Clark & Senna

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 22:51

Hi,

Was bored tonight so I've spent the evening watching You Tube clips from the 60's to the mid 90's
and something struck me. It might have been said many times before, if so, I apologise for
making a pointless thread but from some camera angles Ayrton Senna has a distinct look of
Jim Clark about him. Sometimes not so much but from some angles I was shocked how alike
they are.

Does anyone else think this?

Advertisement

#2 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 23:35

Having seen both of them at the track, my opinion is yes. But this 'yes' is a 'don't know how to explain it' thing. Their styles just looked similar to me. And for some strange reason, the first time I saw Hamilton I thought the same thing. Dunno....impressions that's all.

Edited by jj2728, 08 January 2011 - 18:31.

#3 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:24

:confused: What do you mean?

Physical appearance? Not that I noticed.
Driving Style? I never saw Clark drive as though he had a God-given right to every piece of the track whether someone else was occupying it or not.
Attitude? Poles apart.

#4 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:52

:confused: What do you mean?

Physical appearance? Not that I noticed.
Driving Style? I never saw Clark drive as though he had a God-given right to every piece of the track whether someone else was occupying it or not.
Attitude? Poles apart.

Seconded.

#5 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 13:28

At least I hope he meant driving styles.....other than the God given right to every piece of track that is.....

#6 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 13:39

I actually mean facial appearance (from certain angles)

While I greatly admire both of them, I don't think their driving style is that similar.

#7 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 13:50

I could never see Senna's face when he was driving.

#8 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 14:08

I could never see Senna's face when he was driving.

It has been said, by Henry Manney among other contemporary commentators, that Clark often looked frightened when he was driving, and I suppose it's just about possible to interpret some open-face helmet pics that way. It seems improbable to me though, in a man who apparently had no qualms about racing on high speed ovals like Indy, and although he didn't like Spa, that never stopped him from racing there. I don't know whether Jim was 'a believer', though I imagine that Senna's belief that his God was with him at all times would have prevented him from ever experiencing on-track fear, though with full-face helmets we'd never see any sign of it. Other than their racing skill, I'd have thought that two more different men would be hard to find, and I can't se any physical likeness at all.

#9 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 18:04

I actually mean facial appearance (from certain angles)

While I greatly admire both of them, I don't think their driving style is that similar.

I always felt the same - the eyes, the cut of the face as well as a similar passion and agony were mirrored on both faces and made them look quite alike at some moments.

#10 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 20:17

Seconded.

Thirded

#11 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 22:08

Having seen both of them at the track, my opinion is yes. But this 'yes' is a 'don't know how to explain it' thing. Their styles just looked similar to me. And for some strange reason, the first time I saw Hamilton I thought the same thing. Dunno....impressions that's all.

I feel exactly the same. I am not old enough to have seen Jim Clark at the track but I saw Senna and for some reason I did see a similarity. Certainly they were always my two favourite drivers...and when Lewis Hamilton came on the scene I became a fan because he reminded me of Senna. It's nice to know it's not just me that thinks this. :)

Edited by Coral, 08 January 2011 - 22:10.

#12 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:18

Can't see much likeness, apart from the intensity and darkness of the eyes. Now, Clay Regazzoni and Fernando Alonso... :eek:

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:04

I learned long ago that likenesses one person sees between two people are not always noticeable by others

I can see visual similarities between Clark and Senna, but not so strong that I would comment on them out loud. But I don't get Regazzoni and Alonso

Senna and Alonso might be a closer comparison

But it's all in the eye of the beholder, and pointless to expect others to agree :)