Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Banker arrested on bribery charges (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
463 replies to this topic

#301 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 21:35

I hope german justice will treat Mr. Ecclestone same as "anybody"! :wave:

Advertisement

#302 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,238 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:19

So will Bernie the **** go to jail this time?

#303 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:22

So will Bernie the **** go to jail this time?

Don't bet on it - if he doesn't pull the Ernest Saunders defence (after all they both have bids for QPR in common) he and his lawyers will have plenty of other strategies to avoid the German equivalent of doing porridge. Ultimately he could simply up-sticks and relocate himself and his business to somewhere outside the reach of the German courts (no doubt on the pretext that Europe is now a third world country). Anyone got the phone number of the Ecuadorean embassy?

#304 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:57

I wonder if Bernie is doing the duck thing, calm and serene on the surface, paddling away like a good un underneath.

"I suppose he would say that [about receiving bribes], so maybe he gets seven years instead of 14 years," said Ecclestone. "The poor guy has been banged up for 18 months. He would have said anything to save himself. He was going to be locked up whatever happens."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100527

#305 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:00

I wonder if Bernie is doing the duck thing, calm and serene on the surface, paddling away like a good un underneath.

"I suppose he would say that [about receiving bribes], so maybe he gets seven years instead of 14 years," said Ecclestone. "The poor guy has been banged up for 18 months. He would have said anything to save himself. He was going to be locked up whatever happens."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/100527

Some people are saying that Bernie had an immunity deal with the German court for his testimony.

#306 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,622 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:10

Mr Ecclestone is not currently available for comment, as he is entering his girlfriend for a marathon that is taking place during the weekend of the German Grand Prix.

#307 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:12

Mr Ecclestone is not currently available for comment, as he is entering his girlfriend for a marathon that is taking place during the weekend of the German Grand Prix.

That doesn't bear thinking about, and i doubt he'd manage a marathon at his age, he'd struggle with a snickers.

#308 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:15

Some people are saying that Bernie had an immunity deal with the German court for his testimony.

Thats what it says in the BBC's report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18522111

I wonder whether that immunity is time limited, and/or whether its applicable only for that specific hearing, knowing Bernard it'll apply across the globe, and lapse a day after his passing, at which time it will pass on to Tamara, to keep for a rainy day :)

#309 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 15:07

Thats what it says in the BBC's report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18522111

I wonder whether that immunity is time limited, and/or whether its applicable only for that specific hearing, knowing Bernard it'll apply across the globe, and lapse a day after his passing, at which time it will pass on to Tamara, to keep for a rainy day :)

Pitpass has another take on this, commenting on the Daily Telegraph article.

'Bernie Says He May Sue Gribkowsky'

http://www.pitpass.c...-sue-Gribkowsky

The article also notes that whatever happened with Bernie did not happen in Germany, so would not readily fall into the country's jurisdiction.

#310 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,855 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 15:28

Pitpass has another take on this, commenting on the Daily Telegraph article.

'Bernie Says He May Sue Gribkowsky'

http://www.pitpass.c...-sue-Gribkowsky

The article also notes that whatever happened with Bernie did not happen in Germany, so would not readily fall into the country's jurisdiction.

But, as you pointed out earlier "there's no point in anyone going after Gribkowsky for money. Even if he had any left after this process, he is up on trial next for the Hypo Adra business . . . where the bank is suing him and seven other Bayern directors for 200m damages."

Another thought. Bernie was offered immunity in exchange for his testimony - but what if his testimony was itself perjury. Would the immunity cover perjury?

#311 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 23:07

Anyone got the phone number of the Ecuadorean embassy?

T. 020 7584 1367
F. 020 7590 2509

:)

#312 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:00

https://twitter.com/#!/easonF1

- German banker in Bernie Ecclestone "bribery" case gets 8 and a half years. Gerhard Gribkowsky convicted of breach of trust, tax evasion and taking £10m as bribe from Bernie E.

#313 Rob

Rob

• 8,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:24

- German banker in Bernie Ecclestone "bribery" case gets 8 and a half years. Gerhard Gribkowsky convicted of breach of trust, tax evasion and taking £10m as bribe from Bernie E.

