Photo

What ever happened to...?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Huw Jenjin

Huw Jenjin

• 427 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:09

We know that Carlos Ruettemann became a senator, and that Jody Schekter an arms dealer or something.
what about some good what ever happened to.............questions and answers?

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:40

I'm game.. whatever happened to Tony Maggs?
Whatever happened to Marc Surer?

------------------
Life and love are mixed with pain...

#3 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:46

Marc Surer still races occasionally, but mainly in historic events. I met him four years or so ago racing a March-BMW F2 car at Thruxton, and he was racing last month sometime, but I can't remember what (it was in Autosport).

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:53

Okay, that's fixed that... what about Mike Thackwell?

------------------

#5 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 20:01

Mike Thackwell teaches special-needs children in London.

#6 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 21:49

He also spent a few years flying helicopters to and from Oil Rigs in the north seas, reminding me of lyrics from Cold Chisel's "Khe San".

"Got a job on an oil rig, flying choppers when I could, but the night life nearly drove me round the bend..."

#7 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 02:30

Last I heard of Tony Maggs he became a game warden in Africa, or some such thing.

Jody Scheckter moved to Atlanta, Ga, USA, and started a business which uses laser guns to train police officers, etc.

Nelson Piquet started a GPS business - global positions satallite - in Brazil for trucking companies, or something like that.

Gjys Van Lennep (sp?) has some racing schools in the Netherlands.

Helmet Marko has some business interests and was building a hotel not too long ago.

On Michael Keyer's site he has an article recounting his adventure in getting 50 or so Le Mans participants to sign a lithograph he was producing, so you can catch up on a lot of those drivers on that site. Pictures, also.

Dave

#8 Marco Helgert

Marco Helgert

• 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 03:35

Addition to Marc Surer:
He also comments the F1 races in german Pay-TV.

PQ

#9 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 05:09

About Helmut Marko: he is very much involved in motorsport again for many years now. He owns and runs the RSM Marko F3000 squad, which won the title with Jörg Müller and now runs Sauber's Red Bull Junior squad in the category, with Enrique Bernoldi and Ricardo Mauricio as drivers.

Dave: it's Gijs, whereby the 'ij' is the typed variant of a single Dutch vocal. You will also find it in my name... ;-)

What about Andrea de Cesaris? Or Peter Arundell? Or Michael May? Volker Weidler? Siegfried Stohr? Reine Wisell? And what is Ian Scheckter doing now?

Cheers,
Mattijs

#10 DJS

DJS

• 1,402 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 18:40

Nannini!! I know he lost a hand in a helicopter accident, whats he up to now??

Also Caffi, Larini and the like, promising stars of the early '90s. What happened to Martin Donnelly after his Jerez crash?

#11 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 07:28

Nannini: last raced for AMG Mercedes in 1997, in the now defunct ITC. I also would like to know what he is up to now.

Caffi: drives a Ferrari 333SP for the Risi Competizione team in the Grand-Am sportscar series, his team-mates being Ralf Kelleners and Mimmo Schiattarella.

Larini: drives a works-supported Nordauto Alfa Romeo 156 in the European Super Touring Cup.

Donnelly: was a team owner in British F3 in 1998, fielding Jamie Spence, but last year decided against competing in the series. No idea what MDR is doing this season.

Cheers,
R.D

#12 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 23:05

Thanks, RD, for the correct spelling of Mr. Van Lennep's first name. I was a bit upset with myself that I couldn't remember it.

I sure don't know about Ian Scheckter. His son Jaki, who is deaf incidentaly, won the Unites States Barber Pro Dodge championship a few years ago. There was a picture of Ian congradulating (oh alright, hugging) Jaki after he won the championship. So perhaps Ian was in the states while his son was racing? And I certainly haven't heard anything of Jaki or Ian since then.

Anyone know what Beltoise is doing? Or Jacques Lafitte?

Dave

#13 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 25 May 2000 - 23:52

Jean-Pierre Beltoise runs several advanced driving schools stressing car control, and acts as an informal "Mr. Road Safety" for the French media.

Jacques Laffite works as a TV commentator for the French channel TF1, which broadcasts Formula 1 races. Kind of a Martin Brundle equivalent...

#14 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 26 May 2000 - 10:09

I think Martin Donnelly Racing is fielding a Formula Ford team in England in one of the categories, and Martin made an appearance at Goodwood Festival of Speed last year, not sure if it was Goodwood, but it was at a Historic event because he was in a Lotus 79.

