Photo

Jimmy Wells

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:43

I have been speaking with Asa Moyce today and he said that, although there has never been a change in Jimmy's condition, one of his nurses fell in love with him and married him - they are living happily somewhere on the Essex coast.

Advertisement

#2 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:49

Yes Sharon, I heard the same thing a while back. Best of luck to him, great bloke and got me out of trouble a few times, bike wise that is :rolleyes:

#3 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:54

Definitely a top man and I hated what happened to him. I remember telling Eve that it was worse for her than me - she was never really a widow but might just as well have been. Still have very fond memories of some very happy times (and terrible hangovers)

#4 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:01

Definitely a top man and I hated what happened to him. I remember telling Eve that it was worse for her than me - she was never really a widow but might just as well have been. Still have very fond memories of some very happy times (and terrible hangovers)

:drunk: I'm still in touch with Bill, Eve's first husband, sunning himself in Oz, lucky bugger.

#5 Fatbill

Fatbill

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:36

I have been speaking with Asa Moyce today and he said that, although there has never been a change in Jimmy's condition, one of his nurses fell in love with him and married him - they are living happily somewhere on the Essex coast.

I am so surprised and happy that Jimmy is still with us. I've been away from racing for years, and always wondered what the outcome was. I was there on the day, and doubt that there has been a more tragic accident. Especially to such a nice bloke.

Thank you for posting nice news.

#6 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:09

I am so surprised and happy that Jimmy is still with us. I've been away from racing for years, and always wondered what the outcome was. I was there on the day, and doubt that there has been a more tragic accident. Especially to such a nice bloke.

Asa reckoned that Jim will out live all of us !! Mick - very long shot I know but I don't suppose Bill has contact details for Eve - I would love to get in touch with her

#7 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:11

Asa reckoned that Jim will out live all of us !! Mick - very long shot I know but I don't suppose Bill has contact details for Eve - I would love to get in touch with her

#8 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:21

Thanks for that Sharon, nice news. :up:

#9 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:23

I'll check Sharon, I know she popped out there once with he husband/boyfriend but not sure if they keep in touch. Bill talks to Terry her brother though so he must have an address.

#10 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 17:15

:wave: Hi Sharon, Bill doesn't have any details but he is getting in touch with Terry, he sends his regards too.

#11 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 18:17

:wave: Hi Sharon, Bill doesn't have any details but he is getting in touch with Terry, he sends his regards too.

That's great news, fingers crossed. Send my best to Bill for me.

Many thanks
Sharon
x

#12 zxrman

zxrman

• 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 21:08

That's so nice to hear. Although I never met Jim, I knew of his reputation as a rider/tuner and all round good guy :)

In the early 80's, my road bike was a GPZ550 and Jim was racing a F2 P&M Kawasaki, so I always followed his results. Then, in one of those strange co-incidences, after I started racing, I found myself riding in the F2 class at club level in the late 80's with a Jim Wells tuned F2 engine, that I purchased from Mistral Engineering. In fact, I still have most of that engine in my garage. The crank alone, is a work of art - lightened, polished & balanced, I dread to think the hours that would have been spent on that alone. It's almost criminal to hide it away in an engine ! I've actually been searching for a while now, for a P&M F2 frame/chassis to put that engine in to and parade it, but without success so far.

Thanks for posting that news :up:

Mark.

#13 pierrepeterpedro

pierrepeterpedro

• 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:43

Wonderful news, thanks for that Sharon. I often wondered how long Jim could have survived for but didn’t want to ask.

I knew Jim originally through his dad, Fred. After university I went to work in France for a childhood acquaintance, Mike Harper-Smith, who had a bike shop in his parents’ house at Guyancourt near Versailles, south-west of Paris. The shop was called Britannique Motos and Mike used to come to England with an old furniture lorry and fill it up with old British bikes to rebuild and sell in France. He also imported Dresda kits, which is how I got to know Dave Degens and get into frame making. One of Mike’s sources was the Wells shop, as well as Hamrax Motors in Kensal Rise where I worked in my hols. Mike and Fred had another passion, which was flying, and another link; they both imported the Russian Ural motorcycle and went across the Sahara together on them.

Posted Image

Below is a picture of the Romford Road shop taken from Bike.

Posted Image

I always associate Jim with Asa and Tony Osbourne; the three musketeers! They were all loyal customers of the P&M frame business, Asa being one of the first, and I owe them a great debt; they contributed greatly to the frame’s success.

edit: Ogbourne to Osbourne (silly me!)

Below is an article on Jim and Asa; I don’t know whether this was the year of Jim’s accident, if so the last two paragraphs are truly relevant.