This is going to get interesting! *puts feet up*

#314 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:33

The thot plickens :lol:

A report I read earlier today said the court asked him to clarify whether it was a 'breach of trust' or 'a bribe'. They have obviously decided on both, just to be sure . . .

But it appears to diminish the significance of the 'bung' from Bernie, while not discounting it. Hmmmm . . . what does one make of that?

In passing, saw a note on my newsreader today that 'Mercedes may pull out of F1 over bribery case'.

Mercedes could quit F1 over bribery scandal

#315 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:44

Wow. That's one hell of a verdict. Bernie must surely be sitting on the edge of his seat as he is surely an accomplice. I wait with anticipation over how he will slime himself out of this one.

#316 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:47

Interesting. Now that they have convicted Gribkowsky for bribery they should be obligated to charge Ecclestone too.

Will be interesting to see how serious Mercedes takes their own anti-corruption policies.

#317 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:54

Will be interesting to see how serious Mercedes takes their own anti-corruption policies.

As if this is the first case of bribery in F1. There's surely plenty more back door dealings going on. Gribkowsky is the first rat to surface from sewer of F1's most greedy.

#318 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,414 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 15:56

I posted this in the Merc thread:

After the feelings of their shareholders were laid out on the table a little while ago, I think that Mercedes are looking for half decent "external" excuse to "do one". This may fit perfectly.

If they do pull out - then don't expect to see V6 turbos in F1 any time soon........ Just a lot of re-badged Merc lumps a la Mecachrome/Supertec/Renault.

Classic F1 pattern/cycle :)

#319 sblick

sblick

• 477 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 16:17

Since this bribe was allegedly to keep the British Government from investigating Bernie's finances, why isn't the British government going through his finances? his business?

Advertisement

#320 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49

Since this bribe was allegedly to keep the British Government from investigating Bernie's finances, why isn't the British government going through his finances? his business?

According to the FT Peter Noll Presiding Judge made the point that it was Ecclestone that had “brought the accused into breaking the law and not the other way around”.

Commenting on the verdict and sentence Ecclestone he stated he'd attend the Munich Prosecutor's for questioning if requested as a 'witness', from which one could conclude he'll not go willingly were it as a 'suspect'.

And at the same time he confirmed receiving notification the HMRC had instigated an investigation into his tax affairs. So your wish may have been granted, now we wait to see if the floodgates of all the other possible litigation citing CVC and Ecclestone finally opens.

#321 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,251 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:05

The reality is mainstream bankers while their actions were incompetence personified were rarely criminal nor were their actions to the best of my knowledge for their own benefit, unless you include retention of their well paid jobs or bonuses.

F1 is very different, Gribkowsky is alleged to have undervalued BayernLB's stake by over $1b according to Constantin Medien and of taken a bribe from Ecclestone to do so, that was criminal not incompetence and why the German Prosecutors take it so seriously.

You still think BE and his crew are worse than "mainstream bankers" ....

Which is not say he does not deserve punishment but as I said earlier, if there was a hierarchy of folks to be brought to justice he would not be at the front of the queue.

Why are the UK criminal prosecution authorities not investigating BE ... or the LIBOR scandal ???

#322 Johnbull

Johnbull

• 64 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:27

Why are the UK criminal prosecution authorities not investigating BE ... ???

Now there's an interesting one !

#323 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:31

Now there's an interesting one !

According to GMM, they are:

"Ecclestone is already facing investigations in the UK, with the Times newspaper reporting that the tax and serious fraud offices have been in contact with German authorities. "I suppose you'd expect that," said Ecclestone."

#324 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:40

And here is highly detailed analysis why Ecclestone is far away from being charged:

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=46667

To recap, Gribkowsky was in charge of selling the 47.2% stake in F1 held by state-owned German bank BayernLB. It was sold to CVC in 2006 and over the following two years Gribkowsky was paid £27.5m by Ecclestone and his Bambino family trust. Ecclestone brought CVC to Gribkowsky and it offered to pay £527m ($839m) - more than any other bidder. Ecclestone says he was given £25.9m by BayernLB in return for brokering the deal and since CVC demanded an indemnity "that all the accounts were in good order because the bank would not give it."