#15 Darren

Darren

• 593 posts

Posted 26 May 2000 - 11:03

To answer my own question before I even asked it, Henri Pescarolo it seems is also teaching road safety and advanced driving - with his own site, too, at www.pescarolo.com. Any clues on Andrea De Cesaris or Bruno Giacomelli?

#16 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 26 May 2000 - 13:53

Giacomelli was racing in the Porsche Supercup last year. He was trying to raise sponsorship by having a club where you paid some ridiculously large sum of money to have your name on the car. The problem is that you can't read them when the car goes past as they were so small. He didn't do very well, and I don't know if he completed the season or not.

#17 MattSmith

MattSmith

• 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2000 - 07:06

Originally posted by William Dale Jr:
Martin made an appearance at Goodwood Festival of Speed last year.

Martin also appeared as guest driver in the Lotus Elise one make race at Brands Hatch earlier this year.

#18 Huw Jenjin

Huw Jenjin

• 427 posts

Posted 27 May 2000 - 18:51

What happened to these people?
Bob Evans, Michele Leclere,Mike Buettler,Dave Walker,Francois Migault, Guy Edwards, Lella Lombardi, Brian Henton, Bertrand Gachot, Andrea De Adamich?

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 29 May 2000 - 07:33

David Walker was the subject of a story recently in Motor Racing Australia, living in North Queensland somewhere... I'll check it out.

------------------

Advertisement

#20 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 29 May 2000 - 21:29

Lella Lombardi died 3 March 1992 at age 48, of cancer.

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2000 - 04:08

One imagines the reception she got from Max... remember the hard time he gave her?

------------------

#22 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 30 May 2000 - 18:57

No. Remind me.

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 30 May 2000 - 21:41

After tossing rocks at her right through the 74 AGP he gave her a smooch on the 'podium' and proceeded to bag her at every subsequent opportunity.

------------------

#24 Statesidefan

Statesidefan

• 364 posts

Posted 01 June 2000 - 09:48

Rene Arnoux is a principle in DAMS motorsport. Runs a privateer Cadillac in ALMS/SRWC/LeMans. Ran a lovely sounding Lola Judd last yr.

Vic Elford is teaching a driving school somewhere in the States.

Where is Brett Lunger, Jochen Mass, Peter Schetty, Patrick Tambay, J-P Jabouille, Michel Leclere (?) Dave Walker and Reine Wisell???

#25 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 01 June 2000 - 13:47

Patrick Tambay has been doing the odd Rally Raid. J-P Jabouille was running the JB-Giese (Sp?) SportsRacing World Cup squad which ran a Ferrari 333SP for Vincenzo Sospiri.

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 01 June 2000 - 07:10

Anyone know about Chris Irwin?

------------------

#27 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 02 June 2000 - 09:00

Patrick Tambay commentates F1 races on the French digital TV network, and he is also a regular contributor to the French edition of F1 Racing magazine.

#28 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 02 June 2000 - 22:32

We should query Mr. Tambay for stories about Teddy Yip.

Guy Edwards is mentioned in a book about getting racing sponsorship (damn, I can't remember the title. I got it from eBay for $15. Oh, "The Great Money Hunt.") Anyway, Edwards is mentioned in this book as being a guru for obtaining racing sponsorship, and he also has a "getting sponsorship" book which sells for over $200 US.

Ok, how about Loris Kessel, Harald Ertl, Patrick Neve, Boy Hajde (sp???, but Racer.Demon will know.) I thought Ertl did quite well in that old Hesketh, three 8th place finishes, I believe.

Dave

#29 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 02 June 2000 - 23:02

Ertl died in a plane crash in 1983. Between the end of his F1 career and his death he was a mainstay of the German Group 5 series for BIG touring cars like the Porsche 935 and that huge Capri. His life story is somewhere on this page: http://www.racer.dem.../8w/8w-999.html.

Kessel today drives his self-owned Ferrari in the N-GT class of the FIA GT championship.

Migault is also a sometime GT driver - this year he did a one-off in an LRO Porsche GT3 in the N-GT category. He also pops up at Le Mans every year and always manages to do that in a ridiculously uncompetitive car. I haven't spotted him on this year's provisional entry list but be sure he'll be in some back-of-the-grid Porsche as a last-gasp entry...

