Michael Turner print: Lotus number 10, 1969

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ntvrman

ntvrman

• 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:30

Hi,

I have aquired a few old michael turner prints from my mums attic (that were my brothers) i'm trying to indentify the drivers, in some of the prints,
the first one is from 1969 and pictures a red and gold lotus car number 10, passing a pale blue car number 15 picture doesn't give any details i.e. track name or drivers.
The next one is a white car "fly saudia car 27" year unknown.
the next one is Yardley car number 8
The next one is car number 35 a candy tyrrell from 1983 overtaking JP lotus car 12.

Neal.

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:23

Hi,

I have aquired a few old michael turner prints from my mums attic (that were my brothers) i'm trying to indentify the drivers, in some of the prints,
the first one is from 1969 and pictures a red and gold lotus car number 10, passing a pale blue car number 15 picture doesn't give any details i.e. track name or drivers.
The next one is a white car "fly saudia car 27" year unknown.
the next one is Yardley car number 8
The next one is car number 35 a candy tyrrell from 1983 overtaking JP lotus car 12.

Neal.

Hello Neal.

White ' Fly saudia 'would most likely be Alan Jones in a Willams during 1980. If there are a red and a blue car behind it, it may be the British GP at Brands Hatch
Yardley number 8 . if this has a black car and another yardley car behind then possibly Peter Revson in a Mclaren winning the 1973 British GP at Silverstone ahead of Ronnie Peterson and Denny Hulme

Will have a think about the other pic as nothing comes to mind

Cheers

Chris

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:38

I think there's possibly more info you could supply. For intance, in the picture of a 'red and gold lotus car number 10, passing a pale blue car number 15' is there also a green and yellow Brabham #4, a red Ferrari #6, a red and white Honda #5 and a blue and white Lotus #16 in the background? If so, the picture depicts Graham Hill leading Stewart, Rindt, Amon, Surtees and Siffert in the 1968 Mexican GP.

Is 'Yardley car number 8' followed by a black and gold Lotus #2, another Yardley McLaren #7 and a white March #27? This would be, as Chris says, Peter Revson ahead of Peterson, Hulme and Hunt at the 1973 British GP.

Is 'fly saudia car 27' in front of a spinning red Ferrari #12, or, as Chris suggests, ahead of another red Ferrari #2 and a mainly blue Tyrrell #3? Any additional info will greatly help us identify the prints. :)

Edit: Candy Tyrrell #35 is probably Derek Warwick in the Toleman at Brands in 1982.

Edited by Tim Murray, 19 December 2010 - 11:46.

#4 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:52

Neal,
If you check out this website www.studio88.co.uk you should be able to find at least some of those pictures, with descriptions.

#5 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:53

You'll find loads of Turner prints on this Czech site, maybbe it can help identify your prints.
http://www.f1-info.c...oto/f1-painting

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 14:47

Interesting site - thanks Marc.

Didn't know about the Beuttler CMGD March 731 one, seemingly painted five years after the race.

I wonder who commissioned it?

Edited by MCS, 19 December 2010 - 14:50.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 15:18

You'll find loads of Turner prints on this Czech site, maybbe it can help identify your prints.

Hmmm - I wonder if Michael and Tony Matthews know of this site???

DCN

#8 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 16:12

There are so very many sites like this, Doug - as I am sure you are more than aware.

I just typed something into a search engine (not Google) and very quickly found all manner of pictures of March F1, F2 and F3 cars - a number of which were clearly infringing copyright laws. It never ceases to amaze me how much there actually is, although regrettably, some of the pictures are actually posted by TNFers on less well-regulated forums and elsewhere. Seemingly anything goes in some quarters.

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 18:26

Uh-huh...'anything goes' until the thieving bastards get found out. Few originators of this kind of material mind internet habitues copying material for their PERSONAL interest and private use - but then to use it as a basis for a commercial website of their own without seeking any permission or agreement from the originator is simply unacceptable. Mike was NOT aware of any of this. I have just spoiled his Sunday by drawing it to his attention...and that makes the back of my neck grow hot too...

At the very least it is bad manners. At most it is flagrant theft and misuse.

I suspect some Czechs might soon get bounced.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 19 December 2010 - 18:29.

#10 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 20:09

It says "Gallery has been removed."!

#11 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 20:10

DCN

Tony should know Doug. I have posted the link to it on the cutaway thread once or twic.e.

#12 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 20:13

I'll be darned, it has ! it was still there at 12.00 something

Edited by macoran, 19 December 2010 - 20:14.

#13 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 23:17

DCN

Page says posted at 16:18, in fact 18:26, not as shown here.

Page says 21:09, not as shown here, which is correct.
Are we witnessing a slip in the space-time continuum? Are we about to be swallowed by a black hole? I think we should be told...

#14 ntvrman

ntvrman

• 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 00:44

I think there's possibly more info you could supply. For intance, in the picture of a 'red and gold lotus car number 10, passing a pale blue car number 15' is there also a green and yellow Brabham #4, a red Ferrari #6, a red and white Honda #5 and a blue and white Lotus #16 in the background? If so, the picture depicts Graham Hill leading Stewart, Rindt, Amon, Surtees and Siffert in the 1968 Mexican GP.

Is 'Yardley car number 8' followed by a black and gold Lotus #2, another Yardley McLaren #7 and a white March #27? This would be, as Chris says, Peter Revson ahead of Peterson, Hulme and Hunt at the 1973 British GP.

Is 'fly saudia car 27' in front of a spinning red Ferrari #12, or, as Chris suggests, ahead of another red Ferrari #2 and a mainly blue Tyrrell #3? Any additional info will greatly help us identify the prints. :)

Edit: Candy Tyrrell #35 is probably Derek Warwick in the Toleman at Brands in 1982.

Sorry - didn't get back to you sooner Tim, been in hospital till a couple of days ago.
Anyway here we go.
The Saudia27 has a red ferrari and a mainly blue tyrrell further back neither car's numbers can be seen in the print. no spinning ferrari " shame"

And yes just as you discribed the Red and gold lotus does feature those other cars.

Thanks for all your help.

Neal.
Also the yardley car 8 does have a jps lotus and another yardley car 7 in it also.

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:30

Sorry - didn't get back to you sooner Tim, been in hospital till a couple of days ago.

Sorry to hear that, Neal, hope you're all fixed now. So that confirms Chris's theory about the Fly Saudia car - it's Alan Jones in the Williams leading Scheckter's Ferrari (which was #1, not #2 as I said above) and Jarier's Tyrrell at the 1980 British Grand Prix.

I haven't been able to track down the one you thought was Candy Tyrrell #35, but I strongly suspect that it's Derek Warwick in the Candy-sponsored Toleman #35 in his famous drive at Brands Hatch in the 1982 British GP. If so, JPS Lotus #12 would be Nigel Mansell. (Tyrrell, by the way, always raced with #3 and #4 in this period.)

#16 scorerr770

scorerr770

• 79 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 15:39

went to look and website now has that gallery of paintings removed.

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 18:50

D'oh! See postings, 10, 12, 13 etc., etc., etc.!

#18 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,430 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 20:54

I have this precise print somewhere. As a kid I was having my hair cut and my barber asked me what my hobbies were, I mentioned motor racing and he then dg out a load of Turner prints he had found in a picture frame in the barber shop, and gave them to me. One of which was this one :) They are all A5 - about 10 of them. Somewhere in the attic now...