The court believes that, in fact, this money was paid to Ecclestone to cover the bribe he paid to Gribkowsky and the reason he wanted F1 to be sold to CVC was that it would retain him as the sport's boss. The court argues that since the alleged bribe should not have been paid, the commission BayernLB paid to Ecclestone to cover it should also not have been paid and therefore the bank lost out to the tune of at least £25.9m.

When Gribkowsky was arrested in January last year all of his assets, including the £27.5m he received from Ecclestone and Bambino, were frozen by the German authorities pending the result of the trial. Now that Gribkowsky has been found guilty, the authorities are free to distribute the £27.5m which he was given. As the court ruled that Gribkowsky received a bribe and Ecclestone covered it through the commission he was paid by BayernLB, this makes it highly likely that the money will be transferred to the bank since it allegedly lost out. In contrast, if the court had ruled that Gribkowsky had been paid because he threatened Ecclestone, it may have returned the money to the F1 boss.

Paying the money to BayernLB covers the damage which the court believes was done to the bank by the commission being paid to Ecclestone. Accordingly, there seems to be no financial need to press charges against Ecclestone. If Ecclestone was charged and found guilty of paying a bribe and covering it with the commission then his money would have to be returned to BayernLB. However, as it seems likely that BayernLB will get the £27.5m from Gribkowsky then getting back the £25.9m from Ecclestone as well would give the bank around double its money back which does not seem to be necessary.

So, there seems to be no financial need to press charges against Ecclestone and, in fact, it could carry significant risk. As Pitpass recently revealed, the result and evidence from the Gribkowsky trial could not simply be carried over to a case against Ecclestone - it would have to be tested from scratch.

Naturally Ecclestone is in possession of a great deal of evidence connected to the case since he made the payment to Gribkowsky and he demanded and received the payment from BayernLB. His commission was agreed by the BayernLB board and has been given a seal of approval from the accountancy firm Deloitte. By proving that his work on the deal justified his commission the case against Ecclestone falls to pieces. If he can also prove that Gribkowsky threatened him, then the banker could demand a re-trial of his case. If that succeeded then BayernLB could be forced to repay the £27.5m to Gribkowsky and the court would end up with egg on its face so there a lot is at stake by pressing charges against Ecclestone.

#325 Rob

Rob

• 8,134 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:46

Bernie last seen heading for Ecuadorian embassy...

#326 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:00

Bernie last seen heading for Ecuadorian embassy...

I doubt it. Him and CVC have enough money to spend themselves out of this problem by employing an army of top lawyers who master the wizardry of bribery, tax evasion and what not.

#327 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:03

And here is highly detailed analysis why Ecclestone is far away from being charged:

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=46667

So is it Pitpass making a miracle or is it Bernie who Plannes the act over the years?
:stoned:

#328 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:12

You still think BE and his crew are worse than "mainstream bankers" ....

Which is not say he does not deserve punishment but as I said earlier, if there was a hierarchy of folks to be brought to justice he would not be at the front of the queue.

Why are the UK criminal prosecution authorities not investigating BE ... or the LIBOR scandal ???

Apparently both are under investigation, HMRC for Ecclestone and the Fraud Squad for Barclays.

I'm always pleased to see justice in the process of being done and see no reason why Ecclestone should not be tried and given a similar sentence to Gribkowsky. Don't think Eccleston's criminal activity is a 'victimless crime' it's not and while mainstream bankers (re: 08 financial crash) may have been incompetent their actions were also not victimless but as far as I'm aware neither were they criminal. When they are found to be so I expect appropriately prosecuted, where they are incompetent I'd expect them to be sacked.

Though you trawl a little way back, but nowhere will you find anywhere that I don't advocate that criminal action shouldn't face the full weight of the law. In the Ecclestone case as with my comments on Murdoch and NI, even the Ian Tomlinson death at the G20 protest plus several other topics I'm consistent.