Posted Image

Sharon, please give Asa my regards when you next speak to him; I’ve sent you a PM with my email address to give him if you could – thanks.

Edited by pierrepeterpedro, 07 January 2011 - 17:56.

#14 SILVERDREAMRACER

SILVERDREAMRACER

• 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:35

Jim also had some works Honda rides too ......
Posted Image

#15 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 16:54

Wonderful news, thanks for that Sharon. I often wondered how long Jim could have survived for but didn’t want to ask.

I knew Jim originally through his dad, Fred. After university I went to work in France for a childhood acquaintance, Mike Harper-Smith, who had a bike shop in his parents’ house at Guyancourt near Versailles, south-west of Paris. The shop was called Britannique Motos and Mike used to come to England with an old furniture lorry and fill it up with old British bikes to rebuild and sell in France. He also imported Dresda kits, which is how I got to know Dave Degens and get into frame making. One of Mike’s sources was the Wells shop, as well as Hamrax Motors in Kensal Rise where I worked in my hols. Mike and Fred had another passion, which was flying, and another link; they both imported the Russian Ural motorcycle and went across the Sahara together on them.

Posted Image

Below is a picture of the Romford Road shop taken from Bike.

Posted Image

I always associate Jim with Asa and Tony Ogbourne; the three musketeers! They were all loyal customers of the P&M frame business, Asa being one of the first, and I owe them a great debt; they contributed greatly to the frame’s success.

Below is an article on Jim and Asa; I don’t know whether this was the year of Jim’s accident, if so the last two paragraphs are truly relevant.

Posted Image

Sharon, please give Asa my regards when you next speak to him; I’ve sent you a PM with my email address to give him if you could – thanks.

Hi Peter

Got your message and replied ! Just burst into tears - Wells' shop - brought back lots of memories, my old stomping ground !

#16 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 19:09

Hi Peter

Got your message and replied ! Just burst into tears - Wells' shop - brought back lots of memories, my old stomping ground !

I am so chuffed about all these comments for Jimmy - just wish he was able to read them for himself.

#17 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 20:39

I am so chuffed about all these comments for Jimmy - just wish he was able to read them for himself.

Give my regards to young Jim We had a few dices elbow to elbow in the late 60's when we both rode Honda CR110's amongst other bikes although we lost touch after I packed up in 1973 Did Jim suffer serious injury later?

#18 zxrman

zxrman

• 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 22:41

Give my regards to young Jim We had a few dices elbow to elbow in the late 60's when we both rode Honda CR110's amongst other bikes although we lost touch after I packed up in 1973 Did Jim suffer serious injury later?

Arthur - Yes, sadly Jim had an accident at the Ulster GP in 1984 :cry:

Mark.

Edited by zxrman, 09 January 2011 - 12:34.

#19 billbomann

billbomann

• 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 21:51

Early days

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 22:34

Ah yes those lovely lime green leathers!! :rolleyes:

#21 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 22:46

Brands Hatch 1975.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last two @ Mallory Park 1975 & @ Snetterton 1976/77?

#22 sharonsalle

sharonsalle

• 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 14:52

Brands Hatch 1975.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Last two @ Mallory Park 1975 & @ Snetterton 1976/77?

Thanks for the great pics. S x

#23 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:14

Thanks Sharon, nice Jim has his own thread going on here now. :up:

#24 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 17:23

Hi Sharon, I PM'd you with Eve's Email address.

#25 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:26

Hi i have just stumbled across this forum and would like to comment. My aunt did nurse Jim and they went off and got married and therefore Jim is my uncle. I knew he rode bikes and knew Barry sheene as his shown us in books before, but i don't really know much else about his racing. I have read a few things and it seems my uncle was quite an amazing man. If anyone could comment or add picture of uncle Jim i would truly be greatful.

#26 GrahamEtheridgepicblanc

GrahamEtheridgepicblanc

• 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:38

Hi Danielle, thanks for your comments, I have posted pretty much all I have photo wise, wishing you your Aunt & Uncle Jim all the best for the new year.

#27 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 19:31

Hi Danielle, thanks for your comments, I have posted pretty much all I have photo wise, wishing you your Aunt & Uncle Jim all the best for the new year.

thanks for your reply. I have just noticed the pics above but cant view as Im on my phone. Will have to get the laptop out! Can i ask were these races televised? I don't know too much because he had already had his accident when my aunt married him. It so sad to know that inside there's such a talented man. Would love to print some pics for him. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Danielle91, 29 December 2014 - 19:49.

