Sidney Taylor Racing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poglespeed

poglespeed

• 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:12

Hi
Looking at the photo of Sid Taylor and his driver's at the steering wheel West bromwich opening, posted by Girafe,the unnamed driver is Ian Mitchell, who drove a Mini for Team Charles Clark in Wolverhamton with much success, he also drove a BRM in F5000 for them, Clarks being part of The Owen Organisation, Ian was a quick guy, I was his and Lawrie Hickmans mechanic at this time.

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 21:34

In which case this might touch the nostalgia button, taken from Autosport ads.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

#3 poglespeed

poglespeed

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 19:11

In which case this might touch the nostalgia button, taken from Autosport ads.
Posted Image
Roger Lund

Yes the button well hit , The mini's were a 1293 and a 999cc, Downton engine/ box, prepared at John Rhode's Motoring in Wolverhamptonby myself and Derek Harris, good days.

The driver's were Ian Mitchell, Phil Darbyshire, and Tony Matthews, all sales people at Clark's in Wolverhamton.

Good to see a bit of history.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 19:23

Off thread a bit, but talking of Cooper S etc in period, do you remember anything of the Chas Blyth/Beta Motors of Princethorpe entered cars around that time. I am interested in Chas Blyth info.
Roger Lund

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 18:35

Hi
Looking at the photo of Sid Taylor and his driver's at the steering wheel West bromwich opening, posted by Girafe,the unnamed driver is Ian Mitchell, who drove a Mini for Team Charles Clark in Wolverhamton with much success, he also drove a BRM in F5000 for them, Clarks being part of The Owen Organisation, Ian was a quick guy, I was his and Lawrie Hickmans mechanic at this time.

Here is the pic again with Ian on the far right. Thanks poglespeed! :wave:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2010-05-30

#6 poglespeed

poglespeed

• 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:32

Off thread a bit, but talking of Cooper S etc in period, do you remember anything of the Chas Blyth/Beta Motors of Princethorpe entered cars around that time. I am interested in Chas Blyth info.
Roger Lund
Hi Don.t remember a Chas Blyth, names eg Ian Macdougal, Pete Hawthorn, John Wales, Geoff Wood all midlands racer's. London area, Ken Costello, up north Barry Pearson, the list is almost endless, must do a chart.
Pogle

#7 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 15:04

Yes the button well hit , The mini's were a 1293 and a 999cc, Downton engine/ box, prepared at John Rhode's Motoring in Wolverhamptonby myself and Derek Harris, good days.

The driver's were Ian Mitchell, Phil Darbyshire, and Tony Matthews, all sales people at Clark's in Wolverhamton.

Good to see a bit of history.

I recall seeing John Rhodes himself at the wheel of the 1293 car at Brands in 1966 in the saloon car event at the F3 European Challenge meeting in October of that year. He finished 4th overall.
Pete