If you wish to discuss bankers this really isn't the forum is it?

As to the length of the queue I think having over 7 years is long enough to contemplate the knock on the door, so can we please get on with it if only because justice has to be seen to be done even to ageing billionaires.

Edited by TriumphST, 28 June 2012 - 15:12.

#329 Rob

Rob

• 8,134 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:27

I doubt it.

Yeah. It was a joke. :cry:

#330 jickmagger

jickmagger

• 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 21:10

I was reading about this:

Bernie said that he had been worried that if he hadn't paid the money, then Gribkowsky would have alerted the UK tax authorities to "things" that might have led to a tax inquiry.

"The only alternative was that the British tax authorities followed a case that would have been very expensive for me," he had said.

"The tax risk would have exceeded £2bn...I paid him [£28 million] to keep calm and not to do silly things."

source: http://www.monacogra...d-for-f1-bribes

Posted Image

How about a cup of tea and a biscuit tin with a lot of cash stuffed into it? - 'tis the English way

#331 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,251 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 21:32

Apparently both are under investigation, HMRC for Ecclestone and the Fraud Squad for Barclays.

I'm always pleased to see justice in the process of being done and see no reason why Ecclestone should not be tried and given a similar sentence to Gribkowsky. Don't think Eccleston's criminal activity is a 'victimless crime' it's not and while mainstream bankers (re: 08 financial crash) may have been incompetent their actions were also not victimless but as far as I'm aware neither were they criminal. When they are found to be so I expect appropriately prosecuted, where they are incompetent I'd expect them to be sacked.

Though you trawl a little way back, but nowhere will you find anywhere that I don't advocate that criminal action shouldn't face the full weight of the law. In the Ecclestone case as with my comments on Murdoch and NI, even the Ian Tomlinson death at the G20 protest plus several other topics I'm consistent.

If you wish to discuss bankers this really isn't the forum is it?

As to the length of the queue I think having over 7 years is long enough to contemplate the knock on the door, so can we please get on with it if only because justice has to be seen to be done even to ageing billionaires.

Just to be clear, I also agree that BE should have the book thrown at him.

But the difference between BE and "the bankers" (by which I mean the collective leadership of the largest investment banks) is that his victims had their eyes wide open and were/are pretty much the same sort of **** that he is - he just bested them at the game that they were all playing ... the bankers on the other hand have F'ed up entire countries. On a scale of 1 to 100, BE would be at 2 or 3 and they would be at 95 or 97, which is not to say that he isnt bad but rather there are folks who are alot worse than him ....I am surprised that someone who is so outraged by BE is so complacent about the bankers.

By the way, how does one incompetently manipulate LIBOR to one's benefit for a 4 year period between 2005 and 2009? How many billions do you think that one scam netted (and it is not the only one)...

BE is **** but his small fry.

To be fair to you, I did go back through the thread... and for the most part you have been spot on. And much more so than me. :)

#332 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 23:03

... the bankers on the other hand have F'ed up entire countries. On a scale of 1 to 100, BE would be at 2 or 3 and they would be at 95 or 97,

I think you make an excellent point.

Bernie has contributed to making a very profitable industry for the UK and to creating employment. And, in passing, to a show that millions of fans enjoy.

I can't see any redeeming features at all of the bankster fraternity.

Today, the EU summit was hailed as a success when the powers agreed to bail out Spanish banks. These banks have cheated thousands of small savers with wobbly financial products. On this day too, the FSA has finally decided that financial mis-selling of similar fraudulent products has screwed thousands of small UK businesses.

Gribkowsy's 50m backhhander is neither here nor there. There's a lot of scapegoating and 'diversion' going on here in media terms.

Every bank in Europe is rotten to the core . . . RBS, Commerzbank, Societe Generale. Santander . . . not forgetting Barclays, who have just been convicted of manipulating the LIBOR rate.

Locking up BE and Grib won't solve anything.

#333 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:38

Just to be clear, I also agree that BE should have the book thrown at him.

