Photo

Ron Peggs RIP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 20:24

RON lost his battle wuith bone cancer 2 days ago , he set out to collect in 1.43 every Le Mans entrant and got to within about 20 befoe selling the collection ,some feat considering the amount he had to create from nothing .

Advertisement

#2 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 21:08

This is terrible news. I received his Christmas card this year and thought hopefully that he would get to see another great F1 season in 2011. I have never met any other collector who had such passion for the models combined with a genuine interest in the real cars and racing. A sad loss.

Steve

#3 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 23:55

Sad news indeed, some years now since I last saw Ron. Makes you feel guilty for not keeping in touch.

#4 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:08

Sorry to hear the news about Ron. I had many chats with him at Grand Prix Models when they were based at Radlett and St Albans, he also collected just about every Marsh model made as well as creating the ultimate Le mans collection didn't he.

Glyn

#5 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 14:47

Sad news; my condolences to family and friends.

#6 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:44

):

#7 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 13:22

I never thad the opportunity to meet Ron, but he and his collection were world famous. Its a great pity that he came so close, only to miss out by just a handful of models.

Did the collection stay together and is there someone else who'll continue Ron's quest and complete the collection, or did it get broken up like most collections seem to ?

#8 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 14:30

I never thad the opportunity to meet Ron, but he and his collection were world famous. Its a great pity that he came so close, only to miss out by just a handful of models.

Did the collection stay together and is there someone else who'll continue Ron's quest and complete the collection, or did it get broken up like most collections seem to ?

The collection was offered for sale through Grand Prix Models , as 1 lot , then as decades , eventually one buyer acquired it , maybe GPM will do an in depth feature in thier house mag

#9 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:53

Ron did complete the collection to the end of the 2008 race and we were fortunate enough to see it in its entirity. Unfortunately a buyer could not be found for the whole collection as a unit. The post war collection went to one collector a decade at a time (brokered by another dealer), while the pre-war was split between two others. We haven't yet decided whether there will be a feature on the collection in FSW, Ann's wishes will have a bearing on that and now is not the time to be discussing such things with her, but we will of course be paying our respects.

There's been a sombre mood in the office today as Ron had become a good friend over the years.

Mark @ GPM.

#10 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:18

Ron was a genuine enthusiast, and also a really nice guy. He used to build the kits himself, even taking them on holiday with him so that he could do the prep before painting and final construction. I've known him for almost 30 years. Very sad. My sincerest condolences to the family.
Nathan