#28 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 21:51

I know its a big ask, but would anyone from here be able to email the pictures of what they have of Jim, or from above to me? Would love to compile some and try and show him. I don't know what he would remember, because he cant talk its hard to ask. Would love to be able to actually sit and have him sort of tell me bits and bobs if he could. He has all the motorbike/car books and magazines you could think of. He see one in a shop just before Christmas and he loved it as his present. His wife has a sports car and he has her take him for a drive every day. Cutest thing seeing two older people cruising around in a sports car, although my aunt will not drive over 30mph! He still knows what he likes! Would love if someone can help x

#29 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 23:01

Hi Danielle, if you right click on any of the photo's or cuttings in this thread and then select 'save picture as' you will be able to save them all to your computer, that is assuming you are using a pc or a laptop.

If you are using an ipad or iPhone it will still be possible no doubt, but although I also use an ipad i'm not as conversant with those.

#30 Revetts

Revetts

• 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:43

I well remember Jimmy Wells racing at Snetterton in the 1970's.  You name it, he probably rode it! I particuarly recall how fast he was on his 125 " Wellymobile", green leathers and all!!  Also his great fondness for sausage sandwiches. I seem to also remember an incident abroad that involved Jimmy climbing a flagpole to "borrow" the flag. Result was a broken arm. A real nice lad and a great shame it all went so wrong.

#31 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 21:03

Thank you for replying! i have now downloaded the photos! ah so great to see him doing what he loved! have never seen photos of him racing. We maybe seeing him tomorrow, hopefully i can show him and see if he can remember. its a shame to know there is such a talented man inside, quite sad to know we never got to see Jim like that.

#32 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:15

Great to read the updates on this thread and am so pleased that Jim is OK.

We were apprentices together at British Oxygen in Edmonton (North London) from 1968 where I helped him to fabricate a sprinter frame to accommodate a Triumph engine; it went pretty well too and he had some success on it but soon turned his attention to road racing.

We spent a week on the Island for the 1969 TT as spectators, a week of warm temperatures and wall to wall sunshine, he on a Triumph Metisse  and me with my 250 Royal Enfield GT (5 speed!). He was very funny and great company, an engaging personality with a wealth of amusing stories who would simply steam in and talk to everyone.

I often used to ride part of the way home from work with him and between Edmonton and Chingford was about a mile of narrow twisting lane (actually Lower Hall Lane) where we would get a bit of a move on, swapping the lead frequently. Just before we got to a right hander before a narrow bridge doing about 60, he came alongside me to pass but locked his front wheel. I thought he'd gone down but a had to cross the bridge before I could ease off and look round; no need to worry, he was right behind me laughing his head off!  

Great days and now starting to seem along time ago.

Best wishes for the new year, Peter Weale.

#33 suzyfan

suzyfan

• 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 17:22

I liked Jim a lot.

My best memory with him was in 1984. I was working for Mark Salle and arranged to meet the team in Holland for the Dutch TT.

As my local mate, Nat Wood, was also racing in the F1 race at Assen, I got a lift with him and we jumped on the ferry from Harwich to the Hook. We encounted quite a few delays along the way and by the time we got to the paddock it was gone midnight and everything was quiet. Nat went off and parked his caravan to settle down for the night. I went off in the dark to try and find my team and the old Merc van, in which I would be living for the next two weeks.

After around 15 minutes of walking up and down rows of vans, Ray Swann emerged from the gloom and said he was going for drink, and did I want to join him? Of course I did! We turned the corner and I could here a bit of a party going on. Sure enough, it was coming from Jim's van and caravan. When we got there, just about every rider and spannerman involved in the F1 series was there having a drink and a laugh. It was a brilliant night.

Jim was a great bloke. He knew everybody, had time for everybody and was an extremely talented engineer and rider. Sadly, I was also there the day he had his accident. It hit us all very hard,

I'm so pleased to hear that he has got married and has a settled life. I wish him all the very best and, thanks for the great memories both on and off the track.

#34 Gizzmo0

Gizzmo0

• 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 22:11

hi their i have just found this thread and read with interest your coments at the present time i am having jims 1984 harris f1 kz750 restored i have a few pics of the 84 season and one of asa bike which has already been restored i can post them if any one is interested mistral currently building the engine so the two shell bikes should be back together later this year

#35 suzyfan

suzyfan

• 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 23:10

Oh yes. We'd love to see those pictures. Pleased to hear that those bikes are still around.