But the difference between BE and "the bankers" (by which I mean the collective leadership of the largest investment banks) is that his victims had their eyes wide open and were/are pretty much the same sort of **** that he is - he just bested them at the game that they were all playing ... the bankers on the other hand have F'ed up entire countries. On a scale of 1 to 100, BE would be at 2 or 3 and they would be at 95 or 97, which is not to say that he isnt bad but rather there are folks who are alot worse than him ....I am surprised that someone who is so outraged by BE is so complacent about the bankers.

By the way, how does one incompetently manipulate LIBOR to one's benefit for a 4 year period between 2005 and 2009? How many billions do you think that one scam netted (and it is not the only one)...

BE is **** but his small fry.

To be fair to you, I did go back through the thread... and for the most part you have been spot on. And much more so than me. :)

Kind of you to say so, but to be equally clear when I comment here I tend not to deviate because it clouds the central issues. And while I don't disagree with many of your sentiments regarding the banking industry my condemnation and comment on those issues I make in mainstream publications Guardian, FT etc and not here.

My point is that I'm not totally consumed by F1, I'm interested in issues ranging from the environment from a professional buildings services engineering perspective to racism within our police force and if you had asked which comment I would to chose to make if I could only make one, believe me even though a fan since the 80's it wouldn't be F1 by a long way.

Certainly my last post summed up my expectation of how bankers should be treated in respect to incompetency or criminal behaviour, but I'd elaborate by saying that I comment to the effect their salary and bonus are curtailed and subject to shareholders review, that the system itself must be the subject of root and branch reform and regulation, taxation must be paid in the country where profit is generated. Saying that, it won't work without international agreement and banks will circumnavigate regulation without one, but as with the underlying situation as we see with the current Libor rate fixing, the inference is 2008 will occur all over again without one. And yes I do feel many in the financial industry are bottom feeders. So hardly complacent......

Now I suppose we can agree Ecclestone who's implicated in criminal bribery and fraud should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law irrespective of any other unrelated issues?

#334 MGKrebs

MGKrebs

• 55 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:36

BE is saying it is cost-effective to spend 28M to avoid "an expensive inquiry"? that would be one helluvan expensive inquiry!

#335 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,206 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 21:17

If I understand the http://www.sueddeuts...ebank-1.1397938 story right, the Germans are keen to put Bernie to trial as well. They can't use Gribkowsky's recent statements for this for juridical reasons (seperate case with different roles), but if he repeats the same statements in a case with BE charged Bernie might be in big trouble.

That said, the article says that a BE case in Germany is not on as long as Grib's isn't concluded, and it's possible that Gribkovsky's will continue for quite some time if Grib will appeal the judges' decision, which is rather likely.

So all kinds of deals (pro and con) are possible - for one or the other.

We'll see what happens if/when Bernie will show up at Hockenheim in a few weeks.

Edited by scheivlak, 30 June 2012 - 21:19.

#336 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46

If I understand the http://www.sueddeuts...ebank-1.1397938 story right, the Germans are keen to put Bernie to trial as well. They can't use Gribkowsky's recent statements for this for juridical reasons (seperate case with different roles), but if he repeats the same statements in a case with BE charged Bernie might be in big trouble.

That said, the article says that a BE case in Germany is not on as long as Grib's isn't concluded, and it's possible that Gribkovsky's will continue for quite some time if Grib will appeal the judges' decision, which is rather likely.

We'll see what happens if/when Bernie will show up at Hockenheim in a few weeks.

Can you appeal a verdict if you've pled guilty?

#337 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,206 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:57

Can you appeal a verdict if you've pled guilty?

Well, that's what I get from the article.
He might appeal because he finds the sentence too harsh, specifically because he felt his testimony was helpful.

#338 Mr Plug

Mr Plug

• 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:26

An interesting case concluded a week or so ago, in which two (former) directors of the potato supplier, Greenvale, were jailed for bribing the buyer at Sainsbury's. The buyer received about £4.7million - small potatoes (groan!) to what Ecclestone handed over - and was also jailed. Sainsbury's think the amount they were overcharged came to something like £8.7million, which again is a drop in the ocean compared to that for which Bayern LB may, or may not, have been done over.