Guy Edwards became the infamous sponsorship broker for Lotus just before its downfall. No idea if he's still in the business.

Andrea de Adamich went on to become a reporter for Italian television - another Martin Brundle there.

Jabouille has parted company with his partner of the JB team, which is now called JMB Competition. Strangely enough, another French seventies legend and erstwhile F1 team owner, Gérard Larrousse, this year made his competition comeback in an N-GT Perspective Racing Porsche. Probably to celebrate his 60th birthday!

BTW, Reine Wisell's life story is on the same page as Ertl's. Here's an excerpt: "During the 1980s Reine developed a passion for economy runs that were quite the opposite to racing! He won many contests during the 1980s and still continues to keep his foot light on the throttle and to stay in top gear as much as possible, his latest effort being a Malmö-Amsterdam drive with one tank of fuel in a VW Lupo SDI with an average fuel consumption of 3.6 litres per 100km! Reine today also manages and helps Swedish drivers to some much needed winter testing down in sunny Spain at the Cartagena Circuit when the Swedish tracks are snow-covered."

Not sure what happened to Boy Hayje (even Dutch people get his name wrong, Dave!). Might be worth investigating.

Hey, still no one told us what Mr De Cesaris is up to these days. Did he indeed vanish from the motorsport world as soon as his GP career was over? In contrast to many of his also-ran countrymen in F1, who continued in touring cars and GTs, I believe Andrea never raced anything since. Now that's a man of honour!

Cheers,
R.D

------------------
---------------------
Visit the Racer.Demon web site at www.racer.demon.nl
and play 8W, the Web's most fiendish F1 detective game!
---------------------

#30 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:01

Brian Henton?

#31 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:27

"Following his retirement from the sport, he returned to running a car dealership and later moved into property development and in recent years has diversified into other areas, notably engineering. His most recent involvement with motorsport was in 2001, when he opened a successful large indoor track in Loughborough and has recently opened another in Gateshead.[2] He has occasionally driven at historic events and holds equestrian events at his home in Ingarsby Hall, Leicestershire"

From Wikipedia.

#32 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 14:36

WATN at http://www.oldracing...er/Brian_Henton says "Makes occasional returns to historic events. A land-owner, he holds equestrian events at/near his home in Ingarsby Hall, Leicestershire."

Wikipedia gives WATN as its source.

#33 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,054 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:58

We know that Carlos Ruettemann became a senator, and that Jody Schekter an arms dealer or something.

on the new Sky F1 channel they have a 30 min show about Jodie. They talk about his history and current business (organic farming), no mention of his arms dealing. :well:

#34 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:20

Fair play to Jody - i don't think it was arms dealing. :confused:

DCN knows more than anyone on this topic. Information please Doug !

AAGR

#35 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:28

Fair play to Jody - i don't think it was arms dealing. :confused:

DCN knows more than anyone on this topic. Information please Doug !

AAGR

Probably not as much as Jody himself who talked about his firearms simulator business on the Flying Lap a few weeks ago.

Edited by arttidesco, 26 April 2012 - 11:29.

#36 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:45

Discussed also in these threads:

Jody Scheckter Business Man

Jody Scheckter & FATS

See especially the various posts by Don Capps who, in his military capacity, was for a while closely involved with Jody and FATS.

#37 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52

Whatever happened to Darren Malkin? He seemed really quick in the junior formulae.

#38 fan27

fan27

• 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 14:36

Likewise with Jamie Spence. A champion in karting, F/Ford and F3 (Class B) with the odd touring car drive before vanishing.

#39 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 15:21

http://forums.autosp...=Stefano Modena

I wonder what he is doing now?

Advertisement

#40 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 16:19

This should always be the first port of call for such inquiries

http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

#41 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 19:27

http://forums.autosp...=Stefano Modena

I wonder what he is doing now?

I think he is a tester for Bridgestone as there is a test facility near Rome.

#42 MartLgn

MartLgn

• 150 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 20:23

Discussed also in these threads:

Jody Scheckter Business Man

Jody Scheckter & FATS

See especially the various posts by Don Capps who, in his military capacity, was for a while closely involved with Jody and FATS.

Jody Scheckter also owns an Organic farm in Hampshire as featured on BBC Countryfile several months ago.
http://www.laverstok...info/about.aspx