John

#36 Gizzmo0

Gizzmo0

• 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 18:54

can some one give me details on how to post an image many thanks

#37 Gizzmo0

Gizzmo0

• 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 22:25

I know its a big ask, but would anyone from here be able to email the pictures of what they have of Jim, or from above to me? Would love to compile some and try and show him. I don't know what he would remember, because he cant talk its hard to ask. Would love to be able to actually sit and have him sort of tell me bits and bobs if he could. He has all the motorbike/car books and magazines you could think of. He see one in a shop just before Christmas and he loved it as his present. His wife has a sports car and he has her take him for a drive every day. Cutest thing seeing two older people cruising around in a sports car, although my aunt will not drive over 30mph! He still knows what he likes! Would love if someone can help x

hi their danielle suggest you obtain a copy of this magazine eBay item number:361103819173

#38 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 14:13

Been on ebay and seen the mag, this is the bike jim drove I am guessing?? Currently he isnt too well and is in hospital, due to come out in the next day or so I believe. A great get well present to get!

#39 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 14:39

Its so nice to know that although this happened this many years ago, that jim is still thought about. Me and mum have loved reading the stories about him. In all the years he has been my uncle, I barely knew anything about him. I know the person inside a bit now! Im hoping to print it all off one day, and show him. Im sure he would be so pleased to know people are remembering him. Its such a shame, id love him to be able to speak and tell us stories. Hopefully next time he comes round, instead of just asking if he wants a tea/coffee, and asking if his ok, I can talk to him about some of these stories!! I know he cant talk to reply, I may be able to understand sort of what his trying to say! Be lovely to chat away to him about what he,knows and not have him just sit there. Although he enjoys watching my crazy children playing. Maybe in the summer we could go brands hatch, we live not far from it. I love motorbikes, dont know a thing about them though. Maybe a birthday day out or something. Thanks for sharing the stories! And keep sharing please!!

Advertisement

#40 Gizzmo0

Gizzmo0

• 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 20:28

Been on ebay and seen the mag, this is the bike jim drove I am guessing?? Currently he isnt too well and is in hospital, due to come out in the next day or so I believe. A great get well present to get!

its a center page spread about the bike he road in the 84 world championship ,as previously stated he wasn,t just a great rider but also a great engine tuner,so the artical goes into some detail about him and the amount of power he got from what was basically a road engine, 

#41 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 22:12

I went to a lot of races in 1984 including the TT and saw Jim race and have some photos of him - not very good because they were among the first ones I took with an SLR camera.

Unfortunately Photobucket seems to have stopped working properly so I can't post them at the moment.  :-(

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 13 January 2015 - 22:14.

#42 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:13

Image82_zps04067234.jpg

First run for the 1984 F1 bike at Thruxton in March, IIRC; Campbell Corner

Image83_zps17fdedcb.jpg

Jim on the F1 bike at Union Mills in the 1984 TT.

Paul M

Paul M

#43 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 21:03

thanks for posting the pictures, getting a few together now which is great.. Cannot wait to print them and show him when his well enough.

#44 scotth

scotth

• 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 19:25

Hi everyone I'd like to say this is my first post on here. My name is Scott Harris my dad is Ted Harris he had a F1TT racing team in the early 80's. Asa moyce and Kevin wrettom raced for him. I remember Jim as a kid me and my mum went to Australia with Eve who Jim was with at the time of the accident to her brothers house. Dad used to get Jim from hospital and bring him to our house for dinner sometimes. I often wonderd what happened to Jim so I'm glad to hear that he is ok. Iv got loads of photos of dads so I will dig some out and post them soon. Thanks Scott.

#45 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 20:50

Welcome Scott, its a bit quiet on here at the moment, but all contributions in the form of photo's or memories are welcome.

#46 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 13:41

Hi Scott and welcome :wave:

As Paul said, any input you bring will be appreciated!

............and if you have any contacts from the past - tell them about the forum too!  (I deleted the Mallory photo from this thread as it wasn't really relevant to Jim Wells).

Barry.

Edited by knickerbrook, 11 March 2015 - 14:02.

#47 scotth

scotth

• 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 15:27

Thanks fellas. Will get some photos on soon. Cheers

#48 Gizzmo0

Gizzmo0

• 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 21:26

im hoping to get the 84 f1 bike back in the summer,mistral are still building the engine,but a lot of work has already been done,out of interest does one one have a picture of the jim wells tunning shop graphic? hopefully the bike wont be hidden away in the garage either,

#49 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:52

Hi again.
Thanks for all the replies. Jim is doing good and may possibly be having a voice box type thing put in so he can talk. I'm so excited of the thought I may be able to have a conversation with him. Fingers crossed as a few a

#50 Danielle91

Danielle91

• 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:53

Few years ago his neck was too weak. Hoping that it can go ahead. It would be fantastic!