It is odd that one of the big topics at all Business Schools is CSR policy - that's Corporate Social Responsibility and certain industries are reasonably good about it, eg. mining, fashion, steel-making, automotive and so on. Banking, investment funds, and sundry other financial services seem to ignore it: it's a policy for everybody else. But whereas crimes such as bribing buyers were once regarded as 'victimless' - only faceless corporations got stung - now it isn't so; many people's savings and pensions depend upon a network of investments, and funds DO get hurt.

I think there is a feeling extant now that 'they' shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, and I personally feel that Ecclestone's claims to be a victim, and therefore innocent of corruption, should properly be tested. In a Court of Law.

#339 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:05

BE in an enabler and it's spineless individuals like him who tempt law abiding citizens into crossing the line. I'm excusing Gribkowsky for accepting the bribe but Bernie is equally as guilty for offering it. It takes two people to Tango and in this case Bernie was leading.

He should be trialled but given that he is an expert politician I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip away from this one.

Advertisement

#340 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:38

Well, he has appealed and according to Bloomberg the verdict could take up to a year.

http://www.bloomberg...in-f1-case.html

#341 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:48

Where was Ecclestone this weekend?

In spite of being quoted as saying he'd be there he had a no-show on Saturday. Did the news last week of intensified German Prosecutors interest and possible arrest this weekend frighten him off altogether?

#342 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,206 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:05

Where was Ecclestone this weekend?

In spite of being quoted as saying he'd be there he had a no-show on Saturday. Did the news last week of intensified German Prosecutors interest and possible arrest this weekend frighten him off altogether?

You're not the only one who asked that question: http://www.sueddeuts...ernie-1.1419405
The papers tells us that several businessmen had an appointment with Bernie at the track, waited and waited - but he didn't show up.

It looked he could have faced an appointment with some prosecutors he rather wouldn't meet.....

#343 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:12

Locking up BE and Grib won't solve anything.

Well, that would be two, which is probably one more than in US.

#344 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,592 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:13

there must've been a marathon somewhere that needed an extra half-spectator :)

#345 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:20

Keep up guys will you
Bernie had a serious family emergency
Tamara has found out the douche she was supposed to marry was cheating on her :eek:

:cool:

#346 BRG

BRG

• 11,446 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:24

Tamara has found out the douche she was supposed to marry was cheating on her :eek:

Poor darling. Here, have another $100 million, now doesn't that feel better, sweetie?

#347 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:31

Poor darling. Here, have another $100 million, now doesn't that feel better, sweetie?

Don't you joke about that you heartless little fella  ;)
It's serious apparently
She gave him back the Bentley he gave her and she repossessed the Aventador
the horror

#348 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:05

You're not the only one who asked that question: http://www.sueddeuts...ernie-1.1419405
The papers tells us that several businessmen had an appointment with Bernie at the track, waited and waited - but he didn't show up.

It looked he could have faced an appointment with some prosecutors he rather wouldn't meet.....

Bernie's absence also noted on BBC Radio 5 - and the same speculation in the paddock. The judge's sum up at the trial was fairly damning after all.

#349 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:12

Keep up guys will you
Bernie had a serious family emergency

Hasn't papa eyed Sebi for a while as a good candidate for the job? (I know Seb has a girlfriend for a longest of time).

#350 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 20:42

Joe Saward was a little ahead of reports here.

His post on July 20.

According to widespread reports in the German newspapers the Munich prosecution service is preparing an official investigation into Bernie Ecclestone’s involvement in the Gribkowsky Affair. The Prosecution Service itself is saying nothing.
The investigation is, however, entirely predictable after the recent comments by the judge when sentencing Gribkowsky to eight and a half years in jail. In fact, it is fair to say that the Bavarian prosecutors do not really have a choice, as it is their duty to investigate any matter as soon as an allegation of criminal activity has been raised.

I think this looks very bad for Bernie and signals his imminent demise. Rich people arguing about wobbly money - plus expensive lawyers - can go on forever, but lying in court is a clear cut crime.

-