long as Stefano 'we must stay calm' Domenicali stays at Ferrari nothing will happen. Just a little reminder for Montezemolo what a good change of team boss can do.;)

#146 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:19

Lovely day, no point rubbing noses in it, just happy I backed him from the start. You do not win the GP2 title for nothing.

#147 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:28

It is! It is time! It is time to make 'Maldonado to Ferrari' thread!

#148 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,591 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:30

indeed you dont :)

#149 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,855 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:31

It is! It is time! It is time to make 'Maldonado to Ferrari' thread!

Yupp he's going to be flavour of the month in May. Yet another driver to be linked to Massa's seat.

#150 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 21:40

Im glad I backed him too since last year. He showed flashes or brilliance. His fight with Alonso at melbourne was great. Today he delivered on the promise. Its gonna be a great year for him, and F1. And to think that many drivers can only dream of winning a race.