Photo

100 Mile an Hour Club

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Randy55

Randy55

• 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:47

Help. I am looking for information on the 100 Mile an Hour Club. I have a used cigarette lighter that has a emblem of the 100 mile an hour club on one side and an engraved name on the other side. The name is "MacKemzie" very much like the name of Doc MacKenzie, but don't understand the spelling. "MacKemzie as opposed to MacKenzie"

I am wondering if anyone knows if engraved cigarette lighters were given to the members of the club or whether the lighters were just mass produced for anyone to purchase.

I understand that Doc was killed in a race subsequent to the 500 shortly after being married. Does anyone know of any surviving family members?

Any information would be valuable.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 22:08

Can you post a bigger picture showing the badge more clearly please.

From the flavour of your post, I think you are referring to Indianapolis rather than Brooklands. I believe the latter issued official certificates for laps at 100 mph and above.

#3 Randy55

Randy55

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:17

larger image as requested/ You mentioned Brooklands in your reply, but I don't have any information that this lighter had any connection to Brooklands

Posted Image

Edited by Randy55, 29 December 2010 - 01:21.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 21:27

The bigger picture clearly says "Indianapolis" so ignore the reference to Brooklands.

As this query is Indianapolis-related, I suggest that you post the same query on Trackforum, which is a knowledgeable Indianapolis-centric forum. If anybody can answer your questions, they can.

I've just remembered that Champion, the spark plug manufacturers, at one time had some sort of award for those who averaged more than 100 mph for the "500". This might be your 100 Mile an Hour Club.

Edited by D-Type, 02 July 2012 - 20:56.